PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a vault heist adventure

zorenathres
2013-05-28, 11:38 AM
greetings playgrounders,

I am looking for an adventure or module where the players break into a highly protected vault to recover a Mcguffin, we play D&D 3.X but I also use some pathfinder material, & I am pretty good at converting other RPG's or older AD&D material so these are welcome as well, except older stuff is really hard to find & it would be easier of I didn't have to do any conversions.

I tend to look over written adventures for ideas & a general outline for an encounter & then write/ tailor a story to my players, & have no sources to look at for an idea of what a raid on a high security vault would look like on paper.

After starting to write up an adventure for my players, I have realized that I don't have much experience designing a raid on a vault, any help or insight would be appreciated!

EDIT: For those wanting more information, this is for an E12 game (a variant of E6) in a magi-tech setting similar to Eberron, where tech is fueled by refined "mana".

neonchameleon
2013-05-28, 12:05 PM
greetings playgrounders,

I am looking for an adventure or module where the players break into a highly protected vault to recover a Mcguffin, we play D&D 3.X but I also use some pathfinder material, & I am pretty good at converting other RPG's or older AD&D material so these are welcome as well, except older stuff is really hard to find & it would be easier of I didn't have to do any conversions.

I tend to look over written adventures for ideas & a general outline for an encounter & then write/ tailor a story to my players, & have no sources to look at for an idea of what a raid on a high security vault would look like on paper.

After starting to write up an adventure for my players, I have realized that I don't have much experience designing a raid on a vault, any help or insight would be appreciated!

EDIT: For those wanting more information, this is for an E12 game (a variant of E6) in a magi-tech setting similar to Eberron, where tech is fueled by refined "mana".

The best two sources I know of for running Heist and crime games are the Leverage RPG (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/85727/Leverage-Roleplaying-Game) (rules light RPG with some great DMing tools especially for on the fly heists) and the Fate Core Crimeworld (http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-sneak-peek-crimeworld/) (which not coincidently is written by John Rogers - I'm not sure when it will be out tho).

The big question, of course, is do you know already how the PCs are going to try raiding the vault? Heavy end of the hammer/blow the doors and walls off? Grift their way so the theft isn't discovered for two more days? Catburgler? Man-in-the-middle/impersonate a guard?

But seriously, the DMing chapters in Leverage are probably worth the money on their own.

zorenathres
2013-05-28, 12:20 PM
The big question, of course, is do you know already how the PCs are going to try raiding the vault? Heavy end of the hammer/blow the doors and walls off? Grift their way so the theft isn't discovered for two more days? Catburgler? Man-in-the-middle/impersonate a guard?

But seriously, the DMing chapters in Leverage are probably worth the money on their own.

great question, I was going to make a sidequest to find the vault-makers notebook, which may provide them with "insider information" for a sort of "Catburgler" run, if they decide to take time finding it. I also want to put at least two more seeds in in case they refuse to go looking for some old book (blasting their way in, at least until they breach the outer defenses, I would like to discourage since I want to encourage some clever thinking).

never heard of Leverage, I'm looking it up now...

Yora
2013-05-28, 12:24 PM
A long time ago, there was an AD&D adventure in Dungeon magazine, in which the PCs are tasked to find a magic cauldron, but it would only work for those who obtained it without violence. Those who would take it by force would be unable to gain any benefit from it.
So the PCs had to get it without getting caught by any guards that would try to stop them.

That might be an interesting idea to work with.

zorenathres
2013-05-28, 12:33 PM
A long time ago, there was an AD&D adventure in Dungeon magazine, in which the PCs are tasked to find a magic cauldron, but it would only work for those who obtained it without violence. Those who would take it by force would be unable to gain any benefit from it.
So the PCs had to get it without getting caught by any guards that would try to stop them.

That might be an interesting idea to work with.

haha, this would be funny as hell, & it just gave me an idea, perhaps to design the vault in the fashion of this cauldron: any hostile actions within the vault seal the doors & raise the alarm? kind of like a sanctuary spell-alarm? Sounds great for the outer defenses (as I imagine my players will start getting itchy if they can't do anything hostile the whole adventure). I do want to leave the option of them fighting their way out, if things go badly for them.

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-28, 04:21 PM
There was one in a dungeon magazine for 2nd level in eberron, where the players have to rob a dwarven Kundarak bank. I couldn't tell you which issue, though.

zorenathres
2013-05-29, 12:49 AM
that would be right down the alley of what I am looking for, but with no access to dungeon mags, & with no reference point I would get lost looking...

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-29, 12:41 PM
that would be right down the alley of what I am looking for, but with no access to dungeon mags, & with no reference point I would get lost looking...

Go to paizo.com, look through the last 50 or so dungeon magazines until you find one that mentions the adventure. They don't cost much.