PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Edge of the Empire: Campaign Ideas

Hopeless
2013-05-28, 03:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried running a Clone Wars era game with this system?

Otherwise what ideas would you come up with for a game in the Outer Rim for Edge of the Empire?

Alejandro
2013-05-28, 05:50 PM
I picked up the (Beta) book at last year's Gencon. Haven't done anything other than read it since. Honestly, not that impressed.

Sorry, I realize that's not answering what you asked.

vartan
2013-05-28, 11:56 PM
I don't have the book, but how about something generic like a sandstorm on Ryloth forces attendees of a trade meet to seek shelter together- but things get ugly when business deals gone bad are avenged, contraband spice is uncovered, etc etc

Asmodai
2013-06-03, 09:53 PM
How about embroiling the group in a bitter feud for the control of a powerful noble house? They could be the patsies, the assassins, the spies or just the guys saving a damsel in distress...

On the other hand, what happens when a Black Sun boss goes on the lam. Will the PC's help with the hunt, or join him/her on the train of abusing the information in their head?

The Empire raids your favorite watering hole, and you're stuck into the brig. You will die in a small dark room with no light for the rest of your miserable lives. That is... unless you take the kind offer from the gentleman from Imperial Intelligence.

There is a hip new drug that's all the rav among the affluent Imperials. Hoping to get in on the action, the characters smuggle the stuff into profitable teritorries. Things go bad and their batch kills people. Now the Syndicates, Dealers and the Imperials are after them, but best of all, the characters need to find out who set them up, and why?

Mutazoia
2013-06-04, 02:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried running a Clone Wars era game with this system?

Otherwise what ideas would you come up with for a game in the Outer Rim for Edge of the Empire?

Not very impressed with what I've seen of the system so far. The D20 rule set was ok but personally I still prefer the old D6 system. I ran an Old Republic (first Stith War era) campaign with it and it was a lot of fun all around. The D6 system really lends itself to the fast pace of the movies and didn't bog down with a lot of calculating bonuses/penalties/hitpoint tracking etc.

Personally when desigining a Star Wars campaign I prefer to steer clear of time lines already covered by movies/tv shows/books/comics/video games as much as possible to avoid some uber-fanboy playing the "that's not canon" or "The EU says different" cards.

As for campaign ideas on the outter rim..again the D6 version comes to the rescue with the "Tales from the Outter Rim" splat book. Other than that, watch any old 70's era sci-fi show for story ideas (especially ones like "Blake's 7" or the later episodes of "Lost in Space") ripping of ST:Voyager would work occationally, as long as you modified the episodes enough not to be direct copies.

Looshkin
2013-06-04, 05:00 PM
First thoughts, if you wanted to stay movie-era and -relevant, would be either

Smuggling materiel into the Core for the Rebels, avoiding the attention of the token Imperial presence to ensure it stays a token presence, and the considerably less token criminal presence, complicated by the fact that they are probably the source of your illicit goods. This can be accompanied by spreading propaganda for the Rebels / against the Empire on the side.

or

Cementing an Imperial presence in the sector, giving the players some rein to see if they favour a generally positive influence (chase out the criminals taking advantage of a lack of strong governance, vilify the rebels rather than simply wipe them out, make life under the Empire better than without it), go for brute subjugation, or settle somewhere in the middle. You could also spin this into a bigger story by starting them out as starry-eyed idealists who side with the Empire to bring some stability to their home, only to be driven into the Rebellion by a despotic governor.

If you want to cut free of the movies, then as Mutazoia says you've got freedom to do pretty much anything that takes your fancy, just with a suitable coat of latex.

Tegster
2013-06-14, 10:47 AM
Seeing EotE caters to the Outer Rim, an area flooded with scum and villainy,

you can play rivaling mercenary & bounty hunter groups,
bounty hunter escapades,
cartel wars between the Hutts,
between the Hutts and other organizations,
you can tie into timelines indirectly by hiring them out to landlords or imperial scum,
run a spec-op mission that ties into a known plot (focus all information to what is in front of them and when it's all over, give a tid-bit what it was for. for instance, their group is hired for espionage and in the process blows up a rival ship...that happened to hold many Bothans.)
they could be contracted to take out a Jedi
run a scenario focusing on specific characters (obligations)
run occasional episodes dealing with arch-enemies and/or chronic antigonists
run a scenario dealing with other skills other than combat (always have to have some combat, but focus on role-playing with secondary skills. This gives incentive to build up other stuff).

Yeah, I used to GM Star Wars (WEG) a lot. Good stuff, Maynard! EotE looks good. It's designed to be fast & easy after the crunches. I wouldn't mind joining a game.