PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get sneak attack without loosing casting level?

ahenobarbi
2013-05-28, 06:30 PM
I'm working on a Spellwarp Sniper build but I have a problem. One of entry requirements for the PrC is Sneak Attack +1d6 and I can't find anyway to get it without loosing casting level. Is it possible?

Zombulian
2013-05-28, 06:32 PM
Martial Stance feat and get the Assassin Stance?

Mithril Leaf
2013-05-28, 06:38 PM
A level of Unseen Seer, but the skill requirements are horrible. Great class overall though, just not a dip you want to take lightly.

ahenobarbi
2013-05-28, 06:54 PM
Martial Stance feat and get the Assassin Stance?

I'd need two feats and could get it at level 10 earliest... or with an item thanks, it seems workable.

A level of Unseen Seer, but the skill requirements are horrible. Great class overall though, just not a dip you want to take lightly.

I looked at the class but it seems to me it only increases pre-existing Sneak Attack.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-05-28, 06:58 PM
If you don't have a specific spell casting class in mind already the generic spellcaster can do it. Otherwise a kobold sorcerer doesn't lose a caster level with its free sorcerer level.

nedz
2013-05-28, 07:04 PM
ACF Chaining ?

Martial Wizard (Fighter feat) -> Sneak Fighter (1d6 Sneak)

I don't think this is strictly RAW but it might fly.

Chronos
2013-05-28, 07:38 PM
As an aside, whenever someone makes that misspelling, I always get the mental image of something incredibly incongruous somehow being fitted into a bow and shot. How does one fletch a casting level, and with what sort of arrowhead does one fit it?

Piggy Knowles
2013-05-28, 07:52 PM

Unseen Seer's not so bad - Ruathar gives you most of what you need, without painful pre-reqs or dropping a caster level. But the OP is right, Unseen Seer only increases sneak attack, rather than granting it anew.

Magelord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=2) grants SA and advances casting, but it's 3.0 and the pre-reqs are a huge pain in the rear end. Other than that, Martial Study + Martial Stance is probably your best bet, for Assassin's Stance.

HunterOfJello
2013-05-28, 08:10 PM
I would just play a changeling and max out the benefits of the Changeling ACFs for Wizard and Rogue. Take the level of rogue first and you'll be drowning in skill points right off the bat.

Spuddles
2013-05-28, 08:21 PM
I would use spells to qualify- Heroics gets you martial study, for instance.

By a rather loose interpretation of RAW, spontaneous divination wizard can cast Hunter's Eye for 1d6 sneak attack/3 CL. Put that up when you level to qualify for a casting class that grants sneak attack. When the spell wear's off, your presrige class sneak attack will qualify for itself.

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-28, 08:25 PM
Magelord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=2) grants SA and advances casting, but it's 3.0 and the pre-reqs are a huge pain in the rear end. Other than that, Martial Study + Martial Stance is probably your best bet, for Assassin's Stance.

No it isn't. Lost Empires of Faerun was published in 2005.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-28, 08:27 PM
Novice Shadowhands for Assassins Stance and then wait until you advance in the class far enough to provide you with +1d6 Sneak Attack. The class self qualifies then and you no longer need Assassin's Stance.

You can also use Martial Study+Martial Stance followed by Chaos Shuffling Martial Study as Martial Stance again self qualifies so you don't loose it. Technically you can also shuffle away Martial Stance (or use Psychic Reformation) and you keep Assassins Stance until you are rendered helpless (which occurs once you go to sleep, it does not occur if you Trance instead however).

Illarion
2013-05-28, 08:29 PM
As an aside, whenever someone makes that misspelling, I always get the mental image of something incredibly incongruous somehow being fitted into a bow and shot. How does one fletch a casting level, and with what sort of arrowhead does one fit it?

You craft magic arrows, which cost xp to make. Thus, losing and loosing caster levels.

Spuddles
2013-05-28, 08:29 PM
Novice Shadowhands for Assassins Stance and then wait until you advance in the class far enough to provide you with +1d6 Sneak Attack. The class self qualifies then and you no longer need Assassin's Stance.

You can also use Martial Study+Martial Stance followed by Chaos Shuffling Martial Study as Martial Stance again self qualifies so you don't loose it. Technically you can also shuffle away Martial Stance (or use Psychic Reformation) and you keep Assassins Stance until you are rendered helpless (which occurs once you go to sleep, it does not occur if you Trance instead however).

I like the gloves idea; good catch with stance duration. The feats can be nabbed with Heroics; no need for DCFS.

Piggy Knowles
2013-05-28, 08:32 PM
No it isn't. Lost Empires of Faerun was published in 2005.

I stand corrected... For some reason I have that one on the 3.0 side of my bookshelves. But yeah, it's right there in the link I posted, definitely post-update. It's still a pain to qualify for, though.

TuggyNE
2013-05-28, 09:11 PM

Arcane Archer. :smalleek:

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-28, 09:24 PM
It's still a pain to qualify for, though.

You are correct about that! It's not possible to finish the class before epic levels. I always saw it as decent filler for an arcane trickster build, but otherwise way too difficult to qualify for.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-28, 09:44 PM
I stand corrected... For some reason I have that one on the 3.0 side of my bookshelves. But yeah, it's right there in the link I posted, definitely post-update. It's still a pain to qualify for, though.

I don't know - I rather like the... possibilities that it presents...:smallamused:

Invader
2013-05-28, 09:57 PM
This might be useful. It focuses on sneak attacking spell casters.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240.0;wap2

Sith_Happens
2013-05-28, 11:11 PM
You are correct about that! It's not possible to finish the class before epic levels. I always saw it as decent filler for an arcane trickster build, but otherwise way too difficult to qualify for.

Which is fine, because its capstone ability is something you can already do by default.