PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum master, the Melee Sevenfold Veil

NeverAsPlanned
2013-05-26, 05:45 PM
so i was looking at the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, and thought "that might be a fun class to try and make a melee version of it" so i did!

I call it the spectrum Master. I haven't done a ton of fluff or anything yet cause I want to make it functioning and check for Balancing first, plus players have this tendency to blindly follow the fluff if you include it...

Spectrum Master

Entry Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 13 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks
Weapon Focus (Ray)
ability to cast a first level spell or Spell like ability(or higher of course)

Spectrum Master
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Spectrum Shield, Red Spectrum

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Spectrum Burst, Orange Spectrum

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Yellow Spectrum

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Shield Aura, Green Spectrum

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Quick Burst, Blue Spectrum

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2| Indigo Spectrum, Kaleidoscope Doom

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2| Violet Spectrum, Monochrome finale

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Climb, Craft, Jump, Knowledge (any), Listen, Handle Animal, Ride, Survival, Tumble, Use Magic Divice
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Spectrum Shield:
The Spectrum Master pulls a color from the environment, no matter how little or in what mix or concentration, and uses it as a defensive aura to deflect certain attacks. This takes one standard action to create and prepare. At lv 4, (when you get Shield Aura) this no longer provokes an attack of opportunity. The secondary effects of the shield occur when you end your turn, and only target one person (in base contact, includes corners) of your choice. You gain access to colors at the levels defined on the table. The number of shields you can have on yourself is equal to your SM class level divided by 3 rounded up. This is useable 3 times per day Plus your Cha Mod.

Spectrum Burst:
The Spectrum Master can pull the color from the environment in a similar way to Spectrum Shield, but instead of making an aura, you can turn it into a Touch attack Ray (30ft range) or imbue it into your weapon for the next attack you make. This takes a standard action and provokes an attack of opportunity (until you get Quick Burst). You gain access to colors at the levels defined on the table. A weapon cannot hold more then one burst. This is useable 3 times per day Plus your Cha Mod. Bursts on weapons last for 1 rounds per class level before the charge is lost.

Shield Aura:
The Spectrum Master is no longer limited to placing a shield on himself, he can apply it to anyone in 20ft of himself. Also he no longer provokes an attack of opportunity by making a shield.

Quick Burst:
The Spectrum master no longer provokes an attack of opportunity when making a Burst. If the burst is being imbued into a weapon, you can perform it as a swift action.

Kaleidoscope Doom:
Once per day as a standard action, a spectrum master designates one creature within 30 feet and turns magical effects currently affecting the creature against it. This effect works like a targeted greater dispel magic, except that for every spell or effect negated on the target, the effect of one Spectrum Burst is applied to the target. The spectrums Bursts proceed through the spectrum from red to violet, with one spectrum activated per spell negated. so a creature with three spells negated would be subject to the effects of the red, orange, and yellow Burst Spectrums. The subject is still gets to do saving throws allowed by each Spectrum. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

Monochrome Finale:
Once per day, as a swift action, you can drain all colors from the environment leaving the entire field in shades of grey, you are considered to have all shields for 3 turns, and your weapon is imbued with all 7 Bursts, only one burst can be used each attack for this effect.

The Spectrums:

Red Spectrum: (all effects are considered lv 4 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: for 1d4 turns plus your class level, you’re immune to non-magical projectiles and deal 1d6+SM lv. fire damage to an adjacent target each turn. Negated with Cold Damage
Burst: you can create a charge of Red Spectrum, then either shoot it for 1d6 fire damage per class lv (reflex for half), Or imputed into a weapon to deal +1d4 per class lv fire damage. Can be counter spelled with Cone of frost.

Orange Spectrum: (all effects are considered lv 5 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: for 1d4 turns plus your class level, you’re immune to ranged magical attacks and deal 1d6+ SM lv acid damage to an adjacent target each turn. Can be countered or negated with the spell “Gust of wind” or something similar.
Burst: you can create a charge of Orange Spectrum, then either shoot it for 1d6 acid damage per class lv (reflex for half), Or imputed into a weapon to deal +1d4 per class lv acid damage. Can be counter spelled with Gust of Wind spell.

Yellow Spectrum: (all effects are considered lv 6 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: for 1d4 turns plus your class level, you’re immune to gases ,clouds, and petrification and deal 1d6+SM lv. electricity damage to an adjacent target each turn. This can be negated and dispelled with a disintegrate spell.
Burst: you can create a charge of Yellow Spectrum, then either shoot it for 1d6 electricity damage per class lv (reflex for half), Or imputed into a weapon to deal +1d4 per class lv of electricity damage. Can be counter spelled with a Disintigrate spell.

Green Spectrum: (all effects are considered lv 6 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: for 1d4 turns plus your class level, you’re immune to Breath Weapons, you may also force any one target adjacent to you to take a fortitude save or take 1D6 poison based Constitution damage. This effect can be negated and dispelled with a successful casting of Passwall on it.
Burst: you can create a charge of Green Spectrum, then you can either shoot it as a ray touch attack which causes the target to make a Fortitude save or die; on a successful save, the creature takes 1d6 points of Constitution damage still, or you can imbue it into a weapon that causes the same effect. Can be counter spelled with a casting of Passwall.

Blue Spectrum: (all effects are considered lv 6 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: for 1d4 turns plus your class level, you’re immune to all divinations and Mind-affecting spells and abilities, you may also force any one target adjacent to you to take 1d4 non-lethal damage per class lv. This effect can be negated and dispelled with a successful casting of magic missile on it. (They cancel each-other out)
Burst: you can create a charge of Blue Spectrum, and then you can shoot it as a ray touch attack which causes the target to make a fortitude save or be petrified. Or it can be imbued into a weapon to deal 1d6 nonlethal damage per class level. A casting of magic missile counter-spells this effect. (They cancel each-other out)

Indigo Spectrum: (all effects are considered lv 8 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: for 1d4 turns plus half your class level, you’re immune to all spells and Spell-like abilities, you may also force any one target adjacent to you to become Confused for 2 rounds. This effect can be negated and dispelled with a successful casting Daylight on it (the shield, not the confusion). (They cancel each-other out)
Burst: you can create a charge of indigo spectrum, which you can either shoot as a ranged ray touch attack that causes confusion if it hits, or you can imbue it into your weapon, which causes the opponent to make a will save or become confused for a number of rounds equal to half your class level. This can be counterspelled with a casting of daylight. (They Cancel each-other out)

Violet Spectrum: (Violet Spectrum may only be used as a shield or burst twice per day, once each) (all effects are considered lv 8 spells for determining counterspell)
Shield: : for 1d4 turns plus half your class level, you’re immune to all things that try to cross it, you may also force any one target or object adjacent to you to take a will save or be moved 20 ft in any direction. This effect can be negated and dispelled with a successful casting of “Dispel Magic” on it. (They cancel each-other out)
Burst: you can create a charge of Violet Spectrum, which you can shoot as a ray touch attack that makes the opponent make a will save or be forcefully teleported into a Plane of your choice(location is random). Or you can imbued it into a weapon, which makes that weapon’s next attack have the effect of the Disintigrate Spell (caster lv 10)

Corripio
2013-05-26, 08:19 PM
For the record; I plan to have this playtested in a campaign I'm setting up, of course others are welcome to try I'm just stating its happening.

Redi
2013-05-27, 12:06 PM
I like this :smallwink:

Your class give a straight save or die at level 4 and immunity to magic at 6, so it shouldn't be available at level 5, I'd say level 7 or 8.

For requirement, i thought about this :

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skill: Knowledge (arcana) 8 Spellcraft 11
Feats: Weapon focus (ray)
Spells or Spell-Like Abilities: Caster level 1th.

NeverAsPlanned
2013-05-27, 01:47 PM
that seems reasonable, thanks for the input.

yea for the magic thing I was trying to keep to what the original veils did to some degree, indigo blocked spells and spell like abilities so... yea... think itd be better if it was shorter than the rest?

Redi
2013-05-27, 07:41 PM
Half duration would be fine i think, and the same for the next one
Or blocking 8th and 9th level spells require a check to keep the shield up after the effect is negated, something like 1d20+charisma+class level against the effect CL

Thought about this for a 3rd level ability

Prismatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prismaticWall.htm) spectrum:
The Spectrum master learns how to put subtle tones in their spectrum, allowing them to be replaced by the previous spectrum in acquirement order when negated. However, doing so take an immediate action, and the new shield has a duration of half the remaining duration (rounded up)

Also, does a ring of counterspell block spells used to break your shields ?

NeverAsPlanned
2013-05-28, 12:09 AM
well... can you counter a counterspell? thats never come up...
I think it would if you think about it, I don't see why it Wouldn't.

but if you think about it I don't think the ability would work because it says in the part that explains how you create the bursts and shields that you're only pulling one color, if it changed colors when you dispelled it then the new color would just be generated out of nowhere.

I am noticing the tiny hole at lv 3 though now that you bring it up...

Nightraiderx
2013-05-28, 07:23 AM
I feel the blue veil you have is a bit weak to be using nonlethal damage, you might as well use cold damage in place. Other than that, it's interesting, although I don't understand what the "burst" range and effect the other veils have you might want to clear up the wording on that.

NeverAsPlanned
2013-05-28, 11:45 AM
yea I did think blue Spectrum was a little weak, but it DOES scale with class lvs so when you first get access to it, it's doing 5d4/5d6 nonlethal damage. it seemed reasonable at the time... it blue veil causes petrification and I didn't know of anything that scales down from that. for all of them I've been putting a weak version for the shield part, a better version for the weapon hit, and the original effect of crossing the veil(mostly) for the ray. i couldn't think of lesser versions of petrifications except for subdual.

also I fixed the range thing, good catch, totally forgot to add a max range... don't want people shooting the moon :smallbiggrin: