PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a class for Pathfinder

(Un)Inspired
2013-05-26, 04:17 PM
So I'm going to be playing in a short game with a few friends starting at level 2. Its unlikely that well get past level 3 and I'm trying to figure out which class I should play.

So far we have:

Ifrit Sorcerer
Gilman Oracle
Dwarf 2handed Ranger

All pathfinder and 3.5 material is available for use

The party has asked me to play someone who can stand up in melee.

I tend to do most of the DMing for my group so I don't get to play that often and I can't settle on any one idea of what I want to play.

At various points I've thought about playing a swordsage a psychic warrior or a binder for this quick campaign.

What're your experiences playing at this low level?
What classes did you have fun playing in melee at level 2?
What do you think is a good fit for my group?

Invader
2013-05-26, 04:23 PM
So I'm going to be playing in a short game with a few friends starting at level 2. Its unlikely that well get past level 3 and I'm trying to figure out which class I should play.

So far we have:

Ifrit Sorcerer
Gilman Oracle
Dwarf 2handed Ranger

All pathfinder and 3.5 material is available for use

The party has asked me to play someone who can stand up in melee.

I tend to do most of the DMing for my group so I don't get to play that often and I can't settle on any one idea of what I want to play.

At various points I've thought about playing a swordsage a psychic warrior or a binder for this quick campaign.

What're your experiences playing at this low level?
What classes did you have fun playing in melee at level 2?
What do you think is a good fit for my group?

I've never played PF but I always liked the idea of the summoner and wanted to try it out.

QuidEst
2013-05-26, 04:26 PM
Sorc won't stand up in melee, and doesn't get its second spell level until level 4. Ratfolk Wizard would probably work better.

Oracles hold up well in battle, but again- if you're not getting past level 3, go with a prepared caster.

Not all that fond of Ranger, but that's just personally.

The most fun you can have in melee (personal opinion) is playing a Synthesist Summoner. You get to design your own melee thing! I'd go with quadruped form for pounce. Play Half-Elf with a boost to Charisma. You are immune to magical sleep, the easiest way to take out a Synthesist.

PlusSixPelican
2013-05-26, 04:59 PM
The most fun you can have in melee (personal opinion) is playing a Synthesist Summoner. You get to design your own melee thing! I'd go with quadruped form for pounce. Play Half-Elf with a boost to Charisma. You are immune to magical sleep, the easiest way to take out a Synthesist.

On top of that, you'll have a bigger evolution pool! OuO

I'd go with a bipedal form for the confusion of it (which one's the real one! *le gasp*), or a serpentine mofo for the fun of it.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-26, 05:46 PM
I'd suggest considering:

- Wild-Caller Summoner or Synthesist Summoner; Half-Elf either way
- Ranger that 2-hands a heavy spiked shield with Imp. Shield Bash and Shield Slam feats (from weapon and shield style, 4 levels early). Maybe go Freebooter, it's just plain better than core ranger at low levels, also consider trapper.
- Dervish of Dawn Bard; Use dex for attack and damage and self-only +2 inspire courage. Add Blade of Mercy trait + Enforcer feat to intimidate on every hit.
- Melee Inquisitor; pick a deity like Gorum for a nice 2H weapon proficiency.
- Paladin; Kinda boring, but has incredible saves, good AC, 1/day smite, and can swift action self-heal to stay alive quite well.
- Vivisectionist Alchemist, using mutagen to buff strength. Possibly with feral mutagen, or 2-handing a weapon otherwise.
- Since 3E seems to be allowed, Warblade and Crusader would be good choices; Swordsage would NOT (can't tank so well, and the tumble nerf badly hurts him). Binder is interesting... with Improved Binding can you have Paimon by 2nd level?

Azernak0
2013-05-26, 06:10 PM
Synthesist Summoner is pretty much the toughest guy around. You will pretty much have twice the HP of everyone else in the party and can Heal yourself. When you don't want to be in melee anymore, fall back and throw out a bunch of Summons.