PDA

View Full Version : Researched spells

Melcar
2013-05-26, 12:24 PM
Hello...

First of all I want to say, that I play in the Forgotten Realms campaign Settings, and that might reflect on the following spells.

I’m hoping here to have some constructive criticism about the spells I here mention. Please feel free to comment and point out anything that comes to mind. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks

Melcar’s Elemental Guardian
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/wis 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One action
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 level)
Area: 25ft. + 5ft./2 level
Duration: 1 round/ 4 caster levels. (Max 5 rounds at level 20)
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
The caster creates a magical tree headed hydra that form anywhere the caster chooses, within the spell range. It immediately starts to attack random enemies in the spell area. Each head attacks once every round dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per 4 caster levels, to a maximum of 5d6 at level 20.
Material Component: A hydra scale and a pinch of sulfur.

Any thoughts?

Xeratos
2013-05-26, 02:08 PM
In regards to your "elemental guardian" spell (the only spell listed as of this posting):

How do you determine what constitutes "random targets?" Is that GM discretion?
Can it see things that its caster might not be able to (invisible, hiding around the corner, etc.)?
Can it be attacked? If so, what are its stats? If not, what happens if someone tries to attack it anyway?
Can it be moved to a new location each round it remains active, or is it stationary once it's created?
Can each of the three heads attack different targets each round, or do they all focus on the same one?

Now, on to the actual math. There are three heads, so a level 9 wizard (the minimum level needed for a 5th level spell slot) would do 6d6 per round for 2 rounds, allowing for a total of 12d6 damage for one spell, where as Cone of Cold (also a 5th level evocation spell) is a mere 9d6, but have the possibility of catching multiple targets in its cone (balanced by the drawback of catching allies as well).

A level 12 wizard casting this would mean your hydra would deal 9d6 per round for three rounds, for a grand total of 27d6, as opposed to the equivalent Cone of Cold, which would only do 12d6.

At level 16, this becomes 12d6 for 4 rounds, or 48d6, now pretty thoroughly trumping Cone of Cold's hard cap of 15d6.

By 20, we're up to 15d6 by 5 rounds, or 75d6 damage for a 5th level spell.

Let's compare 75d6 to the damage done by Meteor Swarm, a 9th level evocation spell. Meteor Swarm unleashes 4 meteors, each of which do 6d6 points of damage in a 40 foot radius. That's 24d6, and additionally, you can target them as ranged touch attack for an additional 2d6 bludgeoning damage, bringing our total up to 8d6 single target bludgeoning damage and 24d6 fire damage in a 40 foot radius. As long as we hit at least 3 targets, we're pretty close to breaking even at 8d6 bludgeoning plus 24d6 x3 (72d6) fire.

That's pretty comparable, except for the fact that Meteor Swarm is not a 5th level spell. The save DC is a bit higher, but I'm not sure that quite balances out there. Here's an out of game drawback for you as well: if we assume each head can attack individual targets, then it's a reflex save for every head attacking, each round. At level 20, that means you're forcing your DM to roll 5 reflex saves a round, for 5 rounds, just from this spell, in addition to whatever other spells you cast for the other 4 rounds. I don't know about you, but if I have to roll 25 d20s for one spell, I'm going to get highly annoyed in a hurry.

My recommendation: either cut the multiplier to damage or duration on your spell, or cap its growth at the 3rd interval, possibly even pushing it to every 5 instead of 4 levels (3d6 per head at level 15 instead of 12).

Unrelated to the numbers, is this perhaps inspired by the "Hydra" spell employed by wizards in D3?

Melcar
2013-05-26, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the great criticism, its really informative, and helpful.

It’s not attackable, but a successful dispel magic will... well dispel it. The DM chooses randomly for all the targets, dividing all the hydra attacks equally among them. So even though it deals 75d6 total damage each target will get less. If there’s 15 targets, it only deals 5d6 damage to each. So it’s not totally random i guess.

And to answer you D3 question... Yes, it is inspired by the Hydra spell.

I will try to specify more how it works, like I tried above. And think about the math in the spell.

PS. I will post more spells!

Melcar
2013-05-26, 04:00 PM
Here is the next spell in line. Please comment. Any criticism is very helpful.

