PDA

View Full Version : One Caravan, Two Companies, and Too Many Corpses

Rizban
2013-05-28, 04:37 PM
Lilivan, a young apprentice wizard and servant of the great mage Timor, has hired you to find lost acolytes. Inclement weather delayed a small group of acolytes and would be mages behind the main party. The second apprentice wizard, Leander Nerium, stayed behind In Hamelville to await the stragglers and lead them on after the weather abated.

Three days later, Leander contacted Lilivan using his Heartstone, a plain piece of clear crystal with a faint spark of light in the very middle, pulsating like a heartbeat. The message informed Lilivan that all of the stragglers had arrived and were headed toward Metrop.

It's normally only one long day's journey from Hamelville to Metrop, even with the road between plagued by bandits. Still, the bandits are not known to kill anyone except the occasional caravan guard, preferring to raid the same caravan multiple times. Further, the spark in the heartstone proves that Leander still lives. Still, something must have happened to them. They should have arrived two days ago.

Divination has failed to reveal the location of the acolytes, but the heartstone can still lead you to Leander, and presumably the acolytes. Lilivan has given the stone to one member of your party and taught him how to use it, but it has only four charges remaining, after which it cannot be used again.

You find yourselves now on the road just north of Metrop, headed toward Hamelville. How do you proceed?

stack
2013-05-28, 07:10 PM
Wolfgang Magehand

The bald dwarf trundles along with his rolling dwarven gate. "With any luck, the bandits will up and jump out at us. Save a bit of time that way."

cameronpants
2013-05-28, 09:31 PM
Wolfgang Magehand

"With any luck, the bandits will up and jump out at us. Save a bit of time that way."

Uen Corda

"You speak the truth, brother. Though we wouldn't be any closer to finding them students, aye?" replies the tan-haired dwarf trudging next to him.

RFLS
2013-05-28, 10:06 PM
Fraith Kaelson

"Well...we can always beat it out of them." The short, dark-haired man walks silently along, bow in hand.

cameronpants
2013-05-28, 10:36 PM
Uen Corda

"Assuming one of us speaks Bandit!" Uen laughs, wheezing a little. "And assuming they weren't just et by cougars or somesuch."

stack
2013-05-29, 12:29 PM
Wolfgang harrumphs. "If we had more uses of this bloody stone our task would be a might bit easier. We know at least one is alive, at any rate. Figure we go on ahead, see if there's sign of a fight anywhere?"

RFLS
2013-05-29, 01:23 PM
"Sounds like a plan. Let's get going."

What sort of roll is it to be looking for tracks? Survival, right?

planswalker
2013-05-29, 01:58 PM
The green, winged dragonman stays silent for now, instead focusing on looking around in case of danger.

Rizban
2013-05-29, 04:45 PM
As you head north, you enter the forest between Metrop and Hamelville. You feel the air grow cooler as the overhead leaves grow denser, turning the sunlight into a din, sickly green. You hear strange creatures that you can't quite identify croak and caw in the distance on both sides of the road. The occasional light breeze creates a moaning sound that sounds just a bit too unlike normal wind...

You travel for just over two hours out of town seeing neither man nor beast.

Suddenly from around the bend ahead of you, a wagon appears. Drawn by two stout mules, the wagon towers at least 10 feet above its axles, its walls crafted from thick wood and reinforced by steel bands. Though it has no windows, there is a trapdoor in the roof, through which a black-bearded dwarf stands, clutching the reins of the mules in one hand and a complex looking pistol in the other.

"You best turn around, you worthless hoodlums! I might not get all of you, but this here magic weapon guarantees I'll kill at least three bandits today!"

planswalker
2013-05-29, 04:47 PM
"We are not bandits." Sill says simply

cameronpants
2013-05-29, 05:17 PM
Uen nods at the dwarf and regards the weapon coolly. "Have you been set upon by bandits recently?" Uen takes to the light undergrowth lining the path to allow the wagon to pass.

