PDA

View Full Version : Dark ages style campaign

blelliot
2013-05-27, 01:32 AM
Would anyone have an idea on what base classes would fit in a dark ages game? So far I've decided on barbarian, cleric, druid, fighter, knight, rogue, scout, and a mage class of my own design. This will be a low magic setting, so I'm using the prestige variant for bard, paladin, and ranger in order to limit the classes that have access to magic. So I'm looking for one more martial class to use. Also, the mages of this world will be highly regimented. I'm looking to find a class that acts as a rogue magic user. Any ideas?

Yora
2013-05-27, 01:35 AM
Maybe Binders from Tome of Magic?

They allow themselves to be possessed by what's left of the souls of powerful individuals who could never truly die, getting access to their spell-like abilities that way.
Here (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718) is a bit more info.

Rhynn
2013-05-27, 01:39 AM
cleric, druid [...] a mage class of my own design. [...] a low magic setting [...] prestige variant for bard, paladin, and ranger in order to limit the classes that have access to magic.

I spot a problem! You're limiting everyone else's magic but leaving two hugely powerful primary caster classes untouched?

Also, prestige paladins, bards, and rangers are better spellcasters than the base types. A prestige paladin is a cleric with some special abilities, maybe with 2 fighter levels. Far better as a spellcaster than a default paladin.

If you want to take out the spellcasting, there are non-spellcasting variants of paladins and rangers in Complete Warrior.

blelliot
2013-05-27, 02:20 AM
I spot a problem! You're limiting everyone else's magic but leaving two hugely powerful primary caster classes untouched?

Also, prestige paladins, bards, and rangers are better spellcasters than the base types. A prestige paladin is a cleric with some special abilities, maybe with 2 fighter levels. Far better as a spellcaster than a default paladin.

If you want to take out the spellcasting, there are non-spellcasting variants of paladins and rangers in Complete Warrior.
Well the idea was not to take out magic, just limit the base classes with magic.
I have an idea to control the divine magic, mainly all the spellcasitng classes having a sort ofa permit for certain spells, especially instant death spells and transportation spells..
Would there be any ideas out there on this?

blelliot
2013-05-27, 02:25 AM
Maybe Binders from Tome of Magic?

They allow themselves to be possessed by what's left of the souls of powerful individuals who could never truly die, getting access to their spell-like abilities that way.
Here (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718) is a bit more info.

Not a bad idea. I was actually looking at that idea last night. That would fit in with the idea I'm working toward.

ArcturusV
2013-05-27, 02:55 AM
I'd probably nix the Cleric and Druid from that list. They'd become insanely more powerful in a Low Magic setting.

I'd gear the Cleric down into... Shugenja. Maybe Shaman (Not spirit, just Shaman). Still gets you divine casting, they can fit into the Mystical Priest niche pretty easily.

Depending on your setting particulars your "Rogue Magic User" might be something like a Maho-Tsukai, Diabolist, or Demonologist. You could probably cut out some of the Pre-Requisites and turn it into a base class. It'd be pretty easy in the case of the Maho-Tsukai to run it like that.

CRtwenty
2013-05-27, 02:57 AM
I'd probably nix the Cleric and Druid from that list. They'd become insanely more powerful in a Low Magic setting.

I'd gear the Cleric down into... Shugenja. Maybe Shaman (Not spirit, just Shaman). Still gets you divine casting, they can fit into the Mystical Priest niche pretty easily.

Depending on your setting particulars your "Rogue Magic User" might be something like a Maho-Tsukai, Diabolist, or Demonologist. You could probably cut out some of the Pre-Requisites and turn it into a base class. It'd be pretty easy in the case of the Maho-Tsukai to run it like that.

Doesn't the Maho-Tsukai require you to use Taint rules though?

ArcturusV
2013-05-27, 03:02 AM
That it does, since their casting stat is their Taint Score + 10.

But I also figure it fits a "Dark Ages" feel as well. A time where superstition is a more powerful force than science. So forming up dark pacts for magic rather than Magic=Science like standard casting would be right at home.

blelliot
2013-05-27, 03:26 AM
mayhaps the maho, but a name change would be in order. Any ideas on the marshal class anyone?
The reason for a name change is I wish to avoid a far
east flavor until later in the world.
The marshal I think may be a good idea for another option for a martial class, maybee increasing the BAB and the HD