PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Saucier XIV: From the shadows I stab at thee

mattie_p
2013-05-26, 10:25 AM
Welcome one and all to the fourteenth Zinc Saucier challenge, where Playgrounders come to test their skill in the art of beautiful and bizarre (and bizarrely beautiful) builds, summoning a savory dish of superb swordplay and sublime sorcery.

The challenge? To come up with a build that has the same abilities and feel as the Secret Ingredient WITHOUT actually using it!

For the fourteenth challenge get ready to lay waste to your enemies' hearths and homes, from Races of the Wild, it's the Whisperknife!

Our challengers will have about 2 weeks to build a complete build from levels 1-20 using a 32 point buy and all official WOTC D&D 3.5 materials (excluding dragon magazine, but including any WOTC online enhancements) with the abilities and feel of a Whisperknife without actually using any levels in it.

Entries must be submitted by Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 9 June, 2013. As usual, please submit your entries via private message to the chairman, so as not to influence the other sauciers.

Judges will then have until Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 23 June, 2013, to post scores for all dishes.

Contestants will be judged and awarded a score out of 5 in each of 5 categories;

* Innovation (Uniqueness in character concept, race, class, etc)
* Power (How powerful and versatile it is compared to the base class)
* Elegance (What can only be described as how well the build "flows", i.e not using lots of 1-2lv dips, sacrificing flavour for power or using flaws)
* Ingredient (How well the build captures the abilities and feel of the base class)

Presentation would be best in the style of how the iron chef does their presentations, however any style is allowed so long as it is clear on how the build was made.

Recommended style:NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Copy and Paste:NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage). For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list, similar to this:
Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Copy and Paste:Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Please do not post details of your build on the board before it is ready, so as not to spoil the surprise for others.

Sauciers may submit as many builds as they want but please don't use leadership, as we don't want to overfeed the judges.

Previous challenges;
Soulknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225187)
Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229736)
Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233749)
Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239294)
Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243627)
Warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247169)
Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252932)
Warblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256004)
Pyrokineticist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259654)
Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263278)
Druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265347)
True Necromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276267)
Dervish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280212)

A few administrative notes:

Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, may lose you points. Please note the following change: a legal source's relative obscurity should not be considered as penalizing Elegance, excepting the aforementioned issues with Unearthed Arcana. Using too many sources may be an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion, but a book's relative obscurity may not.

Is Dragon Compendium Allowed? Yes, but individual issues of Dragon Magazine are not.

What about 3.0 materials? 3.0 materials, whether online or in printed form, are allowed unless they've been officially updated to a 3.5 edition.

Are Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, or Kingdoms of Kalamar allowable sources? The Dragonlance Campaign Setting is allowed, but the subsequent books for Dragonlance are considered 3rd party, and are therefore not eligible, despite the "WotC approved" status of those books. The same holds for Oriental Adventures (1st party) and the subsequent Rokugan books (3rd party). Materials from Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Kingdoms of Kalamar are considered 3rd party for purposes of this contest, and are therefore not allowed.

What about online sources in general? If the online source is a) published by WotC, and b) not replaced by an updated version at a later time, it is eligible. Use it, link it.

Where's the line drawn with "acceptable/unacceptable" for Unearthed Arcana? This will likely vary a bit from Chairman to Chairman. Item Familiars and Gestalt have always been verboten, since before IC migrated to GitP; don't expect that to change. Flaws have similarly always been noted as warranting a deduction; while I am Chairman, I'm extending that to Traits, though they warrant 1/2 the penalty in Elegance that a Flaw would because they're roughly 1/2 as useful. Alternate spell systems, alternate skill systems and alternate crafting rules all create an uneven playing field, and as such, will be disallowed for as long as I am Chairman. Bloodlines are ripe for abuse, and will be strongly discouraged as long as I am Chairman. Note that judges are allowed to look askance at any use of Unearthed Arcana not specifically mentioned above, at their discretion, and otherwise penalize Elegance according to their preference.

What, exactly, does the ban on Leadership mean? As folks have started to try to work around the edges of this one, I'm forced to spell it out more plainly. No Leadership, Draconic Cohort, or Feats that grant a similar ability are allowed EXCEPT Wild Cohort while I am chairman. Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.

What's the minimum score in a category? Assuming an entry is legal, the minimum score in any category is 1. If a judge is convinced that an entry is illegal by the RAW, the judge may give a 0 or decline to score a given entry. Because this contest focuses on Player Characters, an entry that is not technically allowed for a PC, but is viable as an NPC, counts as a legal entry, but may receive a minimum score at the judges' discretion.

A few threads for your amusement/edification:

Handy Tips for the Iron Chef in the Playground Noob (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287603)
Past judging criteria (sample only, feel free to use your own) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13259279&postcount=5)
How one judge went about judging (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13163245&postcount=144)

Level adjustment buy-off (from Unearthed Arcana) is expressly prohibited, because this is an ECL 20 build. You are not granted a set experience point total to use.

This competition is inspired by the Playground Iron Chef Competitions and uses mostly identical rules.

Also it comes with double prize money.

Allez Sauciers!

Callin
2013-05-26, 11:14 AM
This seems promising....

A_S
2013-05-26, 11:18 AM
Do I observe correctly from previous competitions that lengthy fluff sections are less de rigueur in this contest than in IC?

dysprosium
2013-05-26, 11:40 AM
Also it comes with double prize money.

This makes me going to enter this one! Too good to pass up!

mattie_p
2013-05-26, 11:42 AM
Do I observe correctly from previous competitions that lengthy fluff sections are less de rigueur in this contest than in IC?

I do believe you are correct. We enjoy a story here, but we haven't experienced the novelization trend seen in recent Iron Chef competitions.

Kazyan
2013-05-26, 11:44 AM
This one has a looot of stuff that looks difficult to replicate. Oh boy. I'll see what I can do.

mattie_p
2013-05-26, 04:05 PM
You do that. While we're at it, let's see if we can't drum up some judges.

Snowbluff
2013-05-26, 06:06 PM
This one has a looot of stuff that looks difficult to replicate. Oh boy. I'll see what I can do.

This one is actually looking easier. I think my levels are done. The vengeful strike is better replicated by it using something better.

mattie_p
2013-05-26, 09:44 PM
If your levels are done in hours, Snowbluff, that might be a sign you are doing it wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Best try again. Submit that entry, and then do another one or two for good measure.

Snowbluff
2013-05-26, 09:50 PM
If your levels are done in hours, Snowbluff, that might be a sign you are doing it wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Best try again. Submit that entry, and then do another one or two for good measure.

I just work really fast. :smalltongue:

Some of these just click. If it was warblade I wouldn't have an answer for you.

mattie_p
2013-05-27, 12:42 PM
We did warblade a few rounds ago. Next one will be another base class, I think. Unless I choose that PrC. So many choices.

Kazyan
2013-05-27, 07:51 PM
Submitted. I might lose some points in power, but I hope to make up for it in the other three categories. :smallcool:

mattie_p
2013-05-30, 12:16 PM
So I needed to post an update, we had our first build submitted, I think you'll all be surprised when you see it. Is anyone else working on one, or did you all get distracted by Tippy's Terrible Trial?

dysprosium
2013-05-30, 12:19 PM
I'm working on one too. Should be submitted sooner than later.

Tippy's Terrible Trial intrigued me but I've been focusing on Zinc Saucier. I love these by the way!

Snowbluff
2013-05-30, 12:35 PM
So I needed to post an update, we had our first build submitted, I think you'll all be surprised when you see it. Is anyone else working on one, or did you all get distracted by Tippy's Terrible Trial?

I wasn't. I hate monks. :smalltongue:

mattie_p
2013-05-30, 10:40 PM
I wasn't. I hate monks. :smalltongue:

Oh, you should have done our monk round, then. Too bad you missed it. It was fun.

I wonder if I should do a base class again next round. Hrm.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-30, 11:02 PM
I'll have to dig out my copy of RotW, but I seem to recall liking the fluff of this one. I might enter something - I've got a little over a week, so we'll see what I can cook up.

Fyermind
2013-05-30, 11:44 PM
I'll judge this one. I like the idea, and I've been enjoying reading these for a while. I might as well share what I have to think about them this time.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-31, 12:09 AM
Hmmm. I'll have to try this one. I'm not sure how original my idea will be, but we'll see.

mattie_p
2013-05-31, 12:54 AM
I'll have to dig out my copy of RotW, but I seem to recall liking the fluff of this one. I might enter something - I've got a little over a week, so we'll see what I can cook up.

It's been a while since you last participated. What was it, Paladin?

I'll judge this one. I like the idea, and I've been enjoying reading these for a while. I might as well share what I have to think about them this time.

My eternal gratitude, and that of [redacted] and [snipped] who have submitted entries.

Hmmm. I'll have to try this one. I'm not sure how original my idea will be, but we'll see.

Go for it. The worst that will happen is you don't finish and we mock you forever.

I'm kidding, the statute of limitations on mocking is 100 years.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-31, 01:12 AM
It's been a while since you last participated. What was it, Paladin?

Indeed - I judges then, too (another solo-judge). The last time I submitted, however, was back in Warlock.

Humble Master
2013-06-02, 07:43 PM
I would be willing to judge if you will accept me.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-02, 08:12 PM
Well, bother. I had a whole build done until I realized I was looking at the Wildrunner rather than the Whisperknife. :smallsigh::smallredface:

I'll still try to get one in on time, though.

Maybe Wildrunner could be the next entry?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 08:22 PM
Hmm, might do it.

It's really kinda pitiful that you can replicate about half of the classes features for a couple of feats and a few thousand GP.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-03, 06:23 AM
Hmmm. Would being a non-halfling take a hit in score?

mattie_p
2013-06-03, 06:28 AM
That depends on the judges, Jeff the Green. Humble master, we'd be glad to have you.