Rizban
2013-05-29, 05:45 PM
"Oh yeah? Then who are ya, and what the hell are ya doing on this road alone?"

stack
2013-05-29, 07:30 PM
Wolfgang laughs. "Looking for bandits, of course!"

He grows more serious. "Some folks went missing. We are looking for them."

Rizban
2013-05-29, 07:57 PM
"Ah, gods rest their souls then. If they disappeared on this road, then it isn't bandits you have to worry about. They probably tried to travel after nightfall or didn't build a big enough fire."

planswalker
2013-05-29, 11:20 PM
"Big enough for what?"

Rizban
2013-05-29, 11:25 PM
"Big enough to keep away the... things."

He looks around nervously.

"Some say it's wild beats, others that it's just bandits, but the truth is, it's... the undead."

planswalker
2013-05-29, 11:44 PM
"Thank you for the warning, then."

Rizban
2013-05-29, 11:47 PM
He lowers his gun.

"You really aren't from around here, are you? Phew! I'm sure glad you ain't with them bandits. I'm a merchant myself. Name's Von.

Say, you be interested in buying some supplies? Wouldn't want to be caught out on the road here without everything you needed."

planswalker
2013-05-29, 11:53 PM
"I myself know how to live off the land, though I thank you for the offer."

cameronpants
2013-05-30, 12:17 AM
"You really aren't from around here, are you? Phew! I'm sure glad you ain't with them bandits. I'm a merchant myself. Name's Von.

Say, you be interested in buying some supplies? Wouldn't want to be caught out on the road here without everything you needed."

"Aye, I'm in dire need of some spirits. I'll settle for something with a zest to it, but nothing too cut." Uen raises his eyebrow, thoughts bumping into each other in his mind. "Say, you wouldn't happen to know the lay of the land hereabouts- or any hot-spots for bandit attacks?"

Rizban
2013-05-30, 12:19 AM
"You're just in luck! I happen to be transporting a number of fine, dwarven ales, meads, and wines.

Aye, I've been driving this road for over three years now. This little stretch near Metrop is the safest part. About another hour from here is where the bandit territory usually starts, and you'll be in that for at least a good three to four hours walking.

Don't stray off the road though. Ain't nobody who leaves the road ever seen again."

cameronpants
2013-05-30, 01:17 AM
A wide smile settles onto Uen's face. " Two jugs of ale, a bottle of mead, and a wine for with to celebrate when we return home! " Uen's hand begins to rummage in his changepurse.

Rizban
2013-05-30, 01:19 AM
"You going to haul it with you, or was there someplace in Metrop you wanted me to deliver it?

Or, we could just setup camp here and now, wait out the night, pass around the ale... We're just out of bandit territory, and night will be falling soon. I'd hate to leave you out here without someone knowledgeable to keep you from killing yourselves."

stack
2013-05-30, 07:27 AM
Wolfgang knits his brow skeptically, "Hmfph. Seems our road lies in seeking out danger, or at least tracking it. You know any more of these undead, or just fire-side rumors? Bandits must have a way to stay safe from them, at any rate."

Rizban
2013-05-30, 07:36 AM
"Never seen them, thank Larana. They never seen me either, or I wouldn't be here talking to you."

As he's speaking, another soft breeze floats through the trees, and another odd, ghostly moan can be heard in the distance. Whether caused by the breeze or some unseen horror, you become ever less certain...

cameronpants
2013-05-30, 07:59 AM
"You going to haul it with you, or was there someplace in Metrop you wanted me to deliver it?

Or, we could just setup camp here and now, wait out the night, pass around the ale... We're just out of bandit territory, and night will be falling soon. I'd hate to leave you out here without someone knowledgeable to keep you from killing yourselves."

"Aye, pitching some tents and making a campfire would suit me just fine! Haven't been for this long of a walk in years, hate to admit it. Perhaps you can regale us with these stories of the living dead to better prepare us for our journey."

Uen glances around at his companions. "Opinions, comrades?"

