PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dagger Rogues

Wise Green Bean
2013-05-27, 01:09 AM
I'm looking into building a pretty standard Two Weapon Fighting rogue specializing in daggers. Why did I choose daggers, as opposed to one of the higher damage die or higher crit choices? Because of the ranged option. I plan to keep a good 10-20 daggers on me at all times. It's not going to be the primary method of attack, just something to be used when my health is low or the enemy is flying/dangerous or difficult to approach. However, I'm not exactly sure about the rules implications for throwing multiple daggers.

Can you full attack with thrown weapons? I know that if the rules allow it at all, it would need quick draw to be able to throw more than the one in each hand.

Speaking of hands, how does two weapon fighting interact with thrown weapons? It's a melee weapon, but used in a ranged capacity. Does that mean the extra attacks from the two weapon fighting line apply? If not, does rapid shot apply?

Also, does throwing a dagger provoke an attack of opportunity as a ranged attack would?

Thanks!

tyckspoon
2013-05-27, 01:59 AM
There's nothing terribly special about thrown weapons; most feats and rules work with them about the same way they do with melee fighting/bows as relevant (IE, you can full attack, but as you noted you need Quick Draw to do so since you throw away the weapon. Shuriken are treated as ammunition so can be drawn as a free action without Quick Draw, which is the primary reason to even think about using Shuriken.) You can Two Weapon Fight with them, using the same penalty chart as melee weapons. You can *also* combine Rapid Shot with that, since you are making ranged attacks, but that's a pretty good way to get a Flurry of Misses (net -4 penalty on your attacks, so you need a really good attack bonus or severely penalized enemy AC to score your hits.) And you do suffer AoO for trying to throw in melee, because the provoking action is 'Make a Ranged attack', which does not differentiate thrown and mechanically-propelled weapons.

Chookster
2013-05-27, 03:01 AM
In short, that is why jarlaxle lives.