PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Puppeteer

CIDE
2013-05-25, 11:08 AM
I recently read through the monster listings in the XPH and noticed the Puppeteer monster (Pg 209). No level adjust or anything to indicate that it would be possible to play. It however is pretty weak on its own. It got me thinking though about the possibility of playing one of these creatures in something akin to goa'uld from Stargate.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter? How you'd pull it off or present it to a DM? Restructure it though I want to avoid homebrewing anything.

Insane Trystane
2015-09-30, 04:23 PM
Hey, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I actually was just searching for info on this as well. Thematically, my half-baked idea would be a shout-out to the Stanley Parable: a Puppeteer controlling a mute fighter/barbarian of some kind. Since the Puppeteer has telepathy within 20 feet, he would basically narrate all of Stanley's actions, which the people around him would be able to hear. Like this:

"Stanley walked up to the bar and ordered an ale. The bartender looked at him in perplexed befuddlement: was he hearing voices? Where was that narration coming from? Stanley shrugged and explained that it just seemed to happen naturally around him, and that it's best if the bartender didn't put much more thought into it." (Of course, the DM would explain how the people around your character would act, but it's just an example.)

Odd? Very. Doable? Maybe not. Fun? I'm willing to bet a character sheet that it is. I'm meeting up with a new DM in a few days; if this ends up being my character I'll let you know how it went!