PDA

View Full Version : Finding posts

CowardlyPaladin
2013-05-27, 01:49 AM
I was a lurker here for a long time before i started posting and one of the reasons is that I could try to find other posts by people on the site. This was really useful because if they had every said something insightful and I forgot to bookmark it I could find it again, it also allowed me to find the homebrew for people who didn't have sigs, not to mention seeing if people who I thought were insightful might have started interesting threads. However it seems I can't do that anymore, might I know the reason why? I personally don't have a problem if anybody goes through my information, as long as they can't see my PM or personal info I don't see the problem. Thank you very much

Savannah
2013-05-27, 01:54 AM
The 'find more posts by' function requires the search function. Unfortunately, searching has been turned off for the moment due to server-related issues.

At the moment, your best option is to google "[name of poster] site:www.giantitp.com", which is pretty good if the person has a relatively unique username.

CowardlyPaladin
2013-05-27, 02:05 AM
The 'find more posts by' function requires the search function. Unfortunately, searching has been turned off for the moment due to server-related issues.

At the moment, your best option is to google "[name of poster] site:www.giantitp.com", which is pretty good if the person has a relatively unique username.

Oh. So the find posts thing on people's names is also not working then?

TuggyNE
2013-05-27, 03:14 AM
Oh. So the find posts thing on people's names is also not working then?

Yeah, it all requires the search index, which is turned off as noted.

Killer Angel
2013-05-27, 06:04 AM
Yep, it was disabled for performance reasons.
BTW, not even the mods and administrators like to have it off, but for the moment we must live with it.

CowardlyPaladin
2013-05-27, 11:52 AM
ohhhh ok, I thought it was some sort of privacy thing. Ok, my mistake. I hope the issue gets solved. Sorry to mods if I seemed disrespectful.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-05-27, 11:59 AM
ohhhh ok, I thought it was some sort of privacy thing. Ok, my mistake. I hope the issue gets solved. Sorry to mods if I seemed disrespectful.

Unfortunately, the issue seems to be that "restoring searching would require several days of downtime which is a thing nobody wants," at least partially, which means it will probably be some time before search functions are restored.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-27, 03:17 PM
Sheriff: Indeed.