As far as upcoming classes, I'll consider it, as I do all of the suggestions. Just like the iron chef chairman, though, I make no promises to do it any time soon.

amdskitzo
2013-06-03, 08:24 AM
If I don't have an entry this time, I'll happily judge instead.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-04, 12:39 AM
Alright, I've got an idea. Now, let's see if I can put it to paper (so to speak) before the deadline...

mattie_p
2013-06-05, 10:50 PM
About 4 days until the deadline, how are my competitors doing? Been a slow round, it seems.

dysprosium
2013-06-05, 11:16 PM
Hopefully tomorrow Mr Chairman!

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-05, 11:28 PM
Struggling to fluff up and assign skill points, Mr. Chairman. I'll hammer away at it some more tomorrow - if it doesn't come by Friday morning, you aren't getting anything from me.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-06, 02:54 AM
I'm nearly done too; just need to fluff it up.

dysprosium
2013-06-06, 08:04 PM
My build has been submitted.

Good luck everyone!

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-06, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to that splatbook, so I won't be able to be involved this round

Jeff the Green
2013-06-07, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to that splatbook, so I won't be able to be involved this round

On the one hand, I feel deprived that I don't get to see your build. On the other hand, I'm quite glad I don't have to compete with you.

For the record, I submitted mine yesterday.

mattie_p
2013-06-07, 01:40 PM
We've got three entries so far, looking good for this competition. Incidentally, I scramble the posting order, so no one should be able to match the competitors with the entries based solely on order of submission.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-07, 03:16 PM
On the one hand, I feel deprived that I don't get to see your build. On the other hand, I'm quite glad I don't have to compete with you.While I'm flattered by the response, my CharOp days are long behind me. We're all just folks now.

For the record, I submitted mine yesterday.

I look forward to seeing the build during the Big Reveal. Even submitting an entry takes good skills and a fair amount of chutzpah. Be proud of your achievements. Even if you never place, your builds are still being compared to everyone else's.

Humble Master
2013-06-07, 06:41 PM
How do I get the entries for judging?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-07, 06:42 PM
How do I get the entries for judging?

Mattie'll post them when the entry deadline hits, about 7pm Central Standard Sunday.

mattie_p
2013-06-07, 09:52 PM
Mattie'll post them when the entry deadline hits, about 7pm Central Standard Sunday.

I surely will. In the meantime, we have entry the fourth. Will there be another? Time will tell.

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 10:00 PM
Yeah, you will. I just like to procrastinate and I hate this table code. :smalltongue:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-07, 11:00 PM
Yeah, you will. I just like to procrastinate and I hate this table code. :smalltongue:

It's definitely the worst part, isn't it?

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 11:07 PM
It's definitely the worst part, isn't it?

Agreed. I could demonstrate my build without it, but I think the clear progression makes everything easier.

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 10:06 AM
Snowbluff, are you going to get it in? You and anyone else interested have about 9 hours by my calculation.

Snowbluff
2013-06-09, 10:10 AM
Snowbluff, are you going to get it in? You and anyone else interested have about 9 hours by my calculation.

Like I said, this is me taking time to do a write up in the BB code table in a text editor. Between that and the recent something that happened, I've been running rather slow. My lack of attention span also just hit me in the face and I discovered I could make a mounted charge (which is virtual) and use a ToB strike.

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:48 PM
Five entries. Please refrain from posting until the all clear is given. None of these are whisperknives....

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:49 PM
The dead do more than walk, it seems

The Silent Sigh

The Basics
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/352/9/7/dnd_character___monk_by_regocreations-d355rzz.jpg
LN Necropolitan strongheart halfling monk 2/psychic warrior 12/warblade 1/ranger 5
{table=1]Ability|Point Buy|Racial|Level|Final
Strength|12|-2|+0|10
Dexterity|18|+2|+4|24
Constitution|8|-|-|-
Intelligence|12|+0|+0|12
Wisdom|15|+0|+1|16
Charisma|8|+0|+0|8[/table]

The Details
The Silent Sigh

1st|Monk (invisible fist)|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Autohypnosis 2, Concentration 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4, Spot 4|Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Stunning Fist|Flurry of blows, unarmed strike

2nd|Monk|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Autohypnosis +½, Concentration +1, Hide +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +1|Monastic Training (Psychic Warrior)|Invisible fist

3rd|Psychic Warrior (soulbound weapon)|
+1|
+5|
+3|
+3|Autohypnosis +2½, Concentration +½|Practiced Manifester, Tashalatora (Psychic Warrior), Weapon Focus (sai)|-

4th|Psychic Warrior|
+2|
+6|
+3|
+3|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Knowledge (the planes) +½|-|Soulbound weapon

5th|Psychic Warrior|
+3|
+6|
+4|
+4|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Spot +½|-|-

6th|Psychic Warrior|
+4|
+7|
+4|
+4|Concentration +1, Move Silently +½, Spot +½|Linked Power|-

7th|Psychic Warrior|
+5|
+7|
+4|
+4|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Move Silently +½|Psionic Meditation|-

8th|Psychic Warrior|
+5|
+8|
+5|
+5|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Spot +½|-|-

9th|Warblade|
+6|
+10|
+5|
+5|Concentration +1, Hide +1, Move Silently +½, Spot +½|Martial Study (cloak of deception)|Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude

10th|Psychic Warrior|
+7|
+10|
+5|
+5|Concentration +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +½|-|-

11th|Psychic Warrior|
+8|
+11|
+5|
+5|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Move Silently +½|Martial Stance (assassin's stance)|-

12th|Ranger (shape-changing)|
+9|
+13|
+7|
+5|Concentration +1, Hide +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +2|Shadow Blade, Track|1st favored enemy, fast movement, spiritual connection

13th|Ranger|
+10|
+14|
+8|
+5|Concentration +1, Hide +1, Move Silently +2, Spot +1|-|-

14th|Ranger (shadow sword)|
+11|
+14|
+8|
+6|Concentration +1½, Hide +1½, Move Silently +1, Spot +3|-|Walk in silence

15th|Ranger (planar, distracting attack)|
+12|
+15|
+9|
+6|Concentration +1, Knowledge (the planes) +4|Improved Precise Shot|Distracting Attack

16th|Psychic Warrior|
+12|
+15|
+10|
+7|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Knowledge (the planes) +½|-|-

17th|Psychic Warrior|
+13|
+16|
+10|
+7|Concentration +1, Knowledge (the planes) +½, Spot +½|-|-

18th|Psychic Warrior|
+14|
+16|
+10|
+7|Knowledge (the planes) +1½|Planar Touchstone, Dead Eye|-

19th|Psychic Warrior|
+15|
+17|
+11|
+8|Concentration +1, Hide +½, Move Silently +½|-|-

20th|Ranger|
+16|
+17|
+11|
+8|Concentration +1, Hide +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +2|-|2nd favored enemy, wildshape 1/day[/table]

Skill Ranks:
{table=1]Skill|Ranks
Autohypnosis|5
Concentration|22
Hide|14
Move Silently|11
Knowledge (the planes)|8
Spot|16[/table]

Maneuvers Known (usually readied)
Cloak of Deception (r)
Emerald Razor
Iron Heart Surge (r)
Wall of Blades (r)

Stances
Assassin's Stance
Hunter's Sense

Powers Known (level); 67 PP (without items)
Call weaponry (1)
Inertial armor (1)
Compression (1)
Perfect ArcheryRoS (2)
Hustle (2)
Dissolving Weapon (2)
Telekinetic boomerangRotW (3)
Dimension slide (3)
Mental barrier (3)
Dimension door, psionic (4)
Steadfast perception (4)
Energy adaptation (4)

The Story
Sonata Tacita (Levels 1-5)
The warrior known as the Silent Sigh began life as Seredoc Cotton, a halfling from the Vast. He was orphanned before his second year, and in a fateful act of mercy, was taken in by the brothers and sisters of a Hin Fist monastery. He studied and trained there, and with time grew to be greatly respected among the novices. While his blows rarely had as much force behind them as the other novices', he was exceptionally quick and agile and his instinctive understanding of combat helped protect him. When a novice was needed for a scouting mission, he was chosen for his keen senses and silent feet.

Shortly before his seventeenth year, the monastery was attacked by kobolds from the Earthspur Mountains. They slaughtered the inhabitants root and shoot. In fear Seredoc hid, but before he was able to was nicked by a poison blade. Never strong of body, by the time the kobolds left Seredoc was nearly dead.

By some miracle and skilled leechcraft, he successfully made his way to Ravens Bluff. Informed by healers and clerics alike that the poison had seeped too much into his blood to be removed, he despaired, until by chance on his third day he made acquaintance with a man with white eyes, white hair, and leather skin. He offered Seredoc the opportunity to have the poison made irrelevant. Seredoc agreed.

The following night the moon was new. Seredoc followed the man out of the city to an abandoned farm, sweating, pale, and delirious. At the farm, a cross lay on the ground. The man with the white eyes bid Seredoc lay down on it, and when he did drove cursed nails into his hands and feet. The cross was raised, and for three excruciating hours Seredoc lay on the cross while the man and his acolytes chanted imprecations to Velsharoon. Soon, the rite was done, Seredoc breathed his last breath, and the Silent Sigh was born.

Opening milky eyes for the first time, the Silent Sigh realized something odd. He touched a power had never had, and from it drew forth sais glimmering with astral diamonds. These flew from his hands to the undead flesh of his murderers, and Silent Sigh left the Vast.
These are the roughest levels. Silent Sigh is a monk. A monk who dumped Constitution and Strength. A monk who then multiclasses into soulbound psychic warrior with a soulbound weapon he can't make full use of. Thankfully, once he becomes a necropolitan his Constitution, at least, is irrelevant.

During these levels his best strategy is to take advantage of two facts: a dose of poison can be applied to fifty pieces of ammunition and he is immune to poison. He can flurry with poisoned shurikens, allowing him to contribute to combat, and makes a decent scout. Invisible Fist allows him to catch his enemies flatfooted and avoid many attacks. Finally, a feycraft sai will allow him to use his considerable Dexterity modifier to his attacks. Once he takes his first level in psychic warrior, he may be better off wearing armor, since he likely won't be using either flurry or stunning fist.

