PDA

View Full Version : Magic System Idea

Amaril
2013-05-27, 07:55 PM
So, I've got this idea floating around for a magic system, not connected to any particular project, and I thought I might as well put it up here and see what people thought of it (as well as enlist some help coming up with names for things). It was inspired heavily by the magic system in Erfworld (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0001.html), as well as the arcane school system in D&D.

The way the system works is this--there are three primary elements from which magic can be drawn, which are Matter, Energy, and Life. Matter and Energy are exactly what they sound like, while Life includes both organic material (over which it shares some control with Matter), cellular energy (which overlaps with Energy a bit), and the metaphysical forces of the soul or spirit, which are not part of the portfolio of either of the others. Each of these elements is divided into three schools--those of Creation (conjuring more of the element from nothing), Manipulation (the easiest school group, concerned with altering or controlling the element where it already exists), and Destruction (removing that element from existence). This system produces a total of nine schools, as shown below.

Matter

Creation: Conjuration
Manipulation: Transmutation
Destruction: Obliteration (?)

Life

Creation: Animation
Manipulation: Mutation (?)
Destruction: Termination (?)

Energy

Creation: Evocation
Manipulation: Transference
Destruction: Abjuration

There are still some issues to be worked out, though--mostly just that I need better names for some of the schools (indicated with a question mark). Also, I'm not entirely sure about Illusion being the manipulation of energy. The logic was that a) I needed an illusion school somewhere, b) illusion could easily be thought of as manipulating light and sound in one's surroundings to create false images, and c) I couldn't think of anything else to go in that space.

Thoughts?

Grinner
2013-05-27, 08:31 PM
Obliteration and Mutation sound fine, though you could replace Obliteration with Disintegration if it bothers you. Also, Obliteration might conceivably overlap with Life a bit...

Termination certainly covers the basic idea of the destruction of life, but I feel like you could get a more poetic term. I'll post again if I think of anything.

I think Illusion would better fit under life as a psychological thing, but I don't think you need Illusion anyway. In fact, unless you're going to do a rewrite of D&D, it seems like it detracts from what you've got so far.

Aside from that, I like what you've done, and I would advise against trying to pigeonhole D&D concepts into it.

Landis963
2013-05-27, 08:41 PM
"Transference" works pretty well for Energy Manipulation.

Amaril
2013-05-27, 08:42 PM
"Transference" works pretty well for Energy Manipulation.

Perfect, edited that in. Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Frathe
2013-05-27, 08:47 PM
I've considered systems a little like this, leading me to a question: where does manipulation of time go? It almost seems like its own category (contrasting with matter and energy), but that seems like it'd be relatively limited mechanically. I mean, there're only so many things you can do with time manipulation; I don't think you could get three schools.

I guess you could claim time manipulation as a form of energy manipulation, but that's really unsatisfying.

Amaril
2013-05-27, 08:53 PM
I've considered systems a little like this, leading me to a question: where does manipulation of time go? It almost seems like its own category (contrasting with matter and energy), but that seems like it'd be relatively limited mechanically. I mean, there're only so many things you can do with time manipulation; I don't think you could get three schools.

I guess you could claim time manipulation as a form of energy manipulation, but that's really unsatisfying.

Well, there are other things--Time among them--that could conceivably be elements in their own right, but you're right about the problem with them not being able to do enough things. The easy thing to do would be to say that magic in whatever world this is just can't manipulate Time, or whatever other element is in question. But that's no fun, is it?