PDA

View Full Version : The Ki Invoker - A Sort-Of Monk, with room for expansion (P.E.A.C.H)

TheLonelyScribe
2013-05-26, 03:52 PM
This is a subset of choices from a class I hope to make called the Invoker. The Invoker is a caster which gains invocations like the Warlock, but these can be drawn from Psychic energies, Ki, or Cosmic power. The Invoker also chooses a discipline - either the Energist, who channels Psychic or Cosmic energy into powerful blasts, the Channeler, who augments their bodily capabilities with Ki or Cosmic power, or the Martial Artist, whose bodily discipline allows them to use their Ki or Psychic power in combat. Presented below is the Ki Martial Artist, intended to act as a replacement for the Monk.

The Ki Invoker
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invocations Known

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Least Invocations, Unarmed Strike, Unarmed Damage 1d6|1

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|-|2

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|AC bonus +1|2

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Evasion, Unarmed Damage 1d8|3

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Weapon Invocations|3

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Lesser Invocations|4

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Piercing/Slashing Strike, AC bonus +2|4

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Unarmed Damage 1d10|5

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Improved Evasion|5

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Acupressure (Least or Lesser)|6

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Greater Invocations, Double Invocation|7

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Unarmed Damage 2d6|7

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|AC bonus +3|8

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Unarmed Critical|8

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|-|9

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Greatest Invocations, Unarmed Damage 2d8|10

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Triple Invocation, AC Bonus +4|10

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|-|11

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Acupressure (Greater)|11

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Unarmed Damage 2d10|12

[/table]

Invoker Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen, Perform, Profession, Spot, Use Magic Device
Martial Artist Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
Skill points at 1st level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Martial Artist Discipline:
Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: You are proficient in the club, dagger, quarterstaff, nunchaku, sai, siangham, shuriken, and sling. You are not proficient in any armour or shields.

Unarmed Strike: You gain improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat at first level. You add your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier to unarmed attack rolls, but you still use strength to calculate damage.You can deliver touch invocations with your unarmed strike. You can choose whether the invocation takes effect before or after the damage from the strike. If your strike misses, then the invocation is not cast.Your unarmed strikes can be treated as manufactured weapons for the purpose of beneficial spells and powers, but cannot be targeted by spells such as chill metal. You can make unarmed strikes even when your hands are full, since you can attack with your knees, feet, and elbows.

Unarmed Damage: Your unarmed attacks do 1d6 damage. At level four this increases to 1d8, 1d10 at level 8, 2d6 at level 12, 2d8 at level 16, and 2d10 at level 20.

AC Bonus: At third level you get +1 AC when you are unarmoured. This increases by one point every four levels thereafter.

Evasion: At fourth level you get the evasion ability, as the rouge.

Weapon Invocations: At fifth level you can use the club, dagger, quarterstaff, nunchaku, sai, shuriken, or saingham (not the sling) to deliver touch invocations.

Piercing/Slashing Strike: At seventh level you can treat your unarmed attacks as piercing or slashing if you so wish. If you make more than one unarmed attack in one round they can still be different damage types.

Improved Evasion: At ninth level you get the improved evasion ability, as the rouge.

Acupressure: At tenth level you can use least or lesser invocations that normally only work on yourself on another creature if they allow you to perform acupressure on them for 10 minutes, during which time they can take no actions. At 19th level, you can use greater invocations with this ability.

Double Invocation: At eleventh level you can use two least invocations per round, as long as you are not wearing armour, each with a different unarmed attack.

Unarmed Critical: At fourteenth level you learn to hit weak spots. Your unarmed strike's critical range increases to 19-20, and its critical multiplier increases to x3
Triple Invocation: At seventeenth level you can use three least invocations per round, as long as you are not wearing armour, each with a different unarmed attack.

Ki Invocations:
Least:
Calming Touch: Works like the Calm Emotions spell.
Catfall: You fall slowly, as the Feather Fall spell.
Disturbance: Target must succeed on Will save or become shaken.
Endurance: You are protected from the elements, as the Endure Elements spell.
Heightened Senses: Gain bonus on Spot and Listen checks, and darkvision.
Masterful Step: Gain bonus on Balance, Jump and Tumble checks.
Poise: You can jump off of the surface of water, and scale sheer walls.
Resilience: Gain a bonus to one save.
Subtle Walk: Gain bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and +10 speed.
Temperature Upset: Target's temperature regulation systems are disturbed, causing it to take fire or cold damage.
Upset Constitution: Target must succeed on Fortitude save or become sickened.