Adagio Zitto (Levels 6-10)
The Silent Sigh took up the life of a peripatetic, traveling and honing his mind and body. He studied with hobgoblin warriors and converted to the worship of the Rider of the Winds. Eventually he learned something that he would take advantage of for the rest of his career: the ability to make his thrown sais return to him immediately upon striking an enemy. With this knowledge he returned to the Vast and the Earthspur Mountains. He sought out the kobolds that slaughtered his masters and fellows so many years ago, and with flurries of sais stunning and skewering them, he obliterated the entire tribe.
The Silent Sigh is finally coming into his own. At 6th level he can augment call weaponry to put Ki Focus on his called sai, allowing him to use Stunning Fist at range, and his sai is finally automatically +1. With a Wisdom of 16 (or higher with appropriate equipment) the DC is respectable. With hustle he can flurry and move. At 9th level, when he takes a level of warblade, he gains several useful abilities. Iron Heart Surge and Wall of Blades are excellent panic buttons, and Cloak of Deception plus the warblade recovery mechanic allows him to reliably make flat-footed attacks every round. (For Wall of Blades to be useful, he should always carry a feycraft sai.)

To keep his damage up, the Silent Sigh can use dissolving weapon. Because the power is instantaneous and because the soulbound ACF causes you to call the same weapon every time, you can pre-manifest it whenever you have time. You can also manifest it on any backup weapons. When not planning to use Stunning Fist, he can also call his sai with a bane enchantment for whatever creatures he is facing for an additional +2d6 damage.

Finally, at 10th level, he learns telekinetic boomerang, which allows him to easily make full attacks (and flurries) with his called sai, and the penalty to his flurry disappears.

Scherzo Muto (Levels 11-15)
His revenge complete, the Silent Sigh took to the road again. He fell in with a group of rangers devoted to Shaundakul, the Shadow Swords. They taught him the rudiments of divine magic and tracking, and he learned to use his thrown sais to give his fellows openings.

In his studies he came across a disturbing reference. Xexalatorax, a tarterian dragon, was known for both her hatred of halflings, since glimmerskin halflings had destroyed several of her clutches at the behest of a consortium of gold and elysian dragons, and for her association with kobolds. Had he had a functioning stomach, it would have clenched in rage. With some further research, he confirmed that it had been Xexalatorax that instigated the attack on the Hin Fist monastery so long ago. This beast, he decided, must be destroyed.
Now the Silent Sigh is nearing his peak. While poison's usefulness is dropping off, he is doing respectable damage with Shadowblade and can use compression without negatively affecting his damage. Improved Precise Shot greatly improves his accuracy, while dimension slide gives him maneuverability. Starting at 12th level he can put Metalline on his Sai to overcome DR/Cold Iron, Silver, or Adamantine.

Allegro Silenzioso (Levels 16-20)
Xexalatorax would be more than challenge enough for the Silent Sigh, so he continued training relentlessly to hone his mind and body to a razor edge. He sought out the Catalogues of Enlightenment and gained the blessing of Fate. He learned to place his sai in any place on any creature. And he mastered hurling his weapons faster than the eye could see.

Eventually he was ready to face the dragon. Taking the form of a black wolf he traveled to the Tarterian Depths of Carceri, and there he stole up upon him. He swiftly changed back to his normal form and struck with his sai, which he had transformed into a blade of pure force. The dragon returned his attacks, but the Silent Sigh foiled them with his invisiblity and ability to teleport out of range of the attacks. Soon the dragon fell and the Silent Sigh returned to Faerûn.

Soon aver his vicory over Xexalatorax the Silent Sigh disappeared. Some have said he was taken directly by Shaundakul to 'live' by the Rider of Winds' side. Others claim he was ambushed by other tarterian dragons for killing Xexalatorax. Others say he travels still, in the guise of a wolf, protecting halfling villages and caravans.
The Silent Sigh is now very powerful, but has some distinct weaknesses. He gains a second bonus attack from flurrying, for a total of six. He also adds twice his Dexterity to damage, along with sneak attack and whatever abilities he places on his weapon. However, at this point many enemies can see him even while he is invisible, have immunity to stunning, or DR he must specifically prepare his Sai for. However, he still can do respectable damage and scout to assist his team

His final attack routine, unbuffed, is +29/+29/+29/+24/+19/+14, with each attack doing 1d3+17+2d6, plus whatever enchantments he puts on his sai. Each size category down he goes with compression his attack bonus increases by +2 and his damage increases by +0.5.

Whispering Wish-list
These are the things the Silent Sigh needs/wants to be more effective.
+Dexterity items. Each +2 increases attack by 1 and damage by 2.
+Strength items. Each +2 increases damage by 1
+Wisdom items. Each +2 increases the Stunning Fist DC by 1.
A wizard or item to cast greater mighty wallop on the called sai each morning.
Eventually, a more reliable form of nondetection than invisibility.
Orange Prisim Ioun Stone, which, at 20th, allows up to +3 abilities on the sai.
Torc of Power Preservation
A backup sai, preferably feycraft.
Ranger wands.

The Silent Secret
How the Silent Sigh mimics the Whisperknife:
{table=1]Whisperknife Ability|Silent Sigh Ability
Rapid Shot|Monk's flurry of blows
Uncanny dodge|Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment: Fate domain) feat
Sneak attack|Assassin's Stance stance
Defensive throw|Perfect archery power, Cloak of Deception maneuver
Improved catch, superior catch|Telekinetic boomerang power
Fast movement|Shape-changing ranger's fast movement
Poison use|Necropolitan immunity to poison
Vengeful strike|Stunning fist, Ki Focus sai
Improved uncanny dodge|Necropolitan immunity to sneak attack (partial)
Ranged flank|Ranger's distracting attack (to allow allies to flank), Cloak of Deception maneuver (to activate sneak attack)
[/table]

The Roads Not Travelled
These are some ideas not included in the official build for one reason or another.

If Assassin's Stance qualifies him for Craven, this should be taken as soon as possible after 11th level.
If flaws are included, moving a number of feats earlier in the build will allow the Silent Sigh to pick up Metapower (call weaponry, Linked Power) for a free second-level buff buff power each battle and another useful feat such as Expanded Knowledge, Rapid Shot, or Craven.
While Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment: Fate) is necessary to fully emulate Whisperknife, it doesn't significantly contribute to the build. This can be traded for Craven, Expanded Knowledge, or something similar. (This also frees up a bunch of skill points that can be put to use in Move Silently, Spot, or Listen.)
Like Panar Touchstone, the Distracting Attack ACF is nice but not significantly useful. Urban Companion may be a better choice, particularly for a hummingbird. Shape-shifting ranger can also be dispensed with in favor of ranged combat style, netting Rapid Shot.
Your soulbound weapon is a specific weapon. This may mean you can choose for it to be feycraft; if this is possible you should so that it can be wielded as though you have Weapon Finesse. Otherwise buying a backup will suffice.
If fractional BAB is used, the final level of ranger should be traded for another level of Psychic Warrior. You'll still get BAB 16 (and that final iterative), and a 5th-level power.
Let's go crazy and say you're gestalt. Moving warblade and ranger levels to the other side will improve your manifester level a great deal. Fighter levels at strategic points will get you bonus feats early and free up psychic warrior bonus feats for psionic feats, and taking the ACF in DotU will get you Dexterity to damage yet again, though only on flat-footed foes. Shiba Protector (if you're allowed into it as a halfling) will get you Wisdom to attack and damage. Taking ranger further will get you more utility out of wildshape, though you'll probably never want to fight in animal form. More warblade will get you more useful maneuvers and stances. Paladin, combined with the Serenity feat, will get you Wisdom to saving throws and Wisdom-based smite. Cloistered Cleric followed by a class with high skill points and all knowledge skills will give you Knowledge Devotion for considerably more damage.

Non-SRD Sources
Champions of Valor – Shadow Sword substitution level
Complete Champion – Spiritual Connection ACF
Complete Psionic – Linked Power, Metapower, powers
Dragon Compendium – Dead Eye
Eberron Campaign Setting – Monastic Training
Exemplars of Evil – Invisible Fist ACF
Expanded Psionic Handbook – powers, Psionic Meditation, Psychic Warrior
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting – Strongheart Halfling
Libris Mortis – Necropolitan
The Mind's Eye: Expanded Classes, Part 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) – Soulbound Weapon ACF
Planar Handbook – Planar Ranger substitution level, Planar Touchstone
Player's Handbook II – Distracting Attack ACF
Races of the Wild – powers
Secrets of Sarlona – Tashalatora
Tome of Battle – maneuvers, Martial Stance, Martial Study, Shadow Blade, stances, Warblade

Note: at the request of the competitor, I have made one edit which does not substantially change any aspect of the build. I changed the bbcode hyperlink for the Soulbound Weapon ACF to function properly. This edit should not reflect on the entry.

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:51 PM
Night falls, and now my watch begins...

