PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Blinkbear
2013-07-17, 03:11 AM
Q 498 Pinning

I am a tad confused about pinning a character in grapple and moving him later.

From the SRD:

Pin Your Opponent
You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack). Once you have an opponent pinned, you have a few options available to you (see below).

Move
You can move half your speed (bringing all others engaged in the grapple with you) by winning an opposed grapple check. This requires a standard action, and you must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

Note: You get a +4 bonus on your grapple check to move a pinned opponent, but only if no one else is involved in the grapple.

How could I ever move a pinned opponent? One round, I pin the opponent, which is an attack action. I cannot move the opponent in the same round because moving is a standard action. Once I can act again, he is not pinned anymore. So, I cannot move him while he's pinned.

I have the feeling that I missunderstood something...

Curmudgeon
2013-07-17, 04:04 AM
A 498

One way to achieve this is to pin your opponent via an opposed grapple check in place of an attack of opportunity when they make a provocation, and then use a standard action on your turn to move them. If your opponent does not have Improved Unarmed Strike, their unarmed attacks against you while grappling provoke AoOs (as usual).
If You’re Grappling

When you are grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), you can perform any of the following actions. Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action).
Pin Your Opponent

You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack).

Blinkbear
2013-07-17, 05:29 AM
Follow up to Q/A 498

A 498

One way to achieve this is to pin your opponent via an opposed grapple check in place of an attack of opportunity when they make a provocation, and then use a standard action on your turn to move them. If your opponent does not have Improved Unarmed Strike, their unarmed attacks against you while grappling provoke AoOs (as usual).

But the SRD says:

No Threatened Squares
You don’t threaten any squares while grappling.

So why would I have the chance to make an AoO while grappling?

Kred
2013-07-17, 06:50 AM
Q499
Feats with [Monstrous] type means only monsters can take this feat?

Jon_Dahl
2013-07-17, 07:52 AM
Q500

A kobold sorcerer enters a room. In the corner there is a medusa who is trying hide in the darkness, but that doesn't work because the kobold has darkvision.

As the kobold notices the medusa, within 30 ft., he has to roll a saving throw vs. gaze attack. He succeeds.

At this point initiative is rolled, because both are aware of each other.

And now the question:
Should the kobold roll a new saving throw on his turn? This means that he has to roll TWO saving throws before being able to act. Maybe even three, if the medusa wins initiative and uses her gaze attack as a standard action against the kobold.
Please correct me if something is wrong with this scenario. Petrification gaze attack if VERY powerful, so this one has to go precisely by the book.

eggynack
2013-07-17, 07:55 AM
A 499:
No. Any character that meets the prerequisites of monstrous feats can take them, and the [monstrous] type doesn't intrinsically bar access to anyone. The only thing stopping you from taking any given monstrous feat is the prerequisites, which often involve having a particular type, or having a particular ability that tends to be attached to monsters.

eggynack
2013-07-17, 08:01 AM
A 500:
Gaze attacks occur at the beginning of the victim's turn. Thus, the kobold wouldn't have to roll the first saving throw, but he would have to roll the second. Presumably a surprise round would qualify as the beginning of a turn, but the kobold will never be forced to suffer two passive gaze attacks prior to being able to act.

babus
2013-07-17, 08:06 AM
Q 501

If a character with Neraph Charge has multiple attacks (dual wielding, natural attacks, etc), is the opponent only considered Flat Footed against the first attack that lands or against all attacks that are a part of that particular action?

Andezzar
2013-07-17, 09:28 AM
Q 501

Unless the character also has Pounce, he only gets one attack per Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge), regardless how many extra attacks he has. If the character can make a Full Attack during a Charge the loss of the DEX modifier applies to all attack rolls. Also the feat does not make the target flat-footed, it removes the DEX modifier to AC (i.e it works against characters with Uncanny Dodge).

Curmudgeon
2013-07-17, 10:34 AM
Re: Follow up to A 498

So why would I have the chance to make an AoO while grappling?
That would be quite rare, certainly. Something like a combination of Ranged Threat (Dragon # 350) and Ranged Pin (Complete Warrior), where you pin someone's clothing with a missile, might allow you to move a foe you've pinned on an AoO.

The other possibility, without AoOs, is that you have some means of gaining either a bonus attack in the round (for the pin) or a standard action (for the move). A Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium) would allow the latter.

Lateral
2013-07-17, 10:43 AM
Q 502

When using the metapsionic feat Linked Power, can the linked power (not the main one) be augmented, as normal? For instance, could you manifest Concealing Amorphia with a linked Crystal Shard augmented to 7 PP?

Q 503

If you link a power with a manifesting time of greater than one standard action (say, Astral Construct, or Psionic Minor Creation) to one with a manifesting time of less than one standard action (say, Evade Burst or Hustle), does it still take the shorter action to manifest, and does the effect of the longer spell still take place in the following round?

Cheiromancer
2013-07-17, 01:21 PM
Q 504

Does the cost for researching a spell include the cost of scribing the spell into a wizard's spell book?

The relevant rules I have managed to identify:
If it is one of the 2 free spells per level, the cost is waived (or so I have always played it). But suppose you are 10th level and you want another spell. The spell has no extra expenses (expensive material component, focus, xp cost). It's a cone of cold, say. To buy a scroll of cone of cold is 1125 gp. To scribe it into an ordinary spellbook is 500 gp; that's a total of 1625 gp.

But according to DMG p.198 researching an existent spell takes 1 day and "costs twice what it would normally cost to have an NPC cast that spell for the character (see NPC Spellcasting, page 107)." The cost for a 9th level NPC to cast a 5th level spell is 10 x spell level x caster level, or 450 gp. Twice that is 900 gp.

The DMG goes on to say that "research to create new spells is always in addition to any other research involved for gaining spells that are already part of your campaign (if you decide to also require spell research for the new spells that casters are entitled to as they attain higher levels)." This makes it sound that the newly researched spell are otherwise the same as the spells you learn automatically when you level up, which means that if the scribing cost is waived in one place, it is waived in the other.
It seems odd to me that it would be significantly cheaper to research a spell than to buy a scroll and copy it.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-17, 02:01 PM
A 504 No.

Learning the spell and scribing it into a spellbook are separate actions. Spell research only involves the former.

Kred
2013-07-17, 02:03 PM
Q505
Powers "Independent Research"
To research a new poer psion must meditate 24 hours per day?

Baphomet
2013-07-17, 08:32 PM
Q 506
Zone of Truth targets an area rather than a creature, but creatures entering the Zone are allowed a will save. If a creature steps into the Zone of Truth and either makes their will save or is immune to compulsions, does the caster know that the spell is not working on them?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-17, 08:37 PM
A 506

Succeeding on a Saving Throw

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

So, no, the caster would not be aware that the creature has succeeded on their save.

hobbitkniver
2013-07-17, 09:33 PM
Q 507

In which book can I find rules about alcohol and getting drunk?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-17, 10:10 PM
A 507

Arms and Equipment Guide, pg. 30-32.

Lateral
2013-07-17, 10:21 PM
Q 508

Can one take a swift action while concentrating on a spell?

