PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Dervish Dance

Talderas
2013-05-28, 12:49 PM
No, this isn't probably what you're thinking. I'm not looking to break it and make it stupid power. I'm looking to break it by making it not work as described.

Specifically there are certain requirements put into dervish dance. You must move at least 5ft between attacks. That means that at any given point of time your movement speed must be at least equal to (n-1) * 5ft where n is the number of attacks you can make in a full attack action.

As an example, a human dervish with the TWF chain would have 7 attacks a round. He would require 30ft of movement speed in order to utilize all attacks while moving during the dance. Fortunately, the class does grant a +15ft enhancement bonus to movement speed over 10 levels (+5@2, +10@5, +15@8).

So here's what I'm looking for. Is there any points at which a dervish would be unable to fully utilize all attacks it natively has?

So I'm looking at non-temporary (and non-spell) methods that grant extra attacks or lower movement speed or if there are simply points in a build where the dervish does not have enough movement speed to go along with the attacks she has (mostly applies to creatures smaller than medium).

MidgetMarine
2013-05-28, 01:36 PM
Hit a Dwarf Dervish with A Hamstring Sneak Attack (as the feat)

Done.

Xervous
2013-05-28, 01:54 PM
Trip him o course

Der_DWSage
2013-05-28, 02:08 PM
Non-spell, hm? Well...

Probably the simplest, least investment-heavy way is to usecaltrops. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#caltrops) A creature has to stop running, and has only half-movement rate, but it also relies on an attack roll at +0. Still, if it hits, that's a pretty hefty penalty to them.

A Tanglefoot bag for similar reasons, but even less likely to work, as it has a relatively low save DC.

Bring the fight somewhere that has a lot of difficult terrain, and use it to your advantage. Even with a good tumble score, they're going to roll a 1 eventually.

I can't really think of an optimal spell-less way to reduce their movement though, but at least those give you somewhere to start.

A_S
2013-05-28, 02:10 PM
It's trivially easy to get an embarrassing number of attacks as part of a full attack routine by stacking natural weapons, especially if you have access to the Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike feats. That ought to do it for any reasonable move speed.

*edit* Here we go. This guy makes 7 two-bladed sword attacks, 5 claw attacks, and 1 bite attack (letting go of a weapon is a free action that can be taken during a full attack action, per the FAQ), and has a movement speed of 35. That oughtta do it.

-----

Kobold

1 - Fighter 1 - Dragonwrought, EWP (two-bladed sword)
2 - Fighter 2 - Expeditious Dodge, Mobility
3 - Fighter 3 - Combat Expertise
4 - Fighter 4 - Weapon Focus (two-bladed sword)
5 - Fighter 5
6 - Dervish 1 - TWF
7 - Dervish 2
8 - Dervish 3
9 - Dervish 4 - Multiattack
10 - Dervish 5
11 - Dervish 6
12 - Dervish 7 - Rapidstrike
13 - Dervish 8
14 - Dervish 9
15 - Dervish 10 - Improved Rapidstrike
16 - Fighter 6 - ITWF