Thanks

Melcar’s Missile Storm
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wis 7
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10ft./ Level.)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
The caster of this spell creates a number of missiles per level (max 20) these float around him for an instant then striking one or more targets decided by the caster. No target can be more than 30 feet apart. Each missile does 2d6 points of damage. The missiles counts as magic missiles, for the purpose of other spell effects!

Max Caysey
2013-05-26, 06:05 PM
I do believe you got this from Neverwinter right???:smallbiggrin:

I think its a good spell. I have always liked force spells!!!:smalltongue:

TuggyNE
2013-05-26, 06:08 PM
Evocation [Fire]
The caster creates a magical tree headed hydra that form anywhere the caster chooses, within the spell range. It immediately starts to attack random enemies in the spell area. Each head attacks once every round dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per 4 caster levels, to a maximum of 5d6 at level 20.

This seems odd; it's an Evocation spell that acts like a Conjuration (summoning) spell in many respects. (Also, "tree" should probably "three-", and "one action" should be "one standard action".)

"Random enemies" needs to be clarified in the text, and I'd suggest making all the heads breathe a jet together, as the regular pyrohydras do, to cut down on superfluous Reflex saves.

Are the heads' breath weapons actually area attacks, or are they single target attacks that use Reflex for half? I'd advise marking the save as "Reflex half, see text" and then clarify that you can't make a Reflex save to get rid of the hydra, even if you have evasion.

It’s not attackable, but a successful dispel magic will... well dispel it. The DM chooses randomly for all the targets, dividing all the hydra attacks equally among them. So even though it deals 75d6 total damage each target will get less. If there’s 15 targets, it only deals 5d6 damage to each. So it’s not totally random i guess.

You should also note in the spell text that the guardian cannot be attacked. Does cold damage do anything to it, though?

Melcar’s Missile Storm
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wis 7
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10ft./ Level.)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
The caster of this spell creates a number of missiles per level (max 20) these float around him for an instant then striking one or more targets decided by the caster. No target can be more than 30 feet apart. Each missile does 2d6 points of damage. The missiles counts as magic missiles, for the purpose of other spell effects!

Again, this needs a standard action casting time. Also, specify how many missiles per (caster) level; presumably one, but that's not stated. Clarify the wording of target spacing using the model of mass cure light wounds: "One or more creatures, up to the number of missiles, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart", and put that in the Target line.

I gotta admit that a seventh-level spell being defeated by shield is kind of lame; maybe give it a limited ability to bypass that?

ngilop
2013-05-26, 06:16 PM
i have no idea how Xeratos is getting 75d6 dmg with this spell at 20th level 3 heads capable of doing 5d6 damage means you are only doing 5d6(3) or 15 d6 damage.

I am at a loss for words on why he decided to randomly multiply that final number by 5.

alll in all this is an awesome 5th level spell but it could use a bit mroe actually

it let it gain a new head at 15th and again at 20th caster level
so youc ould be doing 5d6 fire damage to up to 5 targets at 20th level

also you do need to include how one determines 'random'

my guess is you you just got done playing diablo 2 and said 'hey that is a cool spell time to make it 3rd edition-ified.

I woudl also make it a ranged touch attack and not a save ref/half makes more sense to me that wya as it helsp balance it better against other 5th level evocation spells ( lets ignore how 3rd level trans/conj spells outperfom any 5th evo for the moment)

your missle storm spell is underwhelming for a 7th level make it 6th as it stand right now its not really much better than force missles a 4th level spell ( they do 2d6 and explode in a 5 foot raidus i do bleive ) and chain missles is a 3rd level spell. so maybe even making this a 5th level spell would not be too much, but i would feel safer to leave it as 6th.

Xeratos
2013-05-26, 06:19 PM
This seems odd; it's an Evocation spell that acts like a Conjuration (summoning) spell in many respects.

There is a second level evocation spell called Flaming Sphere that's got that same quirk. As the name implies, it summons a big ball of fire for you to mentally control for a number of rounds. I don't recall offhand if you can cast other spells while it's active or if you have to concentrate to keep it going.

i have no idea how Xeratos is getting 75d6 dmg with this spell at 20th level 3 heads capable of doing 5d6 damage means you are only doing 5d6(3) or 15 d6 damage.

I am at a loss for words on why he decided to randomly multiply that final number by 5.

