View Full Version : Bad Guys...

BeccaLynn85
2006-11-29, 09:15 PM
So... Just out of curiousity... who's you favorite villain or villainess of all time???

I will go first...

Poison Ivy. (in fact shes my favorite comic book character)

Wooter
2006-11-29, 11:12 PM
The Joker, no contest.

Now, if I could only find a store that carries The Killing Joke...

Ambrogino
2006-11-30, 05:17 AM
The Joker, no contest.

Now, if I could only find a store that carries The Killing Joke...

It's reprinted in the second edition of the Alan Moore anthology from DC.

I can't think of a favourite villain off the top of my head - in many ways I prefer the soap opera stuff between heroes more than the action type plots. I've got a soft spot for really stupid goofy villains that get an awesome re-spec, like what Gail Simone did with Catman or Brian Michael Bendis with Purple Man.

Jack_Banzai
2006-11-30, 11:24 AM
It's reprinted in the second edition of the Alan Moore anthology from DC.

I can't think of a fovaourite villain off the top of my head - in many ways I prefer the soap opera stuff between heroes more than the action type plots. I've got a soft spot for really stupid goofy villains that get an awesome re-sprc, like what Gail Simone did with Catman or Brian Michael Bendis with Purple Man.

I don't suppose you caught James Robinson's reinvention of the Ragdoll in the pages of Starman? Changed him from a triple-jointed sneak thief into the head of a murder cult, like Charlie Manson... tres creepy.

Jerthanis
2006-11-30, 03:07 PM
DOOM!

Dr. Doom is the second smartest scientist in the world, after Reed Richards, and the second most powerful sorcerer after Dr. Strange. Combine this with literally an entire country worth of resources, and the love and real devotion of his countrymen, that makes him difficult to engage, and you can't put him in jail either. Extreme megalomania coupled with an obsession with perfection and the self worshipping narcissism to go with it... the only way anyone could ever beat him is by him making a mistake due to overconfidence.

Selrahc
2006-11-30, 06:03 PM
Gotta agree. Doom is the greatest comic book villain ever.

Kang is pretty cool too.

Dhavaer
2006-11-30, 06:40 PM
Doom conquers all!
The only other contender I can think of is Ozymandias.

Askenada
2006-11-30, 11:34 PM
Mole Man.

>.>

<.<

What?

Ing
2006-12-01, 01:49 AM
Luthor
Joker
Mad Hatter
Poison Ivy
Shade

Logic
2006-12-01, 04:15 AM
I doubt anyone is going to pick my favorite besides me.

Harley Quinn.

Beleriphon
2006-12-01, 04:28 AM
I'm going to back up my boy Doom. Riiiiiiiiiichards!

Gwahahahaha! Oh and the Joker.

Megalomaniac2
2006-12-01, 07:02 PM
Doc Ock, because I want his arms.

The Shocker, because I like his attitude, or lack thereof.

And Doctor Doom because... WHAT? YOU DARE QUESTION WHY TRIBUTE SHOULD BE PAID TO DOOM! PREPARE FOR YOUR ANNIHILATION!

Hoorex
2006-12-01, 07:15 PM
Venom, but I'm not talking about the normal basically buff spiderman venom, I'm talking the massive brute that has to lean over and walk on his knuckles venom...

Foeofthelance
2006-12-01, 09:21 PM
Magneto. Doom is all ego, Magneto is the guy who can be a minute away from finishing his evil plot, then not follow through because either A) He's made his point. B) He's realized there is a critical flaw to quickly correct. C) He's got something better/more important to take care of first.

Besides, what's better then a villain who plots out chess strategies as part of his revenge plans?

Ambrogino
2006-12-02, 02:00 AM
I don't suppose you caught James Robinson's reinvention of the Ragdoll in the pages of Starman? Changed him from a triple-jointed sneak thief into the head of a murder cult, like Charlie Manson... tres creepy.

I haven't (I've only read the first 2 trades of Starman) but thats exactly the kind of thing Im talking about - cheers for letting me know.

Jack_Banzai
2006-12-02, 04:30 AM
I haven't (I've only read the first 2 trades of Starman) but thats exactly the kind of thing Im talking about - cheers for letting me know.

It is in the "Times Past" Starman trade. James Robinson is a master of retcon. Oh, not Alan Moore caliber, but who is?

comicshorse
2006-12-02, 11:30 AM
Ra's Al Ghul or the new Penguin, where he's a hands-off crime-lord rather than a silly villain with gimmick umberella's

Beleriphon
2006-12-02, 08:43 PM
Ra's Al Ghul or the new Penguin, where he's a hands-off crime-lord rather than a silly villain with gimmick umberella's

Tell me he still has gimmick umbrellas though!

BeccaLynn85
2006-12-04, 05:02 PM

Harley Quinn.

Actually... next to Ivy, she is my fave. I am actually in the process of sewing a Harely costume right now for my best friend to wear to ComiCon next summer.... and I just finished my Ivy costume for that same purpose. I love Harley too...

Jerthanis
2006-12-06, 09:02 PM

Harley Quinn.

Actually, Harley made her debut in the Animated Series, and fans liked her so much she began turning up in the comics and got a whole deep, complex backstory, and has really strong thematic ties to the Joker. Harley Quinn is EXTREMELY popular.

And Doom beat the pants off Magneto in one of the House of M sidestories, and only lost thanks to the capriciousness of his son and the abuse he had foisted upon Ben Grimm... making a mistake due to overconfidence.

WarColonel
2006-12-06, 09:46 PM
Lex Luther and Joker, both, because they really were the one's who got under their respective arch-nemises skin to such an extent. Heck, if anyone read a recent-ish Batman/Superman hardcover (I forget the actual name), Supe almost kills him because of what Lex has done, with Batman egging the big guy on in the corner.

If you can think of someone else who can get Superman, the pinical justice poster-boy, to think about murder, please do tell.

Entertainer13
2006-12-07, 03:17 PM
A tie between Doctor Octopus and Megatron. Those two just get my blood pumping.

Mark Waid helped me respect Doom more as a villain after the "Unthinkable" arc.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-12-07, 05:10 PM
Magneto.
Agreed, because he's a very complex and even sympathetic character, rather than a simple thug. Eric Magnus Lensherr's reasons for despising humanity are, at its root, very personal: he used his powers to save his wife (depending on which version you've read, it was to save her from the Nazis in the concentration camps or from drowning)...and instead of being grateful, she called him a monster and ran out on him. I can relate to losing a loved one because of a deeply personal revelation, and see how the guilt and rage could twist someone into a self-proclaimed messiah who is ultimately worse than what he fight against. Magda Lensherr was pregnant with twins at the time, and sadly died in childbirth before they could reconcile. Magnus never even saw his kids until they were teens or young adults. Actually, in a way, Magneto's life story mirrors another all-time favorite baddie of mine, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

I'm also a great fan of Joker, and at another board I participated in a debate as to whether he's really funny or just pathetic. I've characterized him as "Charlie Manson, cursed with the face of a clown" and speculated that he may suffer antisocial and narcissistic personality disorders, and all the jokes and madcap props are simply an elaborate mask for his low self-esteem. I also find Two-Face fascinating because his self-hatred leads him to actually damage his face again after it is repaired, and to victimize others--e.g. outing Det. Montoya as a lesbian after she breaks his heart and ruining her reputation. In B:TAS his behavior is so loathsome to him that his already fragmented personality splits again and creates a third face, "The Judge". This ruthless superego personality, whom he doesn't know is there, trashes Penguin's nightclub, beats up Killer Croc, and it's also implied he kills Riddler.

A word on female supervillains: I guess it's fun to make evil sexy and appealing and all but busting out of its blouse, but why not for once make the villainess a 300-pound whale with a bad complexion, flyway hair, and a mustache?

Jack_Banzai
2006-12-07, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Green Goblin. What a friggin' nutcase.

Brady_Kj
2006-12-07, 09:38 PM
Luthor. God I love his Infinity Inc, and his marketing department making his Everyman Project to be the best thing to happen to the world. And at some point, the whole thing's going to blow up in the world's face, and Luthor will profit big-time. (I admit, however, I haven't read the last few issues of 52; this may have already happened.)

Logic
2006-12-08, 07:22 AM
A word on female supervillains: I guess it's fun to make evil sexy and appealing and all but busting out of its blouse, but why not for once make the villainess a 300-pound whale with a bad complexion, flyway hair, and a mustache?
Because then it would be taking the sterotype to the extreme opposite end. Its exactly the same as a half-orc Wizard or Paladin.

Just make a normal human being that happens to be female and then turn her into a villian.

But then again, some writer will come along and make her drop dead gorgeuos and seething with sexual tension...

Ebon_Drake
2006-12-08, 07:46 AM
I'm quite fond of Mr. Sinister, based mainly off his appearances in the '90s X-Men cartoon. He had a really cool voice, gave his minions ridiculous names and could take a shot to the gut without even flinching. Plus he did evil things to Cyclops and Jean Grey, which is a policy I can agree with.

Orca? (http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/2005/08/lame-ass-villain-10-orca.html) She definitely meets the 300-pound whale part. Cassandra Nova is perhaps a better example, you'd be hard-pressed to describe her as sexy.

You're absolutely right about Magneto, he's one of the most believable villains in comics (mutant powers aside, obviously.) His aims and the reasons behind them are well-explained, logical and tragic, making him far more interesting than just a generic psychopath or godlike BBEG. Of course, this applies to other effective villains like Sabretooth, Catwoman, Doom and Luthor as well, but Magneto is by far the best example IMO.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-08, 09:02 AM
Most definitely Sabretooth. Come on, an awesome evil Wolverine? I am so sold.

Dib
2006-12-08, 09:11 AM
But he just doesn't have the claws...

I'm gonna have to go with Apocalypse, he's just too cool.

Although Venom is another one of my tops...

So is Zuko from Avatar, but that's not a comic...

Who's the villain in JtHM? Maybe Nny is?

Mysterio's kinda cool... but too weak...

Scarlet Witch is actually hella cool, Quicksilver not so much...

As you can see my personal list doesn't stop...

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-08, 03:48 PM
Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister are my 2 picks if I would do my top five they would be
Joker
Mojo
Green Goblin

Entertainer13
2006-12-12, 03:49 PM
Well, there's three Mysterios now.

Klum - A teleporter with powers similar to Nightcrawler. He uses Mysterio's gear to amp his abilities, among which include a low level of mind-control

Mysterio II - An old friend of Beck's. He used to be a Jack O'Lantern, but took up Beck's legacy after one of his disappearances, and then again after Beck's death. Recently fought Klum over the title of Mysterio.

Quentin Beck - Currently back as apparently a demon. Let's see where that goes.

Jared_Arcane
2006-12-28, 03:58 AM
Me have not read talk of villains, but me not vote for Bizzaro as worst villian. Me not like him alot.:frown:

sun_tzu
2006-12-28, 11:28 AM
If we're restricted to DC/Marvel villains, then I say Luthor, then Dr Doom. I just love evil geniuses.

Logic
2006-12-28, 08:57 PM
Me have not read talk of villains, but me not vote for Bizzaro as worst villian. Me not like him alot.:frown:
You not talk nonsense. Bizzaro worstest villian. :smallyuk:

"HE AM BACK!"
-Bizzaro-

StudlyDuck
2006-12-30, 09:27 PM
Mr. Sinister is my top pick. He is utterly cold and calculating. Every act he makes is completely practical and without an ounce of real malice behind it. Every murder is for the sake of science. What's more, he has no problem waiting centuries for his plans to fall into place.

Dib
2006-12-30, 09:39 PM
hmm... I've only seen Bizarro in the Justic League Unlimited cartoon... I'm not sure how that compares to the comics... he seems alright, just a little lacking in imagination on the creator's part...

twerk_face
2006-12-30, 10:43 PM
The 2 stupid rat creatures from the comic "Bone", by Jeff Smith. But I don't know if they would really be counted as villains.

zeratul
2007-01-07, 08:02 PM
Ulik and DR. doom are cool.

Stoneburr
2007-01-07, 10:00 PM
I don't know, I guess, my vote would go for the thugs/mooks/henchmen.

Now yeah, they suck, are a dime a dozen, are get chucked aside by most super heroes, but, what major Mastermind style of villian would get anywhere at all with plain old thugs?(Or minorly-superpowerd thugs, supersuit wearing soilders, etc...)

