PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mega Man Level Ever

Rosstin
2013-05-25, 04:37 PM
Hey guys, Rosstin here. I'm designing levels for a shoot and scoot style game and I'm looking for inspiration from the best levels from the Mega Man series. What's your absolute favorite level in a Mega Man game, and why?

(I know a lot of people like to rave about the Mega Man X tutorial stage, but I'm thinking more in terms of later gameplay levels, like Heatman's stage in MM1, or Wily 2 in MM2, etc.)

Tengu_temp
2013-05-25, 04:52 PM
First stage of Wily's castle in Megaman 2 and the intro stage of Megaman Zero 2. Yeah, it's because of the music.

Eldariel
2013-05-25, 05:21 PM
I was about to say the same regarding Wily 1-2 from MM2.

Mechanically, I'd honestly have to say Quickman's stage from MM2. Sure, it's quite devilish but that's the way it should be! Maybe it should be the hardmode or whatever, but the stage:
1) Catches the "feel" of the name quite well. The boss and the level both feel like "Quickman's" (aside from the tacklefires but eh).
2) Is challenging for both, a newbie and a veteran (has both, the things you learn by playing like laser beam locations, pathways and such, and on the other hand the reaction battle and execution of actually getting through those parts).
3) Ends is a dynamic boss fight; you can learn everything you want about Quickman but he still offers a dynamic, interesting adversary.

Far as memorability goes, it's up there. Good music doesn't hurt either. But like, he's a genuinely hard boss without stupid gimmicks like Brightman or Wily Machine 2 from MM2, and the stage has a cool feel to it (music, playstyle, difficulty, it all adds up) and the difficulty makes it memorable, especially with how many times I've played it.

Granted, it's been over 10 years since most of my Megaman experience, so that might also have a part in why it's still on top of my head; because it's the one that burned there the strongest. But...isn't that more or less what you're asking anyways?

IncoherentEssay
2013-05-25, 05:45 PM
Seconding Quickman. Adding Metalman, Ringman, and Diveman. All of their stages have their own gimmicks that fit the theme and add to the gameplay without trumping it.
Crashman and Flashman stages are bad imo, they lock you on a route and punish you for it if you don't have the right weapons/items. The Crushers in Dustman's stage are also less than ideal for replacing the normal gameplay (and killing you if you lose your patience and decide to risk it).

MM2 Wily 1 has awesome music but the stage itself is dull as can be and the Item 1 platforming part is just annoying.

Triaxx
2013-05-25, 10:08 PM
Ugh. I hate Quickman's level. I NEVER got past those stupid beams with more than one life remaining so I never successuflly beat the Bot himself. I only finished it by locating a code where he was already gone.

I've got to say that SnakeMan's level in MM3 is a personal favorite. The theme and environment added challenge to the level, without making it unduly difficult.

Tomahawkman's level in 6 was great, because you had to play it a couple of times to get all the goodies. Once to defeat him. Once to defeat the 'real' him, once with the power armor, and once to collect all the letters you might not even know about the first time around.

Trainman's level from 5 was also fun, and very in theme without going overboard, unlike the annoying water level from the same game. Another one I never beat, and since I was on a black and white television, it wasn't much use trying to enter the two color code.

Tvtyrant
2013-05-25, 11:16 PM
Burstman stage from MM 7 is one of my favorites. Riding bubbles up out of the water, tight spike groupings with enemies, it had it all. I am a big fan of water levels overall, with Launch Octopus's stage and Dive Man's stage both being awesome!

Basically I like the spike traps, large jumps into a possible abyss and the mini-boss features of those water levels.

I also like Slash Man's level. It had a great theme (jurassic park!) and cool moments like riding a dino over spikes and fighting a fire-breathing T-rex.

Rosstin
2013-05-26, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the picks. Yeah, Quickman's stage is probably my absolute favorite stage of all time.

Triaxx
2013-05-27, 05:58 AM
Are you doing a Megaman style level select? If so, I loved the interaction between levels in MMX. Where defeating Storm Eagle's stage changed Spark Mandrill's stage.

Rosstin
2013-05-27, 10:25 PM
Tragically, no, no level select. I can't say too much, but from what I know we're trying to do something like a cross between Metroid and Megaman style of gameplay. There is a free roaming aspect, like Metroid, where you collect upgrades and can then access new areas, but there are also segments of the world that are more like a Megaman X level. You progress along a (mostly) linear level composed of vertical or horizontal level segments, overcome various obstacles, and then fight a boss. There are secret areas which may contain restocking stuff or optional upgrades.

Right now I'm working on combining a couple level elements at a time to create small gameplay segments, trying to create interesting patterns and compelling gameplay out of the existing objects and enemies.

onionbreath
2013-05-27, 10:52 PM
I'll throw in another vote for QuickMan from MM2.

I thought the stage was also cool in that if you finished Flash Man's stage first, you had special weapon in your back pocket just in case. It wasn't an OMG I WIN button but it sure could save your bacon. But you had to hold onto it as long as possible... if you burnt up the Flash Man charge too soon and then lost later in the stage, that was damn frustrating.

