PDA

View Full Version : Dweomerkeeper

Talya
2013-05-26, 11:18 AM
I saw this class earlier and was suddenly interested. Somehow I'd never seen this little 3.5 update. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a)

Let's ignore cheese, and pretend the class doesn't allow you to cast wish without an XP component, and also assume I have no interest in DMM Persist.

It's the flavor of it I like...even for its original purpose.

Let's say... Cloistered Cleric of Mystra. Magical training on the table if I want to avoid losing caster levels, though with Anyspell it's not strictly necessary, so that would be more of an archivist thing.

How would you build her?

Amoren
2013-05-26, 11:55 AM
Hmmm, from what I recall, Followers of Mystra try to make a lot of magic items, to help magic spread? Or was that another magic deity that I'm thinking of?

Anyway, one thing you could do is perhaps actually take that wizard level, and cap off Dweomerkeeper with Mystic Theurge, since I believe a lot of clerics of Mystra, by lore, are also Theurges. If you use the Alternate Spell Source feat from dragon (cast arcane spells as divine spells, or divine spells as arcane spells, at -1 CL) then you can qualify for Mystic Theurge with only one level of wizard.

That should leave you with a very flavorful combination for a Cleric of Mystra, one that helps to blend both divine and arcane magic together.

Zombulian
2013-05-26, 01:30 PM
I was recently trying to figure out a way to get Body Outside Body onto a Shaman with the Hero Domain. Make Body Outside Body, Giant Size, and Divine Power all (Su).
Hooray, full BAB ginormous army of myself! Granted you can do this sort of with Wu Jen and Archmage anyway, but I like Shaman and Dweomerkeeper.

But yeah, that's just me liking Shaman. I'm sure a Mystra Cleric could do a lot better.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-05-26, 01:49 PM
Definitely spend a feat on Initiate of Mystra, though it's not necessary until later on (9 or 12) as you probably won't run into antimagic until then. It's fairly standard to start out with the Rune domain as it grants Scribe Scroll, and spend a feat on Magical Training because it gives you a spellbook of your own from which to prepare spells for Anyspell. You'll just have to gain the Spell domain later on via another prestige class.

It's pretty obvious to include five levels of Divine Disciple to finish out the build, though most builds that use this take it after the second Dweomerkeeper level to pick higher level spells for Mantle of Spells and to get its domain sooner. I'd prefer to mix it with four Divine Oracle (gaining its feat prerequisite via the Frog God's Fane in CS) and one Contemplative level. You could go with an Elf or Half-Elf race and dip Seeker of the Misty Isle to get the Travel domain regardless of who you worship. You can dip Ruathar to get Survival as a class skill to qualify.

If going Archivist then you'll definitely want to include at least one Sacred Exorcist level, even if you're not going to use DMM there are still plenty of other divine feats. DMM: Chain Spell is actually quite amazing, especially with Destruction as the DC won't be increased since it deals damage.

For the Mantle of Spells, keep in mind you can pick domain spells for it. Anyspell won't work for it as it has to use a domain slot when you cast it, but Limited Wish is one of your best choices for versatility. If you get the Travel domain then it's got some amazing choices for your mantle of spells, though you could opt to spend a feat on Domain Spontaneity for it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-26, 03:39 PM
Sha'ir could be a very interesting entry. Sha'ir can enter straight into it, and the supernatural casting can get around the Sha'ir preparation method to cast any spell from the sorc/wis list or a number of cleric spells as a standard action.

Zombulian
2013-05-26, 03:43 PM
Sha'ir could be a very interesting entry. Sha'ir can enter straight into it, and the supernatural casting can get around the Sha'ir preparation method to cast any spell from the sorc/wis list or a number of cleric spells as a standard action.

Ooh that's a cool one. Though you need to acquire the Magic Domain somehow, so probably take a level of Contemplative?
I've done a Sha'Ir Geomancer before, never thought of this though.

Talya
2013-05-26, 03:55 PM
Definitely spend a feat on Initiate of Mystra, though it's not necessary until later on (9 or 12) as you probably won't run into antimagic until then. It's fairly standard to start out with the Rune domain as it grants Scribe Scroll, and spend a feat on Magical Training because it gives you a spellbook of your own from which to prepare spells for Anyspell. You'll just have to gain the Spell domain later on via another prestige class.

I don't get this. Cloistered cleric gets two domains PLUS Knowledge Domain.
She can take Spell and Rune domain right from the start.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-26, 04:16 PM
I don't get this. Cloistered cleric gets two domains PLUS Knowledge Domain.
She can take Spell and Rune domain right from the start.

Need the Magic domain to qualify for Dweomerkeeper.

Talya
2013-05-26, 04:36 PM
Need the Magic domain to qualify for Dweomerkeeper.

Ah. Well, I wouldn't mess around with ways to get spell domain back, then. Rune domain provides an item crafting feat, but I can't get spell domain quite so easily as I can a feat. Anyspell, however, is rather essential to the concept. (not that it's needed per se, with the Magical Training feat.)

Edit: Hmm. Initiate of Mystra makes it so that spell domain is no longer needed...at least if it's used the way intended and the DM doesn't decide RAW means the feat doesn't modify the Anyspell spells. (Initiate of Mystra does seem to indicate the entirety of Anyspell now works in a cleric spell slot, despite the spell saying domain slot.)

Rastakir
2013-07-24, 10:32 AM
Hi someone can help me to make a rock build with Dweomkeeper

Thx friends

Petrocorus
2013-07-24, 10:26 PM
Ooh that's a cool one. Though you need to acquire the Magic Domain somehow, so probably take a level of Contemplative?
I've done a Sha'Ir Geomancer before, never thought of this though.

I'm currently working on Sha'Ir builds, and i would appreciate if anyone has an easier way to get the Magic domain. The single skill requirement of Contemplative is not so easy for the Sha'Ir who tend to be skill-starved.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-25, 06:55 AM
Knowledge devotion provides one knowledge skill as a class skill. Boom, done.