The Man From Talenta
Strongheart Halfling Ranger(Distracting Attack, Champion of the Wild)4/Scout3/MasterThrower5/Avenger8
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feat|Class Features

1st|Ranger 1|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|+4 Concentration, 2 Disguise , 4 Hide, 4 Listen, 4 Move Silently, 4 Spot, 4 Search, 4 Tumble| Dead Eye, Talenta Warrior (Strongheart Bonus feat) |Favored Enemy (Humans), Track, Wild Empathy

2nd|Ranger 2|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|+1Climb, +1/2 Disguise , +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble|-| Ranged Combat Style: Rapid Shot

3rd|Ranger 3|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|+1Climb, +1/2 Disguise , +1 Hide, +1 Knowledge Local, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble|Point Blank shot| Endurance

4th|Ranger 4|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|+1Climb, +1/2 Disguise , +1 Hide, +1 Knowledge Local, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble| Precise Shot (Champion of the Wild)| Distracting Attack

5th|Scout 1|
+4|
4|
+6|
+1|+1Climb, +1/2 Disguise , +1 Hide, +1 Knowledge Local, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Survival, +1 Tumble|-| Skirmish 1d6, Trapfinding

6th|Avenger 1|
+4|
+4|
+8|
+1| +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +2 Sleight of Hand | Boomerang Daze | Sneak attack +1d6, death attack, poison use, spells

7th|Avenger 2|
+5|
+4|
+9|
+1| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand |-|+1 save against poison, uncanny dodge

8th|Avenger 3|
+6|
+5|
+9|
+2| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand |-|Sneak attack +2d6

9th|Master Thrower 1|
+7|
+5|
+11|
+2| +1 Climb,+1Concentration, +1 Jump, +1 Sleight of Hand, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble| Weapon Focus: Talenta Boomerang, Quick Draw (Master Thrower) | Thrown Weapon Trick: Defensive Throw

10th|Avenger4|
+8|
+5|
+12|
+2| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand |-|+2 save against poison

11th|Avenger 5|
+8|
+5|
+12|
+2| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand |-| Improved uncanny dodge, sneak attack +3d6

12th|Avenger 6|
+9|
+6|
+13|
+3| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand | Boomerang Ricochet | +3 save against poison

13th|Avenger 7|
+10|
+6|
+13|
+3| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand |-| Sneak Attack +4d6

14th|Avenger 8|
+11|
+6|
+14|
+3| +1 Disable Device, +1 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble, +1 Sleight of Hand |-|+4 save against poison, hide in plain sight

15th|Master Thrower 2|
+12|
+6|
+15|
+3|+1 Climb,+1Concentration, +1 Jump, +1 Sleight of Hand, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble| Improved Precise Shot| Evasion

16th|Master Thrower 3|
+13|
+7|
+15|
+4|+1 Climb,+1Concentration, +1 Jump, +1 Sleight of Hand, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble|-|Thrown Weapon Trick: Tumbling Toss

17th|Master Thrower 4|
14|
+7|
+15|
+4|+1 Climb,+1Concentration, +1 Jump, +1 Sleight of Hand, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble|-| Snatch Arrows

18th|Master Thrower 5|
+15|
+7|
+15|
+4|+1 Climb,+1Concentration, +1 Jump, +1 Sleight of Hand, +1 Spot, +1 Tumble| Darkstalker| Thrown Weapon Trick: Weak Spot

19th|Scout 2|
+16|
+7|
+16|
+4|+1Climb, +1/2 Disguise , +1 Hide, +1 Knowledge Local, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Survival, +1 Tumble|-| Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge (Again)

20th|Scout 3|
+17|
+8|
+17|
+5|+1Climb, +1/2 Disguise , +1 Hide, +1 Knowledge Local, +1 Listen, +1 Move Silently, +1 Search, +1 Spot, +1 Survival, +1 Tumble|-| Fast movement +10 ft., skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC), trackless step[/table]

“I am the night!”
Stories have been told of the Man From Talenta, a dangerous assassin in the service of his country. Halflings of the region say that he omnipresent, watching over the little traders, guiding and protecting them. The human scoundrel he targets tell much different tales. They say that their fellow swindlers don’t ever make it back from their dishonest trades in the planes and are found days later. Bludgeoned to death. By tiny boomerangs.

Poppin Shortfellow grew up in a little village on the plains. It was the only home he had ever known. His early years were before he became the dark avenger of his people were spent as a hunter. However, it pained him that so many of his fellow halfings were taken advantage by the larger traders and mob bosses. One day he decided to take matters into his own hands. He tracked down the leader of one of the trade cartels, and made an example out of him. His success sent a message to those who would do harm to his people... From then on he was their protector, and would do anything to keep them safe.

Avenger Spell List:
1st: True Strike, Disguise Self, Jump, Feather Fall
2nd: Alter Self, Invisibility, Pass Without Trace, Spider Climb
3rd: Deeper Darkness, Misdirection, False Life, Nondetection
4th: Greater Invisibility, Locate Person, Dimension Door

Sources:
Distracting Attack, PHBII
Champion of the Wild, Complete Champion
Scout, Complete Adventurer
Avenger, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a
Dead Eye, Dragon Compendium (Errataed, http://paizo.com/download/dragon/compendium/DragonCompendiumVolumeIErrata.pdf)
Talenta Boomerang, Talenta Warrior, Boomerang Daze, Boomerang Ricochet (Races of Eberron, Eberron Campaign Setting)
Strongheart Halfing (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)
Darkstalker (Lords of Madness)

Stats and build notes:
Starting Stats after Racial changes: Str 8, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Leveled Stats going into Dexterity, providing damage through Dead Eye, Initiative, skill bonuses, Attack Bonus with Ranged weapons, and Armor Class.

For feats, Darkstalker can be swapped out for Obtain Familiar for a helpful companion. Craven doesn’t fit well with the character thematically, unless you are substituting Avenger for Assassin.

Notes:
I was unhappy with how the class worked in general, since I do not like to assume you get to select your magic items as you progress. Boomerangs were chosen so you could have a weapon that could return to you (albeit on a miss) without requiring a magic returning weapon.

For itemization, focus on dex and items to give skills bonuses. Weapon Crystals to avoid sneak attack immunity would be a good decision. The character can use Runestaves, and one with Greater Magic Weapon can help cut magic item costs for carrying so many boomerangs, if it’s allowed.

In combat, he strikes with his boomerang, dazing with Boomerang Daze, dealing damage, and making the target Flanked with Distracting Attack. Out of combat he makes a decent scout, trapfinder, and tracker.

Avenger can be swapped out for Assassin for the better spell list, but Avenger’s flavor fits better with Whisperknife.

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:52 PM
Damned to never be a Whisperknife.

The Dakkamancer
TN Old Necropolitan Strongheart Halfling Ranger 13/Incantatrix 7

Point buy:
STR 8 (5)
DEX 14 (11)
CON 8 (--)
INT 16 (18)
WIS 18 (20) (insert level up bonuses to continue)
CHA 8 (10)

There's a little agreement me and the rest of the Order of the Shooting Star have.

The short version of the story is that I've been slumbering in a chamber in the dirt for centuries, and wouldn't you know it, that order there built a building right on my escape hatch. So when I woke up, I was right mad at them. After teleporting out, obviously. But I like them. They've got the connection with arcane magic, just like I do. So I agreed to stay underground if they wouldn't bother me much, and if they let me crib off their arcane notes. In return, I play defender with them. I'm a halfling, despite the old and stretched dead flesh of mine making me look kinda gnomish, ahaha. It's a joke. So, when some of the other halflings in the order get hurt from some bad guys, I go after them.

I throw daggers into their squishy bits.

I throw a lot of daggers.

Whisperknife? You could say that. I mean, it's not perfectly accurate, but it's close enough.

DAKKAMANCER

1st|Ranger 1|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Iron Will, Zen Archery (Bonus)|1st favored enemy, Track, wild empathy

2nd|Ranger 2|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Rapid Shot (Combat Style)|Combat style

3rd|Ranger 3|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Quick Draw|Endurance

4th|Ranger 4|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot||Distracting attack

5th|Ranger 5|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot||2nd favored enemy

6th|Ranger 6|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Sword of the Arcane Order, Manyshot (Combat Style)|Improved combat style

7th|Ranger 7|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot| |Woodland Stride

8th|Ranger 8|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot| |Swift Tracker

9th|Ranger 9|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Silent Spell|Evasion

10th|Ranger 10|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot||3rd favored enemy

11th|Ranger 11|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+3|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Improved Precise Shot (Combat Style)|Combat style mastery

12th|Ranger 12|
+12|
+8|
+8|
+4|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot|Arcane Thesis (Launch Item)|

13th|Ranger 13|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+4|Climb, Balance (CC), Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Tumble (CC), Spellcraft (CC), Knowledge (Arcana) (CC), Concentration, Spot||Camouflage

14th|Incantatrix 1|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+6|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft x3, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration|Chain Spell (Bonus)|Bonus metamagic feat, focused study

15th|Incantatrix 2|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+7|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft x3, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration|Extend Spell|Cooperative metamagic

16th|Incantatrix 3|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+7|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft x3, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration||Metamagic effect

17th|Incantatrix 4|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+8|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft x3, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration)|Persistent Spell (Bonus)|Bonus metamagic feat

18th|Incantatrix 5|
+15|
+9|
+9|
+8|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration, Spot x2|Mobile Spellcasting|Metamagic spell trigger

19th|Incantatrix 6|
+15|
+10|
+10|
+9|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration, Spot x2||Seize concentration

20th|Incantatrix 7|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+9|Tumble (CC), Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Concentration, Spot x2|Empower Spell (Bonus)|Bonus metamagic feat, instant metamagic 1/day[/table]

Explanations
Level 5: Aha, those were the days. Man. I mostly relied on my intuition to shoot arrows at people. They got all confused every time, and it made them seem like they were flanked whenever one of my buddies went up to hit them. That was my job.

Level 10: I got better at magic, and picked up my special connection to the arcane. I liked using the weaker wizardy spells to help me out. Ever heard of Swift Haste? Good times, good times. And Hunter's Eye is just the best, from the divine side. I could shoot a bunch of arrows quickly, with my combat style.

Level 15: Got tired of using arrows, and switched to daggers. After I had learned to cast silent spells and made sure my will was strong enough, I took on the role of the secluded incantatar. I quickly learned how to chain a spell, and did a lot of study on Launch Item. It's a neat little cantrip that does what it sounds like it does. It turns out that if you chain it, you can launch a cluster of items. Daggers were my favorite. Imagine nine daggers coming right at you from up to 760 feet away, hehehe. Popping off a Hunter's Eye beforehand and making a person flanked with the first dagger meant that the last 8 hit their sensitive organs. Lots of damage, there. With my archery talent, I also knew how to shoot through concealment and such, and still relied on my intuition to hit--which also helped me memorize more spells.

Level 20: This was just before I went to sleep, and how I operate today. I can modify a spell after I cast it, up to five times. I like to make a Hunter's Eye last 24 hours and get empowered, Extend two Primal X spells, and make a Clouds of Knives last all day. Repeat the next day, using the other two Primal X spells. These days, I can shoot up to twelve daggers at once, and don't have to worry about running out of spells as much because of the all-day Hunter's Eye. It's good, because I don't have as many spells as most spellcasters. Gotta wonder way. It's just my path, I guess.

Am I a Whisperknife?
Skills: Got 'em. What else?
Feats: I can draw a weapon real quick, which I need to get out so many daggers. I can't rely on my dexterity to hit someone, but as for flinging daggers with both hands? I can shoot twelve daggers at once; what more do you want?
Sneak Attack: Hunter's Eye. It's a blast. (3d6 * 1.5) I also like to keep a Lesser Rod of Maximize Spell to add a big enough kick to compete with experienced scroundrels.
Defensive Throw: I just cast Launch Item defensively.
Improved/Superior Catch: Moving and throwing daggers? I can move while casting a spell. If I release the daggers at the end of my movement, they'll come back to me if they happen to be returning. The point (heh) is that I can move and shoot at the same time.
Close Defense: I like it when someone aids another. Sometimes I like to summon an ally of nature and have it do that with me, improving my ability to avoid attacks.
Fast Movement: Well, I do cast Primal Speed every day to keep up with the tall people.
Poison Use: I'm dead. You can't poison the dead.
Vengeful Strike: You know, it's pretty similar to my Icelance spell. Has increased accuracy and can stun for just as long. Sometimes I like to make it silent...I guess I could whisper their name before casting a silent one?
(Improved) Uncanny Dodge: I get this from having all of my Primal X spells up.
Ranged Flank: I was doing this, in a way, back in the early days. A distracting attack with one dagger is how I get the other eleven into someone's kidney. I have to actually hit the guy instead of standing there like a dingbat, but I can do it from way, way father away.
Dagger Shtick: You've been paying attention, right?

Sources
PGtF: Strongheart Halflings, Incantatrix, Persistent Spell, Icelance
Libris Mortis: Necropolitan
PHB II: Distracting Attack
Champions of Valor: Sword of the Arcane Order
Complete Adventurer: Mobile Spellcasting
Complete Arcane: Chain Spell
Complete Warrior: Zen Archery
Dragon Magic: Primal X line

---

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:53 PM
I am a sexy shoeless god of...

Kaylan the Dauntless

This is Legen-wait for it... DARY

The Racing Panther tribe had settled in the area about a day’s walk from the bend of the M’Penda river, deep in the jungles of Tel Kesh.

It was here, under the massive canopies of century-old trees, that a young Halfling with a great destiny was born. Kaylan was seemingly born to the jungle – he could run across the branches of the trees with near-elven grace, and was a more than competent scout and hunter-gatherer for the tribe.

But this all changed when the goblins attacked.

Seven years later, the prodigal son returned to the home of his tribe as the last remaining member. The goblins had settled their own colony there, taking advantage of the halfling’s now abandoned infrastructure. He had been training with many masters; merciless ones who taught him the Sublime Way, and a scarred old dwarf who taught him how to throw his knives.

He returned, and was not merciful. The goblins needed to learn that there were consequences to hurting and killing the hin, and he was the blooded tool that taught.

The survivors of the massacre described him as an avenging god. His blades, as long as his forearms, they swore, seemed to fly from his hands and strike goblins down from near twenty feet away, before somehow boomeranging back into his hands, drenched in their lifeblood.

The bloody Halfling then proceeded on his crusade, butchering goblin encampment after encampment. It was only when he arrived at the main village that he stopped. From his belt, he removed a dozen scalps, those belonging to the leaders of the colonies.

“Hear my words, you pustules on the wood” he said, in an oddly accented, but perfect Goblin “This day marks the end of your expansionist efforts. I find one goblin trying to dig so much as a latrine slit more than 4 miles outside of these shabby walls, I will slowly kill him. And then return and butcher every. Last. One. Of you. Are we perfectly clear?” In the dead silence, a single child began to weep.

Without even turning around, he flung a blade nearly 6 inches long at the noise, and it whirled to the child and slit it’s throat before returning to his hand, still dripping the crimson liquid.

“I believe that I’ve made my point”. The Halfling walked out of the compound, leaving disbelieving faces and the keening of the mother behind him.

How a Whisperknife is created...

1st|Scout 1 |
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Balance 4, Disable Device 4, Hide 4, Jump 4, Knowledge (geography) 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Search 4, Sleight of Hand 2, Spot 4, Tumble 4|Point Blank Shot |Skirmish (+1d6), trapfinding

2nd|Scout 2 |
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0| Balance 5, Disable Device 5, Hide 5, Jump 5, Knowledge (geography) 5, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, Search 5, Sleight of Hand 2.5, Spot 5, Tumble 5||Battle fortitude +1, uncanny dodge

3rd|Scout 3 |
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1| Balance 6, Disable Device 6, Hide 6, Jump 6, Knowledge (geography) 6, Listen 6, Move Silently 6, Search 6, Sleight of Hand 3, Spot 6, Tumble 6|Two Weapon Fighting |Fast movement +10’, skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC), trackless step

4th|Scout 4 |
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1| Balance 7, Disable Device 7, Hide 7, Jump 7, Knowledge (geography) 7, Listen 7, Move Silently 7, Search 7, Sleight of Hand 3, Spot 7, Tumble 7|Precise ShotB|

5th|Warblade 1 |
+4|
+3|
+4|
+1|Balance 8, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Sleight of Hand 3.5| |Battle Clarity (Reflex saves), Weapon Aptitude

6th|Bloodstorm Blade 1 |
+5|
+5|
+4|
+1|Balance 9, Hide 9, Move Silently 9, Sleight of Hand 4|Throw AnythingB, Weapon Focus (short sword)|Returning attacks

7th|Bloodstorm Blade 2 |
+6|
+6|
+4|
+1|Balance 10, Hide 10, Move Silently 10, Tumble 9||Martial throw, thunderous throw

8th|Scout 5|
+6|
+6|
+4|
+1|Hide 11, Listen 10, Move Silently 11, Search 10, Spot 10| |Evasion, skirmish (+2d6, +1 AC)

9th|Master Thrower 1 |
+7|
+6|
+6|
+1|Hide 12, Move Silently 12, Spot 12, Tumble 12|Guerilla Warrior, Quick DrawB|Thrown weapon trick (defensive throw)

10th|Master Thrower 2 |
+8|
+6|
+7|
+1|Hide 13, Listen 11.5, Move Silently 13, Spot 13, Tumble 13||Improved evasion

11th|Master Thrower 3 |
+9|
+7|
+7|
+2|Hide 14, Listen 13, Move Silently 14, Spot 14, Tumble 14| |Thrown weapon trick (deadeye shot)

12th|Warblade 2 |
+10|
+7|
+7|
+2|Hide 15, Listen 14, Move Silently 15, Spot 15, Tumble 15|Improved Two Weapon Fighting|Improved uncanny dodge

13th|Master Thrower 4 |
+11|
+7|
+8|
+3|Hide 16, Listen 15.5, Move Silently 16, Spot 16, Tumble 16|Snatch ArrowsB|

14th|Master Thrower 5 |
+12|
+7|
+8|
+3| Hide 17, Listen 17, Move Silently 17, Spot 17, Tumble 17| |Critical throw, thrown weapon trick (weak spot)

15th|Warblade 3 |
+13|
+7|
+9|
+4|Concentration 4, Hide 18, Listen 18, Move Silently 18, Spot 18, Tumble 18|Darkstalker|Battle ardor (critical confirmation)

16th|Warblade 4 |
+14|
+8|
+9|
+4| Concentration 8, Hide 19, Listen 19, Move Silently 19, Spot 19, Tumble 19| |

17th|Warblade 5 |
+15|
+8|
+9|
+4| Concentration 12, Hide 20, Listen 18, Move Silently 20, Spot 18, Tumble 20| Blade Meditation (Iron Heart)B|

18th|Warblade 6 |
+16|
+9|
+10|
+5| Concentration 16, Hide 21, Listen 18, Move Silently 21, Spot 18, Tumble 21|Power Attack|

19th|Warblade 7 |
+17|
+9|
+10|
+5| Concentration 20, Hide 22, Listen 18, Move Silently 22, Spot 18, Tumble 22| |Battle cunning (damage)

20th|Warblade 8 |
+18|
+10|
+10|
+5|Concentration 23, Hide 23, Listen 18, Move Silently 23, Spot 19, Tumble 23| | [/table]
Initiating
{table=head]Level|Manoeuvres known|Manoeuvres readied|Stances known |IL

1st|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-

5th|3|3|1|3

6th|3|3|1|3.5

7th|3|3|1|4

8th|3|3|1|4.5

9th|3|3|1|5

10th|3|3|1|5.5

11th|3|3|1|6

12th|4|3|1|7

13th|4|3|1|7.5

14th|4|3|1|8

15th|5|3|1|9

16th|5|4|2|10

17th|6|4|2|11

18th|6|4|2|12

19th|7|4|2|13

20th|7|4|2|14[/table]

Manoeuvres Known
Diamond Mind: Moment of Perfect Mind, Mind Over Body, Hearing the Air, Moment of Alacrity, Avalanche of Blades
Iron Heart: Wall of Blades, Punishing Stance, Iron Heart Surge, Dazing Strike, Manticore Parry, Finishing Move
Stone Dragon: Mountain Hammer

General Information

Kaylan the Dauntless, NE male jungle halfling
Scout 5/Warblade 8/Bloodstorm Blade 2/Master Thrower 5

Ability scores:
Strength 10, Dexterity 18, Constitution 14, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 10, Charisma 08

Final scores (naked):
Strength 10, Dexterity 23, Constitution 14, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 10, Charisma 08
*All increases to Dexterity

From the Shadows...

