PDA

View Full Version : Measure against spam threads; no starting of threads for new users?

Yora
2013-05-26, 05:49 AM
The spam ads for video rip websites have become quite a nuisance recently.
I am not sure about the forum software, but I think there is the option to allow the starting of new threads only after a certain number of posts have been made. Since the threads all seem to be made by completely new accounts every time, might setting that limit to 3 posts possibly get rid of these pests?
It would be a slight inconvencience for new users who create an account for a specific question they are having. And there could be a possibility that the spam post instead show up in random existing threads, which might even be worse.

But maybe it's something to consider for the admins?

The Rose Dragon
2013-05-26, 06:01 AM
I would think that the disadvantages you mentioned (preventing legitimate posters from starting a thread, other threads getting spam posts as a response) outweigh the benefits. Most spam threads, when reported, stick around for half an hour at most, in my experience, and unless someone responds to them, you won't even notice they were there after they are gone.

Otherwise, I believe vBulletin can have a minimum post gate, to prevent new posters from posting outside of a certain zone where admins and mods can determine the legitimacy of a new poster, but I'm not exactly sure, and I'm not sure it is really worth implementing.

Rawhide
2013-05-26, 06:44 AM
Thanks. This has already been considered and rejected.