PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshifter

Ruethgar
2013-05-26, 04:19 PM
I am making a shapeshifting rejuvenating druid and I was thinking of removing the spellcasting, in a manner of speaking, by only using reserve feats and the Reserve Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147086) as his only magic, never entering humanoid form again. As such I don't need wisdom, charisma or intellect(since reserve feats only require available not castable spells).

Anyone have a suggested race that would give a bonus to the physical stats? Strength and constitution would be most important of course, but I don't want a deduction to dexterity. Currently looking at Mongrelfolk and Neanderthal but wondering if there are more, LA +0.

Edit: Can Neanderthals take the Human Paragon class?

Ranting Fool
2013-05-26, 04:54 PM
I was under the impression that when you shapeshift you use the Str, Con, Dex of what ever creature you shift into. So base race is useless for that.

Ruethgar
2013-05-26, 05:18 PM
Druid shapeshifting has never given you the stats of what you change into, wildshaping does. Shapeshift only gives bonuses making the base race matter.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-26, 05:47 PM
Well, Goliath would not be a bad choice. Water Orc is the gold standard....

I would also consider a dip into warshaper for fast healing, extra natural attacks, and +4 strength and con. You are already looking at cutting out most of the high level forms by cutting druid levels, so lets look at boosting the earlier forms to the point of awesomeness.

Actualy, a Goliath mountain rage pounce barbarian 1 / druid 10 / Warshaper 4 / Reserve Mage 5

Move classes around as you see fit. Reserve mage can be moved significantly forward. A build like..

Druid 1 / Barbarian 1 / Druid 2 / Reserve mage 5 / Warshaper 4 / Druid 7 would probably be best. That tasty double reserve feat use per swift action is hard to pass up early game.

Reserve mage replaces the spell levels needed for reserve feats, so you can just kill your spellcaster level and spells beyond 2nd level. They are just icing on the cake.

You get fuzzy, get large and bash stuff. I would go for a knock back build shock trooper. Pick up extra rage at 1st level, and buy off the LA.

Ruethgar
2013-05-26, 07:53 PM
Thanks, definitely will consider being a large fury rage beast. Defiantly going warshaper 4, thanks for that.

Edit: Just noticed something about shapeshifting druids.

You can shapeshift at will into powerful animal
or nature-oriented forms.
You are not required to be an animal, just nature oriented and medium for the first one, like say and elemental Weird from MMII. Take Assume Supernatural Ability and you have a slew of nice spells at will.