PDA

View Full Version : D6 Star Wars - Detect Life Questions

EmperorSarda
2013-05-25, 09:42 PM
Question, when using Detect Life, do you add the sense modifier (such as 1d6 +1) to your perception when using this force ability?

And do non-force sensitive characters get an opposing roll?

Hopeless
2013-05-26, 04:52 AM
Question, when using Detect Life, do you add the sense modifier (such as 1d6 +1) to your perception when using this force ability?

And do non-force sensitive characters get an opposing roll?

According to the revised 2nd edition rules it allows a force user to be able to detect sentient beings within 10m and the power may be kept "up" and the force user makes an opposed check in the case of the force user its a Sense check opposed by the target's Control or Perception to avoid detection.

As long as the force user at least ties the check they detect the target and if they exceed that check by at least 10 will be aware if the target is force sensitive, has force skills and even identify them if they have met them before (although will only know them by name if they were introduced before).

Interesting I would have said it would be either a 5 or 10 difficulty with the check only opposed if the target is able to sense the use of this power after all unless the target is actually attempting to hide from a known force user how can they oppose that check if they don't know about the force user?

EmperorSarda
2013-05-26, 06:05 PM
According to the revised 2nd edition rules it allows a force user to be able to detect sentient beings within 10m and the power may be kept "up" and the force user makes an opposed check in the case of the force user its a Sense check opposed by the target's Control or Perception to avoid detection.

So only an opposed role if there are other force users about? And is it only rolling the Sense skill, or is it added to detection?

And if non force users don't get a roll, are they automatically detected by a force user using this skill?

shizukanashi
2013-05-27, 03:20 AM
My interpretation is that you only roll your sense skill. It is opposed by control for force users and perception for non-force users.

This makes it very difficult for new force users (say someone with less than 3D sense skill) but very easy for an experienced force user (simply because it is hard to improve Perception and it is limited by racial caps.

That said the "opposed" creature must be actively hiding from the Force user, otherwise it is simply an easy roll (if the dectected creature is force sensitive) or a Mderate roll (if not).

EmperorSarda
2013-05-27, 08:50 AM
That said the "opposed" creature must be actively hiding from the Force user, otherwise it is simply an easy roll (if the dectected creature is force sensitive) or a Mderate roll (if not).

Why is it easier to find force users as opposed to non-force users?

LibraryOgre
2013-05-27, 09:12 AM
Why is it easier to find force users as opposed to non-force users?

Force users would stand out more, I imagine. Since you're looking around for the particular signature of life in the Force, Force-sensitive life should stand out.

Mutazoia
2013-06-04, 02:52 PM
Force users would stand out more, I imagine. Since you're looking around for the particular signature of life in the Force, Force-sensitive life should stand out.

Vader: "The force is strong with this one..."

Since Jedi (and Sith) are trained to feel the flow of the force around (and through) them, sensing a foce sensitive life form would be a tad easier, as it would have a greater impact on the flow of the force around it than would a non-force sensitive. Personally though I would still make it a moderate roll to detect, but on the lowest end of the spectrum...unless he/she/it is actively trying to mask their presence.

Hopeless
2013-06-05, 06:28 AM
Vader: "The force is strong with this one..."

Since Jedi (and Sith) are trained to feel the flow of the force around (and through) them, sensing a foce sensitive life form would be a tad easier, as it would have a greater impact on the flow of the force around it than would a non-force sensitive. Personally though I would still make it a moderate roll to detect, but on the lowest end of the spectrum...unless he/she/it is actively trying to mask their presence.

I have always wondered why there wasn't an aditional rule where darkside points would add to the difficulty of hiding from someone using this ability... and then I watched the prequels and thought... WTF?!
:smallmad:

I know they talk about the shroud of the darkside but thats just another mistake shuffled under the carpet, sorry I guess I should stick with asking why not add Darkside points to the difficulty of hiding from someone using this ability?

Mutazoia
2013-06-05, 09:42 AM
I have always wondered why there wasn't an aditional rule where darkside points would add to the difficulty of hiding from someone using this ability... and then I watched the prequels and thought... WTF?!
:smallmad:

I know they talk about the shroud of the darkside but thats just another mistake shuffled under the carpet, sorry I guess I should stick with asking why not add Darkside points to the difficulty of hiding from someone using this ability?

Honestly I would leave darkside (and lightside) points out of the equasion. Although they are used to see if a character falls to the darkside, and they represent a character's attunement with the force, they're not really ment to be added to (or subtracted from) anything. They are not really meant to gague a characters strength in the force. Control/Sense/Alter are there for that. Adding darkside points to the difficulty would be giving non-force sensitives a bigger advantage than they really deserve. (Nothing like a stormtrooper being able to hide his presence from the party Jedi to cheeze off players really fast.)

mcbobbo
2013-06-05, 01:30 PM
One thing to note is how in the Rebellion Era 'Vader notices you' was a rules-based power cap for Jedi. I think they baked this into the Sense mechanics. ..

Mutazoia
2013-06-06, 01:08 AM
One thing to note is how in the Rebellion Era 'Vader notices you' was a rules-based power cap for Jedi. I think they baked this into the Sense mechanics. ..

I think that "Vader notices you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVdsUwFVQI)" line meant that you've become strong enough in the force that Vader can sense your presence with out trying unless your actively try to mask said presence.