PDA

View Full Version : Feycraft and Warforged, rule legal?

Marcus Amakar
2013-05-28, 04:37 PM
Say I was creating a level 5 warforged wizard.

For my 1st level feat I choose mithril body. I have 9000gp to spend per DMG guidelines.

I pay for my mithril body to be enchanced, +1 twilight, to reduce ASF to 5%.
Can I make my plating feycraft, paying the 500gp, to reduce the ASF to 0% (and gaining +1 to bluff in the bargain)?

Gildedragon
2013-05-28, 04:59 PM
Ah... As the feycraft property has to be added at the time of making... I don't think so; not without DM adjudication

tricktroller
2013-05-28, 05:01 PM
as a DM I would say no unless you came up with a good fluff reason. Otherwise you are starting out with even more WBL than you would because you are playing a warforged with super armor at 1st level. In all honesty there are no rules that I have found for making your body plating dwarven/fey/githcraft because you are basically born with it.

I personally would ask the DM.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-28, 05:07 PM
Maybe if you had some compelling backstory thing that justified it...like some fey were responsible for crafting your particular group of warforged way back when (very strange behavior for fey...but maybe some fey sorceress was sterile and wanted children or some such).

For standard, Eberron-flavored warforged, you are probably out of luck. But if the DM is open to you handing him/her some ready-made plot hooks, and doesn't mind a bit of refluffing, then you might be able to come up with something. It is effectively part of your wealth that you are spending, and some kinds of items do come out of ones WBL at the very start of character creation...I think.:smallconfused:

Anyway, I don't find warforged so cool that I, as DM, would deny them some of the equipment coolness that everyone else enjoys.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-05-28, 05:10 PM
I agree with Phelix-Mu, as a DM(albeit a new one) I'd allow it as long as you're writing up a good enough backstory to fit with this. It certainly isn't too powerful to deny for balance reasons.

nedz
2013-05-28, 05:51 PM
How much is your Mithril plating worth, if you were to just rip it off and sell it ?

Marnath
2013-05-28, 06:06 PM
How much is your Mithril plating worth, if you were to just rip it off and sell it ?

Nothing. Warforged plating dissolves when removed from the body. It also regrows when healing/repair spells are cast on the warforged.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-28, 06:11 PM
Nothing. Warforged plating dissolves when removed from the body. It also regrows when healing/repair spells are cast on the warforged.

Interesting. Just thought of an idea to use an epic spell to make a living mecha out of warforged.

That whole dissolving/but living mithril/adamantine is pretty unusual.

Marcus Amakar
2013-05-28, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I’ve written up a backstory to go with the character in question, what do you folks think (both in terms of justifying feycraft and generally)?

Fey get bored, as one would expect with whimsical immortals. They often seek new pursuits, albeit abandoning them before achieving something truly noteworthy in most instances. However, for every rule there is an exception, and for [insert fey name here], the exception he created was noteworthy indeed.

[Relevant fey] was a fey monarch of staggering power, one who loved beauty and life; although in which order he wasn’t sure. Looking at the constructs of the moral folks, he was disappointed with what he saw. They were slow, ungraceful, with no spirit and no life, dull automatons with nothing of merit. So he set to work on his own, a construct which would be full of beauty and life. Its core he made from living obsidian, pulsing with energy, electrum, and amber; its workings intricate and arcane. Its exterior he crafted from mithril, trimmed with Entropium and rare white-blue silver, in elegant curves and cutting angles. And into it he pour his magic, and to deliver sentience, a sliver of his own spirit.

As his construct sprung to life, he was delighted with the result, it was a thing of beauty and the possessor of a soul. It had a life of its own and thus proved the monarchs work to be superior. The lesser fey, upon seeing it, called it ‘shine’ and this was the name it chose for itself: Shine Feywood.

Shine was schooled in the ways of magic, and became a fixture of the fey court, with gifts and titles lavished upon him. As mortal visitors came to the court of the monarch he was enthralled and came to realise that while he had a soul, it was imperfect compared to those of the mortals, and came to desire this completeness. He talked and empathised, but to them, and others as he would later find, his words always sounded hollow and his emotions opaque. He petitioned his monarch for release for to achieve this, and thankfully the arrival of the mortals coincided with the shifting of the monarch’s interests, with his petition granted with a curt dismissal.

And thus Shine Feywood came into the world, driven and able.

nedz
2013-05-28, 06:30 PM

I guess you have to sell it pretty quickly then. Just how long does it take to dissolve anyway ?

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-28, 06:42 PM

Man, this is giving me a bunch of evil ideas for cool equipment. Want living armour? Devise a way to grow a warforged into the shape of armour (probably, and disturbingly, easier than it sounds). Now your armour is intelligent, has actions of it's own, and can be targeted by healing magic.

ZOMG. PSION LIVING CONSTRUCT BATTLESUIT. YES YES YES! *maniacal laughter*

Marnath
2013-05-28, 06:43 PM
I guess you have to sell it pretty quickly then. Just how long does it take to dissolve anyway ?

Pretty much instantly (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a).

nedz
2013-05-28, 07:01 PM
Pretty much instantly (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a).

I guess it was too obvious.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-28, 07:12 PM
I guess it was too obvious.

Well, just avoid killing the warforged. Sell soulless warforged bodies. Sell clones of warforged. Sell warforged that have been PaO'd into living suits of armour. SELL LANDFORGED WARFORGE THAT HAVE BEEN TURNED INTO SUITS OF IRONWOOD ARMOUR.

*ahem*

Yeah, I think the OP is onto something. That backstory was nice.:smallsmile: