PDA

View Full Version : Tmnt

icantsavemyself
2013-05-25, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking of getting a game going for some friends who want to learn how to RP and thought that a gritty, dark TMNT would be pretty legit.

Anyone have any suggestions for a system I should use? I'm mostly familiar with D20 and D&D 3.5 and the like but I'm open to trying anything that's not too costly.

tbok1992
2013-05-25, 07:21 PM
Well, Palladium made a game based on the comics version of TMNT known as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles And Other Strangeness", so that could be an option. On the downside though... Well, it's @#$%ing Palladium, what other information do you need?

JusticeZero
2013-05-25, 08:38 PM
D20 Modern maybe? Fate?

Man on Fire
2013-05-26, 03:53 AM
There exist TMNT role-playing game, with entire tables to customize your own mutant.

If you wouldn't say grim and gritty, I would suggest rpg to emulate the spirit of 80s cartoons, but I forgot it's name anyway.

Savage Worlds would do.

Yora
2013-05-26, 05:51 AM
Funny. Seeing the trailer for the new turtles game, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. :smallbiggrin:

For everything remotely modern themed, I like to go with Star Wars Saga Edition. Except for the Jedi, the game is not actually specific to Star Wars and everything else works perfectly well for pretty much any other Sci-Fi or modern game, like Mass Effect, Ghost in the Shell, StarCraft, or whatever you want. Just describe the blasters as normal guns, and that's about everything you have to change.

icantsavemyself
2013-05-26, 03:01 PM
I was thinking of just going D20 Modern. The only information I was really looking for was if anyone had run a game like this and what system they used or any good suggestions on what system to use.

prufock
2013-05-27, 09:01 AM
Mutants and Masterminds does everything. There is an SRD (http://www.d20herosrd.com/), so you don't need to buy the books. A forum search at Atomic Think Tank (http://www.atomicthinktank.com) will probably net you 3rd edition builds for the main characters, already done and at your disposal.

I actually did run a TMNT game a few years ago (with then-current M&M 2nd edition). It was really fun, but take note: players will probably argue over who gets to play what Turtle. My game took elements from different TMNT sources - comics, cartoon, movies - and mashed them together. Shredder was dead, Kari owned the Foot Clan, Tatsu had his own rival gang now, the Triceratons made an appearance, there was a cloning conspiracy, and so on. There were team battles, minion battles, car chases, etc. Great time, but it fell apart as people were moving away and all.

Asmodai
2013-06-03, 08:58 PM
Skipping the obvious choice of Fate, the Usagi Yojimbo is rather quick and clean and offers excellent support for the varied human-animal hybrids.

Amphetryon
2013-06-05, 08:06 AM
Well, Palladium made a game based on the comics version of TMNT known as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles And Other Strangeness", so that could be an option. On the downside though... Well, it's @#$%ing Palladium, what other information do you need?

Eh. I've played this game; it can do "grimdark" in a pinch, if the players don't focus on being cuddly in their animal mutations. The designers had a peculiar idea of "balance," as was the case with most Palladium games I saw, so the GM does need a firm hand in Character Creation and Encounter Design (by "peculiar idea" I mean, "no frelling clue how to achieve it aside from combining monkeys with dartboards and hoping for the best").

Man on Fire
2013-06-05, 01:49 PM
Skipping the obvious choice of Fate, the Usagi Yojimbo is rather quick and clean and offers excellent support for the varied human-animal hybrids.

This one has additional plus in that Turtles had crossovers with Usagi.

Epinephrine
2013-06-11, 08:34 AM
I enjoyed the original TMNT and Roadhogs, but if I were to try to run it in a newer system I might use GURPS. Figure out costs for the abilities of each of the races as packages, using GURPS supers.