PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying advice: Help making a 'strong silent type' character more fun?

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-26, 06:25 AM
So, for a few months I've been in a great campaign run by a friend here on the boards. Campaign itself is great, other PCs are enjoyable, my character is mechanically enjoyable too (she's a Swordsage/Crusader who's very, very difficult to hurt).

The problem is... I'm having an immense amount of difficulty when it comes to actually roleplaying her as she seems to only have three modes - silent, intimidating someone, or 'in combat'

Needless to say when there's talking to be done I usually let the party bard handle things unless someone needs to be wetting their skivvies.

The problem is... this is fairly boring in practice. At a regular gaming table it'd be fine I think; but in a play-by-post format it's not giving me much to do unless the situation has somehow turned to combat or can be turned to combat.

Basically what I'm asking for here is; could some kind folks help me fleshing out this character's personality so I don't always feel like I'm a silent beatstick following the party around? >.<

Here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449091) the character sheet - It has her background, personality and the like all listed near the bottom.

I just feel like I've inadvertently written myself into a corner. I like the concept of the character, I like her mechanically, I don't want to change characters or see her get killed off; but I'm frustrated at pretty much just tossing one-liners and intimidate checks now and again and that's it.

Ideas?

*edit* Forgot to add the sheet to the OP originally, fixed now.

Tengu_temp
2013-05-26, 06:39 AM
Give her habits and hobbies that break the character archetype, but which she still approaches with stoic seriousness.

If other players engage in shenanigans, act as the straight man.

neonchameleon
2013-05-26, 08:55 AM
Textbook mistake, I'm afraid. But actually it's not as bad online as it is at the table; online you can actually show what's going on in your character's head without stating it out loud. Snark, speculate, worry about plots that are never going to actually exist, and generally put the character's thoughts in full view of everyone else. And make them funny to read.

Water_Bear
2013-05-26, 09:46 AM
Silent doesn't mean uncommunicative; 90% of our meaning in conversation is nonverbal anyway. Convey her inner state through posts like "She arches her eyebrows in surprise at the mention of Krunk the Invincible" or "She catches <Party Member>'s eye and tilts her head towards the juggling gnome as if to say 'is this guy for real?'" That way you're still participating in the discussion but can keep her character consistent.

Telonius
2013-05-26, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I'd suggest describing your physical actions. When the others are talking, say something like, "I look intently at the person speaking, attempting to judge their honesty." Or, "I pace impatiently, waiting for the talking to be done." Maybe interact with the setting a bit more. "I walk over and look at the painting."

Think about Ari a bit. If she were walking into a room, how would she move? Does she fidget? Any gestures she uses frequently? In a new room, what would she look at first? What would she notice, what sorts of things are going through her head while things are going on around her?

The Fury
2013-05-26, 01:37 PM
Maybe there are some types of situations where she drops her stoic façade? Like maybe she's a huge fangirl for caber-toss or gets all giggly around puppies?

The Dark Fiddler
2013-05-26, 09:05 PM
Silent doesn't mean uncommunicative; 90% of our meaning in conversation is nonverbal anyway. Convey her inner state through posts like "She arches her eyebrows in surprise at the mention of Krunk the Invincible" or "She catches <Party Member>'s eye and tilts her head towards the juggling gnome as if to say 'is this guy for real?'" That way you're still participating in the discussion but can keep her character consistent.

Online gaming does have the benefit that it makes non-verbal cues much easier to convey.

In addition to previous suggestions, you could remember that "silent" doesn't necessarily mean "inactive." Be active, always poking around or fidgeting with your weapon or something.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-26, 10:09 PM
Good advice all around, thank you all <o.o>b

DMVerdandi
2013-05-26, 10:59 PM
Simply, be serious and stoic, without not speaking.
Say that the character has an anger problem, and would yell off people's ears, but in some form of personal penance wanted to see how long she could go without letting out her feelings.

Start to become more expressive, but never fine, or graceful. Stay curt and disciplined, but explain in character that it was time for you to start speaking up for yourself, as you could see that no one "in character", really benefited from it.

Make it an appeal towards efficiency.
"I WAS going through some introspection, but I think that it is getting in the way of growing our teamwork and cohesion. You can ask me any questions, but don't expect it to be fancy or pretty. Only thing I like fancy is my fencing and my brandy "

From there, just keep adding in.
Stay in character, still be hard to please, but talk about your feelings. You just don't have soft feelings. They are stately, noble, and eloquent without femininity. Like someone in the military.

GoddessSune
2013-05-27, 03:14 PM
The problem is... I'm having an immense amount of difficulty when it comes to actually roleplaying her as she seems to only have three modes - silent, intimidating someone, or 'in combat'

As a GM, I really hate this type of character. I guess it sounds good on paper:''I'll be really cool and quiet and kill people''. But then in the game, the player just sits there. Few things are more annoying then a player that just sits there for something like two hours not playing, not gaming, not saying anything. And if asked they will just mumble ''oh my character is quiet''.

