PDA

View Full Version : Iconic adventures for 3.5?

Balor01
2013-05-28, 05:55 AM
Hey guys,

Which published (official or fanmade) adventures are in your opinion "canon" or "must play" for people, who play 3.5?

I'd like a list in order for my group to start grind through.

Also, If you can post them from "most iconic to less iconic".

thanks

ArcturusV
2013-05-28, 06:11 AM
Dang, when I saw this topic title I was hoping it was 3.5 updates to some adventure modules I considered Iconic like Keep on the Borderlands, or Isle of Dread.

That said, can't think of any for 3.5 that I'd consider really "iconic". Most of them I have seen or played were pretty bland and forgettable. Never felt a real driving need to run them.

Jon_Dahl
2013-05-28, 06:20 AM
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.
Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

Thurbane
2013-05-28, 06:21 AM
Red Hand of Doom is one of the most widely played and talked about adventures in 3.5

Gwendol
2013-05-28, 06:23 AM
I have a feeling Red Hand of Doom qualifies.

Look for a list of the "best 10 adventures for 3.5" or similar, that should give you a general indication of where to start.

Yora
2013-05-28, 12:17 PM
I'd say the only two really big 3rd Edition adventures were Red Hand of Doom and The Sunless Citadel. Though the later is actually pre 3.5e which means the Survival skill is still called Wilderness Lore and... that's pretty much it. Especially noteworthy as it was the first 3rd Edition adventure at all, and it never really got surpassed except by obviously Red Hand of Doom.
Now The Sunless Citadel does not have an amazing plot, location, or characters, but it just does everything right to give new players an introduction into the game, during which they should learn about everything they need to know.

There is a good amount of adventures in the Dungeon magazine, which was an officially licensed publication at the time. For 3rd Edition, WotC pretty much outsourced the whole Adventure business to Paizo.
"Age of Worms" has become quite popular and "Savage Tide" is a big campaign into the Abyss that includes many of the famous demons and some legendary NPCs.
There were also a number of smaller adventures, of which "The Styes" seems to make it into the top three of about any "Best 3rd Ed. Dungeon magazine adventures" list.

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-28, 04:22 PM
Absolutely Red Hand of Doom. Sure, it was written for a standard, non-optimized party, but it's still great fun regardless, and a few minor DM flourishes can make the adventure shine even better.

I'll also nominate Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Very well made adventure, that still has the alterable portions that the original had. My players had a great time playing that adventure.

For Eberron, I'd recommend Whispers of the Vampire's Blade. Leafing through that adventure at a used book store is what sold me on Eberron, and I had a great time running it.

yougi
2013-05-28, 09:50 PM
I'll second Whispers of a Vampire Blade. It's one of those adventures which I would want to run again, but now my group knows of it.

I'll also say Forge of Fury is a pretty well known, but not necessarily that good. It's actually 3.0, but you know.

Actually, I find Pathfinder makes much better adventures, and they're rather easy to adapt to 3.5.

buttcyst
2013-05-28, 09:58 PM
would WLD qualify? I don't know much about mods, I usually write my own adventures, more like journeys to upper levels across a common world made by me

Illarion
2013-05-29, 02:53 PM
check out "The Shackled City" and "War of the Spider Queen"

Cirrylius
2013-05-29, 04:40 PM
Sure, it was written for a standard, non-optimized party, but it's still great fun regardless,

Really? Huh. My party just about got its face murdered off when we had to fight the war trolls, the red dragon, and an unspecified third threat one right after the other, and we were pretty optimized.

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-29, 06:14 PM
Really? Huh. My party just about got its face murdered off when we had to fight the war trolls, the red dragon, and an unspecified third threat one right after the other, and we were pretty optimized.

Well, it sounds like your DM altered things, because there are no War Trolls in RHoD.

Saintheart
2013-05-29, 10:31 PM
Well, it sounds like your DM altered things, because there are no War Trolls in RHoD.

And the default RHOD book gives you downtime between those encounters in which to charge up your gear again.

Oh, iconic adventures for 3.5? Red Hand of Doom. But then, I'm biased, see my sig. :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2013-05-30, 01:25 AM
I like the Sons of Gruumsh as well. Not too complicated but still plenty of good stuff in it.

TypoNinja
2013-05-30, 02:37 AM
Now The Sunless Citadel does not have an amazing plot, location, or characters, but it just does everything right to give new players an introduction into the game, during which they should learn about everything they need to know.

Sunless citadel also makes it easy for a new DM. Lots of material/rules that most adventures would assume you already know are spelled out for you in the adventure.

I have to recommend Expedition to the Demon Web Pits to anybody, its not for beginners, but is very fun.

City of the Spider Queen is 3.0, but its a wonderfully mean adventure. It will kill PC's.