Uen grows visibly tense, the moan in the trees drifting on the wind. His eyes narrow and his mouth slowly spreads into an open-mouthed frown- and he sneezes, obvious oblivious to the existence of the moan. "By the way- is it methy mead or melly mead? Not that it matters to me."

stack
2013-05-30, 08:20 AM
"Well, I suppose we can sit for a spell, especially if we aren't in bandit country yet."

planswalker
2013-05-30, 11:41 AM
"If we are to stop for the night, this is the place to do it."

cameronpants
2013-05-30, 11:58 AM
Uen's smile falters a little. He addresses his team. "Although, those kids are in danger. And I'm all for having some drink before the oncoming danger, should there be any, but... a little lost sleep is a small price to pay for getting those kids back sooner. We should press on."

He turns back to the merchant, looking grim. " Sorry, Van, but I'll have to cancel my order. I'll still take the bottle of wine, however. "

planswalker
2013-05-30, 12:01 PM
Rather surprised by the sudden whiplash, Sill asks, "Little problem making up your mind there?"

cameronpants
2013-05-30, 12:40 PM
"Little problem making up your mind there?"

"No, just momentarily distracted by the allure of a good drink. I think we can all agree that, while being a welcome distraction, it's still a distraction." He looks up at the trees overhead, and images of skeletons with swords danced in his mind. He shivered.

"Better make it two bottles, Van. I hope to celebrate very hard later on. "

Yeah, Uen thinks like a dwarven rogue but wants to act like a paladin. He'll flip flop several times before deciding on his course of action.

Rizban
2013-05-30, 12:55 PM
"Ha! Very well then. Two bottles it is."

He disappears down into the carriage, closing the trapdoor behind him. A moment later, the entire side of the wagon lifts up and becomes the cover for a mobile merchant's stall. All the merchandise, however, remains firmly packed away in crates. The dwarf removes two bottles of wine from one crate, reseals it, and steps out of the cart.

"Here we go. That'll be 12 gold each.

I've got a bit of wood here we can use for the fire once the sun starts to set, no charge, and we can gather a little bit more from right around here. Just don't more than a step or two of the path if you can help it."

While he seems to be much more at ease and even friendly, you notice that he still keeps one hand on his gun, just in case.

stack
2013-05-30, 01:05 PM
"If this is the safe stretch and its near nightfall anyhow we may as well make camp. Wouldn't do to miss the signs we're seeking by walking about in the dark, even if some of us can see a bit anyhow." Wolfgang breaks out a few supplies for making camp. "Dwarves take the darkest watches, I suppose."

cameronpants
2013-05-30, 01:34 PM
Uen fiddles with coin purse and hands over a fistful of gold, followed by a few silver to even it out. "Must be good stuff, I take it? Expensive, even for wine." The dwarf proceeds to wrap the bottles in his spare tunic and puts them into his bag.

Uen glances at Wolfgang. "A valid point, comrade. I... may have been to hasty in my proposal," he admits, "and then too hasty in my revision."

Rizban
2013-05-30, 03:38 PM
"Well, you've still got about two hours before dusk, so there's time to setup camp. I could make Metrop if I hurried, but I wouldn't feel right just leaving you to your fates.

So... did you have tents or shelter with you, or did you need to purchase or rent some?"

stack
2013-05-30, 03:45 PM
"Got my bedroll, no tent needed. Sleepin' under the star and getting the fresh air keeps my beard curly."

RFLS
2013-05-30, 05:56 PM
"I too am fine; I have my bedroll."

Fraith pauses for a moment and asks "Have you...have you by any chance heard anything specific about these undead?"

Rizban
2013-05-30, 06:32 PM
"Fine, fine. Enjoy your bedrolls, hope it doesn't rain. I'll be sleeping in my wagon.

Specifics? Ghosts and ghouls. They say restless spirits and ravenous corpses infest the woods, particularly up around that old temple. There are rumors that it was once a temple to the sun god Elimanishon, but that it was perverted by followers of another deity. Not sure where the temple is though, never been foolhardy enough to risk my neck being nosy."

planswalker
2013-05-30, 11:11 PM
"Tree is good enough for me." Sill runs and leaps up into a nearby branch, using his survival skills to set up a rain-resistant shelter in the treetops.

taking 10 on the jump to reach a decent branch in a tree for a 23 total
taking 10 on survival to make a one-man shelter that will be sufficient for the night for a 13 total.

