PDA

View Full Version : Need help for first pathfinder game

dantiesilva
2013-05-27, 11:30 PM
I will be starting in my first ever pathfinder game and was looking for some help. I have been playing 3.5 for almost 9-10 years now and have heard of pathfinder and even seen a few games, but never myself joined in one. I was wondering if there would be anything I should notice different about the system besides the skills and what is the easiest class to learn with? I normally play DMM clerics as well as scouts

Katana1515
2013-05-28, 05:43 AM
Hey!

if you are familiar with 3.5 you shouldnt have too much trouble adapting to pathfinder. the changes to the core ruleset are fairly minimal. Main changes off the top of my head are the new skills system (as you have mentioned) that makes picking up cross class skills easier and mixes certain skills together (spot and listen = perception ect). Other changes include the new system for grappeling (a particular point of controversy in the neverending edition wars :) ) but that basically boils down to everyone having an AC like defence stat vs grappeling called CMB instead of rolling checks. Other general changes include having more feats, gaining them every odd level as opposed to the old system. Also many feats have been altered/introduced sometimes a good thing (deadly aim), others maybe not quite as much (power attack)

I wouldnt pick out any class that would be easiest since they have all recieved minor changes, i would just pick whichever core classes you played before and have a good readthrough of their class features. I played a sorcerer in my first pathfinder game and was really pleased with it (the addition of bloodlines does a lot for the class). If you like DMM clerics though you may struggle unless your DM permits access to some 3.5 content as Pathfinder does not currently have any equivalent of it. If you like the flavour of scouts i like the pathfinder ranger personally and this guide http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers by the ever impressive treantmonk, is great. (hope this helps)

dantiesilva
2013-05-29, 12:37 AM
Thank you so much for your reply and will start reading the guide.