Early levels
You’re a small scout. Use that to your advantage – grab a thrown weapon (likely something like a sling, to take advantage of your racial bonus and Point Blank Shot) and activate skirmish every turn. You also can function as the skillmonkey, though your skills are far more physical than anything else.

Mid levels
You’ve gotten Bloodstorm Blade, so now you’re happily tossing around your short swords like a manic fool. Bands of extended range are a cheap, 2000gp item that doubles the range of your swords to 20ft, or 40 if you’ve taken the time to get the distance enchantment on them. Your Reflex save is top-notch, thanks to Evasion and Battle Clarity, and your Fortitude doesn’t completely suck. You’re really getting to be more lethal here, and thanks to Returning Weapons, you can heavily invest in your ‘thrown’ weapons, as you won’t lose them. Punishing stance for more damage is always nice, and you really don’t want to be in melee anyways.
You snag all of your Master Thrower levels here, culminating in the wondrous weak spot ability. You don’t have a Strength bonus to worry about anyways, so all of your damage will have to come from your daggers, with a chance of skirmish activating.

Late levels
Your strategy is now in full swing. Power Attacking for as much as you dare, nab as much extra damage onto those things as you can bear. When you hit Avalanche of Blades, prepare to snigger wildly. We’ve (finally) gotten around to pumping up our Concentration checks, meaning Moment of Perfect Mind changes our weakest save (Will) into our strongest save. Iron Heart Surge can save our collective bottoms, and Hearing the Air provides us with some back-up just-in-case.

End game
How’s trading out Manticore Parry for Finishing Move sound for a capstone? That’s what I thought.

How Kaylan replicates a Whisperknife

Full BAB: He ends with a BAB of +18, just a hair short of full

Entry Requirements: He has all the relevant feats save weapon finesse, but since he concentrates on tossing his “knives”, he uses dexterity anyways. He also fulfills all of the skill requirements, as well as the Special requirement of Sneak Attack +1d6 (skirmish can qualify in place of it).

(Improved) Uncanny dodge: obtained through Scout and Warblade levels.

Defensive Throw: replicated through the Defensive Throw ability of Master Thrower

Improved Catch: Bloodstorm Blade. Enough said.

Close Defense: I couldn’t replicate it exactly, but through a combination of fighting defensively and attacking touch ACs, you should get a comparable return.

Fast Movement: Scout, thank you very much.

Poison Use: racial feature of jungle Halflings.

Vengeful Strike: martial maneuvers are arguably much, much more useful than this ability. Just in case, I picked up the Dazing Strike maneuver.

Ranged Flank: No cigar, but I’m hitting touch ACs, so I really don’t give a damn.

Adaptation

In my games, we don’t tend to use Flaws, but if they’re allowed, take a pair that don’t impact you and get Darkstalker at first level, and push Power Attack down to 15th and take Greater Two Weapon Fighting at 18th.

Sources

Complete Adventurer (Scout)
PHB (feats)
Tome of Battle (Warblade, Bloodstorm Blade)
Complete Warrior (Master Thrower)
Unearthed Arcana (Jungle Halfling)
Heroes of Battle (Guerilla Warrior feat)
Complete Psionic (Bands of extended range, item)

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:54 PM
He belongs to the Zinc Saucier Club, no Whisperknives allowed.

Garret Wigglebottoms
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5418449768_fc08979a2a_m.jpg

Garret was a part of a gang of halfling toughs when he was younger. They were ready to become part of a larger gang specializing in murders and theft. They were going to get specialized training in some sort of “whisper knife” style of fighting. When Garret decided to follow his friends to this training, they stopped him outside the training facilities. They started laughing and then would not let him inside. They closed the door in his face. Garret was heartbroken. His friends have left him all alone.
Just then the door opened and a halfling hand put a sign on the door. It read “Whisper Knife Club: No Garrets Allowed.”
Garret stormed away but vowed to be better at this “whisper knife” club than his former friends. He studied similar skills that his friends learned in the hopes that one day he will kill each and every one of them.

NE halfling Warblade 9/Bloodstorm Blade 1/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5
32 point buy
Str 13, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 8 (after racial modifications)
ability increases: Str at level 4, Dex for rest

Build
{table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Warblade 1|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0| Balance 4, Climb 4, Concentration 4, Intimidate 4, Jump 4, Sense Motive 1, Sleight of Hand 1, Tumble 4|Point Blank Shot|battle clarity (Ref saves), weapon aptitude; halfling traits

2nd|Warblade 2|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0| Balance +1, Concentration +1, Sense Motive +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Tumble +1| |uncanny dodge

3rd|Warblade 3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| Balance +1, Concentration +1, Sense Motive +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Tumble +1|Precise Shot|battle ardor (critical confirmation)

4th|Warblade 4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1| Balance +1, Concentration +1, Sense Motive +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Tumble +1| |

5th|Warblade 5|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1| Balance +1, Concentration +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1|Improved Initiative (B)|

6th|Bloodstorm Blade 1|
+6|
+6|
+1|
+1| Concentration +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Spot 3, Tumble +1|Throw Anything (B), Weapon Focus (dagger)| returning attacks, weapon aptitude (2)

7th|Warblade 6|
+7|
+7|
+2|
+2| Balance +1, Concentration +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1| |improved uncanny dodge

8th|Warblade 7|
+8|
+7|
+2|
+2| Balance +1, Bluff 1, Concentration +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1| |battle cunning (damage)

9th|Warblade 8|
+9|
+8|
+2|
+2| Balance +1, Bluff +1, Concentration +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1|Two Weapon Fighting|

10th|Master Thrower 1|
+10|
+8|
+4|
+2| Acrobatic Backstab skill trick, Bluff +2, Concentration +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Spot +1|Quick Draw (B)| thrown weapon trick (defensive throw)

11th|Master Thrower 2|
+11|
+8|
+5|
+2| Hidden Blade skill trick, Bluff +1, Concentration +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1| |evasion

12th|Master Thrower 3|
+12|
+8|
+5|
+3| Nimble Stand skill trick, Bluff +1, Concentration +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1|Far Shot|thrown weapon trick (tumbling toss)

13th|Master Thrower 4|
+13|
+8|
+6|
+3| Bluff +1, Climb +1, Concentration +1, Jump +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1|Snatch Arrows (B)|

14th|Master Thrower 5|
+14|
+8|
+6|
+3| Sudden Draw skill trick, Bluff +1, Concentration +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1| |critical throw, thrown weapon trick (double toss)

15th|Invisible Blade 1|
+15|
+8|
+8|
+3| Balance +1, Bluff +1,Climb +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1|Martial Stance (absolute steel)| dagger sneak attack +1d6, unfettered defense

16th|Invisible Blade 2|
+16|
+8|
+9|
+3| Balance +1, Bluff +1,Climb +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1| |bleeding wound

17th|Warblade 9|
+17|
+8|
+10|
+4| Balance +1, Climb +1, Concentration +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1|Iron Will (B)|

18th|Invisible Blade 3|
+18|
+9|
+10|
+5| Balance +1, Bluff +1,Climb +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1|Flick of the Wrist|dagger sneak attack +2d6, uncanny feint (move action)

19th|Invisible Blade 4|
+19|
+9|
+11|
+5| Balance +1, Bluff +1,Climb +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1| |feint mastery

20th|Invisible Blade 5|
+20|
+9|
+11|
+5| Balance +1, Bluff +1,Climb +1, Jump +1, Sense Motive +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1| |dagger sneak attack +3d6, uncanny feint (free action)
[/table]

Maneuvers
{table=head]Level|Known|Readied|Stances

1st|3|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|4|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|5|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|5|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|7|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|8|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|8|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|8|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|8|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Maneuvers Known (by level):
1 moment of perfect mind, steel wind, hunter's sense (stance), sudden leap
2 douse the flames
3 action before thought
4 wall of blades (replaces steel wind), bolstering voice (stance)
5 white raven tactics
7 iron heart surge (replaces douse the flames)
9 lion's roar
15 absolute steel [stance via feat]
17 swooping dragon strike

Whisperknife Emulations
{table=head]Whisperknife abilities|Emulated by
Rapid Shot (as feat, daggers only)|Master Thrower 5 (double toss [similar])
uncanny dodge|Warblade 2 (same)
sneak attack +1d6|Invisible Blade 1, 3, 5 (dagger sneak attack)
defensive throw|Master Thrower 1 (defensive throw)
improved catch|Bloodstorm Blade 1 and Master Thrower 3 (returning weapon and tumbling toss [similar])
close defense|Invisible Blade 1 (unfettered defense)
fast movement (+10 ft)|absolute steel stance (+10 ft while in stance)
poison use|none
vengeful strike| swooping dragon strike (jump attack, 8d6 damage, plus save vs stun)
superior catch|Bloodstorm Blade 1 and Master Thrower 5 (returning weapon and double toss [similar])
improved uncanny dodge|Warblade 6 (same)
ranged flank|none[/table]

Source List
Complete Scoundrel: skill tricks
Complete Warrior: Invisible Blade and Master Thrower prestige classes, Flick of the Wrist and Throw Anything feats
Tome of Battle: Warblade class, Bloodstorm Blade prestige class, maneuvers

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:55 PM
All clear. Judges, please proceed to review and judge at your leisure. I do ask that you finish within two weeks, which should be sufficient time.

Humble Master
2013-06-09, 06:57 PM
I'm new to this. Is there any particular format I need to judge with?

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 06:58 PM
I'm new to this. Is there any particular format I need to judge with?

There is none, other than you have 4 categories to judge in, originality, power, elegance, and use of secret ingredient, and can award up to 5 points in each category. If you are unclear on what all of those mean, I recommend you review some previous competitions, or the Iron Chef competitions, to see how other judges proceeded.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-09, 07:03 PM
Huh. That's... a lot of Master Throwers.

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 07:06 PM
Huh. That's... a lot of Master Throwers.