Rizban
2013-05-31, 04:56 AM
If no one is opposed, I'm just going to time skip here.

You make it through the night unmolested by undead, brigands, or anything else. The dwarf offers to cook breakfast for you in the morning so you won't need to use any rations you might have; however, he says times are rough and he can't afford to just give away food. A hot meal will cost you 3 silver each.

After breakfast, assuming none of you need any additional adventuring gear (rope, rations, etc), he thanks you for the company, packs up, and heads to Metrop.

stack
2013-05-31, 07:16 AM
Wolfgang quietly enjoys the breakfast despite the price, expecting he may not see another for awhile. Having stowed his gear, he slings his back and nods down the road. "Best be getting on with it, then. Suppose we ought to keep our eyes open from here out."

planswalker
2013-05-31, 09:16 AM
Sill gently glides down to rejoin the rest and looks bright and ready for the start of a new day.

Rizban
2013-05-31, 09:21 AM
If you don't buy breakfast from the dwarf, you'll need to have your own rations. If you don't have any, and your race needs to eat, you will start accruing penalties from hunger later on... Just a reminder that I do impose those things.

planswalker
2013-05-31, 09:37 AM
survival skill - I'll be feeding myself along the way.

Rizban
2013-05-31, 09:39 AM
Alright, but you'll need to roll for it at some point to see how much you can forage.

planswalker
2013-05-31, 09:45 AM
I know. Was planning on doing that once we got underway.

cameronpants
2013-05-31, 11:04 AM
After enjoying the breakfast, Uen continues down the path. "So, who among us can track? I've never been able to tell the difference between a deer and a badger based on footprint. I can still try to keep my eyes peeled, I guess."

planswalker
2013-05-31, 11:08 AM
"Never bothered to learn how." Sill said as he followed along. He'll spend the first bit of their trek foraging along the side of the road for breakfast.

taking 10 on survival for a 13

stack
2013-05-31, 11:14 AM
Wolfgang laughs. "No, I'm lucky if I can track down my own kit."

Rizban
2013-05-31, 11:14 AM
Sill manages to find some berries and nuts growing along the road that make meager, if sufficient, fare.

After travelling about an hour, you assume you've reached the area that Von indicated was bandit territory.

stack
2013-05-31, 11:17 AM
The dwarf pulls a crossbow, locking the string and placing a bolt. "Best keep our eyes peeled now."I'd roll spot, but mythweavers is indisposed at the moment. I think its +4 [roll0]

planswalker
2013-05-31, 11:23 AM
Sill, though not thrilled with the meager portions, is satisfied in not being weak and lazy enough to buy food.

Overall, he's in a pleasant mood and whistles a song as he goes.

RFLS
2013-05-31, 11:24 AM
Fraith walks silently along the trail, looking into shadows and keeping his bow ready.

"Consider mine peeled."

[roll0] for Spot.

Rizban
2013-05-31, 11:58 AM
How far are you willing to travel before stopping?

Rizban
2013-05-31, 02:06 PM
Your part trudges along the path for many hours unmolested. About midafternoon, you see Hamelville appear in the distance, still about two hours away.

cameronpants
2013-05-31, 02:17 PM
Uen sniffles and spits. "Let's check out the town. Mayhaps they've seen something, aye?"

stack
2013-05-31, 02:22 PM
"Well, the message they sent to our employer said they where leaving for Metrop, but I suppose it is possible they didn't make it out of town. We could also use the Heartstone to get a bearing, though be better at the mid-way point, I suspect. But we can ask around the village anyhow, since we're almost there."

planswalker
2013-05-31, 09:59 PM
"We might as well."

RFLS
2013-06-01, 12:41 AM
"It's really the only choice I see we have. Let's go."

