PDA

View Full Version : good build for barbarian base

buttcyst
2013-05-26, 11:47 PM
Hello, I newly registered to post on this forum after referring to it for a good amount of questions I've had. I DM one game and am a player in another, I have a few questions about DM stuff but for a different thread or possibly an already existing one.

My character in the game I am playing is a lvl 5 human barbarian, he was built under house rules so he has pretty decent ability scores, includng a 20 strength, and 1 extra feat, I've taken great fortitude, iron will, and lightning reflexes, as well as combat reflexes. I used my lvl 4 ability increase to bring my intelligence from a 9 to a 10 (easiest way to keep the evil cleric-soon to be necromancer from killing me). next level I am prestiging as a forsaker, found in masters of the wild, possibly 3.0, but dm is allowing it, and my 6th level feat is going to be sacred vow from the book of exaulted deeds followed by vow of poverty at lvl 9. I've done my math, and with all of the ability score increases, I will have a 34 strength and dex/con scores in the upper 20's by level 19. level 16-20 I am taking as a fighter so that I can make up for all of the missed feats that will allow me to prestige again into legendary dreadnaught, found in the epic level handbook.

it's a little rocky right now, but I'm only level 5... and a barbarian

forgot to mention all of the boosts to AC, DR of several varieties to choose from, and SR

A_S
2013-05-27, 12:06 AM
1. Vow of Poverty is not a good feat...you can get everything it grants by spending the money you forsake by selecting it, and doing so is more interesting (plus, who ever heard of a Barbarian with no magic sword?). By all means, take this feat if "having no possessions as a means of ascetic holiness" is central to your character concept, but don't (DON'T) take it for the numbers gains. It's terrible.

2. If you're willing to go Exalted, which I guess you are, Champion of Gharblarghl or whatever it is, from BoED, is an excellent PrC for a Barbarian.

3. Dipping Warblade or Crusader (from Tome of Battle) is never a bad idea for a martial character, and it's as true for Barbarians as for anybody else.

4. Two levels of Fighter is a good dip. More is questionable.

5. Combat Reflexes is a good feat, but those save booster ones are terrible. Can you repick, maybe? Grab something cool like Intimidating Rage or Power Attack or Improved Trip that lets you do something extra, not some crap that adds a small number to the occasional dice roll.

*edit* Oh yeah, 6. What sources do you have available to you?

Also, 7. Obligatory handbook link (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867934/Consolidated_Barbarian_Handbook).

buttcyst
2013-05-27, 12:54 AM
I have quite a few resources available. The reason for the save boosters is prerequisites for the forsaker prestige class. and with the vows, they fit my characters personality, his dislike for wealth and magic, also his internal search for spirituality. hints at another question I have, a good aligned deity that would condone the destruction of magic. I spent a lot of time looking over PrC's and forsaker was the best fit for the type of barbarian I saw (see) him as. although I did consider that barbaladin class, champion of gwynhardwyf, pretty neat if you ask me and I will likely persue it with a future character.

buttcyst
2013-05-28, 09:11 PM
I checked out ToB, remembered why I didn't go that route. I see it as a form of matial study that mimics spell casting too much for my barbarian that deeply hates magic, and not really smart enough to claim knowledge of a style of fighting beyond "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"