Stand up for the little guy! :smallyuk:

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-08, 10:19 PM
Son of Jor-el, kneel before Zod!

hmmm... actually, i have a varitable cornucopia of favourite villains. Zod being one of them, but picking a favourite is hard. My list would be (from DC, Marvel, and others):

Zod
The Joker (if I had to choose a number one he'd probably be it.)
Mr.Sinister
Darkseid
Blackheart
Venom (pre-Anti-Hero stage)
can't have Venom and not have Carnage
God from The Preacher, he is basically the main antagonist, if not a villain in the classic sense.
Rasputin from Hellboy
The entire Hellfire Club back in the 80's & early 90's when they were basically supervillain goths.
Surprised noone's mentioned an Manga character yet, so I'm going to: Shishi-Oh from Kenshin.
I really really liked Danger from Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men comics.

I know there's more, but I just can't think of any right now. Been a while since I've read any standard comics except for the DC v. Marvel graphic novel that I found floating around a Border's nearby. It was a rare find in my part of the world. I'm too busy reading stuff like Preacher, Hellboy, Sandman, ect. the off-beat stuff.

sun_tzu
2007-01-09, 04:00 PM
I don't know, I guess, my vote would go for the thugs/mooks/henchmen.

Now yeah, they suck, are a dime a dozen, are get chucked aside by most super heroes, but, what major Mastermind style of villian would get anywhere at all with plain old thugs?(Or minorly-superpowerd thugs, supersuit wearing soilders, etc...)

Stand up for the little guy! :smallyuk:
Holy...That reminds me: "The Henchmen", the criminal gang that made a short appearance in the Batman/Superman comics. They didn't last long, but I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Dhavaer
2007-01-12, 01:57 AM
Samael the Morningstar is great, although whether he's actually a bad guy or not is up in the air.

"I am the Morningstar, the Shepherd of Suns. You think fire can harm me?"

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-12, 03:38 PM
I wrote up a huge list that had reasons and everything, but the forum decided to time me out since I didn't want to automatically log in.... perils of posting from a school computer. So I guess I'll just make a list. These are in no particular order (except for Doom, who is A#1 and not going to let you forget it!)

1. Dr. Victor Von Doom
2. Slade Wilson/Deathstroke the Terminator
3. Harvey Dent/Two-Face
4. Bane
5. Ra's Al-Ghoul
6. Erik "Magnus" Lensherr/Magneto
7. The Wrecking Crew
8. Mortimer Toynbee/Toad
9. Ultron
10. Bullseye
11. M.O.D.O.K
12. Annihilus
13. Frank Castle/The Punisher (yeah, I consider him a villain. I could fill up essays with why...)
14. Victor Creed/Sabretooth
15. Mirror Master II (the cheeky Scottish one)
16. Bizarro
17. Lex Luthor
18. Sublime
19. Angelo Unscione/Unus the Untouchable Man
20. Fred J. Dukes/The Blob ("Nothing moves THE BLOB!" lol. He sucks so bad it hurts.)
21. The Matador (lol remember this guy)
22. Mystique

Uh, I'm just sticking with the villains of Marvel/DC's superhero continuities... if I included Manga, Vertigo and Independant comics the list would probably just explode.... on a side note, I don't consider Galactus a villain because really he's more like a force of nature than anything else.

Nightwing
2007-02-07, 05:57 PM
Deathstroke. Definitely Dethstroke. He fought Batman to a stand still. Also he is Nightwings arch nemesis.

Wippit Guud
2007-02-07, 10:01 PM
Clown.

Nothing like a pathetic, worthless, antagonistic, sarcasic piece of slime that gets pissed and goes all Violator on everyone.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-02-15, 04:45 PM
Syler, from the Heroes TV show. Can you say 'creepy'?

From comics...you have to admire Darkseid, who's practically the EMBODIMENT of evil. Godzilla Grod is pretty whacked-out too.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-03-16, 07:29 PM
Definetely the Joker. I always have a soft spot in my heart for insane people... it might have something to do with my family.

:smallamused:

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-16, 07:50 PM
God, it's like asking me what my favorite ice cream is.

Among my comic favorites are the Joker, Darkseid, Deathstroke, Venom, Doom, Bullseye, Luthor, and the newly added Superboy-Prime. Come on, he fought nearly every hero in the DC Universe before being detained. It was also neat watching him fall from one of the universe's greatest heroes into a big league psychopath.

captainswift
2007-03-16, 09:28 PM
Cobra Commander.