Rizban
2013-06-01, 04:45 AM
Just FYI, I almost never post on weekends...the town of Hamelville is quite small, maybe 20 houses, a small inn/pub, and a stone church in the middle of town that looks like it can double as a fort. A wooden palisade of rough cut timber rings the town, and there is but one gate. It seems Hamelville is more of a town that sprung up around a frequent campsite along the road and never grew to be much more than a short stopover.

Two armed men guard the gate, one of wohom addresses you as you approach.

"Ho! Travelers, welcome! How came you such a small band to our town? Were not you waylaid by bandits while coming from that direction? Yet, not a scratch on you that I can see."

planswalker
2013-06-01, 05:54 AM
"Such low thugs are not a threat for ones such as us." Sill says.

Rizban
2013-06-02, 06:08 AM
"I see... Well, good thing that safe you are!"

cameronpants
2013-06-02, 08:23 AM
"Well, bandits who attack caravans and merchants is one thing, but attacking four full-grown, armed, brave-looking men such as us? Highly unlikely, HAH!" Uen lets out a burst of staccato laughter. Whatever joke he is laughing at is likely lost on everyone else. "Mayhaps, could we enter the township proper? Oh, and directions to any taverns or centers of commerce?"

Rizban
2013-06-02, 08:30 AM
The man just looks at you funny before saying, "First building on your right is the inn. It has a common room and sells food."

He steps to the side to let you pass.

planswalker
2013-06-02, 03:37 PM
Rather than pay for a room when there are other options, Sill will jump up onto the tree nearest the inn that could support him. He'll make himself a shelter for the night up there.

Rizban
2013-06-02, 07:48 PM
Having arrived at the town no later than about 5 PM, there are still several hours of daylight remaining.

planswalker
2013-06-02, 09:29 PM
Realizing the sun's still up, Sill will call down and ask "We planning on spending the night here?"

RFLS
2013-06-03, 12:10 AM
"Hmm...yes, I think that would be best. After all... I've heard there are bandits about."

Rizban
2013-06-03, 12:19 AM
"It definitely is best to stay the night. Two days ride is the next town, or four days on foot at least."

The guard seems to be quite helpful.

planswalker
2013-06-03, 12:25 AM
"In that case I'll secure myself free lodging while you all go ask questions to people who all know the caravan left safely and doesn't know what happened to it."

Rizban
2013-06-03, 12:27 AM
"Caravan? What caravan? I've never heard of a whole caravan disappearing."

The guard looks suddenly quite worried.

stack
2013-06-03, 07:10 AM
"Some novices and their master. The gathered here and where to depart. They never arrived in Metrop. We seek to know if they did indeed depart on the road, or if something else waylaid them first."

cameronpants
2013-06-03, 05:31 PM
"I suggest we start at the Inn. If the students and master were prevented from traveling during a storm they would likely try to find shelter proper. If nothing comes up at the inn, perhaps a nearby farmhouse?"

Rizban
2013-06-03, 06:23 PM
"Are you talking about the apprentice Magi? They left town a few days ago, and we were damn glad to see them gone."

planswalker
2013-06-03, 08:44 PM
Seeing that his companions are doing the best they can to find out what is happening, Sill will begin constructing a temporary makeshift shelter in his chosen tree.

taking 10 on survival for a 13

Rizban
2013-06-03, 08:51 PM
He makes a comfy enough bed in the boughs of the tree. The guards watch him, fascinated at what they think is pure stupidity.

planswalker
2013-06-03, 08:54 PM
Sill will leap up into the air and glide down in a lazy spiral, not overly caring what they thought but enjoying making a spectacle in the middle of town.

cameronpants
2013-06-04, 12:34 AM
"Are you talking about the apprentice Magi? They left town a few days ago, and we were damn glad to see them gone."

"I would imagine so, my good man. Tell me, did they wait out the storm here in town, and if so, were they in good health when they left?"

Rizban
2013-06-04, 12:54 AM
"Nope, no storm here. If memory serves though, they all met up here before heading off to Metrop."

stack
2013-06-04, 07:23 AM
"Well, that answers that question. I suppose we move on to the next step in the morning. Go half-way and use the stone."

