PDA

View Full Version : Allowing spontaneous casters to swap out spells known

Eslin
2013-05-27, 03:29 AM
How would it affect game balance if spontaneous casters with a limited spell like (like the sorcerer and duskblade) were allowed to switch one spell of each level known for an equal level spell every time they regained spells per day?

If they were able to swap out all spells known?

If they were allowed to swap out one spell of each level, but it had to be the same spell? (for example a bard knows alter self, summon monster II and cure moderate wounds, he could swap alter self with other spells but SMII and CMW would be fixed)

If swapping a spell took eight hour's meditation per spell swapped?

Talking in terms of inter party balance, how fun a character is to play, how difficult it is for the DM, etc.

Sylthia
2013-05-27, 03:43 AM
I'd discourage it. Without limited spell selection, sorcerers could creep up past wizards on the totem pole.

Juntao112
2013-05-27, 03:46 AM
Spirit Shamans can do that with the Druid spell list, and they're tier 2. Of course, they also lack Wildshape and an Animal Companion...

BWR
2013-05-27, 03:53 AM
I'd discourage it. Without limited spell selection, sorcerers could creep up past wizards on the totem pole.

I'm not sure that this would put them past wizards, but it would probably put them solidly in Tier 1. If you want to really cheese out spontaneous casters, you can introduce this (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/wondrousItems/slotless.html#_page-of-spell-knowledge)item.

DMVerdandi
2013-05-27, 03:55 AM
How would it affect game balance if spontaneous casters with a limited spell like (like the sorcerer and duskblade) were allowed to switch one spell of each level known for an equal level spell every time they regained spells per day?

If they were able to swap out all spells known?

If they were allowed to swap out one spell of each level, but it had to be the same spell? (for example a bard knows alter self, summon monster II and cure moderate wounds, he could swap alter self with other spells but SMII and CMW would be fixed)

If swapping a spell took eight hour's meditation per spell swapped?

Talking in terms of inter party balance, how fun a character is to play, how difficult it is for the DM, etc.

Honestly, I would in my ideal setting get rid of Sorc/Wiz altogether and replace it with Magician.

They use Int AND Cha to use magic, as it is an art and science.
They spend experience to learn spells and have a limited number of spells prepared from memory each day.

Spell slots are used on any spell prepared, and can be used multiple times on any spell prepared.

Spells prepared at full level would be 4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4, and spell slots would be 9/5/5/5/5/4/4/4/

Once spells are learned they are permanently added to the caster's memory and cannot be erased, as it is a magical ritual embedding that knowledge into their minds.

The talent can come from hard work, or can be natural talent depending on if the class is favored by the race.

Gildedragon
2013-05-27, 03:58 AM
Consider that the one "spontaneous" caster that gets to swap out spells on a whim, the Sha'ir gets sorcerer spell progression and wizard spells per day and those fellas are tier 1. Low versatility and slow progression are the cost of spontaneous casting. The cost of high versatility is few spells and preparation.

Eslin
2013-05-27, 04:31 AM
And the rest? How would it affect the knight of the weave, duskblade or trapsmith?