PDA

View Full Version : Throwing the book at them... Not literally. (3.5) (PrC)

The-Mage-King
2013-05-26, 12:59 AM
Tomes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284816). Known to many wizards and mages around the globe as a solid choice of emergency weapon. Casters expecting to be involved in combat are known to carry at least one, and even noncasters find them useful when in a pinch.

However, some casters take their practice with tomes further, focusing on the use of these weapons to the point of neglecting their ordinary spells.

These mages are called Tomecrawlers.

Prerequisites
Feats: Tome Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Tome)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks
Special: Caster level 1

LevelBABFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialSpellcasting
1+0+0+0+2Tomefaire, Tome Specialization+1 Caster level
2+1+0+0+3Tome Focus (One spell)+1 Caster level
3+1+1+1+3Tome Specialization+1 Caster level
4+2+1+1+4Tome Focus (Two spells)+1 Caster level
5+2+1+1+4Tome Mastery, Tome Specialization+1 level of existing spellcasting class

HD: d6

Class Skills: The Tomecrawler’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Speak Language (None), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spellcasting: At each level except for 5th, a Tomecrawler increases his caster level for a single spellcasting class he possesses levels in by one. He does not gain additional spell slots or known spells.
At 5th level, he gains new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as though he had gained a level in a spellcasting class in which he possesses levels. He does not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
If the Tomecrawler possesses multiple casting classes, he chooses which to progress with this upon taking his first level in this class.

Tomefaire (Su): The Tomecrawler is adept in use of tomes. At first level, whenever he successfully makes an attack using a tome with which he is proficient, he deals one extra point of damage per two caster levels he possesses, up to a maximum of twice his class level.

Tome Specialization: Most Tomecrawlers focus on using a single type of tome above all others. He selects a single tome set, such as Wind or Dark, with which he is proficient. He gains a bonus on all attack rolls with tomes of that set equal to his class level. At 3rd level and 5th level, he selects an additional tome set to benefit from this ability.

Tome Focus (Sp): With practice, a Tomecrawler can make an already dangerous tome moreso. At 2nd level, by spending an hour studying a tome, he may infuse it with a single 3rd level or lower touch-range spell he knows or has prepared, expending the spell slot and any material components required for the spell. Only one spell may be stored in this way.

Once within the next 8 hours, he may, as a swift action, deliver that spell alongside the effects of the tome, even at range.

At 4th level, he may use this with 6th level or lower spells, and may store a second spell in this manner. These spells do not have to be used at the same time, and do not need to be stored within the same tome.

Tome Mastery: At 5th level, a Tomecrawler has mastered the art of using tomes. When making a full attack with a tome, he may make as many attacks with it as he would ordinarily be allowed to make.

I blame Lix for this. :smalltongue:

Those skills were allllllwayyyssss thereeeeee. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2013-05-26, 11:48 AM
(giggles)
Nice. Of course, I'm going to be publishing the Emblem Dark Mage base class soon, rendering it obsolete. :smalltongue:
(Why the Dark Mage first? Cause I want to play one that's why.)

The-Mage-King
2013-05-26, 11:55 AM
Eh. This works for wizards, duskblades, Clerics, and anyone else who wants to sling spells and possibly use books.

Duskblades, in particular, should love it.

Just look at that touch spell delivery. Mmm.

I'm not too sure about the skill points, to be honest. Opinions, from a mechanical standpoint?

...And I just realized I forgot something else.

Lix Lorn
2013-05-26, 12:58 PM
Hee, true enough.

It seems fine to me. I'm of the school of thought that every class in the game, with the possible exception of wizards, needs 4 or more skill points.

CinuzIta
2013-05-26, 04:57 PM
First of all, let me say that I don't know anything about the game that inspired this class and your other work on tomes (because it is inspired to a videogame, isn't it?). I think I've seen the trailer of it on tv, but I don't even remember its name (may it be "Fire Emblem"?).

That said, I like what you've done with this class and with the tomes very much, you're making me want to get more info on the main source. Very well done:)

Edit: my bad, tomes are Lix Lorn's work, well done both of you anyway:)