PDA

View Full Version : Seas of the Mind [PrC]

The Demented One
2006-11-29, 09:11 PM
Mind Diver

“The first mind I dove into was my father's. I could see nothing but hatred for me in his heart. My mother had died giving birth to me. I was sure he was going to kill me. When I came to, my village was engulfed in flames. I see you have suffered the same trauma.”

Some psions specialize in reaching into the minds of others. These talented telepaths can learn any secret, uncover any fear, and break even the strongest of minds. They do not simply read thoughts–they immerse themselves in the minds of others, diving deep into their subconscious. Against such a Mind Diver, there can be no defense but a strong mind–and even that falls before their probing reach.

d4 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Mind Diver, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Psicraft 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks
Manifesting: Must be able to manifest 3rd level psionic powers. Must know the read thoughts power.

Class Skills
The Mind Diver’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Manifesting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Telepathy|–
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Mind Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Defensive Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Fear Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Memory Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Perception Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Mass Mind Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Sanity Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Shattering Dive|+1 level of manifesting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Ego Dive|–
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Mind Diver prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Manifesting
Whenever you gain a new Mind Diver level, except at 1st and 10th, you gain new power points per day and powers known as if you had also gained a level in a manifesting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Telepathy (Su)
At 1st level, you gain the ability to telepathically communicate with any creature that has a language within 10 ft. of you. At each subsequent level, the range of your telepathy increases by 10 ft. As a move action, you may expend your psionic focus to double the range of your telepathy until the beginning of your next round.

Mind Dive (Ps)
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to pry into the thoughts of others. At will as a standard action, you may attempt to read the thoughts of any creature within the range of your telepathy. That creature must make a Will save, DC 10 + your class level + your primary manifesting attribute. If it saves, you immediately learn its surface thoughts, as the read thoughts power. In addition, you perceive its past actions, seeing everything it has done from a number of minutes into the past equal to your manifester level to the present. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Defensive Dive (Su)
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to telepathically sense your foes’ intent to attack you, and to use this information to dodge their blows. Once per encounter, when you have successfully read an enemy’s thoughts with your mind dive ability, you gain a +1 insight bonus to AC against all attacks made by that enemy for the remainder of the encounter. This bonus increases to +2 at 7th level, and to +3 at 10th level.

Fear Dive (Ps)
At 4th level, you gain the ability to awaken a creature’s deepest fears. Once per day, you may telepathically project a wave of dread. All creatures within the range of your telepathy must make a Will save, DC 10 + your class level + your primary manifesting attribute, or be shaken for 2d4 rounds. Even if they succeed on their save, they are shaken for 1 round. If a creature fails its save by 5 or more, it is also nauseated for 1d4 rounds, disgusted by the images it has seen. You cannot spare any creatures other than your self from this–even your own allies fall prey to this dread. You may use this ability two times per day at 7th level, and three times per day at 10th level. This is a mind affecting, fear ability.

Memory Dive (Ps)
At 5th level, once per day, when a creature fails its save against your mind dive ability, you may either alter its memories, as the psionic modify memory power, or examine its memories, as the probe thoughts power, with manifester level equal to your own. The creature is allowed at second Will save, at the same DC as that of the mind dive ability, to resist this ability. You may use this ability twice per day at 7th level, and three times per day at 9th level. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion ability.

Perception Dive (Ps)
At 6th level, you gain the ability to telepathically alter the perception of those around you, masking your presence. Once per day, as a standard action, you may attempt to cloud the perception of all creatures within the range of your telepathy, as the mass cloud mind power, with manifester level equal to your own. All targets may attempt a Will save, DC 10 + your class level + your primary manifesting attribute, to resist having their minds clouded. If a creature whose mind has been clouded leaves the range of your telepathy, the effect is lifted. However, new creatures entering into your telepathy’s range are not affected. You may use this ability twice per day at 8th level, and three times per day at 10th level. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Mass Mind Dive (Ps)
At 7th level, whenever you use your mind dive ability, you may target all creatures within the range of your telepathy, instead of only one.

Sanity Dive (Ps)
At 8th level, once per day, when a creature fails its save against your mind dive ability, you may render it insane, as the psionic insanity power, with manifester level equal to your own. The creature is allowed at second Will save, at the same DC as that of the mind dive ability, to resist this ability. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion ability.

Shattering Dive (Ps)
At 9th level, any of your class abilities from this class that are mind-affecting ignore the effects of psionic mind block or similar effects.

Ego Dive (Ps)
At 10th level, whenever a creature of any type fails its save against your mind dive ability, you may choose to take control of it, as the psionic dominate power, with manifester level equal to your own. The creature is allowed at second Will save, at the same DC as that of the mind dive ability, to resist the control. If it fails its save, it becomes dominated. Although you must concentrate to maintain the duration of this ability, as long as the controlled creature is within the range of your telepathy, you need only take a swift action to maintain concentration. You may only control one creature at a time with this ability. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion ability.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-11-29, 09:47 PM
Love the concept, seems resonably balanced as well.

A campaign that I am running in the future has all those capable of psionics completely shunned by society, often acted violently upon, and infact the use of psionics is completely illegal in most places.

Its classes like this that the people are afraid of.

The Demented One
2006-11-29, 09:56 PM
A campaign that I am running in the future has all those capable of psionics completely shunned by society, often acted violently upon, and infact the use of psionics is completely illegal in most places.
So your campaign is the WotC Psionics board?

Khantalas
2006-11-30, 05:39 AM
So your campaign is the WotC Psionics board?

Very true.

And I feel like you partly stole my idea. Now I can't post my own because people will think it's "inspired" by this thing (although the class abilities are different).

The Demented One
2006-11-30, 07:37 AM
Almost as if I...read your mind?