Because the spell has a duration. At level 20, it does 5d6 damage per head, times three heads, for 5 rounds. 5d6 x 3 = 15d6 a round, multiplied by 5 rounds means the spell's total theoretical damage is 75d6.

ngilop
2013-05-26, 06:24 PM
Ah ok. sorry about that then

i re-emphasixe making it ranged attack an dnot ref save/half on the fire shots then, makes it more balacning. a great spell for thinning out the mooks but not so much for the bigger guys. i look at it as a poor mans chian lightning also I would cut down on the number of rounds. I just make it last 3 rounds no matter the caster level. but keep the fire damage scaling still.

Xeratos
2013-05-26, 06:35 PM
a great spell for thinning out the mooks but not so much for the bigger guys.

On the contrary, the way his spell is currently set up, it works better for single target than multiples. If you've only got one target, then that target is getting blasted repeatedly, over and over again, for that theoretical 75d6. However, the more targets you have, the more spread out the damage will be. True area of effect spells like fireball, however, simply state "everything in range takes 10d6 fire damage" (assuming you're 10th level or higher). So it doesn't matter if you've got 4 targets, or 6, or 20. As long as they're all within the blast radius, it's 10d6 damage to each. If you could fireball 8 targets, then that's 80d6. Your ideal strategy would be to nuke all the minions first, then cast your hydra elemental guardian spell to pile the damage on your big bad guy. You know... assuming he's not immune to fire damage, and that you're a blaster caster.

ngilop
2013-05-26, 06:46 PM
Hmm.. true.. maybe enact a clause where the same target cannot be hit more than once in a round.

TuggyNE
2013-05-26, 09:03 PM
There is a second level evocation spell called Flaming Sphere that's got that same quirk. As the name implies, it summons a big ball of fire for you to mentally control for a number of rounds. I don't recall offhand if you can cast other spells while it's active or if you have to concentrate to keep it going.

Move action to redirect, as is standard for spells. However, note that it is pure energy, not the odd pseudo-hydra; Conjuration should not, orbs aside, be in charge of creating pure energy lumps most of the time.

Because the spell has a duration. At level 20, it does 5d6 damage per head, times three heads, for 5 rounds. 5d6 x 3 = 15d6 a round, multiplied by 5 rounds means the spell's total theoretical damage is 75d6.

Compare to incendiary cloud: 80d6 total damage to as many targets as fit in the area, Sor/Wiz 8 (Conjuration). Or cloudkill: 200d4 total Con damage (equivalent to 100d4 damage/HD) to as many targets as fit in the area, Sor/Wiz 5 (also Conjuration).

Xeratos
2013-05-27, 10:50 AM
Compare to incendiary cloud: 80d6 total damage to as many targets as fit in the area, Sor/Wiz 8 (Conjuration). Or cloudkill: 200d4 total Con damage (equivalent to 100d4 damage/HD) to as many targets as fit in the area, Sor/Wiz 5 (also Conjuration).

True, but on the other hand, Incendiary Cloud is an 8th level spell instead of a 5th level, and both of those spells will affect friendly targets as well, meaning that the possibility of actually getting the full use out of them is much smaller than the elemental guardian (which while, yes, has a limited range, could conceivably be able to reach every corner of the BBEG's throne room in his lair where you're duking it out with him). Those spells are incredibly useful under the proper circumstances, Melcar's Elemental Guardian is useful in pretty much any fight where you're in a room with enemies you want to set on fire, regardless of how crowded it gets.

Melcar
2013-05-27, 12:23 PM
Here are the changes I have made so far.

And thanks again for all the good comments.

Evocation [Fire]
Casting Time: One standard action
The caster creates a three headed hydra, of magical energy that form anywhere the caster chooses, within the spell range. It immediately starts to attack random enemies in the spell area, with bolt of energy that matches the element of the hydra (fire as a standard). Each head attacks once every round dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per 4 caster levels, to a maximum of 5d6 for 5 rounds at level 20. The hydra will, even though the attacks are random, divide its attacks equally among the number of enemies inside the spell area to the best of its ability. The hydra can only attack creatures that are visible, not hidden and without total cover. The hydra cannot be attacked, but a successful dispel magic, will end the spell.

