PDA

View Full Version : Hit Die, level adjustment and level loss. (3.5)

Mr Wigglepants
2013-05-26, 10:41 AM
So from what I gather when getting level loss you just lose a level, specifically: A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die.

But it doesn't say which you would lose first, Hit Die or your Level Adjustment (SRD:LA - Add this number to the creature’s total Hit Dice). I does seem to infer you lose whatever level you last gained. Specifically I'm trying to figure out an easy way to get a +0 werewolf...

Do I just get to choose? If so then losing the initial HD would be the obvious choice as then I could just buy off the LA. Or am I missing some nuance of Hit Die's? Does it matter how I lose the level or how I gained the LA or HD?

Jeraa
2013-05-26, 10:46 AM
A level adjustment is not a level. Its an adjustment to a level. Level adjustments have no hit dice or any other features, it only increases your effective level. Losing a level does not reduce your level adjustment (that would actually be a benefit, not a drawback like losing a level would be.) The only way to lower your level adjustment is if you are using the (optional) level adjustment buyoff rules.

If you lose a level, you either lose a class level or a racial hit dice (And everything that goes along with it.) I believe class levels first, then racial hit dice.

The SRD rules on level loss:

A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die. The character’s base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable). If the exact ability score or skill ranks increased from a level now lost is unknown (or the player has forgotten), lose 1 point from the highest ability score or ranks from the highest-ranked skills. If a familiar or companion creature has abilities tied to a character who has lost a level, the creature’s abilities are adjusted to fit the character’s new level.

The victim’s experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level.

Level adjustment is never mentioned, and is never affected by level loss.

Mr Wigglepants
2013-05-26, 11:02 AM
So a Human Natural Lycanthrope ECL 5 (no class levels) that gained the Necropolitan template would then have an ECL of 4?

Jeraa
2013-05-26, 11:12 AM
So a Human Natural Lycanthrope ECL 5 (no class levels) that gained the Necropolitan template would then have an ECL of 4?

A human natural werewolf as 2 racial hit dice, with a level adjustment of +3. All natural lycanthropes in the book also have a class level, so I assume that is still required as well. So a human natural lycanthrope has a minimum of 1 class level, 2 racial hit dice, and a +3 level adjustment. It counts as a 6th level character.

Becoming a Necropolitan causes you to lose a level, which would be the lycanthropes class level. That would leave them with 2 racial hit dice, and a +3 level adjustment, and so be an ECL 5 character.

If a class level is not required by a natural lycanthrope, then you are correct. You would go from 2 racial hit dice with a +3 level adjustment (ECL 5), to only a single racial hit dice and a +3 level adjustment (ECL 4).

Mr Wigglepants
2013-05-26, 11:18 AM
And if they were newly afflicted they would lose the werewolf HD first?

Mr Wigglepants
2013-05-26, 11:46 AM
Looking at some lycanthrope builds you apparently add your animal HD last after class levels? Meaning these would come off first? I don't know where this comes from though...

jindra34
2013-05-26, 11:51 AM
Looking at some lycanthrope guilds you apparently add your animal HD last after class levels? Meaning these would come off first? I don't know where this comes from though...

You always apply at least your first (in the case of natural, for afflicted they are applied at point of infection) hit die/class level before animal HD. Covered in the section on applying on the template.

Flickerdart
2013-05-26, 11:52 AM
Whatever you gained most recently comes off first. A newborn natural lycanthrope has 1 normal level with the RHD on top of it, but if he takes any levels after that, he will lose those levels and not the RHD first if he ever loses levels.