I would first off recommend not being so 'silent'. It only sounds good(haha). It does not work out well in game play. Think like a Tv show/movie, how many 'strong silent types' do you see? How 'silent' are they?

And PbP? What do you post ''I just stand there'' for like two weeks?

My suggestion: For PbP, think of it like a novel and post your characters thoughts, ideas, and such. Not speech, but thoughts. That the 'ominsenescent reader players can read, but that the characters will not know...

Juntao112
2013-05-28, 10:51 AM
Make good use of facial expressions and your eyebrows at the table.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-28, 05:45 PM
Sadly it's not at an actual table hehe, this is PBP which makes stuff like that a twinge harder. That said I like the suggestion here to use body language and the like more - it's what I've been doing the last couple days and it seems to be working out <o.o>m

The Fury
2013-05-29, 12:36 AM
Simply, be serious and stoic, without not speaking.
Say that the character has an anger problem, and would yell off people's ears, but in some form of personal penance wanted to see how long she could go without letting out her feelings.

Start to become more expressive, but never fine, or graceful. Stay curt and disciplined, but explain in character that it was time for you to start speaking up for yourself, as you could see that no one "in character", really benefited from it.

Make it an appeal towards efficiency.
"I WAS going through some introspection, but I think that it is getting in the way of growing our teamwork and cohesion. You can ask me any questions, but don't expect it to be fancy or pretty. Only thing I like fancy is my fencing and my brandy "

From there, just keep adding in.
Stay in character, still be hard to please, but talk about your feelings. You just don't have soft feelings. They are stately, noble, and eloquent without femininity. Like someone in the military.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just making different inferences of Ari's character but from what I gathered it's not that she doesn't have soft feelings she's just not very good at expressing them. That or maybe she's someone who's been operating with barriers up for so long that she's not sure what to do when she doesn't need them. Though perhaps mistformsqirrl can clear me up if I'm wrong.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-29, 12:44 AM
No you're pretty much dead on there Fury.

To explain Ari a little better:

Something horrible happened in her past - what it is even I as the player don't know (I left it up to the DM specifically so the revelation would be more 'real' to me) - whatever event caused that turned her hair stark white and gave her amnesia; no one can figure out where she's from or who her parents are/were - so the Church of the Silver Flame ended up raising her and to fill up that big blank spot in her life she became completely and fanatically loyal to them.

She acts like she's made of stone, but underneath it all there's a lot more going on - the problem is until that character development can set in (the campaign is still fairly young being PBP) she's still unwilling (or unable) to open up to other people. The only time she really talks is when it's got to do with the mission and combat.

That said the tips people have given here have been fairly excellent, particularly in terms of body language use <._.> I'm hoping that'll make her more fun to play until she can grow into something a bit more involved and well rounded as a person.

jaybird
2013-05-29, 12:22 PM
Observe Sten from Dragon Age: Origins.

Icewraith
2013-05-29, 12:37 PM
You can have a lot of fun with this, but make sure your descriptions, WHILE STILL THERE, are delivered in an interesting manner.

Instead of
Dm: You think the merchant might be lying to you about where he's getting these gems.
You: "my character raises his eyebrow, crosses his arms, and looks menacing."

Do this:
"Eyebrow raise (actually raise your eyebrow)."
"Arm Cross." (Lean back in your chair and cross your arms)
"Glare." (Stare at the DM)
"Intimidate." (Roll)

You don't have to talk like "hulk smash!" But try to be as efficient and concise in your descriptions as possible. Use gestures. Smack people upside the head. If you deadpan this well enough it will be awesome and/or hilarious in a good way.

TheThan
2013-05-29, 11:07 PM
Also strong silent types aren’t the sort that NEVER speak (those would be mutes). They just don’t talk much. When they say something it’s usually important, deep or enlightening.

Aside from that, describe body language, facial expressions and the like. Also write out a lot of “internal dialog”, which means writing down what your character thinks about what’s going on.

I also recommend writing an adventuring journal about what your character's adventures, what she thinks and feels about what happens each session. although, this is best for table top games (mostly in between sessions).

PersonMan
2013-05-30, 12:50 PM
You can have a lot of fun with this, but make sure your descriptions, WHILE STILL THERE, are delivered in an interesting manner.

Instead of
Dm: You think the merchant might be lying to you about where he's getting these gems.
You: "my character raises his eyebrow, crosses his arms, and looks menacing."

Do this:
"Eyebrow raise (actually raise your eyebrow)."
"Arm Cross." (Lean back in your chair and cross your arms)
"Glare." (Stare at the DM)
"Intimidate." (Roll)

This will be difficult in play-by-post, a form of playing in which the DM and players are not physically at a table.

Kalirren
2013-05-30, 02:47 PM
Characters who speak less must think and act more. This is easier in PbP, where you can easily give insight into thoughts unspoken.

Body language is good, as you've already discovered. I find it useful to emote agreement and disagreement with things that others say.

You might also choose to interact with objects rather than people, when people are not being particularly interesting. Especially for a religious strong silent type, symbolic language is very important. Wear your own symbols consciously and proudly. React to others' symbols, especially the ones they don't realize they wear.