PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Monkey Like Races

Thurbane
2013-05-26, 01:59 AM
Hey all,

Looking for some suggestions for monkey like races (I'm aware of Hadozee, but loking for other suggestions too).

This is for an NPC build, so LA or RHD don't matter too much.

Preferrably with a disposition towards evil alignment, and without a hit to Cha is possible.

Cheers - T

Regitnui
2013-05-26, 02:12 AM
Aiya, I was going to say Hadozee...

For an alternative option, an awakened dire ape? It'd certainly be unusual.

sonofzeal
2013-05-26, 02:19 AM
Anthropomorphic Monkey from Savage Species?

There might also be a Monkey-based Hengeyoukai in Unapproachable East.

And there's an ape-like demon (devil?) out there somewhere too, although I can't remember where.

CRtwenty
2013-05-26, 02:22 AM
There's the Vanara and Monkey Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures but that's 3.0.

gurgleflep
2013-05-26, 03:16 AM
The book Tome of Horrors has a playable Gorilla called a Dakon. While it is an ape and not a monkey, it's still pretty cool.

Page 86 of Tome of Horrors.
This creature looks like an ape with brownish-black fur
and yellow eyes with black pupils.
Dakons are a race of intelligent apes that make their
homes in the warmer regions of the world, though rarely,
if ever, near a large expanse of water (they don’t like it).
They are generally friendly toward humans who share their
alignment, and view all other races (even those races of the
same alignment as the dakons) with caution and suspicion.
Dakons stand 8 feet tall and weigh about 500 pounds.
Dakons speak Common.

They have no RHD and have an LA of +3.

Psyren
2013-05-26, 09:48 AM
There's the Vanara and Monkey Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures but that's 3.0.

Both were converted to 3.5 in a Dragon Magazine (though I forget which one :smalltongue:)

You could also port in the PF Vanara (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/vanara) and simply weaken its racials to be 3.5 friendly. Say, remove the wis bonus and low-light vision, but leave the climb speed and prehensile tail.

Amnestic
2013-05-26, 09:58 AM
Both were converted to 3.5 in a Dragon Magazine (though I forget which one :smalltongue:)

#318. Hengeyokai lost their LA and Vanara lost all of their ability score adjustments (Which were +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Strength).

Dark Kerman
2013-05-26, 10:29 AM
Humans. :smallbiggrin:

The Viscount
2013-05-26, 10:55 AM
The Taer is an ape that resembles an albino gorilla from UE. It's got an LA of 1 and 2RHD. It's a medium Giant, oddly enough, with the cold subtype. It also tends toward evil. -2 Cha and -4 Int is rather irritating, though.

There's also the Brood Monkey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a). It's got a Cha bonus and everything.

Flickerdart
2013-05-26, 11:46 AM
Why not were-dire ape? In hybrid form, they're good beaters for their CR.

Telonius
2013-05-26, 11:56 AM
Shackled City had a Were-Baboon enemy (I believe his name was Tongue Eater); that might be a good place to look.

Zombulian
2013-05-26, 12:25 PM
I know OP already brought up hadozee but... THEY'RE SO COOL.

G.Cube
2013-05-26, 12:37 PM
Not sure if monsters will work, but there is the Gorillion in the Monster Manual.

killem2
2013-05-26, 06:29 PM
Paizo's Fell Beast I has a man ape.

Tome of Horrors has a Churr and Dakkon (which is a much better deal as it only has 2hd), and the Taer. It also has the Plant Imbued Ape.

It also has Kech which are monkey like races.

Dragon 334 has a flying monkey (not an animal but more intelligent version of the Wizard of Oz flying monkeys) that is 1d10.

As said, the Savage Spieces really allows you to turn almost any animal you've seen into Anthropomorphic. Look to legendary animals, dire, and horrid for that.

Symbiotic Creature could work, but it would look really WEIRD.

Talya
2013-05-26, 07:20 PM
Humans. :smallbiggrin:

Good form, man. Nice show.

killem2
2013-05-27, 01:30 AM
I found a few more.

Monster Manual III - Forestkith Goblin: Th1s small, primate-like humanoid is covered in stiff black fur except for its cruel and wild face.

Tome of Horrors also has the Banderlog: This creature appears as a short, baboon-like creature with grayishbrown fur.

Monster Manual II: Gambol: These carnivorous cousins of rhe ape are fiercely territorial marauders. They obsessively prowl the jungle, attacking any thing that enters the area they claim. A gambol is a baboon like primare rhar srands 9 feer rall and weighs more rhan 1,000 pounds. Irs purple skin is covered wirh dense, silky, blue hair. A gambol has elongared jaws and a hairless, doglike muzzle.

Hordes of the Abyss has the Bar-Lgura: This hulking monster looks at first like a powerfully muscled orangutan, yet the cruelty that burns in its rheumy red eyes signals a hateful intelligence. Its visage is dominated by a pair of oversized fangs that jut from its lower jaw. Its fur is rusty red and matted
with fi lth.

Its a demon though.

Ebberon Campaign Setting has the EXPEDITIOUS MESSENGER, but they are a construct :(, but flying lemur.

Thurbane
2013-05-27, 01:48 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, some good ideas to work with :smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-05-27, 02:20 AM
I'm happy to of helped, but I can't help but wonder what you plan on making. Is it safe to ask or is your party lurking around?

Thurbane
2013-05-27, 03:23 AM
I was looking for a base for Paladin of Slaughter for Demogorgon.

Possibly a minion in an upcoming campaign...

Zombulian
2013-05-27, 03:30 AM
I was looking for a base for Paladin of Slaughter for Demogorgon.

Possibly a minion in an upcoming campaign...

Awww yuss. I would recommend doing one of the races that allow you to stay as a humanoid (like with Hadozee) and taking the Aberration Blood (for a spiky tail) and then Inhuman Reach (for tentacle arms).