Meh. I saw more bards last round in IC than we have entries here :smalltongue:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-09, 07:08 PM
You saw more than 60% bards? Clearly, we're looking at very different threads.:smalltongue:

(I'm going off percentages here, not actual numbers)

Humble Master
2013-06-09, 07:26 PM
I noticed that too. Gonna give a point in originality for those who didn't use Master Thrower.

mattie_p
2013-06-11, 09:33 PM
So I've updated the original post, linking to Aphemtryon's most excellent advice. I also linked sample judging criteria (mine) and some tips on how a judge operates from Venger of Iron Chef fame.

Speaking of Judging, how are you doing, Humble Master? Are any other judges out there?

Humble Master
2013-06-11, 09:40 PM
I'm working on it. Also two questions. First do I just post my judging on this thread or do I post it somewhere else? Second do I need to post my ratings of all the contestants at once?

mattie_p
2013-06-11, 09:49 PM
I'm working on it. Also two questions. First do I just post my judging on this thread or do I post it somewhere else? Second do I need to post my ratings of all the contestants at once?

You should post your judging here. And please post all your ratings at once, it's like ripping a band-aid off. 'Twere best done quickly.

Snowbluff
2013-06-11, 09:52 PM
You should post your judging here. And please post all your ratings at once, it's like ripping a band-aid off. 'Twere best done quickly.

Innovation: 1. We've heard this before. :smalltongue:
Power: 4. Tells the guy what to do.
Elegance: 4. Used a simile. Would have gotten more points with a metaphor.
Ingredient: 2. Only used the word "band-aid" once.

Humble Master
2013-06-11, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry but looking into these builds more I find that I don't have a lot of the books they use. As such unless someone can supply me with a way to get at the material they used I think I will withdraw from judging. Again, my apologies.

mattie_p
2013-06-11, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry but looking into these builds more I find that I don't have a lot of the books they use. As such unless someone can supply me with a way to get at the material they used I think I will withdraw from judging. Again, my apologies.

Ebay or craigslist are the only legal ways, my friend. If you must withdraw, then do so.

We have a position open for judging. Any takers? If not, I fear the competitors will face mine...

Snowbluff
2013-06-11, 10:06 PM
Can't we just tell him the gist of the abilities he can not look up?

Humble Master
2013-06-11, 10:06 PM
Well, I shall not break the law for something as simple as D&D. I shall withdraw. Still I will try to compete next competition.

mattie_p
2013-06-11, 11:39 PM
Can't we just tell him the gist of the abilities he can not look up?

Unclear. IANAL. If we don't get another judge, I'll do it, but I'd prefer for community participation first. I also need to finish my IC build.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-12, 02:53 AM
I could take a stab at it. I'm familiar with all of the resources used, at any rate, and most of them make a decent enough job at pointing out where and how they duplicate the Secret Ingredient

Snowbluff
2013-06-15, 03:37 PM
So, is um... someone going to judge? :smallfrown:

mattie_p
2013-06-15, 03:43 PM
So, is um... someone going to judge? :smallfrown:

I believe Shneeky is. If not, I can judge later on, I'll give him a few days to decide.

dysprosium
2013-06-19, 12:40 PM
How is everybody doing?

Snowbluff
2013-06-19, 05:16 PM
Anxious. We should find some judges, stat!

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-20, 12:05 AM
The Silent Sigh
My reaction:
My sigh was not so silent, unfortunately. Tashalatora? Come on.

Warblade dip was completely silly. A Swordsage dip would've let you pick up the maneuver and stance without needing to blow feats. In fact, two levels into Swordsage at approprate levels would've saved you quite a bit. Or, if you really prefer the Warblade's maneuver recovery system, drop the final level of Ranger and pick up Warblade2. Planar Touchstone for Catalogues of Enlightment for the Fate Domain ability of Uncanny Dodge? How cumbersome is that? Wildshape Ranger 5 does absolutely nothing for you, since the wildshape does nothing for you in general, it could have easily been left by the wayside. I get that you picked up Wildshape Ranger for the speed, it was actually fairly clever (Barbarian with Whirling Frenzy would have done as well, with more dakka from the auto-haste).

Judging:
Innovation: it's a mixed bag. On the one hand, Tashalatora was expected, so was necropolitian, however while I expected Ranger, using Wildshape Ranger for the speed rather than MoMF is a new one. I'll call this one a 2.5

Power: Well, your damage output isn't really all that much to talk about. 2d6 sneak attack. Dissolving Weapon has a little hitch. You see, it only works on the first time the weapon hits. I'm assuming you are using Psychic Boomerang to be throwing the exact same sai over and over again, that means that damage only applies on the first attack with that weapon. Mind you, it's theoretically possible to do Dissolving Touch with many weapons (duration: instantaneous, and it doesn't have the limitation Dissolving Touch has with fading after a round), but not the way you've set it up. We'll call this one 2.5.

Elegance: Ugh, where to begin? Using Planar Touchstone when you could've just gone Ranger4 and Warblade2? Yea, not so much. However, the rest of it isn't... too bad... I guess. While Tash is Known Cheese, it's also a fairly elegant way to meld Monk into a psychic build. And you got a lot of milage out of at least four out of the five levels of Ranger, what with all those ACF's. Bonus half point for not being item dependent. And you lose it for your early levels and Con dumping. You likely wouldn't have survived to become a Necropolitian as a Monk with that low a Con score. 2.5

Emulation of Secret Ingredient: You actually do this quite well. You play fast and loose with a few of the ways you emulate it, but hey... that's part of the competition! The only fly in the ointment is Improved Uncanny Dodge. Immunity to flanking does not equal immunity to precision-based damage. 4.5

SCORE:

I: 2.5
P: 2.5
E: 2.5
EoSI: 4.5
TOTAL: 12

The Man from Talenta

My Reaction:
You'd have done far better to have thrown Scout in earlier and picked up Swift Hunter so all of your Sneak Attack dice apply to creatures normally immune. As it stands, 90% of your damage output doesn't work on half the things out there. However, Ranger/Scout/Master Thrower/Assassin was really one of the more obvious choices out there. You also didn't really explain what your build does. Granted, I can puzzle it out easily enough, but it would have been nice to call out your combos.

Judging:
Innovation. As I said, this was one of the more predictable routes. Strongheart Halfling is also an obvious choice for someone whose damage output isn't relying on weapon size or strength. I will give you Avenger instead of Assassin, so that brings it up to a 2.0. Okay fine, since you're actually using boomerangs, and this is the first time I've seen Boomerang Riccochet used legitimately (i.e. without Aptitude), I'll toss you an extra half point to 2.5.

Power. Like I said, you have no way of bypassing immunity to precision-based damage, which is most of your damage output. Shadow Blade would've done SO much for you, seeing as how you can add Dex bonus to damage with your knives, while negating your Str penalty to damage via Master Thrower. You've got higher burst capibility than the previous entry, but it is also a lot more fragile. Granted, darkstalker can help you stay alive longer, but you need to be able to hurt something to kill it. 2.0

Elegance. Well, it does pretty much hang together. Not item-reliant. You did use source material from conflicting campaign settings (Talenta from Eberron then Strongheart Halfling from Forgotten Realms) which some GM's might be upset about. Nothing I wouldn't allow at my table, though. 4.0 and good job!

Emulation of Secret Ingredient. Well, you hit all the highlights, and do a pretty good job at it. If a Whisperknife decided to use boomerangs instead of knives, I could see him turning out very similar. 4.5

Scores:

P: 2.0
E: 4.0

TOTAL: 13

The Dakkamancer

My reaction:
I'm now missing two hunks of hair from where I ripped them out after viewing this build. It's... you build an Incantatrix and use him to... throw daggers? This build gets the unofficial Double Facepalm award. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't see Spell Matricies here. Launch Item is also a volley attack, sneak attack only applies on the first of such a volley, so you aren't actually doing what you think you are doing. Such potential squandered on such a petty parlour trick. It is like seeing miners throw out diamonds and gold while quarrying stone for building. You have Incantatrix and access to Orb of Fire. You could be doing a hundred times the damage your current trick does. Such waste offends my optimizer's soul to the very core of my being.

Judging:
Innovation. I'll... okay, I'll give you this, Sword of the Arcane Order isn't the usual entry into Incantatrix. And it certainly wasn't expected in this competition. So, much as it pains me to say, here's your 4.0.

Power. Well, I'm split, really. Your trick doesn't do what you think it does. Launch Item is a Volley Attack. Volley attacks only apply precision-based damage on the first attack. Granted, you have access to Gravestrike and Golemstrike to bypass immunities to precision-based damage, but you are only applying it once. Furthermore, you forgot Sniper's Sight to be able to apply precision-based damage outside of 30'. All told, your damage output stinks. Having said that, if you ever wanted to actually do something, you could easily roflstomp any reasonable, or even unreasonable challenge. Power based on your stated trick is 1.5. Power based on the character's potential is a flat out 5.0. Averaging out the two comes out to 2.75. Now I'm going to crack open that bottle of Mead, my head hurts.

Elegance. No. Just... no. You get all the permits and government contracts and build a nuclear reactor... then use it to boil a single cup of coffee. You have the power to rule the cosmos... you find yourself content to toss little pieces of metal at people. 1.0. A horrible misuse of power.

Emulation of Secret Ingredient. Well, yes, of course. You can do anything you like. If you just want to sit back and throw daggers, you're quite capable of that perfectly mundane feat. However, I don't see how summoning a disposable minion will help you avoid attacks. 4.0

Scores:

C: 4.0
P: 2.75
E: 1.0
EoSI: 4.0

TOTAL: 11.75

Kaylan the Dauntless

My reaction:
Umm... you seem to have miscalculated. The proper jumping off point for Bloodstorm Blade is 4, so you get Lightning Riccochet and don't need to rely on magic items. Returning Attacks uses up Iron Heart strikes per use. Other than that, it's pretty much expected... Warblade into Bloodstorm Blade and Master Thrower, plus a splash of something that does precision-based damage.

