PDA

View Full Version : Good low-level utility Cleric spells?

Qwertystop
2013-05-27, 03:09 PM
Anyone know any? Levels 0 to 2. Domains can be changed because the character's not finalized yet, but right now I have Luck and Protection. Core, SpC, and Completes.

ArcturusV
2013-05-27, 03:23 PM
Kind of depends. I really like some simple spells like:

Find Traps
Augury
Create Water
Bless Water

and get some regular use of them as a Cleric. All of which are core spells. Augury just saves a lot of headaches as final check. Players tend to get insane when they come up with "Perfectly Logical Plans for Success and being able to cast a spell and go "Oh, wait, I got Woe. Not a good plan." helps a lot. Find Traps, always useful for when your DM starts to go overboard and you find yourself dealing with the usual "Go down this corridor with 20 traps in it". Create Water is like any creation spell, there's usually a place where it will be useful and it's not just "because I'm dehydrated". At the very least it'll help you go pop off some Bless Water right when you need it. Which I often do. Lots of various Undead and Demons/Devils I run into in campaigns as hell... Holy Water isn't bad as an option against them. Kinda nice to have grenade weapons that have a zero percent chance of causing friendly fire casualties.

Oh, and Comprehend Languages. Can't forget that one. Again, sounds silly, but when you need it, you need it. And in almost any adventure there's going to be a point where you need it. Either burn a spell slot or burn skill points. And clerics just don't have that many skill points.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-27, 03:26 PM
Anyone know any? Levels 0 to 2. Domains can be changed because the character's not finalized yet, but right now I have Luck and Protection. Core, SpC, and Completes.
Divine Insight is pretty sweet. 5+CL (with a cap) insight bonus to any one skill check in the duration.

PlusSixPelican
2013-05-27, 09:10 PM
Create Water. It's the best thing EVER.

Also, Lesser Vigor>Cure Light Wounds. Guaranteed 10 points and THEN up to 5 more, so it consistently outperforms CLW at every level.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-27, 09:44 PM
Create Water. It's the best thing EVER.

Also, Lesser Vigor>Cure Light Wounds. Guaranteed 10 points and THEN up to 5 more, so it consistently outperforms CLW at every level.
If you're using it when you are not operating under time constraints, this is true.

Darrin
2013-05-28, 06:57 AM
Divine Insight is pretty sweet. 5+CL (with a cap) insight bonus to any one skill check in the duration.

Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) is even better: +20 competence bonus to any skill check.

1st:

Conjure Ice Beast (Frostburn). Gives you access to the summon monster list, and some interesting special attacks: frigid touch, ice breath, cold aura, and engulf (more on this one later). Cold aura is particularly nifty: free action every round, 1d6 cold damage in a 10' burst, *no save*. Summon a bunch of beasts at once to do Xd6 damage to a small area with no save. Check with your DM if the phrase, "In all other ways, conjure ice beast I functions like summon monster I" allows you to use Augment Summoning, Golden Desert Honey, or Ring of the Beast with your ice beasts.

Ice Slick (Frostburn). Grease for healbots, but with four times the area of effect.

Protective Interposition (Forge of War). Swift action, similar to benign transposition, but you and your target get +2 AC and +2 attack for one round as well.

Ray of Resurgence (Lost Empires of Faerun). Removes fatigue and restores Str damage.

Wieldskill (Magic of Faerun). Grants +10 competence bonus to a skill, or half a rank to an untrained skill. It's not clear if this applies to a single skill check, or for the entire duration (1 min/CL). Can also be used to grant proficiency with a single weapon or armor, similar to master's touch from the Spell Compendium, but takes a standard action to cast.

2nd:

Alicorn Lance (Silver Marches Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020719a)). Ranged touch attack, 3d6 force damage, and target is outlined with a faerie fire effect.

Close Wounds (Spell Compendium). Immediate action, cures 1d4+1/CL (max +5) on any target up to close range. Gives you a chance to turn "All Dead" into "Mostly Dead".

Cloud of Knives (PHBII). DMM + Persist. Add Fell Drain for more giggles.

Lava Missile (Serpent Kingdoms). Autohits like magic missile, although there is a Ref save for half. Fire damage, so it can be used to ignite things (webs, oil, wall of thorns, etc.).

Spectral Stag (Magic of Faerun). Can be used to bull rush opponents around the battlefield as a free action, or used as a mount similar to phantam steed. Duration is short like a summons, but this can be a fun one to persist.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-28, 07:06 AM
Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) is even better: +20 competence bonus to any skill check.Yes & no. Guidance of the Avatar is better when you know exactly when you'll need it (one minute duration). Divine Insight is better if you don't (hours/level duration).

And, of course, one being Competence and the other being Insight, they stack with each other.

Vaz
2013-05-28, 07:43 AM
A +35 to any check is pretty decent. Combine it with Mounted Combat for example, with say 18 ranks and 14 Dex for 1/round AC of 55.

Gwendol
2013-05-28, 09:34 AM
Obscuring mist, shatter.
Protection from evil: likely the best protective 1st level spell in the game. And the AC bonus stacks with Shield of Faith, it's sweet until you get Magic Vestment.