RFLS
2013-06-05, 07:25 AM
Fraith finds an inn for the night, and wakes at dawn the next morning, ready to go.

stack
2013-06-05, 08:13 AM
(Assuming we can fast forward to the morning)

Wolfgang wakes early and takes a heavy breakfast, ready to head out before first light.

Rizban
2013-06-05, 08:56 AM
Assuming you want to eat something other than your own rations, it's 5 silver each for dinner and 3 silver each for breakfast. The inn charges you 1 gold each for the night.

You suddenly realize that you've accomplished nothing in two days, and the chances of finding any survivors grow smaller with every passing moment.

stack
2013-06-05, 09:31 AM
"So, I say we go about half way, then use the stone to get a heading."

Rizban
2013-06-07, 02:08 PM
Been over 24 hours. I guess no one is opposed. If I don't hear something in the next little bit, I'll assume you all go along with the suggested action.

RFLS
2013-06-07, 02:12 PM
Fraith is all for it.

Rizban
2013-06-07, 02:21 PM
Using the heartstone, Wolfgang's senses are temporarily transported elsewhere. He can see only darkness, but he can hear the heavy breathing of other people around him. The smells of body odor and the faint scent sulfur fill his nostrils.

Wolfgang gets the distinct feeling that Leander is somewhere to the northwest, though he has absolutely no feel for the distance, whether 5 feet or 5 miles or more.

stack
2013-06-07, 02:47 PM
Wolfgang points off the road. "Northwest. in the dark, bunch of people close together. Could be good, if they are prisoners alive and together. I suppose we head that way until we see something."

planswalker
2013-06-07, 05:11 PM
Sill heads northwest.

Rizban
2013-06-10, 11:51 AM
After an hour or so of trudging through the woods without seeing anything noteworthy, you hear someone else moving through the woods and hear their quiet voices. You can't see them from here or make out their words, but you can tell that they are only a short distance off to the east.

stack
2013-06-10, 12:51 PM
Wolfgang nod in the direction of the sound, shrugging. "Could be a trap, only thing we've heard so far though. We head toward it?"

RFLS
2013-06-10, 01:31 PM
Fraith nods in silent agreement, already readying himself for combat.

planswalker
2013-06-10, 02:20 PM
Sill will ready his ranseur and follow along, second in line.

stack
2013-06-10, 02:29 PM
Wolfgang follows, brandishing his weapon but actually thinking about spells.

cameronpants
2013-06-11, 02:04 AM
Uen takes a deep breath, hefting his shield and axe. He saunters to the East with the rest of his team and attempts to locate the voices.

Rizban
2013-06-12, 11:56 AM
Since none of you even try to sneak forward, the voices hear you coming and fall silent while you are still just out of sight of them. Though you do manage to make out that one of them is complaining about scouting and lack of the comforts to which he is normally accustomed, though the exact specifics evade you.

Proceeding forward, you come across the remains of a small camp that was, until just recently, occupied, as evidenced by the still smoldering coals and half-eaten food.

You wonder where they went. Your curiosity is sated when a crossbow bolt flies from the nearby trees at The big, scary dragon man (Sill). [roll0] - [roll1]+[roll2]

Two more emerge from the woods, weapons drawn.

1Initiative
[roll5]
[roll4]
[roll3]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Rolling for everyone for speed of play.

stack
2013-06-12, 12:21 PM
"A fine way to say hello." If no one in the party tries to talk to them, Wolfgang crosses over toward the two and releases a burst of color.if no one wants to make a diplo check, he moves (20') and casts color spray (DC 15). If he can't reach them with one move or if it gets talky, he will cast shield and move closer

RFLS
2013-06-12, 01:20 PM
Fraith immediately returns fire, aiming for the initial attacker.

Full round action: Precise Aim (Sniper archetype feature)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
+1 attack and damage if he's within 30 feet.

cameronpants
2013-06-12, 02:02 PM
Uen spits, grimaces, and charges one of the bandits.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
AC is at 16 until the start of his next turn.

If he can't charge, he simply moves to one of them and attacks, reducing his attack roll by 2 and not losing any AC.