PDA

View Full Version : Ability Rip + Astral Seed question

Alleran
2013-05-28, 05:27 AM
Okay, so Ability Rip. Take a supernatural ability, give up one of your own permanently, and have the new one for a non-permanent length of time. It can't be a supernatural class feature.

Astral Seed. Kill yourself, regrow a new body with all the abilities you possessed at the time of astral seed manifestation.

Do these work in tandem?

Astral Seed states:

"You possess all the abilities you possessed when astral seed was manifested, at one level lower, but you have none of your equipment."

That would seem to imply that you possess them all, including the new supernatural ability you gained via Ability Rip. However:

"Duration: 1 hour/level" (Ability Rip duration)

So the Ability Rip that grants you a supernatural ability is not permanent. When you resurrect via your astral seed, do you then have all your abilities as they were when you manifested the astral seed, including the non-permanent supernatural ability granted by Ability Rip? And once the duration that it had remaining when you manifested your astral seed has expires, it will go away?

Or is the new supernatural ability you've gained a permanent one? Does Astral Seed override the duration limit on Ability Rip?

As a side question, is there any way to get around the "no class features may be transferred with this spell" clause in Ability Rip? How can you transfer supernatural class features around?

Vaz
2013-05-28, 06:58 AM
Do you possess it at the time of death? Yes. It is why Astral seed is one of the more broken spells.

Abuseing i t with greater Metamorphosis is a favourite of mine to use with it. IIRC you don't lose your own abilities like with Shapechange.

I'm not sure how to get class features without taking levels in Illithid Savant, and I can't remember if that is purely Ex only.

Alleran
2013-05-28, 07:03 AM
Do you possess it at the time of death? Yes. It is why Astral seed is one of the more broken spells.
But does the duration factor in? You possess a non-permanent, temporary ability at the time of death. If you're resurrected with the same stuff you had when you manifested, why wouldn't you have the same ability? As in, the same temporary ability, which will end when the spell duration would have expired?

Jack_Simth
2013-05-28, 07:16 AM
But does the duration factor in? You possess a non-permanent, temporary ability at the time of death. If you're resurrected with the same stuff you had when you manifested, why wouldn't you have the same ability? As in, the same temporary ability, which will end when the spell duration would have expired?
Optimizers says that the duration is no longer a factor, as the original spell has long since expired; you get the ability in an Instantaneous manner.

DM's will often say that the remaining duration on the ability is part of the ability, and it expires shortly after you finish rebuilding your body; the crystal 'remembers' the state of magic and psionics at the time you manifested it just as it 'remembers' the rest of your body.

The power is not as well written as it might be.

Vaz
2013-05-28, 07:28 AM
Sorry, yes, i had intended to say it; but The poor wording on it is what allows you to read it in the way CharOp does. It is as simple a check as "is it present? Yes? You have it upon regeneration".

Haste is another decent usage thereof.

However, like everything in CharOp on dodgy wording, it just needs a DM to say "no" to rectify their errors.