PDA

View Full Version : Most popular edition of WFRP?

TheAnnoyingNoob
2013-05-27, 10:25 PM
So I'm new to the RPG scene (the 40k RPG's being my only experience) and since I've no experience with any system with multiple editions and even less with WFRP I'd like to know what the most popular edition here on GitP was. Also since I seem to only see games pop up occasionally, would it be worth investing in the books or should I just stick with 40k?

avr
2013-05-27, 10:32 PM
Having played 2nd & 3rd edition WFRP I preferred 2nd - wonky but more fun. That said I wouldn't recommend either as someone's first RPG any more than I'd recommend Terry Pratchett as someone's first fantasy novel, they're full of references and assumptions based on knowledge of fantasy RPGs.

Rhynn
2013-05-27, 10:34 PM
Second. It's like first, but more polished. I've played considerably more first edition than second, but would be hard put to think of any differences other than small details (like increasing characteristics in increments of 5% rather than 10%) and the much-improved magic system.

TinyHippo
2013-05-27, 11:48 PM
How many different editions are there? How does one tell them apart?

Rhynn
2013-05-27, 11:52 PM
First edition is black and white inside. (There's actually two versions of the book, the original Games Workshop one and the revised Hogshead Publishing one.)

Second edition is color inside (although a few of the supplements are black and white inside).

Third edition is color inside and includes all sorts of cards and other boardgameish knick-knacks.

Edenbeast
2013-05-28, 04:21 AM
I don't like the way FFG went for the third edition, so I prefer the second. I still like the system very much, although I'm using the various 40k games mostly nowadays. If you have some experience with the 40k games, then WHFRP 2nd edition isnt's a huge step in terms of gameplay.
Some advice I can give you: you can use 40k to build your fantasy game, and just use the primitive weapons and ignore advanced technology. 40k is a huge settings with many options and planets ranging from higly advanced forge worlds to primitive feral worlds. You can use 40k for fantasy, wild west, steampunk, and whatnot. The game itself, like Dark Heresy, I consider an improvement over WHFRP 2. Dark Heresy and Fantasy were both initially printed by Black Industries before FFG took over. And unlike the fantasy setting, FFG did improve the 40k games (imo). You can save your money and just stick to the 40k books you already have.

neonchameleon
2013-05-28, 05:04 AM
The first and second editions are almost mechanically interchangeable other than the magic system. The first has better fluff, the second slightly streamlined mechanics and a magic system that actively makes casting spells feel scary for the caster. But if you don't have mages they are closer than D&D 3.0 and D&D 3.5 - which you are playing doesn't really matter.

WFRP 3e is a very interesting high budget experimental game. I like what they were trying to do and some of what they did (the dice resolution mechanic is very good, the cards are sometimes good but in desperate need of an online character generator) but wouldn't recommend it for the GiantITP audience (I might on RPG.net and it would be my recommendation on Story-Games if that explains anything).