PDA

View Full Version : Image tags and ftp servers

NM020110
2013-05-25, 06:00 PM
Recently I attempted to host an image using a personal ftp server, and thereafter the image did not load when the link to said image was encapsulated by image tags. Following the link normally resulted in no issues.

Would this be a bug, feature, basic incompatibility, or something else?

A thank you to the moderators of this site, for their dedication to providing a place for discussion and fun.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-05-25, 06:17 PM
Narrowing down the problem will probably be easier with a link to the image in question.

NM020110
2013-05-25, 06:21 PM
Right. Here it is.

ftp://ise.linuxmaniac.net/cirno math.jpg

Hopefully it is a simple case of [img] looking for an http link.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-25, 06:38 PM
To be honest, you probably shouldn't be trying to load such a ridiculously large image in the first place.

NM020110
2013-05-25, 06:42 PM
Fair point. I'm afraid that since transfer times were less than a second I didn't pay much attention to image size. My apologies for that.

I'm still a bit concerned that it wouldn't load. I'll substitute a smaller image for testing purposes.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-25, 07:17 PM
Okay, I did a little research on this and it's looking like the IMG tags don't recognize an FTP-based URL. I can vouch that the HTML IMG tags won't work with the links you provided, either.

The reason the image loads when you put it in the browser's address bar is because browsers can load either HTTP or FTP, but a web page is already set in HTTP mode. Asking a web page to process an FTP request actually doesn't make much sense to me since FTP and HTTP are basically unrelated.

tl;dr Use a free image hosting site such as Photobucket.

NM020110
2013-05-25, 07:19 PM
That works. Thank you kindly for your help.

Flickerdart
2013-05-25, 09:10 PM
Alternatively (if your own hosting is more convenient or better in some other way for you) there are a number of servers that will offer you free domain names.

Rawhide
2013-05-25, 11:20 PM
As mentioned by other posters, you cannot use IMG tags (or, more accurately, the HTTP IMG code) to link to FTP files. This isn't an issue or limitation with the board, but a requirement of HTTP.