Max Caysey
2013-05-27, 05:28 PM
Generally its realy good I think! I was thinking about trying to create som sort of DOT spell, but I do like this one too!!!:smallbiggrin:

Melcar
2013-05-27, 05:45 PM
Generally its realy good I think! I was thinking about trying to create som sort of DOT spell, but I do like this one too!!!:smallbiggrin:

Thanks!

Here comes another spell of mine. Again I would love some feedback!

Melcar’s Holy Bolt
Evocation
Level: sor/wiz 8
Components: V, S, M,
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close: 25ft + 5 ft./ 2 lvl
Target: One creature
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell resistance: No
The caster forms a glowing, bright sphere of intense white energy, between his hands and hurls it at the target. Any living creature struck is dealt 6d6 – 12 damage. Whereas any undead creature struck is dealt 1d6 + 2 damage per caster level to a maximum of 25d6 + 50. Any undead struck must take a will saving throw or be instantly destroyed.
Material component: A drop of holy water, and one lvl of spellfire.

Fire at will guys!:smallsmile:

Morcleon
2013-05-27, 07:29 PM
Thanks!

Here comes another spell of mine. Again I would love some feedback!

Melcar’s Holy Bolt
Evocation
Level: sor/wiz 8
Components: V, S, M,
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close: 25ft + 5 ft./ 2 lvl
Target: One creature
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell resistance: No
The caster forms a glowing, bright sphere of intense white energy, between his hands and hurls it at the target. Any living creature struck is dealt 6d6 – 12 damage. Whereas any undead creature struck is dealt 1d6 + 2 damage per caster level to a maximum of 25d6 + 50. Any undead struck must take a will saving throw or be instantly destroyed.
Material component: A drop of holy water, and one lvl of spellfire.

Fire at will guys!:smallsmile:

Hmm... So it's basically doing d3s to living creatures?

Don't most evocations allow SR?

Also, what's spellfire?

Nitpicky things:
Duration should be instantaneous.
You have an extra comma after "M" in the Components.

Melcar
2013-05-28, 05:57 PM
Thank you for pointing the mistakes out. I will change them accordingly. Spellfire is, like silver fire. A feat from Magic of Fearun. It’s basically like a spell level absorbed by a rod of absorption.

Now we will enter level 9 spells. Here comes another spell, which I would much appreciate to have some criticism on. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Melcar’s Aurora
Transmutation
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
When this spell is cast, the caster is transformed into raw magical energy. Silver white flames engulf the caster and shines like a bright light in a 40ft. radius. The shimmering, silver white flames protect the caster against any spell, spell like ability and effect that duplicate such to the extent of 50%. This silver fire also gives the caster a spell resistance equal to his caster level + int or cha modifier. And finally gives a + 2 bonus to spell DC, +2 bonus to spell penetration and +2 spell girding. (Competence) Even if Dispel Magic or Mordenkainen’s Disjunction is used to remove a currently active spell, the caster can instead of losing the spell block out the dispel effect. This causes 1d4 points of damage per spell level. When employing this spell, the tremendous power unleashed, causes the caster to burn and thusly take 1d6 points of damage each round.
Material Component: Blood from the caster.

Xeratos
2013-05-28, 06:06 PM
When you say 50% protection, that seems pretty straightforward for damaging evocation spells, but what about other school groups? How are you half protected from baleful polymorph or an illusion spell? How do you half protect yourself from hold person?

I'm also not sure what spell girding is and am feeling too lazy to go get my FR campaign setting out and look it up.

Melcar
2013-05-28, 06:13 PM
When you say 50% protection, that seems pretty straightforward for damaging evocation spells, but what about other school groups? How are you half protected from baleful polymorph or an illusion spell? How do you half protect yourself from hold person?

I'm also not sure what spell girding is and am feeling too lazy to go get my FR campaign setting out and look it up.

50% means that you roll a d100 to determine whether or not it affects the warded mage. This also includes AOE spells. 51-100 it breaks through the protection spell.

Spell girding is like armor class against dispelling magic. +2 mean that for a level 20 caster the dispelling enemy would have to roll 33.

Max Caysey
2013-05-30, 11:51 AM
Dude... thats some very powerful stuff!!!:smallamused:. Does it work on divine magic as well?

Melcar
2013-05-31, 05:20 PM
It sure does!