PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Combatant (I guess it's kind of a monk fix/change)

XionUnborn01
2013-05-26, 05:31 PM
So, I had an idea for an unarmed fighter that was obviously better at it's job than the monk currently is. I've had an inspiration of how I want the class's offense to work but I can't figure out if this idea is worth pursuing or if it's already been done in a good way. This is the idea that I had;

(It would probably help if you know that they have full BAB and I'll be referring to them as the monk until I think of an actual name)

Repeating Attack: A monk may choose to sacrifice some accuracy for a chance to strike more rapidly. They can elect to take any amount of penalty to their attacks that round, up to their BAB, and gain an extra attack at their highest BAB for each -1 on attacks they take.

So far that's what I want their 'flurry' to look like, though I'm not sure if that's going to be way too many attacks at higher levels, that's part of the feedback I'm requesting.
Now for the actual features, I had though of making a list sort of like the strikes from TOB, but they would trigger on attacks that land, for example;

Nerve Punch: On the third attack you hit with this round, the subject of that attack must make a fort save or have their speed reduced by half for their next round.

Throat Punch: On the second attack you hit with this round, the subject of that attack much make a reflex save or be unable to speak for their next round

Stomach Punch: On the second attack you hit with this round, the subject of the attack must make a fort save or become sickened for their next round

Eye gouge: On the third attack you hit with the round, the subject of the attack must make a reflex save or be blinded for their next round.

The idea being that you could use as many techniques in a round as you wanted, but not more than one for each number of hits. So you could use a technique that triggered on the second, third, and fifth hit but not two techniques that triggered on the second. that being said, you could use a technique that normally triggers on the second attack to trigger on the third or later as long as you don't have a technique already used on that attack.

I was going to put in that you couldn't use the same techniques two rounds in a row.

What would you guys think of a mechanic like that?

ngilop
2013-05-26, 05:54 PM
I made something along these lines a long time ago.. plan on getting back and working on it again

here is my Grappler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247200)

fell free to glean any ideas from it as you want.

I like the idea of an unamred fighter than isn;t all based upon eastern martial arts myself so I look forward to what your idea could actually become.