FWIW, the Mega Man stage in Abobo's Big Adventure is heavily based on Quick Man, so that counts as further evidence that it's the best stage ever :smallbiggrin:

Another one of my favorites was the train stage from MMX5. I forget the boss's name though.

Cespenar
2013-05-28, 02:13 AM
Are you doing a Megaman style level select? If so, I loved the interaction between levels in MMX. Where defeating Storm Eagle's stage changed Spark Mandrill's stage.

This. Interactions and dynamism are always good. Loved that weather changing devices in MMX, for example.

DigoDragon
2013-05-28, 06:37 AM
I think Crashman's stage from MM2 was interesting. Riding the looping platforms between slow-flying enemies was fun. Though it got silly-easy if you had woodman's leaf shield.

The moving platforms in Metalman's stage was pretty cool to, especially in the boss chamber.

tigerusthegreat
2013-05-29, 08:57 PM
I think Crashman's stage from MM2 was interesting. Riding the looping platforms between slow-flying enemies was fun. Though it got silly-easy if you had woodman's leaf shield.

The moving platforms in Metalman's stage was pretty cool to, especially in the boss chamber.

I like metalman's stage, his weapon, and his look....I hated that you could defeat him with his own weapon in one hit.

That said, MM2 was my favorite of all, including new games and the X series.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-05-30, 01:32 PM
Looking back, I'd have to say the tutorial level in Megaman X1 was probably the best level in terms of design. It teaches the player just about everything they need to know about the basics of the game.

Otherwise I have to go with either Armored Armadillo or Metal Man.

Pie Guy
2013-05-30, 04:55 PM
So you're planning something like Megaman ZX?

Winthur
2013-05-30, 09:32 PM
I like metalman's stage, his weapon, and his look....I hated that you could defeat him with his own weapon in one hit.

Two hits, you casual. :smalltongue:

I kind of liked Snake Man's stage even though it doesn't make any sense with going upwards suddenly.

DigoDragon
2013-05-31, 06:25 AM
I hated that you could defeat him with his own weapon in one hit.

With good timing you can defeat Woodman in one hit with Heatman's weapon. :smallbiggrin:

(two if you're playing on the harder difficulty setting)

Karoht
2013-05-31, 01:37 PM
Armored Armadillo's stage in X.
Fast paced, the mine cart was very cool, and if you had the flamethrower, that whole level was just a non-stop action fest.
The music for that stage was good, though I never found a good remix of it that I liked.
Seconding Spark Mandril's level.
Boomer Qwanger's stage (I think) had that spot with the lasers. If you broke the beam, defenses would fire at you. With Sting Chameleon's weapon, you could just zoom through that spot, which was loads of fun.

And if you are looking for Mega Man music, make absolutely certain you check out the OC Remix collection at some point.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-05-31, 03:21 PM
The music for that stage was good, though I never found a good remix of it that I liked.

Not even this one? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGsQqgRriog)

Karoht
2013-05-31, 03:46 PM
Not even this one? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGsQqgRriog)
I'll check that one when I get home.

But, my beef with most remixes of that music (or remixes of any game music) are as follows:
-Too fast or too slow. Doesn't evoke that sense of pace that the level did.
-Too much emphasis on [instrument/sound effect]
-Too chiptune
-Needs moar chiptune (not to be confused with moar cowbell)
-Percussion is flat
-Too much percussion
-Game sound effects to fill space

Cogwheel
2013-05-31, 04:45 PM
While I don't really play Mega Man, I feel that these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyx9-kWYjDI) two (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW_Ct49H1ng) should be shared.

Partial to Quick Man and the starter of X, for what it's worth, of what litle I've played.

Rosstin
2013-05-31, 05:54 PM
So you're planning something like Megaman ZX?

I've only played a bit of Megaman ZX (up to the 3rd boss or something) but yeah, something like that.

Rosstin
2013-05-31, 10:24 PM
Right now my PM wants me to do a level that's more run and gun than the methodical puzzle-ish rooms I've been doing so far. If anyone has good inspirations for that, let me know! He's been telling me that the room should have a beat to it, you run and hop, run and jump and jump, shoot some enemies, stop for a second, keep running, etc. So I guess less obstacles, more moving right and more rhythm.

KillingAScarab
2013-06-01, 12:36 PM
Right now my PM wants me to do a level that's more run and gun than the methodical puzzle-ish rooms I've been doing so far. If anyone has good inspirations for that, let me know! He's been telling me that the room should have a beat to it, you run and hop, run and jump and jump, shoot some enemies, stop for a second, keep running, etc. So I guess less obstacles, more moving right and more rhythm.Hmm... I suppose disappearing block puzzles are out, then. Other than Heatman's near mandatory use of item 2 in Mega Man 2, and Needle Man revisited's mandatory use of Rush in Mega Man 3, I guess the NES stage which was the most successful in getting me to move forward was Gyro Man (http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mm5/sheet/25310/) in Mega Man 5. Check out the dropping floor segment just before the second elevator. That isn't an entire stage, however, so perhaps you should consider Cossack Castle 3 (http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mm4/sheet/16396/) since its two auto-scrolling segments take up most of the stage. For something with more of a "beat" to it, consider the water segment in Gemini Man from Mega Man 3.

Rosstin
2013-06-02, 01:31 AM
Thanks, Killing, I'll check those out! I just made a run-and-gun segment today. I worked really hard on it, but I couldn't resist putting in a few secret passages and probably too many enemies. Ultimately, I think I ended up breaking up the flow too much. It's hard work!

EDIT: Also, I made a sweet disappearing block puzzle a few days ago. (OK, it wasn't THAT clever, but it was pretty nice.) Megaman 2's fire level is a level I can never forget. So. Brutal.

EDIT EDIT: Dude you posted maps. Those are so awesome, those are actually super useful.

KillingAScarab
2013-06-02, 03:20 PM
EDIT EDIT: Dude you posted maps. Those are so awesome, those are actually super useful.Don't thank me, thank the people who actually do the ripping. I found another site with rips of Mega Man maps. You can check out Gemini Man and Needle Man revisited for yourself here (http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#MegaManIII).

Rosstin
2013-06-03, 12:58 AM
Wow, these are so useful. I've played Megaman 1-9, Megaman X1 and X2, all the way through. But seeing the maps laid out makes it a lot more clear, I can see the rhythm. My producer was giving me a lecture about this, how there's a beat to the jumps, and how to vary horizontal and vertical sections. It's clear from looking at these maps just how much Megaman inspired how he makes maps.

I've been making very nonlinear maps, I think that's one of the things I'm doing wrong. I can't resist filling the maps with secret passages and alternate routes, but it breaks up the gameplay a bit to have those options presented. Maybe I'll try making some maps that are pure Megaman (just for practice) so I get the hang of the linear rhythm. Once I get that down it will be more clear where it's appropriate to have diversions and alternate routes I think.

KillingAScarab
2013-06-05, 09:51 PM
It sounds to me like your approach is a bit similar to Mega Man 5 or Mega Man 6, then. MM5 introduced some walk-through walls to get power ups and such, while MM6 had two boss rooms and hidden paths to get to the second one. Actually, I was just reminded by this race recording (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9i1u14tz_g) that Napalm Man started with a bit of a run 'n gun which you might take two approaches to in that shaft where the drills came at you. I think you had enough time to jump on top of two of them, but you had to shoot the third. Anyway, a race might be of interest to you to see how actual players with a fair amount of skill handle these sorts of layouts. Those four also did a MM4 race (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548ox2_DWq8) (and a fifth person attempted but, there was no recording).

Gorfnod
2013-06-06, 11:45 AM
I have to throw in my vote with those who are saying Snake Man's level from MM3. This was the first Mega Man level that I ever completed and is always the first one I go for when I boot up MM3.

Rosstin
2013-06-07, 07:34 PM
Here I go on another level design sprint for the weekend! This weekend I'm going to try to replicate the feel of some of those classic Mega Man levels. Thanks again especially for the maps, I think they will be a great inspiration to me.

I think I'll play through Megaman 5's Gyro Man stage to get into the mood.

EDIT: OK, I beat Gyro Man! Whew! Tough but fair, I think I remember this stage from a video I watched about Mega Man level design. I'll see how I can make something inspired by this, using our own game's mechanics.

EDIT EDIT: Whew! I made a level! It was really fun, I think the flow was really improved by checking out the old-school games. I hope I can show you guys these levels in the near future. We're supposed to have a demo in about a month, hopefully my work will be in there.

Rosstin
2013-06-08, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, the Gyro Man inspired stage I made last night was a big hit with my PM.

I think next I might study Snake Man, Needle Man, or MM5 Wily Castle.

KillingAScarab
2013-06-09, 03:37 PM
EDIT: OK, I beat Gyro Man! Whew! Tough but fair, I think I remember this stage from a video I watched about Mega Man level design. I'll see how I can make something inspired by this, using our own game's mechanics.By any chance was that Egoraptor's Sequelitis (http://www.screwattack.com/shows/sequelitis)? That was pretty funny, and very accurate, though there are a few things he glossed over, like MMX does take control away in order to demo the upgrades. His thoughts on Super Castlevania IV were interesting, too.

EDIT EDIT: Whew! I made a level! It was really fun, I think the flow was really improved by checking out the old-school games. I hope I can show you guys these levels in the near future. We're supposed to have a demo in about a month, hopefully my work will be in there.

Thanks for all your help guys, the Gyro Man inspired stage I made last night was a big hit with my PM.Glad it was helpful. Good luck with the demo.

I think next I might study... MM5 Wily Castle.Will that be with or without super arrow shenanigans? :smallsmile:

Rosstin
2013-06-09, 07:28 PM
Haha, I played through MM3 again up to the "doc robots" part. I liked how there were some levels that were about fighting enemies instead of spikes. I think Gemini Man was my favorite, it was a pretty epic level. Snake Man I also really enjoyed, although I found Needle Man relatively forgettable.