PDA

View Full Version : On enemy wizards and spellbooks

OrlockDelesian
2013-05-26, 06:43 AM
We are playing a module were the players have to face off with an evil wizard (what a surprise) and kill him.
However, nowere in the treasure does it mention his spellbook, and he is supposed to be in the dungeon for days.
He is not that powerfull (6th-7th) lvl.
Is it possible to not have his spellbook with him, or should I create one to give to my players after his demise?

Kaeso
2013-05-26, 06:58 AM
He is not that powerfull (6th-7th) lvl.
Is it possible to not have his spellbook with him, or should I create one to give to my players after his demise?

Why not both? Why not have him killed and have his spellbook as a delayed treasure in the dungeon? A wizard worth his salt (and if you reach level 6/7 without being stabbed by an angry barbarian, you're a wizard worth his salt) wouldn't prance around with his spellbook in clear view unless he's an adventurer, and even then he should jealously guard it and have quite some back-ups.

If there's only one or two spells you want your groups wizard to learn before he finds the spellbook, you can even use one of the back-up methods named in either complete arcane or complete mage: some mages tattoo some of their most important spells on their bodies and study them with the help of a mirror or their familliar. Each bodypart counts for a certain number of pages (I think the chest is 3 or 5 pages). That way, you could have a few spells that your party's wizard gets in advance, and he'll still have the spellbook to look forward to later.

Darrin
2013-05-26, 07:02 AM
Eidetic Spellcaster (Dragon Magazine #357). Spellbook is inside his head.

Tattoo Spellbook (Complete Arcane). Spells are transcribed on his skin. If the party does a particularly spectacular job killing him, you can inform them that some/all of the spells are damaged.

Leomund's Secret Chest (PHB). If the party doesn't recognize the replica object (you can make it look like something other than a chest, such as a coffin or snuffbox), they may not realize the other chest is on the ethereal plane.

Lore Gem (Magic Item Compendium). Cast Nystul's magic aura on it and put it in his coin pouch, and the PCs may just think it's an ordinary gem.

Quipu spellbook. Strands of knotted cords, doesn't look like a book.

Deophaun
2013-05-26, 07:05 AM
Depends on the dungeon and the wizard's relation to it. If the wizard was just teleported into the dungeon, or kidnapped, then he might not have a spellbook. Otherwise, you should make one up for him.

ArcturusV
2013-05-26, 07:33 AM
Then again, enemy spellbooks are things your players should rightly be weary of. There's a lot of nasty "Text" stuff that you can hide in a book. And since almost anyone knowing they are dealing with a wizard is going to go looking for a spellbook to confiscate and read (Delicious free spells to copy!)... it only makes sense to have trapped spellbook decoys.

Worst case scenario? You got captured? Enemy takes your spellbook and is incapacitated by stuff you hid in it ranging from Explosive Runes to Symbols of Pain or Geas.

That and Adventure Module Wizard NPCs tend to have so many few spells they memorize/use, that they might also be taking Spell Mastery for their "Adventuring" and have their books hidden somewhere else. That would tend to explain the generally anemic lists I see on Module Wizards, they're using Spell Mastery feats and only have like 9 spells they can memorize.

Palanan
2013-05-26, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin
Quipu spellbook. Strands of knotted cords, doesn't look like a book.

Is this from a particular source, or did you just make that up? Not sure if it strictly works in game terms, but it's too awesome not to. :smalltongue:

I'm also kicking myself for not having thought of it myself--especially since quipu feature in the current novel I'm reading.

*smites forehead*

Originally Posted by ArcturusV
Then again, enemy spellbooks are things your players should rightly be weary of.

Did you mean "weary" or "wary"? Both could work, depending on the context here.

Speaking of which, Sepia Snake Sigil is another good one for trapping spellbooks.

eastmabl
2013-05-26, 11:02 AM
I'd say

(1) Have a spellbook with the spells that he would be expected to have, and

(2) Have it trapped in some sort of way - a smart evil wizard would have some sort of protection on it.

Make the trap something fun.

Deophaun
2013-05-26, 11:05 AM
Is this from a particular source, or did you just make that up? Not sure if it strictly works in game terms, but it's too awesome not to. :smalltongue:
I know it's called out in 4e's Dark Sun module, but it is mentioned somewhere in 3.5, either in Complete Arcane or one of the developer notes in the Rules Compendium. It's worth it to take a look at those, as they also talk about alternatives to the normal forms of scrolls and potions in addition to spellbooks.

Darrin
2013-05-26, 05:37 PM

I'm also kicking myself for not having thought of it myself--especially since quipu feature in the current novel I'm reading.

Mysterious Cities of Gold, based on Scott O'Dell's The King's Fifth. Best cartoon ever, even without the "topless natives" documentary segments. I understand they actually got a sequel off the ground recently...

Palanan
2013-05-26, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Deophaun
I know it's called out in 4e's Dark Sun module, but it is mentioned somewhere in 3.5, either in Complete Arcane or one of the developer notes in the Rules Compendium.

Hmm. I wasn't able to find it in either of the latter two books. On the other hand, I'm falling asleep as I type here.

Originally Posted by Darrin
Mysterious Cities of Gold.... Best cartoon ever....

Wow. Someone else has actually heard of Mysterious Cities of Gold? I loved that show.

*goes off to enjoy childhood memories*