PDA

View Full Version : Increase Manifesting Time

Ruethgar
2013-05-27, 04:32 PM
I have a few abilities that have a casting/manifesting/use time of a swift action but I want to be able to use them all together. Is there a way to increase the time on spells, spell-likes, manifestations, supernatural or extraordinary abilities?

Flickerdart
2013-05-27, 04:38 PM
Spontaneous arcane casters have no difficulty increasing casting time - putting any metamagic on a spell makes it a full-round action for them.

Ruethgar
2013-05-27, 05:30 PM
What about something for immediate/swift up to a move action?

katiesaur
2013-05-27, 05:40 PM
You might just ask your DM if you can trade your move/standard action for another swift action.

Idk if there are any actual rules about doing that, but my group has always allowed players to trade in an action for another "lesser" action.

TuggyNE
2013-05-27, 05:58 PM
Spontaneous arcane casters have no difficulty increasing casting time - putting any metamagic on a spell makes it a full-round action for them.

Spontaneous divine casters too, for that matter; a Cleric casting Maximized cure light wounds out of a slot with dimensional anchor prepared needs a full-round action. (Why a Cleric might do this I couldn't say.)

You might just ask your DM if you can trade your move/standard action for another swift action.

Idk if there are any actual rules about doing that, but my group has always allowed players to trade in an action for another "lesser" action.

There aren't, unless you count the Ruby Knight Vindicator, which has an Su ability to trade Turn Undead uses for swift actions, but doesn't specify the action cost, so technically defaults to a standard. Good times!

But yeah, in general, getting extra swift actions is the hardest thing to do in the 3.5 action economy.

Ruethgar
2013-05-27, 07:47 PM
Was wanting to go with a Nightcrawler-ish short range teleportation at will. Reserve Mage with Dimentional Jaunt gets me four in one round but is delayed by level requirements so I was thinking of taking the Dimentional Hop psionic ability through Hidden Talent at level one but once I can Dimetional Jaunt as a swift action it becomes useless. I could retrain the feat, but I want other psionic feats like Up the Walls and Mental Leap for more awesome mobility options.

katiesaur
2013-05-27, 08:08 PM
Was wanting to go with a Nightcrawler-ish short range teleportation at will. Reserve Mage with Dimentional Jaunt gets me four in one round but is delayed by level requirements so I was thinking of taking the Dimentional Hop psionic ability through Hidden Talent at level one but once I can Dimetional Jaunt as a swift action it becomes useless. I could retrain the feat, but I want other psionic feats like Up the Walls and Mental Leap for more awesome mobility options.

If you have the gold, you could buy an Anklet of Translocation (MiC pg 71, 1400). It would work the same as the Dimensional Hop ability and you could sell it when you get Dimensional Jaunt. Just choose a different power for Hidden Talent and use that to qualify for Up the Walls and Mental Leap.

Ruethgar
2013-05-27, 08:49 PM
5 hops would be nice though. And besides, what ability would you suggest that goes with that theme?

katiesaur
2013-05-27, 09:42 PM
5 hops would be nice though. And besides, what ability would you suggest that goes with that theme?

If I remember correctly Hidden Talent only gives you 2 power points, which means you'd only be able to use it twice unless you had another source of power points.

Other possible powers: Skate, Burst, Catfall, Urban Strider, Detect Teleporation, and Mighty Spring.

Ruethgar
2013-05-27, 10:45 PM
Using one of the restoration tricks and body fuel. Takes time so it is not combat efficient but infinite all the same. I was also considering Vow of Poverty for this character. Skate looks nice though, can buff beforehand instead of using an action which is good. Catfall is situational, though could be fun.

Mighty Spring, mmm massive jump bonus. Mental Leap is untyped, then see about grabbing an MSRD mutation bonus for +10 more(doubtful but w/e), +30 for focus use and a single point. Auto-jump across a 15ft pit or 30ft with a running start. Flight would still be better mechanically, but being able to leap like that would get awesome points in my book.