Having said that, it's a fairly elegant, if predictable, build.

Judging:
Innovation. Well, really it was quite expected. Everyone seems to be picking up Scout for precision based damage and extra movement requirements. The rest is Warblade/BloodstormBlade/MasterThrower which is the obvious build. 1.5

Power. You don't haz it. You've got... what, 2d6 skirmish damage if you move more than 10', which disables your TWF feat tree and your ability to have tons of attacks per round? If you initiate a maneuver, that's your standard action, so everything is relying on your initiating at range. Your only damage output boost is Battle Cunning for Int to damage against flanked opponents, that's not gonna cut it. 1.5, and only because you actually can initiate maneuvers at range.

Elegance. You've got a mostly Core + Completes + ToB build here (Guerella Warfare feat being the exception if you consider the SRD as Core), and everything does fit together fairly well. The only dip is Bloodstorm Blade, which is a PrC so forgivable. I'm curious how you qualified for Power Attack with a Str of 10, so there's one mechanical flaw, bringing you down to a 3.5.

Emulation of Secret Ingredient. One phrase really stuck in my craw... '... so I really don't give a damn.'. Umm... isn't the whole point of this competition to give a damn about emulating the secret ingredient? Improved Catch... unfortuantely, you're looking at the wrong Bloodstorm Blade class ability, you should've gone two more levels in Bloodstorm Blade if you wanted that to count. You didn't emulate Close Defense or Ranged Flank either. 3.0.

I: 1.5
P: 1.5
E: 3.5
EoSI: 3.0

TOTAL: 9.5

Garret Wigglebottoms

My reaction:
Again, Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade/Master Thrower/Something with Sneak Attack. Again, you forgot to read up on what Returning Attacks actually does. At least the previous build could initiate at range, you can't even manage that.

Having said that, you are Core + Completes, and everything is tied neatly together. Also, cute story about -why- he was trying to emulate Whisper Knife.

Judging:
Innovation: Hrrm... Warblade + Bloodstorm Blade + Master Thrower + Sneak Attack. Yea, I've seen this somewhere before. I've seen this three somewhere elses before. And it is the perfectly predictable path for pursuing the purposes of this performance. Invisible Blade is a natural expansion from Master Thrower since they share the same prerequsites and follows in the dagger theme. Sorry kiddo, 1.5.

Power: Actually... not too shabby, all things considered. Unlike most of the other builds, you actually have ways of applying your precision-based damage to all of your attacks. Unfortunately, you have no means of bypassing immunity to precision-based damage, meaning you pretty much can't affect a good chunk of things out there. Comes out to a 2.0

Elegance. Pretty good job here. The only dip was Bloodstorm Blade, which is a PrC and thus forgivable. In fact, you took two PrC's to their completion. Everything you used can be found in Core + Completes + ToB, which makes it easy for a GM to hunt down sources. They also share prerequsites, which are naturally filled without needing to go out of your way to do so. Umm... yea, 5.0. It is an elegant build.

Emulation of Secret Ingredient: Well, you don't get Ranged Flank, and your dip in Bloodstorm Blade doesn't do what you think it does, but other than that... you did a good job in both mechanics and flavor. 4.0

Scores:

I: 1.5
E: 5.0
EoSI: 4

TOTAL: 12.5

Jeff the Green
2013-06-20, 12:18 AM
I take it no one else is judging? Just in case, spoilering this.

Spoiler deleted

Snowbluff
2013-06-20, 12:19 AM
This shall not be over yet! You might want to delete the spoilered content. :smallcool:

mattie_p
2013-06-20, 12:19 AM
I take it no one else is judging? Just in case, spoilering this.

We have some more time, please remove your reveal, if you don't mind. I might judge if I can squeeze it, especially to break a 3-way tie.

Svata
2013-06-20, 12:22 AM
The Man from Talenta...
Scores:

E: 4.0

TOTAL: 12

by my count that equals 13, not 12. You have a winner.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-20, 12:24 AM

True, and then a two-way tie for 2nd, it seems.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-20, 12:38 AM

So it is... and so we do.

mattie_p
2013-06-20, 12:43 AM
Well, in the meantime I'll let someone put up a nifty table. I'll also review past threads for recommended Secret Ingredients which I will totally not use in the near future.

And I would like at least one more judge, just to get another set of eyes on the entries.

Snowbluff
2013-06-20, 12:44 AM
There's 3 days until the deadline for judging, unless the Mattie_P wants to call it.

mattie_p
2013-06-20, 12:45 AM
There's 3 days until the deadline for judging, unless the Mattie_P wants to call it.

And you were totally whisperknifed there. :smallwink:

Snowbluff
2013-06-20, 12:53 AM
And you were totally whisperknifed there. :smallwink:

I-I don't see how. You're like, bigger than the planet! :smallfrown:

Svata
2013-06-20, 01:25 AM
Just glad to be useful.

dysprosium
2013-06-20, 11:19 AM
Thank you Shneeky for judging!

Here's a table!

Tallies after one judge
{table=head]Place|Name|Score

1st|The Man from Talenta|13|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|Garret Wigglebottoms|12.5*|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|The Silent Sigh|12|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|The Dakkamancer|11.75|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|Kaylan the Dauntless|9.5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

[/table]

* Garret Wigglebottoms had a Power score of 2.0 in the judging but the tally had it at 1.5.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-20, 07:04 PM
Thank you Shneeky for judging!

Here's a table!

Tallies after one judge
{table=head]Place|Name|Score

1st|The Man from Talenta|13|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|Garret Wigglebottoms|12.5*|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|The Silent Sigh|12|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|The Dakkamancer|11.75|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|Kaylan the Dauntless|9.5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

[/table]

* Garret Wigglebottoms had a Power score of 2.0 in the judging but the tally had it at 1.5.

Ahh, thanks. Typo fix'd.

Snowbluff
2013-06-20, 10:12 PM
Sheekey should get a meme poster. It should the bard avatar face. The top reads "Important member of the DnD OP boards for years." The bottom reads "Can't add."

I jest. We know you can add. :smalltongue:

mattie_p
2013-06-21, 11:00 PM
So, a couple of days left in this competition and I'm waiting. First, to see if another judge materializes from thin air. (unlikely). Second, and more important, because I have yet to decide on a SI for the next round. I'm weighing a few, and as a hint, I will say that at least one of these will never become an Iron Chef Secret Ingredient.

I'm leaning towards that one.

Snowbluff
2013-06-21, 11:07 PM
Oh, if it not an Iron Chef option it should be interesting. :smalltongue:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-22, 12:09 AM
Hmmm... I scored about what I guessed I would, give how much time I spent on it.

Nicely done, Shneeky.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-22, 12:14 AM
Hmmm... I scored about what I guessed I would, give how much time I spent on it.

Nicely done, Shneeky.

I scored a little bit lower, but then my ego usually needs deflating. I can't say I disagree, either, so hear, hear!

mattie_p
2013-06-22, 11:11 PM
I'm going to call it here.

Once again, thank you Shneeky for judging!

Here's the Final Tallies
{table=head]Place|Competitor|Name|Score

1st|Snowbluff|The Man from Talenta|13|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|dysprosium|Garret Wigglebottoms|12.5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|Jeff the Green|The Silent Sigh|12|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|Kazyan|The Dakkamancer|11.75|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|Kuulvheysoon|Kaylan the Dauntless|9.5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

[/table]

Congratulations to you all, I hope you enjoyed competing as much as I did watching (also, I'm glad I didn't have to judge).

Be on the lookout for a new competition shortly. It'll be epic.

Kazyan
2013-06-22, 11:21 PM
Man, I have a knack for builds that don't actually work, don't I. And I probably shouldn't use such overpowering ingredients next time.

Congrats to Snowbluff, and to all the entrants.

dysprosium
2013-06-22, 11:32 PM
Congratulations Snowbluff!

Thanks again to Shneeky for judging.

See you guys for Zinc Saucier XV!

mattie_p
2013-06-22, 11:33 PM
No, I'll see you there! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289233)

Jeff the Green
2013-06-22, 11:44 PM
Man, I have a knack for builds that don't actually work, don't I. And I probably shouldn't use such overpowering ingredients next time.

Congrats to Snowbluff, and to all the entrants.

Eh, it's not much worse than including a class in your build and not reading it so you don't realize that it gives one of the things you needed so you take a random feat that you didn't need to take.

Congratulations everybody!

Snowbluff
2013-06-22, 11:58 PM
Thank you. I kind of saw me winning and I wanted to be a good sport and see if another judge showed up before the deadline, but oh well. I gambled with the avenger, but it seems to have payed off.:smallsmile:

I hope we have enough judges next time.

mattie_p
2013-06-23, 12:05 AM
I hope we have enough judges next time.

As the red-headed step child of Iron Chef, we've squeaked by for a while. Honestly, if someone feels like judging Iron Chef but doesn't yet feel up to it, this is the thread to do it in, we've never had more than 7 or 8 competitors yet, and average is more like 3-5.

Snowbluff
2013-06-23, 12:07 AM
As the red-headed step child of Iron Chef, we've squeaked by for a while. Honestly, if someone feels like judging Iron Chef but doesn't yet feel up to it, this is the thread to do it in, we've never had more than 7 or 8 competitors yet, and average is more like 3-5.
If it looks like we need more next time, I'll withdraw and judge.

Also, I think I like Zinc Saucier better.

mattie_p
2013-06-23, 12:19 AM
If it looks like we need more next time, I'll withdraw and judge.

Also, I think I like Zinc Saucier better.

Up to you, and thanks. I've been more deeply involved in ZS than IC, and for longer. In fact, my first post on this forum was for a ZS competition in monk.

But feel free to compete or judge as you like. As I said before, we've been squeaking by. Someone eventually steps up.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-23, 12:34 AM
Before I started Chairing Iron Chef, I was moderately involved over here.

Take a look at the first eight Zinc Sauciers or so - odds are pretty good that I judged at least half of them.