PDA

View Full Version : Swordsages. Tell me why?

Dirge
2013-05-26, 01:50 PM
Alright. This particular question has been bugging me for a while, so I figured I'd post it on here and get everyone else's thoughts on the subject. Well, my question is about swordsages, and, more specifically, the class skills they get. Or class skill, as in just the one I'm curious about.

Why do swordsages get Knowledge(nobility and royalty)? I get why they have they others, history and local factor into what they're about and all that, helping them track down more info on the sublime way and stuff. But how does nobility and royalty factor in? It's not that big a deal, granted, but it's one of those little things that have been gnawing at me for a while now. So. Thoughts? :smallsmile:

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-26, 01:55 PM
The swordsage's description explains him as a seeker of lore, knowledge, history, martial skill, and whatnot. After all, martial adepts (especially swordsages) probably held some pretty high positions with their wisdom and high influential powers.

Flickerdart
2013-05-26, 02:15 PM
Swordsages are a pretty good class for representing a courtier with skill at dueling - light armour but good at dodging, can be DEX-focused, has a variety of non-combat skills, and is not above a little skullduggery with Shadow Hand stuff when the situation calls for it.

Juntao112
2013-05-26, 02:16 PM
So that the ninja knows who to assassinate, of course.

Bakkan
2013-05-26, 02:20 PM
The Swordsage is also supposed to be able to represent a Samurai, which, in common conception anyway, is some type of nobility (like European knights).

ericp65
2013-05-26, 06:05 PM
The Swordsage is also supposed to be able to represent a Samurai, which, in common conception anyway, is some type of nobility (like European knights).

That's interesting, seeing as how there's already a Samurai class.

DarkEternal
2013-05-26, 06:13 PM
There is also a paladin class already and yet the Crusader is everything that a paladin is, only infinitely better.

Eslin
2013-05-26, 10:31 PM

There are two, one is bad and the other is horrible =P

Best samurai in the game is easily a warblade, you can make a warblade act exactly how a samurai is supposed to. Though I'm not sure why one was necessary, let alone two - aren't they basically just fighters?

Cog
2013-05-26, 10:46 PM
Though I'm not sure why one was necessary, let alone two - aren't they basically just fighters?

The Fighter's skill list and skill points really don't match the archetypal samurai. Warblade is much better for that.

CIDE
2013-05-26, 11:52 PM
There's a reason the ToB classes are called "fixes".

Ashtagon
2013-05-27, 12:10 AM

Even the fighter points and laughs at the samurai class.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-05-27, 12:15 AM

There's also a Swashbuckler, a Duelist, an Aristocrat, several ninjas and a monk not to mention Warriors and Fighters. That doesn't mean that Swordsage isn't intended to fit some of the Archetypes associated with those classes.

Rhynn
2013-05-27, 12:25 AM
I always figured the jian is the weapon of the swordsage (I mean come on, they're called swordsages), and the jian is a nobleman's sword. I mean, you can't get more swordsage than Master Li Mu Bai.

Edit: If we want to talk about class roles, everything except "fighting-man" and "magic-user" is unnecessary. :smallamused: