PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Tabletops

questionmark693
2013-05-26, 10:44 PM
I'd like to try them out, what do you guys think about them? Any specific ones stand out as good? I unfortunately have a rather limited budget, so I can't afford any of the flashy two hundred dollar ones that I really want :smalltongue:

AuraTwilight
2013-05-26, 11:01 PM
Roll20.net is pretty much the best out there besides maybe Maptools, and both are free.

ArcturusV
2013-05-26, 11:06 PM
Used MapTools for a 4th edition game. Worked fairly well. Though it requires a bit more DM Railroading then I'd like as it takes (Or rather took me) far too long to build a map from scratch if my team suddenly goes off the tracks.

Koreapsu
2013-05-27, 06:31 AM
I find Fantasy Grounds particularly good for 3.5/pf.

Not as flashy as Roll20 and requires a bit more work but I enjoy the mechanics. It's worth a look.

Dairuga
2013-05-27, 05:05 PM
My favourite has been for a long time, and still is, Osu Gametable (OSU_Gt). It is not online, but rather computer-based, which means that all the participants of the game have to install it and join your game trough a LAN connection (easily done if you are already using Hamachi or such).

Osu Gamtable is entirely free, and can be gotten easily enough with a simple google search.

It contains Dice Macros, drawing tools, a grid map with a few options, quite a few decent pogs, and so on and so forth. It has everything you need, really, for a functioning game. It also has a separate layer for the DM to hide objects on until he chooses to reveal it to the rest of the players.

Of course, Roll20 is a modern, slightly more fancy version, but I never quite took to it. While Roll20 does have Browser-based capabilities, it has caused quite a lot of problems due to connectivity issues and suchlike in the past, for me at least.