PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Are Critical feats worth it?

Yael
2013-05-25, 09:10 PM
As the title says, are those feats worth it?
I only posees the Ultimate Combat and the Core Rulebook for PF.
I saw those feats and I though that on 3.5 they would rock with a crit-based build (because I haven't really played PF), so, again, are they worth it?

JusticeZero
2013-05-25, 09:14 PM
They can be, usually in conjunction with other feats or abilities that trigger on critical hits. Lots of abilities are either triggered by or help to create crits, and the synergies should be obvious.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-25, 09:18 PM
I don't think so, though to be fair I have terrible luck. I will definitely say the entry feat, Critical Focus, is basically just a feat tax. Which sucks. And the "low level" ones are terrible. If you're doing a critical feat build, you basically want to be a Fighter, hold off until about level 12 or 16 (where you get to retain a feat and thus pick up 2 feats simultaneously), and then build for Staggering Critical and/or Stunning Critical (which requires staggering). Those are the only 2 worth using, IMO. Don't take the feat to use two effects; staggered and stunning w/ overlapping durations is pretty pointless.

In any case, you would want an 18-20/x2 weapon with keen or Imp. Crit feat.

Still, if you crit something, there's a good chance it will die anyway, and I do not like the randomness / uncontrolled nature of when you get the benefits. Much better, IMO, is the Dazing and Stunning Assault feats, which just require taking a -5 to hit to use them and aren't feat taxed at all (Power Attack is awesome!). Especially for an AoO build, the -5 to hit doesn't really hurt that much by high levels if you have full BAB.