PDA

View Full Version : Sitting Shotgun

GutterFace
2013-05-28, 11:28 AM
So, normally in the party (3.5) i end up playing in, i am the only one that heavily optimizes my character (as best i can without being broken). therefore i end up dropping whopping damage, evading the DM, hassling scenarios...etc.

but now its about time to let someone else shine. i think they have been playing long enough to start making OP decisions....

so i need an idea for a character that lets someone else take the driver seat.
Preferable a buffer/utility of some sort, that can't be easily broken to be a monster.

Bard - obviously a choice, but im not a fan of singing (which everyone demands in our party as a Bard [they are insane]).

Marshal - Diplomancer, aura champion, caller of shots.

Beguiler - i love illusions and how they can help others succeed.

Artificer - can they do this well (support?)

and possibly sneak in a PF Alchemist - do potions have to be drunk to work? can i make an oil/salve that can be slathered on via a thrown, ranged touch attack?

any other ideas?

Than
2013-05-28, 02:52 PM
Stick your perform skill in "oratory" as a bard and just be one that doesn't sing. Inspirational Speaker. You could be that guy from Yes Man. Diplomancers might end up taking the driver seat in non-combat situations so I would avoid them to force the others to shine on that front. Illusions sound good. Anything party buffing or battlefield control.

Sylthia
2013-05-28, 02:58 PM
Is it the singing that you oppose or Inspiring Courage in general? You can also dance or do any Perform (Something) that you want. And it lasts for 5 turns after you do it, so you have plenty of other things to do after it's done.

You could also be a good ol' fashioned Wizard/Cleric/Sorc and just take spells that focus on buffing your comrades. You can still have your aces in the hole if need be as well.

GutterFace
2013-05-28, 03:11 PM
my whole thought was if i went into Bard/Wiz/Sorc/Cler i would optimize it since it's what ive always done. i know i wont be able to avoid it.

GutterFace
2013-05-28, 03:12 PM
Stick your perform skill in "oratory" as a bard and just be one that doesn't sing. Inspirational Speaker. You could be that guy from Yes Man. Diplomancers might end up taking the driver seat in non-combat situations so I would avoid them to force the others to shine on that front. Illusions sound good. Anything party buffing or battlefield control.

sadly i WOULD be forced to dance, sing, quoth....etc....hence why i never played a Jester. good lord i cant think of that many puns/jokes/quips

Xervous
2013-05-28, 03:22 PM
I am envisioning a gritty, war veteran of a marshal chomping down on a cheap roll of tabac as he yells at the party, yells at the enemy, and is just a grumpy don't-take-s***-from-anyone kinda guy.

Optimize intimidate to yell at the enemies like you're a drill sergeant, have them cowering for your party members to lop their heads off... and the enemies will like it because it is an escape from your amazing voice. The party, however, is stuck with you :smallamused:

A_S
2013-05-28, 03:57 PM
Optimize intimidate to yell at the enemies like you're a drill sergeant, have them cowering for your party members to lop their heads off... and the enemies will like it because it is an escape from your amazing voice. The party, however, is stuck with you :smallamused:

Heh...now thinking this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHInMusWJdY).

Namfuak
2013-05-28, 07:28 PM
A Crusader with focus in Devoted Spirit and White Raven could tank damage while setting up flanks for allies. Dragon Shamans are basically "Party support in a can," what with the auras. Archivists are also extremely useful to the party with dark knowledge, and can mostly use party buff and battlefield control/debuffing spells to avoid hogging the spotlight from the main damage dealers. Just a few outside core thoughts.