PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a Telepath effective against Undead?

Bean Wack
2013-05-24, 11:49 PM
My DM is starting to bring undead into the campaign a lot more as time has progressed.
As a psion in the telepathy field, I have been close to useless when it comes to handling them.
Sinse undead are immune to mind-effecting effects, it makes it close to impossible for me to do anything.
Though it hasn't come up yet, this issue can be applied to constructs as well.

So my question is, what can I do to solve the issue here?
He is a seventh level character Psion5/Thrallherd2.
My Thrall is a Shaper and will become a Constructor from the Mind's Eye Archive.
Using my Thrall to protect me has been the general plan thus far, but in the case he is not there, I need something that will back me up.
Are there some really good powers that I'm missing or something to make undead no longer immune to mind effecting effects or is there just realistically no way?

Note: This is 3.5 Grey Hawk setting and you lose a manifesting level for first lvl taken for Thrallherd.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-24, 11:58 PM
See if your DM will let you use Song of the Dead for powers. It's in Dragon #312 and the Dragon Compendium vol. 1 and allows you to use mind affecting spells on intelligent undead as +1 metamagic.

Deaxsa
2013-05-25, 12:08 AM
See if your DM will let you use Song of the Dead for powers. It's in Dragon #312 and the Dragon Compendium vol. 1 and allows you to use mind affecting spells on intelligent undead as +1 metamagic.

or, if you think your Dm will buy it, ask if he will let you just plain old use mind-affecting things on intelligent undead (they have minds, after all).

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 12:19 AM
Just … don't use Telepathy powers on undead? :smallconfused: There's no law that says "SHOULDST THOU BE A TELEPATH PSION, THOU SHALT SURELY SELECT ONLY POWERS THAT BELONGETH TO THY DISCIPLINE OF TELEPATHY", y'know?

Depending on whether you're using CPsi's inconsistent rules on DR and powers, crystal shard might be decent. Energy ray/blast/bolt/wall can be good, or energy push or deceleration or psionic grease for a bit of debuffing. Telekinetic thrust is good if you have lots of stuff to toss around.

Vaz
2013-05-25, 12:21 AM
If you can get telepathy, such as by asking for a psionic adaptation of mindbender, or a 2 feat chain from incarnum, you can then qualify for mindsight. While you don't exactly get the ability to completely obliterate the undead, you can locate the intelligent ones. combine with lichloved for them not to recognise you and you can scout reasonably well (doubly so if you metamorphic transfer into a spellweaver).

Spuddles
2013-05-25, 12:58 AM
Dominate a cleric.

JusticeZero
2013-05-25, 01:16 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is, uhm.. you get Schism (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/schism). That's a big plus. The second thing is that a Telepath increasingly becomes a face, not a controller - they get to be terrifying by manipulating people and knowing things, not by melting faces. The face melting is done in the standard list, not the telepath one.

Vaz
2013-05-25, 01:17 AM
You have both telepath and standard lists access.

JusticeZero
2013-05-25, 01:27 AM
Yeah, that's what I said. The telepath list is a bonus; it gives you stuff like Schism, and some fearful face powers. Those will help when you use the standard list to wreak havok.

Bean Wack
2013-05-25, 01:36 AM
The Song of the Dead is a great idea, and I think maybe I can convince him to do it if maybe I have to spend 1 or 2 additional power points to make it work.
As for just convincing him that I should be able to effect intelligent undead, he didn't buy it, but to be fair it was strongly argued. To top it off, there is an undead amongst the party so he may have argued as well.
The mindsight sounds wonderful just for the flavor, but may be too much to take up.

I am aware that the telepath is generally just a face, but I still need to protect myself, and the last 4 fights have been undead only.
I have just found myself running while my thrall protects my weak self.
The general issue for why I don't like to use crystal and energy weapons is I'm trying to stay true to the telepath and just keep strong emphasis on it.
If a very good physical attack comes up like Disintegrate and Fuse Flesh, I might take them, but that is quite some levels away, and I don't want to make a habit of it.

JusticeZero
2013-05-25, 01:59 AM
There's also the idea of making yourself more of a party buffer? I'm not sure how to do well at that without Vitalist or Tactician levels offhand, alas. I'm sure it's doable.

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 02:04 AM
I am aware that the telepath is generally just a face, but I still need to protect myself, and the last 4 fights have been undead only.
I have just found myself running while my thrall protects my weak self.
The general issue for why I don't like to use crystal and energy weapons is I'm trying to stay true to the telepath and just keep strong emphasis on it.

Well, the pure telepath approach is probably to dominate some disposable minions and have them guard you, but that is maybe a bit evil. Other than that, well, sticking too closely to a narrow specialization has its costs and downsides, so you should consider just how much your character really wants to stick to that.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-25, 03:06 AM
Well, the pure telepath approach is probably to dominate some disposable minions and have them guard you, but that is maybe a bit evil.

He's a thrallherd. He's doing that already.

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 04:04 AM
He's a thrallherd. He's doing that already.

My reading comprehension is not what it should be tonight. :smallsigh:

Anyway. Do more of that! Don't expect to face each foe head-on in the same way.

Psyren
2013-05-25, 04:38 AM
Just … don't use Telepathy powers on undead? :smallconfused: There's no law that says "SHOULDST THOU BE A TELEPATH PSION, THOU SHALT SURELY SELECT ONLY POWERS THAT BELONGETH TO THY DISCIPLINE OF TELEPATHY", y'know?

Yep, that.

If you don't like the feel of energy or crystals, how about force? I'm a big fan of Concussion Blast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/concussionBlast.htm) for instance. Be Jean Grey! The nice thing about this power is how few monsters can defend against it, and it will help you out vs. incorporeal undead too. It's also handy for smashing locks and breaking open chests from afar. It's also great for knocking characters out with nonlethal to render them "willing." (Handy for things like Mindlink.)

The point is - you can be pure if you want, but the problem with purity is that it has drawbacks. You'll have to weigh that against doing more in a fight than running and hiding behind your minions.