Lesser:
Air Leap: You can jump in mid air and hover for short periods of time.
Balanced Mind: You can make saves against fear effects each round.
Blind: Target must succeed on Fortitude save or be blinded for 1 round.
Disable: Hinders target's attacks.
Disrupt Defence: Your attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming the target's damage resistance.
Distribute Ki: Trade one malady for another.
Hidden Step: Use Dimension Door as the spell, with a shorter range.
Opposition: Your attacks count as any alignment for the purpose of overcoming the target's damage resistance.
Restorative Meditation: Enter trance to slowly regain hit points.

Greater:
Confuse: Target must succeed on Will save or be confused for 1 round.
Disrupt Constitution: Target must succeed on Fortitude save or become nauseated.
Expanded Senses: Gain blindsense 30 feet.
Glandular Disturbance: Target takes acid damage from internal organs for several rounds.
Ki Push: Target must succeed on Fortitude save or be knocked back.
Move Freely: Use Freedom of Movement as the spell.
Muscle Disruption: Target must succeed on Fortitude save or take Strength damage.

Greatest:
Heart Stop: Target with less than level x 5 hp must succeed on Fortitude save or die.
Knockout: Target must succeed on Fortitude save or become unconscious.
Mistwalker: You become ethereal, but must succeed on a Will save each round or be pulled back into the material plane.
Nervous Control: Gain control over target's actions. Target gets Will save each round, but takes damage the longer they resist.
Repulsion: Target avoids you, as the Repulsion spell.
Wayfarer: Know the way to your destination, as the Find the Path spell.

Ki Invocations:
Ki invocations are supernatural abilities. They are learnt through meditation upon the Ki that flows through all beings, and put into practise by carefully altering the flow of Ki at certain points in the target's body. All Ki invocations that do not affect the caster have a range of touch. Using a Ki invocation is a standard action unless stated otherwise. To learn how to use a Ki invocation, an Invoker must have a minimum Wisdom score (11 for least, 12 for lesser, 13 for greater, 14 for greatest). The DC for saves against invocations are 10 + half the Ki Invoker's class levels (rounded down, at least one, up to nine) + the Ki Invoker's dexterity modifier.

Invocation Descriptions:
Air Leap
You can use the jump skill to jump into the air, even if there is nothing to support you, instead channelling your Ki upwards to support you momentarily in the air. As long as you could use the jump skill to get there if there was something to jump onto, you can jump onto a spot. You can only do this if you are carrying a light or medium load. You can stay in the spot only momentarily - for this invocation to work you must use your move action each round to jump. As long as you jump every round you are treated as having a 20 foot run up. As long as your only method of movement is jumping, you can jump more than your speed, if you have the capability to jump that far. You can use an extra move action to jump twice in one round (this is usually achieved by swapping your standard action for a move action). If you do not use your move action to jump you fall, but you can jump in mid air using this invocation next round - this takes up your standard action for this round, since you are casting the invocation anew. If used with the Martial Artist's acupressure ability, this invocation lasts 1 minute per Invoker level.

Balanced Mind
Your mastery of Ki allows you to expunge fear from your mind. If you are subject to a fear effect that allows a Will save, you can make a Will save against it each round, instead of just the first round. This invocation is a free action.

Blind
You unbalance the flow of Ki in your target's eyes. The target must succeed on a Fortitude save or be blinded for one round.

Calming Touch
You slow the flow of aggressive Ki around your target's body. The target must succeed on a Will save, or be Calmed like the Calm Emotions spell for 2 + dexterity modifier rounds.

Catfall
You channel your Ki upwards, causing you to fall slowly. You fall as if affected by the Feather Fall spell. You cannot affect other creatures or objects with this spell, except through the Martial Artist's acupressure ability, in which case the effect is dormant until activated, when it lasts for 1 round per invoker level. Casting this invocation is an immediate action.

Confuse
You disturb the Ki flowing through your target's nervous system, momentarily disorienting them. The target must succeed on a Will save, or be confused for one round.

Disable
The target loses some control over their Ki. They take a -1 penalty to attack rolls for one minute, with no save.

Disrupt Constitution
You create nauseating waves through your target's Ki. They must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. This does not work on targets who are already nauseated, or on targets that are immune to nausea.

Disrupt Defence
You channel a portion of your Ki into your target to make your attacks more penetrating. Your attacks against the target count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. This invocation lasts for 2 + dexterity modifier rounds.

Distribute Ki
You adjust the flow of Ki in your body, recovering from a malady by channelling Ki from elsewhere in your body. You can exchange any of the following conditions for another condition on the same list:
List 1: sickened, shaken
List 2: blinded, slowed, (Invoker level) points of damage
List 3: nauseated, confused, dazed, disabled (you gain one hit point when you stop being disabled using this power)
List 4: paralysed, panicked
You recover from the new condition when the old condition would have ended, or when an appropriate healing effect to overcome the new condition is performed on you.

Disturbance
You cause unsettling fluctuations in your target's Ki. They must make a Will save or be shaken for 1 minute. This invocation does not work on creatures that are already shaken, or who are immune to being shaken.

Endurance
You bolster your Ki to protect you against adverse conditions. You gain the benefit of the Endure Elements spell, with the same duration of 24 hours. You do not take nonlethal damage or become fatigued by hustling, running, or partaking in a forced march.

Expanded Senses
You channel your Ki to your eyes and ears, gaining blindsense out to 30 feet for 1 hour.

Glandular Disturbance
You cause the target's glands to produce acid. Starting on the round after you attack, the target takes 2d6 acid damage each round for one round per five invoker levels you have.

Heart Stop
You channel huge amounts of Ki into your target, disturbing their heartbeat and overwhelming your body. Your target must succeed on a fortitude save or die. Even if they succeed this save, they take 3d6 + your dexterity modifier damage. Creatures with hp more than 5 times your invoker level automatically succeed their save.

Heightened Senses
You channel your Ki to your eyes and ears, gaining +6 to Listen and Spot, and darkvision out to 30 feet for 1 hour.

Hidden Step
You tap into the universal flow of Ki to transport your body a short distance. You use Dimension Door as the spell, but you are the only target, and the range is reduced to Close (25ft. + 5ft./level).

Ki Push
You channel a burst of Ki into your target, pushing them back. You target, as long as they are Medium or smaller, must make a Reflex save or be hurled 1d6×5 feet (1d6 squares) directly away from you andknocked prone. If the creature strikes a solid object, it stops prematurely, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet hurled, and it is still knocked prone. Movement from this invocation does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Knockout
You use Ki to overwhelm your target. They must succeed on a Fortitude save or fall unconscious for one minute.

Masterful Step
You balance your body by attuning your Ki, gaining +6 to Jump, Tumble, and Balance checks for one hour.

Mistwalker
You follow the flow of Ki into the ethereal plane. You can become ethereal, as the Ethereal Jaunt spell, but must succeed on a DC 18 + (one per consecutive round spent on the ethereal plane) Will save each round, or return to the material plane immediately, taking damage if you are occupying a solid object.

Move Freely
You remove obstacles by channelling your Ki into your muscles, giving them the strength to break free of bonds. You use Freedom of Movement as the spell, but you are the target.

Muscle Disruption
You disturb the Ki in your target's muscles. They must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2 points of strength damage.

Nervous Control
You link the opponent's Ki to your own, gaining control over its actions. If the subject fails a Will save, it is subject to the effects of a Dominate Monster spell as long as you are in contact with it. Each round it can attempt another will save, however, each time it fails this save it takes 20 + Invoker level points of damage. You can make the subject do whatever you want, including obviously self-destructive actions.

Opposition
You balance your Ki against your foe's, using the forces of opposition to pierce their defences. Your attacks count as aligned weapons of the opposite alignment(s) to the target for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance for 2 + dexterity modifier rounds.

Poise
You channel your Ki to support yourself in otherwise impossible places. You can jump on the surface of any liquid as if it was solid ground, but you must jump every round to gain this benefit. As long as you jump every round, you are treated as having made a 20-foot run up. You can also jump up walls, jumping up the sides of walls as if they were horizontal surfaces (you still only jump your vertical jump distance). You cannot use this invocation for more than 2 + Dex modifier rounds consecutively. This invocation lasts for 1 minute per Invoker level when used with the Marital Artist's acupressure ability.

Repulsion
You create a repulsive force between your target's Ki and your own. If they fail a Will save, they are subject to the effects of the Repulsion spell, and must use their move action to move as close as possible to the edge of the radius. This effect cannot force them to enter dangerous areas, and they can move across the space as long as they end up further from you than they started.

Resilience
You channel your Ki to protect yourself against attack. You gain a bonus equal to your Dexterity modifier to your Fortitude or Will save, or a bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier to your Reflex, Fortitude or Will save. This invocation lasts for one hour, during which you cannot change the save or modifier that you selected.

Restorative Meditation
You enter a healing trance. For every 30 minutes you spend in this trance you heal hit points equal to your Invoker level. This trance does not count as rest or sleep. If you use this invocation with the Martial Artist's acupressure ability, the time taken to use the ability counts towards the length of the trance, and the ability must be used once per 30 minutes of trance.

Subtle Walk
You attune your Ki to your environment, causing you to move in sync with your surroundings. You gain +6 to Hide and Move Silently, and a +10 bonus to speed for one hour.

Temperature Upset
You disrupt your target's temperature regulation systems, causing them to heat up and cool down uncontrollably. Your target takes one point of fire or cold damage per round (flip a coin to find out which), for two rounds plus one round per five invoker levels you have, starting on the round after this invocation.

Upset Constitution
You cause sickening waves to move through your target's Ki. They must succeed on a Fortitude save, or become sickened for one minute. This does not work on targets who are already sickened, or on targets that are immune to sickening.

Wayfarer
You follow the natural path of the Ki that suffuses the universe, leading the way to your destination. This is identical to the effects of a Find the Path spell.

Both the Monk and Warlock have room for improvement, so I decided to give them a good dash of each other's abilities, and crossed my fingers. I'm planning to present this as an option to players in a summer campaign, so I want to know if it balances well with core classes. When I have time, I'll add the other Invoker options. If this goes down well, I might also make a Devout class, which uses spells from Divine, Occult, or Cosmic sources, and which can be an Acolyte who prays for Divine or Cosmic spells Contingency-style, a Zealot who can only use Divine or Occult offensive spells to attack enemies of their god, or a Witch who casts Occult or Cosmic spells as lengthy rituals. I'm also considering an Enchanter, who would combine the Wizard, Artificer, and Incarnum classes. She would get power from Occult or Scholastic sources, and could be an Artificer who creates objects with enchantments, an Egoist who enhances herself with enchantments, or an Architect who suffuses areas with enchantments.

ngilop
2013-05-26, 06:34 PM
Woo i love the trend of invocation monks!

I will say that hearts top is stupdily powerful

you do realzie that levelX10 HP means that like 90% of everything has to do the save?

id make it level X4 so at least somethings don't insta die form a spammable ability.

Xaotiq1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269680) and myself (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266100) both have our version of invocation monks take a look and in the case of mine gift seom ideas is you want ( i cannot speak for xaotic1)

TheLonelyScribe
2013-05-27, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I realised that heart stop was too powerful almost immediately after I'd posted it. I will change it.

It's interesting how these classes differ. Both of those two seem to be trying to redeem the PHB Monk, whereas mine is more about turning the warlock into a martial artist. If I change heart stop, do you think it's suitable? I'm wondering if a bit more AC is needed. However, it is less MAD than the PHB.

FlaxCollector
2013-05-27, 02:21 PM
I particularly enjoy this Monk retool. The original base class seems like its missing something, and not only does this add a good amount of extra flavor, it does so effectively. I myself attempted adding spellcasting to the Tattoo'd Monk prestige class in a homebrew, but I never thought of using Warlock-like invocations, which seems to fit perfectly with how the Monk is built. I'm definitely going to use this sort of structure for my elemental monk homebrew.

I only have a couple comments for you. First, swap Poise and Blind -- it seems a bit ridiculous for a 1st level character to be able to use water as a springboard, while being able to blind a creature for a round seems more equivalent to a cantrip.

Second, maybe move the acupressure ability to a lower level and add a cap on the level of invocation you grant to another player, such as if you can cast Greater Invocations, the highest you can grant to another player through acupressure is a Lesser Invocation. I say that because how it's set up now, the Invoker could grant a Greatest Invocation, like Mistwalker, to another player, and it seems like the highest level invocations should be exclusive to the Invoker. Besides that, acupressure doesn't seem like its all that essential to the class itself, but it could have a good deal of utility for a mid-level party.

TheLonelyScribe
2013-05-27, 02:50 PM
I based Blind on a Warlock Eldritch Blast invocation, which was lesser, and I put Poise as least because Air Leap is Lesser, and based on a Warlock invocation which allows Good 60ft Flight. I could decrease the level of blind, if you think it's weak for the Warlock, and put a limit on the number of consecutive rounds you can use Poise.

I agree with your point about Acupressure, but then I need something to fill up 19th level... What kind of ability is nothing very powerful but nice to have even at high levels?

FlaxCollector
2013-05-27, 03:43 PM
I could decrease the level of blind, if you think it's weak for the Warlock, and put a limit on the number of consecutive rounds you can use Poise.

I agree with your point about Acupressure, but then I need something to fill up 19th level... What kind of ability is nothing very powerful but nice to have even at high levels?

I rechecked the Blind condition mod on the srd, and seeing how that operates, it seems fitting that it's a lesser invocation. I figured Poise was sort of a lead-up into Air Leap, but I do think a round cap would balance it well.

For Acupressure, maybe you can have the second tier of Acupressure at 19th level allow the Invoker to use Greater invocations.

TheLonelyScribe
2013-05-27, 03:59 PM
There, I think it's ready to go! I'm now going to retreat to my study-hole for exam season, but after that's over, I'll try adding the expansions mentioned in the original post.