Q 509

Does a ghost get iteratives with its draining touch, or alternatively, is it treated as a natural weapon (i.e. added onto an attack routine at -5)?

Also, since these seem to have been missed:

Q 502

When using the metapsionic feat Linked Power, can the linked power (not the main one) be augmented, as normal? For instance, could you manifest Concealing Amorphia with a linked Crystal Shard augmented to 7 PP?

Q 503

If you link a power with a manifesting time of greater than one standard action (say, Astral Construct, or Psionic Minor Creation) to one with a manifesting time of less than one standard action (say, Evade Burst or Hustle), does it still take the shorter action to manifest, and does the effect of the longer spell still take place in the following round?

eggynack
2013-07-17, 11:17 PM
Q 508:
Yes, as long as you're not using the swift action to cast another spell. This is because, "Concentrating to maintain a spell is a standard action," but, "You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one."

unseenmage
2013-07-17, 11:38 PM
Q509

I read somewhere that the Craft Contingent Spell feat (CA 77,139) doesn't take Metamagic increases into account for pricing, is this true?

Q510

Would Metamagic increases, say from Twin Spell and Extend Spell make a spell ineligible for Chain Contingency (TaB86)?

GnomeGninjas
2013-07-17, 11:38 PM
Q511

If I cast produce flame can I start attacking people with it on the turn I cast or must I wait till next turn when I can use my standard action again.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-18, 01:38 AM
A 511

Unless you have a way of gaining an attack after using up your standard action for the round, you must wait until after the round you cast Produce Flame to attack. Only touch attack spells (those with a Target: line specifying a creature touched) have a special proviso allowing you to attack in the same round you cast the spell. Produce Flame is a spell with an Effect: specification instead; this effect allows both a touch attack and a ranged touch attack. As a spell with more capabilities than simple touch attack spells, Produce Flame does not get the special bonus attack benefit given to spells which offer only touch attacks.

animewatcha
2013-07-18, 01:45 AM
Q 512

Dragonfire adept with entangling exhalation feat. Can the feat be applied every round ( bypassing the 'same breath effect' clause in dragonfire adept class ability text ) or does it follow the 'every other round' restriction? If usable every round, why so it can be cited to a DM.

Lateral
2013-07-18, 01:49 AM
A 512

It can be used every round. A breath effect is a specific thing- those class abilities that you get at 2nd, 5th, 10th, and 15th level. Entangling Exhalation is a feat, not a breath effect, and so does not suffer such a restriction.

animewatcha
2013-07-18, 01:56 AM
A 512 cont.

Can you cite a precidence for this besides 'breath channeling'? Cause they might see it as breath effect ( and hit by restriction ), despite class ability and feat difference?

Q 513

Sniping while prone with crossbow. DM keeps mentioning some kind of +4 to ranged attack rolls ( not the +4 to ac versus, an actual +4 to ranged attack rolls ) when shooting crossbow while prone in the sniper fashion. Is this mentioned in a rule somewhere?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-18, 02:16 AM
A 513 No.

That would appear to be a house rule.

Cybris75
2013-07-18, 03:34 AM
Q 514

A spell descriptions says:

Area: 10-ft. cube/level

Let's say my caster level is 12.

Q 514a

Is this one consecutive area with a maximum volume of 12*10-ft. cubes, or up to 12 disconnected 10-ft. cubes?

Q 514b

Does this usually mean "up to 12" or "exactly 12"?

Khedrac
2013-07-18, 03:55 AM
A 514 a
In a case like this you need to read the full text of the spell description to see if it states whether the cubes have to be connected or not. Remember that no part of the spell effect can exceed the spell range (so fireballs at max. range are not spherical).
Looking at the PHB (page 176 left column) we find:

Other: A spell can have a unique area, as defined in its description.
(S) Shapeable:If an Area or Effect entry ends with "(S)," you can shape the spell. A shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes. Three-dimensional volumes are most often needed to define aerial or underwater effects and areas.
Now there is no text explicitly stating that the 10' cubes have to be contiguous, so by RAW you can have disconnected cubes, but the English implies contiguity to a native English speaker so expect DM's to rule that you cannot.

Q 514a
Since you can always stack the cubes inside each other (and being covered by the area more than once has no extra game effect) the area can always be reduced to one 10' cube for this type of spell.

Cybris75
2013-07-18, 06:30 AM
Q 515

I cast slow at four enemies. My caster level is 12. Can I force all four to make three Will saving throws each?

Khedrac
2013-07-18, 07:40 AM
A 515
No - although you can target a creature more than once they can only be subject to the spell once so that means 1 saving throw. It also means that if they have spell-turning or are counter-spelling it is still one spell so they only have to turn it or counter-spell it once.

Darrin
2013-07-18, 10:07 AM
Q 516

Can creatures created/summoned via summon nature's ally (Core), conjure ice beast (Frostburn), or summon desert ally (Sandstorm) understand verbal commands?

SNA is a little different from summon monster because it generally doesn't slap a Celestial/Fiendish template on animals, which defaults Int = 3. By RAW, Int 3 = understands Common, unless there's something in the stat block that says otherwise.

I think the designers may have intended druids/rangers to use Animal Empathy or handle animal checks to direct SNAs to do what they want, but in practice I don't think anyone bothers with this level of tedium, and everyone just assumes "summoned = can understand verbal commands". The only text I can see that might address this is one sentence, PHB p. 172, under "Spell Descriptions - Conjuration":

Creatures you conjure usually, but not always, obey your commands.

If this was intended to make all conjurations understand verbal commands, then "usually" here is probably for bizarre circumstances (creature cannot hear/see/interract with caster due to environmental effects), or possibly for the DM to step in and determine that a command is ambiguous/gibberish/blatantly stupid.

However, even if we assume that all SM/SNA creatures can understand verbal commands, ice beasts and dustform creatures are mindless constructs. Was the intent here to treat them like golems, which are also mindless constructs, but can still follow verbal directions?

Both conjure ice beast and summon desert ally contain the following text:

If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

It's conditional, but doesn't actually say if the mindless constructs can be communicated with. Presumably, this means if you summon a demon that only understands Infernal or a water elemental that only understands Auquan, then you must speak those languages to communicate with it. If it's a celestial/fiendish creature with no language specified, then its language defaults to Common. But if all ice beasts/dustforms are automatically mindless, why include this sentence at all, since all ice beasts would be insensible to any communication?

Finally, conjure ice beast I (but not summon desert ally I) concludes with this text:

In all other ways, conjure ice beast I functions like summon monster I.

Is this a "grandfather clause" to get the same functionality as summon monster while still having the ice beasts as mindless?

Or am I way beyond overthinking this?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-18, 11:50 AM
A 516

It's some really unclear wording.

If "communicate" means that the summoner is capable of speaking to the creature (and isn't trapped in a silence spell or whatever), then you can command the creature as normal.

If "communicate" means that the summoned creature has to be capable of understanding your orders, then you need the ability to speak with whatever the creature is.

I believe that the first is the correct interpretation; the Ice Beast monster entry specifically discusses the orders you can give to it.

DeltaEmil
2013-07-18, 01:28 PM
Q 517

Are the Martial Arts Mastery styles in Oriental Adventures page 80-81 (Empty Hand, Mighty Works I + II, Foot and Fist, The Gentle Way, Meditation of War) feats, or do you gain the mastery automatically when fulfilling the prerequisites?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-18, 01:33 PM
A 517

You gain them automatically when you meet the prerequisites.

Darrin
2013-07-18, 01:47 PM
A 516
I believe that the first is the correct interpretation; the Ice Beast monster entry specifically discusses the orders you can give to it.

Ok, then at least for ice beasts the RAW is clear:

It is a mindless automaton that follows its creator’s orders. An ice beast resembles whatever creature it is modeled after in general shape and size, but it is composed entirely of pale blue ice.

An ice beast does only what it is ordered to do. It can draw no conclusions of its own and takes no initiative. Its instructions must always be simple, such as, "Attack that giant" or "Stay close and attack anyone who threatens me."

Summon Desert Ally has no such text. Instead it has:

Dustform creatures understand whatever languages they understood in life, though they can no longer speak them.

So... it's in the same boat as Summon Nature's Ally, really. Animals with Int = 2 don't speak a language and can't understand verbal commands in Common. A druid/ranger could use speak with animals to communicate (or use the whole Handle Animal/tricks thing), but I've never seen anyone actually demand this be used with SNA. Summon Desert Ally doesn't reference the SM or SNA tables, it uses its own table, so we can't pretend the creature was celestial/fiendish before.

Huh. I'm thinking this is one of those areas where "sticking to absolute literal RAW in this situation does not add anything pleasant or meaningful to the game, and should probably be discouraged".

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-18, 02:07 PM
Q 518

If my evil cleric has DR 15/good from his race, and then casts Righteous Might at CL 14, does his DR go up to 25/good? Or does it just overlap?

Urpriest
2013-07-18, 02:08 PM
Q 518

If my evil cleric has DR 15/good from his race, and then casts Righteous Might at CL 14, does his DR go up to 25/good? Or does it just overlap?

A 518

DR always overlaps unless otherwise stated.

DeltaEmil
2013-07-18, 02:22 PM
Q 519

Which books have martial arts style like in Oriental Adventures? I know of Dragon Magazine #315, are there any else?

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-07-18, 02:53 PM
These are grappling questions. I'm sorry.

Q520a
When and how does spiked armor deal damage in a grapple? The SRD simply says "You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons) on a successful grapple attack." Is this clarified anywhere?

By my reading, I would argue that it applies any time you deal unarmed strike damage (because the damage is described as "extra piercind damage", it must be in addition to some other damage) which would include when you first establish a hold with an opposed grapple check and when you use the Damage Your Opponent option in subsequent rounds. I think "on a successful grapple attack" could also be read to mean "when you sucessfully hit (or possibly successfully damage) your oppoenent while grappling" which would also allow the spike damage to be added with the Attack Your Opponent (which an unarmed strike, light weapon or natural weapon) option. Is there anywhere that clearly supports or refutes any of these interpretations?

Q520b
I find the rule that "you can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons" a little problematic. I assume it's either referring to the Two-Weapon Fighting special attack rather than simply using two weapons or only forbids using two weapons as part of a single Attack Your Opponent action (as it's listed under that secction in the rules). (So that a character with high enough base attack bonus to use two attacks in a turn could attack with one weapon, see that it was ineffective and attack with another weapon, such as a natural weapon he doesn't need to use an action to draw/ready.) Is this reading reasonable?

Darrin
2013-07-18, 02:58 PM
Q 519

Which books have martial arts style like in Oriental Adventures? I know of Dragon Magazine #315, are there any else?

A 519

The rules for Martial Arts styles in Oriental Adventures and Dragon Magazine #315 have never been reprinted anywhere else.

However, it sounds like you may be looking for the Monk Variant: Fighting Styles printed on pages 52-53 in Unearthed Arcana (and thus appear in the related section of the SRD). All of these fighting styles appeared in Dragon Magazine #310.

There were additional fighting styles printed in subsequent issues, using the same format, but none of these were included in Unearthed Arcana:

Dragon #334:
Kyokushinkai Karate
Wing Chun Kuen
Wushu

Dragon #337:
Metered Style

Dragon Magazine #346:
Sacred Path of Heironeous
Sacred Path of Hextor
Sacred Path of Moradin
Sacred Path of St. Cuthbert
Sacred Path of Wee Jas
Sacred Path of Yondalla

Curmudgeon
2013-07-18, 04:27 PM
A 520b

You are prohibited by RAW from attacking with two weapons while grappling. Armor spikes are one weapon. Thus any round you use armor spikes while grappling you may not use any other weapon. (There is no "reasonable" reading here; just what the rules actually say.) You may use unarmed strikes.
unarmed strike

A successful blow, typically dealing nonlethal damage, from a character attacking without weapons.
A 520a
Armor Spikes

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons) on a successful grapple attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them.
An enhancement bonus to a suit of armor does not improve the spikes’ effectiveness, but the spikes can be made into magic weapons in their own right. You do not automatically add piercing damage unless you succeed on a grapple attack, and the attack modifier for armor spikes is different from that for your unarmed strike. (The "normal" damage available to a grappler is nonlethal bludgeoning damage. The lethal piercing damage from armor spikes is, from that standpoint, "extra".) The only grapple option available which matches "grapple attack" with a weapon is Attack Your Opponent. Normally this does not allow an attack with a non-light martial weapon, but the description of armor spikes creates a specific exception for their use. Armor spikes, despite being substantially larger than normal light weapons, count as a light weapon.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-07-18, 06:45 PM
A 520b

You are prohibited by RAW from attacking with two weapons while grappling. Armor spikes are one weapon. Thus any round you use armor spikes while grappling you may not use any other weapon. (There is no "reasonable" reading here; just what the rules actually say.) You may use unarmed strikes.
A 520a You do not automatically add piercing damage unless you succeed on a grapple attack, and the attack modifier for armor spikes is different from that for your unarmed strike. (The "normal" damage available to a grappler is nonlethal bludgeoning damage. The lethal piercing damage from armor spikes is, from that standpoint, "extra".) The only grapple option available which matches "grapple attack" with a weapon is Attack Your Opponent. Normally this does not allow an attack with a martial weapon, but the description of armor spikes creates a specific exception for their use.

Q 520c (clarification of 520a)
If the attack with armor spikes is entirely in place of (rather than in addition to) an attack of some other form, in what way are the spikes dealing "extra" damage, as the weapon description says? When the flaming weapon enhancement says "a flaming weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit", you don't interpret the 1d6 points of fire damage as replacing the weapon's own slashing/bludgeoning/piercing damage, do you?
Where are you getting "Normally this does not allow an attack with a martial weapon"? The grapple rules only say you must use a light (or natural) weapon. There's not a single mention at all of martial weapons (or simple or exotic ones for that matter) and there are several weapons that are both light and martial (kukris and short swords, for example, not to mention armor spikes).

Q 520d (clarification of 520d)
Can you give any RAW basis for interpreting "You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons." on a per round basis? The way it's worded, it could just as easilly be read per action (as I do) or going the opposite direction to say that you can only use one weapon in any given grapple. Heck, since there's no period of time on "You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling", why wouldn't this be interpreted as an absolute, duration-free, "only one weapon, ever" rule, strictly RAW?
The rule is vague almost to the point of being meaningless and I'm asking if anything makes it less so. Is there anything actually written in the rules to support applying this limitation round-by-round?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-18, 07:09 PM
A 520c (clarification of 520a)

If the attack with armor spikes is entirely in place of (rather than in addition to) an attack of some other form, in what way are the spikes dealing "extra" damage, as the weapon description says?
This was already answered:
The "normal" damage available to a grappler is nonlethal bludgeoning damage. The lethal piercing damage from armor spikes is, from that standpoint, "extra".

Where are you getting "Normally this does not allow an attack with a martial weapon"?
That was my error; I got distracted and posted before finishing the explanation. The original post has been edited, with clarifications added in red. I apologize for the confusion.

A 520d (clarification of 520d)
Can you give any RAW basis for interpreting "You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons." on a per round basis? The way it's worded, it could just as easilly be read per action (as I do) ...
These are the same, excepting some special abilities which alter the normal actions available in a round. You can either use a standard action for a single grapple check in place of an attack, or a full-round action for as many grapple checks as you are allowed attacks in a full attack. In either case, you are allowed only one action in the round which permits you to make grapple attacks. The limitation of attacking with only one weapon while grappling then becomes a limitation for the round.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-07-18, 08:12 PM
A 520c (clarification of 520a)
This was already answered:

That was my error; I got distracted and posted before finishing the explanation. The original post has been edited, with clarifications added in red. I apologize for the confusion.

A 520d (clarification of 520d)
These are the same, excepting some special abilities which alter the normal actions available in a round. You can either use a standard action for a single grapple check in place of an attack, or a full-round action for as many grapple checks as you are allowed attacks in a full attack. In either case, you are allowed only one action in the round which permits you to make grapple attacks. The limitation of attacking with only one weapon while grappling then becomes a limitation for the round.Okay. I'm going to try this one more time. You're quoting around and ignoring the central points of my questions. I am underlining the parts I want answered. Please quote and respond to them. I am asking for citations. Book names and page numbers, SRD links, anything that shows that what you're saying is actually from the rules rather than just being your interpretation. If you can't give any citation for what you're saying, just say so and I'll appreciate your honesty but please don't just tell me "this is how it works" and try to leave it at that; it's not what I'm looking for and it's not a helpful answer.

Q 520e (final clarification to Q 520a)
When the rules refer to "extra" damage, they refer to damage in addition to other damage not in place of it. The "extra damage" from a sneak attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm) sneak attack doesn't replace the base damage. (A derro (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/derro.htm)'s racial sneak attack for example deals "+1d6" damage, not just "1d6".) Neither does the "extra 1d6 of fire damage" from a flaming (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#flaming) weapon. (Note that the Balor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#balor)'s +1 Faming whip does both the 1d4 whip damage and the 1d6 fire damage.) When an attack's damage die is replaced entirely (such as by the monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm) class's unarmed strike damage progression) the word "extra" is nowhere to be seen.

Is there any RAW basis for treating the "extra piercing damage" when grappling from spiked armor as a replacement to normal grappling damage rather than an addition, even though every other instance of "extra damage" is an addition?

Q 520f (final clarification to Q 520b)
Your previous answer ignores the fact that it is possible to make multiple things in one round while grappling, which aren't necessarily the same but are each referred to as an "action". Quoting the rules, from here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple):

If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.
So I will ask again:
Is there anything actually written in the rules to support applying the "can't attack with two weapons while grappling" limitation round-by-round, even though it's written as a limitation of a particular action ("Attack Your Opponent") rather than a limitation of grappling as a whole?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-18, 11:39 PM
A 520e (final clarification to Q 520a)

Is there any RAW basis for treating the "extra piercing damage" when grappling from spiked armor as a replacement to normal grappling damage rather than an addition, even though every other instance of "extra damage" is an addition?
Yes. The armor spikes weapon has its own attack bonus, its own weapon enhancements, and its own penalties for nonproficiency "when you try to use them". You would be ignoring all of those RAW elements if the damage is automatically "extra" when using some other attack in a grapple. You must "try to use them" and succeed, as specified in the item description, to add that extra piercing damage.

A 520f (final clarification to Q 520b)

Already answered.

TypoNinja
2013-07-19, 05:01 AM
Q521

So I'm a little fuzzy on the 3.0 to 3.5 precedence rules.

Its my understanding that 3.0 stuff should work just fine with only minor adjustments to change the way some things function (like say DR), and if a book was never reprinted as 3.5 the 3.0 stuff should be just fine.

What about if two sources disagree? How do I determine what is the Primary Source?

In 3.0 only it would have been simple, newer more specific material can overrule the older general rules. But with 3.5 reprints the core book is now the newer printing than the old splatbook with the different rule.

How do I place old 3.0 splatbooks that haven't been reprinted in rules precedence?

Ashtagon
2013-07-19, 05:04 AM
A521

Where a 3.5 book disagrees with a 3.0 book, the 3.5 book takes precedence.

TypoNinja
2013-07-19, 05:18 AM
A521

Where a 3.5 book disagrees with a 3.0 book, the 3.5 book takes precedence.

Why? That declaration doesn't seem to address Specific vs General at all. Or explain how I determine primary source.

Chronos
2013-07-19, 05:44 AM
If a 3.5 book disagrees with the 3.0 material, then bringing the 3.0 material in line with that would be one of the "minor adjustments" needed.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-19, 06:22 AM
A 521 additional info

In 3.5 D&D the primary source books are the three 3.5 books with "CORE RULEBOOK <Roman Numeral> v.3.5" on the front cover: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual.

In addition to obvious replacements (same name as older content), D&D has a few listed replacements with different names. You'll find a list of renamed spells in Spell Compendium on pages 5-6. There is also an online list of official replacements from the early days of 3.5 here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x) where feats, prestige classes, and spells from 3.0 are shown next to their 3.5 replacements. For instance, the 3.5 Exotic Weapon Master replaces all of the following 3.0 prestige classes:

Exotic Weapon Master
Master of Chains
Weapon Master
3.0 content which has an official 3.5 replacement is no longer compatible with the 3.5 update of D&D.

Malimar
2013-07-19, 03:39 PM
Q522
Does the Intimidate skill work on mindless creatures?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-19, 04:51 PM
A 522

SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm)

A character immune to fear can’t be intimidated, nor can nonintelligent creatures.

Nope.

unseenmage
2013-07-19, 09:28 PM
Q523

Can an unintelligent undead or construct use the Use Magic Device skill to activate a scroll or wand?

Kornaki
2013-07-19, 09:44 PM
A 523
No. From
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm

Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

Constructs have a similar line. Use magic device is a trained only skill, so if the undead or construct is mindless and has no skill points it cannot make a use magic device check.

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-19, 09:44 PM
A 523

SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm)

You must consciously choose which requirement to emulate.

So, no. You have to choose what to do with the skill, which you obviously can't do if you're unintelligent.

Lateral
2013-07-19, 11:35 PM
By the way, there was a numbering error a while back, so:

Q 525

Are there any official rules for exorcizing a ghost with the Malevolence ability (see SRD)? If so, then please cite book and page number.

Q 526

How does a ghost manifest onto the Material Plane or return to the Ethereal Plane? They have the Manifestation ability, but I can't find what action it would be to shift back and forth.

And, again, a few that were missed. Sorry, they're a bit urgent.

Q 509

Does a ghost get iteratives with its draining touch, or alternatively, is it treated as a natural weapon (i.e. added onto an attack routine at -5)?

Also, since these seem to have been missed:

Q 502

Q 503

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-20, 02:38 AM
Q 527

If a multiclassed sorcerer/shadowcaster takes the shadow familiar feat does the shadow familiar replace the familiar granted by sorcerer or can the character obtain two familiars?

cd4
2013-07-20, 05:45 AM
Q528 Is there any way to create a construct with an arm cannon? I don't mind whether it is a creature with one already or a graft/feat/item that can be added to a construct.

Kred
2013-07-20, 01:14 PM
Q529
Synad's Multitask
With this ability Synad can make 2 swift action per round?

Jon_Dahl
2013-07-20, 02:16 PM
Q530

Is there any way to identify diseases?

For example: There's goo on the ground. There's valuable loot on the goo. In fact this man/woman has been killed by slimy doom disease. Touching the stuff will infect you and ruin your upcoming day. Is there any way to realize this?

Khatoblepas
2013-07-20, 02:36 PM
Q 526

How does a ghost manifest onto the Material Plane or return to the Ethereal Plane? They have the Manifestation ability, but I can't find what action it would be to shift back and forth.

Standard action.

Manifestation (Su): A ghost on the Ethereal Plane can partially enter the Material Plane at will.

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance. Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise and generally does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Q528 Is there any way to create a construct with an arm cannon? I don't mind whether it is a creature with one already or a graft/feat/item that can be added to a construct.

Warforged with a Wand Chamber.

Wand Sheath: (Embedded Component) This narrow sheath is embedded in the forearm and hand of a warforged, occupying the space of a bracer. The warforged can insert a wand into the sheathe whereupon it merges with the warforged body. Once inserted, it cannot be removed until all of the charges are used up. Any character that could normally activate the wand can do so simply by pointing his finger and thinking about activating it. Faint transmutation; CL 4; Craft wonderous item, craft wand; polymorph; price 4000gps.

Q529
Synad's Multitask
With this ability Synad can make 2 swift action per round?

Yes, the text states you gain an extra swift action to do purely mental tasks with. Using Multitask is not an action, so you have a net gain of 1 swift action.

Q 525

Are there any official rules for exorcizing a ghost with the Malevolence ability (see SRD)? If so, then please cite book and page number.

Sacred Exorcist has an exorcism ability, it can use it at will, apparently.

Exorcism (Su): As a full-round action, a sacred exorcist can force a possessing creature or spirit out of the body it inhabits. To exorcise a possessing creature, the exorcist makes a class level check (also adding her Charisma modifier, if any), against a DC of 10 + the possessing creature's HD + its Charisma modifier (if any). If the exorcist's result equals or exceeds the DC, she succeeds in forcing the possessor from the body, with the normal results based on its method of possession. A spirit so exorcised cannot attempt to possess the same victim for 24 hours.

Q 509

It's a natural weapon. As seen here, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm) dread wraiths have Improved Natural Attack (incorporeal touch attack).

Q531
What happens if a Ghost plane shifts to a plane that is not connected to the ethereal planes, like the outer planes? Does it become corporeal?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-20, 02:59 PM
A 530 Usually no.

The Knowledge (nature) skill would let you identify plant-based diseases, but most communicable disease agents are prokaryotes or viruses rather than animals or plants. Knowledge (dungeoneering) would let you identify infectious oozes. The Appraise skill would let you determine if the goo has some resale value (as a nasty weapon, for instance) but not elicit any other details.

While disease identification is difficult, bypassing diseases is fairly easy. Purify Food and Drink will remove contaminating substances from organic goo, leaving pure water and whatever is safely digestible from the biomass. (You might end up with "cannibal paste" if the goo is the diseased remains of people, but that's a moral problem rather than a health issue.)

Lateral
2013-07-20, 03:20 PM
Q 525 Con't.

Okay, but are there any rules for exorcising ghosts that don't require a specific prestige class?

kaaskeizer
2013-07-20, 07:44 PM
Q 532 ; are there any easier ways to get supreme cleave instead of having to take 2-3 levels in a random class?

Q 533 ; what are good steps to take after grabbing a keen weapon, taking improved, greater and savage critical?

kaaskeizer
2013-07-20, 07:53 PM

take a (half?) iron golem, replace one of its limbs with a bombard from stormwrack with returning ammunition...
ull still have a problem with needing crew to fire the thing :smallbiggrin:
better option would be a firespout wich does 6 d 6 dmg in a line..... but again, it needs reloading for 5 rounds done by a crew member (aka random hired/dominated goon)

or try modern era weapons from the DM guide (p 146)

Andezzar
2013-07-20, 08:10 PM
Q 532 ; are there any easier ways to get supreme cleave instead of having to take 2-3 levels in a random class?

A 532

No. supreme cleave is a Class Feature, not a Feat.

Q 533 ; what are good steps to take after grabbing a keen weapon, taking improved, greater and savage critical?

A 533

I never heard about the latter two feats and build advice is beyond the scope of this thread. Additionally Keen does not stack with Improved Critical.

kaaskeizer
2013-07-20, 08:16 PM
Q 527

If a multiclassed sorcerer/shadowcaster takes the shadow familiar feat does the shadow familiar replace the familiar granted by sorcerer or can the character obtain two familiars?

A 527 i believe you keep the same one.. however, your familiar will start changing over a couple of days gaining the dark template
fyi the extra familiar feat from the Net Book of Feats (NBoF) allows you to have multiple familiars (unless ur DM doesn't allow this as source of course)

aslo..

A 533

I never heard about the latter two feats and build advice is beyond the scope of this thread. Additionally Keen does not stack with Improved Critical.

oh noes!! =(

kaaskeizer
2013-07-20, 08:48 PM
Q 534
are there any other ways to move after cleaving besides supreme cleave?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-20, 09:06 PM
A 534 Yes.

A 19th level Barbarian with the Streetfighter ACF (found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), in a Cityscape web expansion) gains a "cleaving charge".

DementedFellow
2013-07-20, 09:30 PM
Q 535

Is it possible to change from worshiping one deity to another? How about worshiping an ideal and then changing worship to a deity?

Petrocorus
2013-07-20, 09:49 PM
Q 536

Does several Bardic Music effects can stack? For example, can you stack 2 Inspire Greatness effects made by two different bard at the same time to gain 4+ HD?

Hacdieu
2013-07-21, 12:52 AM
Q 537
For weapon enchantments, if I stack 2 different +1 enchantments onto the same weapon; does it become a +2 with those two abilities or just +1 with two abilities?

Ex: +1 defender and +1 keen on a sword. Would it be +2 Keen defender, or a +1 Keen defender?

My D.M. was unclear and the books kind of didn't mention it out of what I read...though I may have missed it.

eggynack
2013-07-21, 01:13 AM
A 537:
Weapon enchantments don't really work like that. You get a +1 weapon, and then you put keen on it, making it an effective +2 weapon, and then you put defender on it, making it an effective +3 weapon. +1 defender isn't a single enchantment; it's two discrete enchantments. Thus, you'd be left with a +1 keen defending weapon, and it would be priced as a +3. Alternatively, you could make it a +2 keen defending weapon at your discretion, by tossing a standard enchantment bonus onto it. If that's what you want, it's a thing you can have, and it'd be priced as a +4 weapon. Also note that you can only put these non-standard enchantments after you've already put the +1 on. Thus, a keen defending weapon without a +1 attached is an impossibility. I think that covers everything.

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 02:14 AM
Q 538

As a Kensai do you have to enchant your signature weapon with +5 before being allowed to add special abilities?

Q 539

Is the cost of imbuing an Unarmed Strike as a Signature Weapon 110% as the rule says or 120% as per the example?

Q 540

Can a monk imbue his Unarmed Strike for the cost of a manufactured weapon or is the cost infinite as every part of the monk's body is a natural weapon?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-21, 02:27 AM
A 535 Ask your DM.
Ex-Clerics

A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description). Any change of your fundamental principles would require DM adjudication, since that's not squarely addressed in the RAW. Complete Divine talks about sects and schisms within the followers of a deity, but not outright conversion. The Atonement spell might offer some insight, but it only directly handles changes in alignment rather than deity.

A 536 No.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Two instances of Inspire Greatness don't stack. In D&D, "source" refers to a named ability, such as a spell or class feature. You can't stack two instances of Inspire Greatness from different Bards any more than you can stack two instances of the Bless spell from different Clerics.

A 539 120%.
For example, a human kensai who has Weapon Focus (unarmed strike) may turn his fists into signature weapons for 120% of the XP cost. That's in the text of the rules rather than an example character, so it's the letter of the RAW.

A 540

That would be effectively infinite. The Kensai Signature Weapon ability, as written, cannot be used to enhance the entirety of your unarmed strike; it directly affects only particular striking surfaces. (This would be logistically akin to individually enhancing the many various blunt and pointed bits of a morningstar.) Fists aren't normally weapons in the game, and this text is inconsistent with the treatment of unarmed strikes elsewhere in the RAW, but the hierarchy of D&D rules have specifics overriding general principles. Your Kensai character would necessarily need to keep track of which parts of their body they use for each unarmed strike, and treat those surfaces with Signature Weapon enhancements differently.

Khedrac
2013-07-21, 02:37 AM
Q 534
are there any other ways to move after cleaving besides supreme cleave?
A 534 I think you may have misunderstood the rules of moving and attacks an cleaves.

Normally one can either make a single attack (as a standard action) and a move in a round or make multiple attacks (as a full attack/full round action) and take a single 5' step (at any point in the round).

Cleave attacks are "non-actions" and do not count as attacks for the purposes of changing a standard action single attack into a full round action full attack.

So with cleave (assuming every hit drops a foe) the options for a standard action single attack become:
move, attack, cleave
or
attack, cleave, move

Great Cleave makes this:
move, attack, cleave, repeat cleave until no foes
or
attack, cleave, repeat cleave, move

If the move becomes a move-equivalent action (that does not involve moving) then a 5' step may be added at any point except before a cleave.
Supreme Cleave enabled the 5' step to be taken before a cleave. Many people argue that it allows extra 5' steps in a round, I disagree but that is a topic for a different thread.

Full attacks are a bit different: (Assuming 2 attacks)
attack, cleave, attack
or
attack, attack, cleave

with Great Cleave
attack, cleave, (cleave,) attack, cleave, (cleave)
again the 5' step cannot be taken before a cleave - it must be first, last or before a normal attack.
Supreme Cleave removes the restriction on 5' steps.

So yes, one can always move after a cleave if you haven't yet moved in the round, the question on whether it is a 5' step or a move depends on how many attacks you have made.

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 02:52 AM
Full attacks are a bit different: (Assuming 2 attacks)
attack, cleave, attack
or
attack, attack, cleave

with Great Cleave
attack, cleave, (cleave,) attack, cleave, (cleave)
again the 5' step cannot be taken before a cleave - it must be first, last or before a normal attack.
Supreme Cleave removes the restriction on 5' steps.
You forgot the option to take a 5 ft step between regular attacks so you can also take a 5ft step before the first attack, after the cleave or after the second attack, just not between a regular attack and a cleave.

Hacdieu
2013-07-21, 04:17 AM
Q 541 (537 Cont.)

Weapon enchantments don't really work like that. You get a +1 weapon, and then you put keen on it, making it an effective +2 weapon, and then you put defender on it, making it an effective +3 weapon. +1 defender isn't a single enchantment; it's two discrete enchantments. Thus, you'd be left with a +1 keen defending weapon, and it would be priced as a +3. Alternatively, you could make it a +2 keen defending weapon at your discretion, by tossing a standard enchantment bonus onto it. If that's what you want, it's a thing you can have, and it'd be priced as a +4 weapon. Also note that you can only put these non-standard enchantments after you've already put the +1 on. Thus, a keen defending weapon without a +1 attached is an impossibility. I think that covers everything.

So for Ex: I have a +1 Spiked Gauntlet already in possession, And wish for +1 Defending and +1 Keen; It would rank itself as a +1 Keen Defending. Will it get a +3 enhancement bonus or just +1 now?
Just making sure I get everything covered for my next session.

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 04:28 AM
A 541

Special Abilities only cost as if they were enhancement bonuses, they do not actually grant an Enhancement Bonus to attack or damage.
A +1 keen defending weapon does exactly what the name says: It is a magic weapon, it gives a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage, its crit range is doubled and you can forgo the +1 enhancement bonus to get +1 AC.

You might want to clear with your DM that you can put the defending ability on a spiked gauntlet. By strict reading it can only be applied to swords.

TuggyNE
2013-07-21, 04:34 AM
A541 further clarification: You wouldn't wish (or wish, as the case may be) for "+1 Defending" and "+1 Keen", because those don't exist as individual units. Instead, you could wish for Defending and Keen to be added, making the result a +1 Defending Keen weapon (with a +3-equivalent price), or do that and also wish for the enhancement bonus to be increased, which would make the result a +2 Defending Keen weapon, +3 Defending Keen, or whatever.

The only connections between enhancement bonuses like +3 and weapon specials like Keen are pricing (the total effective bonus is summed and the result looked up on the table), maximum price (200000gp or +10, not counting weapon materials, masterwork, or base cost), and minimum enhancement bonus to be enchanted (+1).

Kred
2013-07-21, 05:14 AM
Q542

Telekinetic Thrust power
Hurling a foe 50 feet away will damage him for 5d6 or only 1d6?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-21, 05:54 AM
A 542 No damage or 1d6, depending.
If you use this power to hurl a creature against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points). If you hurl a foe 50' but not against a solid surface they take no damage. If you manage to make them hit a solid surface they take 1d6.

Kred
2013-07-21, 06:52 AM
Q543

Energy Conversion power
What will be the maximum damage at 15th lvl? (numerically)

TuggyNE
2013-07-21, 07:37 AM
Q543

Energy Conversion power
What will be the maximum damage at 15th lvl? (numerically)

A543: I'm not quite sure what you're asking; the maximum any given ray can discharge is 3 * ML 15, or 45, but the maximum the power can do is almost unlimited (essentially, if you have enough energy input, you could do 45 * the number of standard actions in 150 minutes, which is quite a lot).

lycantrope
2013-07-21, 09:14 AM
Q544 are there rules in place for making items with non-enhancement, non-competence skill bonuses? For example, an item with +10 insight to truespeak.

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 11:17 AM
Q 545

Where can I find Rule 0?

Karnith
2013-07-21, 11:46 AM
Q 545

Where can I find Rule 0?
A 545

Rule 0 ("The DM is always right") is a famous unwritten rule of tabletop gaming in general; it is never defined or referred to as such in the rules. However, check the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 6, where the role of a Dungeon Master as adjudicator of the rules is discussed ("you're the final arbiter of the rules within the game"), and page 14, where the book explicitly says that it's okay for the Dungeon Master to change the rules of the game.

Khatoblepas
2013-07-21, 12:05 PM
Q544 are there rules in place for making items with non-enhancement, non-competence skill bonuses? For example, an item with +10 insight to truespeak.

A544

Not that I know of, but the Artificer Infusion Item Alteration can do this temporarily.

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 12:18 PM
Q 546

Is there somewhere a rule (which I thought to be Rule 0) along the lines of "this is a game, it is supposed to be fun for all involved. The rules are more like guidelines, change them if the change would be more fun for your group" in any of the D&D books?

Khedrac
2013-07-21, 12:35 PM
A 538 No. Like any magic weapon you have to enchant it to +1 before you can add any other ability.

A 539 and A540

OK it's badly worded in the book, but basically a monk Kensai imbues specific natural weapons at the listed cost of 100% + 10% for each weapon imbued. The example is 120% because it is two fists.
The twist then comes when a monk Kensai wants to use his (or her) unarmed strike. Unarmed Strike does not specify a body part because any part of the body can be used - thus having hands full does not prevent unarmed strikes. However with a Kensai one now needs to know which part of the body is being used for the strike!
With the example monk who imbues his fists, if his fists are full because he is carrying something (or unavailable because they are tied up) then he cannot use his signature weapon when making an unarmed strike, though the strike can be made as normal - headbutt or kick etc.
Then to add to that headache we get the rule that one must imbue all equivalent body parts - so no imbued right fist with a normal left fist - both fists, feet etc. must be imbued together, hence the 120% price.
A Marilith monk kensai (difficult but I can't think of a six armed devil) going for fists has to imbue all 6 (at 160%) as per the six-armed monk kensai example.

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 01:35 PM
Re: A 539 & 540

My problem is that the example of the Unarmed Strike costing 120% for a character with two arms directly contradicts the actual rule (100%+10% per natural weapon of the same type). An Unarmed Strike only ever is one weapon, regardless how many appendages can be employed in its use.

Additionally the Monk's rules say "A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons." Imbuing the Unarmed Strike per Signature Weapon obviously is an effect that enhances weapons. So he should be able to treat his Unarmed Strike as a manufactured weapon i.e. 100% cost. He cannot however designate only certain parts of his body to count as a signature weapon, because he must always imbue all natural weapons of the same type.

Kred
2013-07-21, 02:50 PM
Q547
Does warlock's Eldritch Blast (Complete Arcane) hits with negative energy?

Andezzar
2013-07-21, 03:22 PM
Q 547

No. it is regular magical damage

Zombimode
2013-07-21, 03:28 PM
Q 548

Crusader's delayed damage pool and damage reduction:

A crusader with an empty pool and, say, 5 points of DR takes damage. What happens?

1. Damage is reduced by the DR and then the crusader splits the remaining damage on his HP and/or pool.
2. Crusader splits the damage on his HP and/or pool. Then the DR applies.
3. Something else?

Second question. Following the above example, it is now the end of the crusaders next turn. He would take an amount of damage equal to his pool. What happens?

1. DR applies.
2. DR does not apply.

Urpriest
2013-07-21, 03:29 PM
Q547
Does warlock's Eldritch Blast (Complete Arcane) hits with negative energy?

A 547

No singular noun can be described to "hits" anything, so your question is meaningless.

Had you phrased your question in a way consistent with how people communicate on this board, the answer would still be no. A warlock's blast is by default explicitly untyped.

Thurbane
2013-07-22, 12:46 AM
Q 549

Can an Imp familiar speak in Common (or any other language), when in it's Raven form?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-22, 01:05 AM
A 549

No, ravens normally can't talk. Only raven familiars not familiars in the form of a raven can talk.

CRtwenty
2013-07-22, 01:09 AM
A 549

No, ravens normally can't talk. Only raven familiars not familiars in the form of a raven can talk.

Corect, the Imp would become a normal Raven using it's Alter Self ability and thus would not gain the ability to speak vocally. However it would still be able to communicate using its Telepathy.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-22, 01:23 AM
A 549 No.
Except when otherwise noted, devils speak Infernal, Celestial, and Draconic. An Imp doesn't know Common. Improved Familiar (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 200) doesn't grant the familiar any language capabilities. The master-level-dependent abilities of any familiar, such as Speak with Master (Player's Handbook, pages 52-53), do not provide proficiency in any normal language. The Imp's Alternate Form (Monster Manual, page 305; plus Errata File, pages 1-2) does not grant any speech capabilities. The Raven Animal description (Monster Manual, page 278) does not ascribe any language proficiency to them.

SethoMarkus
2013-07-22, 10:10 AM
Q 550

This is a question regarding poisons from natural attacks and saving throws. Let's say a spider has a bite attack with a poison secondary effect. A character bitten by the spider needs to make a Fort save for ever attack the spider lands on them. What happens if the character is already being affected by the poison?

I understand that the initial damage would occur each attack on a failed save, but what about the secondary damage that happens a minute later? Does that only occur once, or is it a separate save for each time the character was bitten?

Thanks!

Curmudgeon
2013-07-22, 11:34 AM
A 550

Unless stated otherwise, damage always stacks in the D&D game. You can be poisoned (take ability damage) repeatedly, and that entails a chance of secondary damage for every attack.

SethoMarkus
2013-07-22, 11:41 AM
A 550

Unless stated otherwise, damage always stacks in the D&D game. You can be poisoned (take ability damage) repeatedly, and that entails a chance of secondary damage for every attack.

Thank you! That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. It is a Str damage poison and the character being bitten has low Str to begin with so I wanted to make sure that everything was legal.

123456789blaaa
2013-07-22, 11:56 AM
Q 551

If a warforged Alter Self's into an Animated Object, do they get to choose what material they're made out of? If not, than what material would they be made out of?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-22, 12:14 PM
A 551 Ask your DM.

"Animated Object" is a category rather than the usual detailed description of a monster's capabilities. As such, it's entirely the individual DM's discretion what specific objects they allow in that category. Some DMs will allow just the objects referenced in the spell description (carpet, tapestry, rope, vine, rug, statue, ladder, table, chair).

Kred
2013-07-22, 02:23 PM
Q552
Two-Weapon Fighting
Can i apply this feat to the natural attacks?

Andezzar
2013-07-22, 02:58 PM
A 552

No.

Kred
2013-07-22, 03:20 PM
A 552

No.

Why not?...

Andezzar
2013-07-22, 03:26 PM
Why not?...Because the rules require weapons in the character's hands, not that the character's hands (or other body parts) are weapons:
You can fight with a weapon in each hand. You can make one extra attack each round with the second weapon.

Karnith
2013-07-22, 03:42 PM
Why not?...
A 552 Con't

The Monster Manual clarifies how creatures with natural weapons and manufactured weapons attack on page 299 (there is no equivalent SRD text that I am aware of).

If a creature has both a manufactured weapon and natural weapons, it usually uses its manufactured weapon as its primary attack (and receives multiple attacks with that weapon, if its base attack bonus is +6 or higher), and uses its natural weapons as secondary attack (-5 penalty on attack rolls, and 1/2 Strength bonus on damage rolls). While a humanoid fighting with two weapons takes a -2 penalty (or worse) on its primary attack, a monster fighting with a handheld weapon and a natural weapon at the same time does not take this penalty - the natural weapon is a secondary attack, and that's all.
(Emphasis mine)

You can mix attacks with natural weapons in with attacks with manufactured weapons, but doing so does not involve the two-weapon fighting rules; you simply make your attacks with manufactured weapons at your normal BAB, and then you make your natural attacks as secondary attacks (i.e. at a -5 penalty and only adding half your Strength bonus to the damage).

Sylian
2013-07-22, 06:10 PM
Q 553

If an Incantatrix uses Cooperative Metamagic to enhance an allies' spell, does she suffer a -5 penalty to the Spellcraft check if the spell is from a banned school?

D20ragon
2013-07-22, 06:19 PM
Q#554 what happens if two spheres of anihilation collide?

Flame of Anor
2013-07-22, 07:38 PM
A 554

Nothing happens.

The effect of a sphere of annihilation is this:

Any matter that comes in contact with a sphere is instantly sucked into the void, gone, and utterly destroyed.

And the sphere itself is described thus:

A sphere of annihilation is...a ball of nothingness...a hole in the continuity of the multiverse.

As such, it is clearly not matter. Matter is clearly specified as the only thing affected by a sphere, so the other sphere--not being matter--is not affected.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-22, 07:56 PM
Q 555

If you have some way to move as a free/swift action (e.g.- Sudden Leap, Travel Devotion), can you use it between attacks in a full attack?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-22, 08:09 PM
A 555 No.

The full attack action has a special restriction:
The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

Petrocorus
2013-07-22, 08:17 PM
Q 556

The description of the plane shift spell says: " From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination."
But when one uses the spell to come back to the material plane, does he appear where he wants or do we use the same rule?

TuggyNE
2013-07-22, 08:44 PM
A556: There is an offset on arrival in all cases. The previous sentence ("Precise accuracy as to a particular arrival location on the intended plane is nigh impossible.") clarifies that all destination planes, including the Material, have a built-in error. The spell text does not strictly link the provided calculation of 5d% to the offset when not traveling from the Material, but such is a reasonable use, in the absence of any other offset calculation.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-22, 09:41 PM
Q557

Can my shaper command his astral construct to manifest a power utilizing a soul crystal? Soul crystal's description was very vague on just who is qualified to use one.

The Viscount
2013-07-22, 10:15 PM
Q558
Would multiple sources of fast healing overlap or stack?

Howler Dagger
2013-07-23, 12:17 AM
Q559
What skill would be used for crafting crossbow bolts, and what would be the DC?

Shaynythyryas
2013-07-23, 01:50 AM
Q560

It only recently dawned on me that a touch attack made for a spell could crit.

My Anarchic initiate deals up to 48D6 with a crystal shard, which requires a ranged touch attack : if it crits, does she really deal 96D6 ?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-23, 02:42 AM
A 558 Usually overlap.

The description of the fast healing ability specifies:
At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description). Most instances of fast healing share this characteristic of a fixed, non-additive number, so you would heal HP equal to the highest number from all instances. You would need a specific statement that the fast healing ability stacks instead, such as this one from Fast Healing [Epic]:
Benefit: You gain fast healing 3, or your existing fast healing increases by 3. This feat does not stack with fast healing granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects.
A 559

Craft (bowmaking) is the skill used for both bows and ammunition. The DC to Craft any typical item is 10.

A 560 Yes.

If you're within the Close range required for Crystal Shard and roll a natural 20 to hit, your damage is doubled.

TuggyNE
2013-07-23, 03:32 AM
A 559

Craft (bowmaking) is the skill used for both bows and ammunition. The DC to Craft any typical item is 10.

A559 continued: While I don't doubt this is (or at least should be) correct, I can't seem to find the actual text that indicates what subskill is used for ammunition, either in general or specifically.

Note, also, that crossbows are explicitly stated to be Craft (weaponsmithing), not Craft (bowmaking).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-23, 03:48 AM
A559 continued: While I don't doubt this is (or at least should be) correct, I can't seem to find the actual text that indicates what subskill is used for ammunition, either in general or specifically.

Note, also, that crossbows are explicitly stated to be Craft (weaponsmithing), not Craft (bowmaking).

A 559 continued

The relevant text, for arrows at least, isn't in the SRD but is in the PHB under the craft skill.

...When casting the spell minor creation (page 253), you must succeed on an appropriate Craft check to make a complex item. For instance, a successful Craft (bowmaking) check might be required to make straight arrow shafts...

Curmudgeon
2013-07-23, 03:55 AM
A 559 continued

Arms and Equipment Guide specifies a Fletcher uses Craft (bowmaking) on page 62. Then we just need standard dictionary lookups for fletcher (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fletcher?s=t&path=/) and bolt (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bolt?&path=/):
fletcher
-noun

a person who makes arrows.
bolt
-noun

9. an arrow, esp for a crossbow

Chronos
2013-07-23, 05:50 AM
I think I've seen references that making the shaft of arrows is (bowmaking), but that making the heads is (weaponsmithing). Presumably, assembling the two together is a trivial task requiring no skill.

Kred
2013-07-23, 12:20 PM
Q561
Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium) + Claws of the Beast (Psionic)
Will it work? If yes -how many attacks i'll have and with what BAB?

Urpriest
2013-07-23, 12:42 PM
Q561
Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium) + Claws of the Beast (Psionic)
Will it work? If yes -how many attacks i'll have and with what BAB?

A561
Claws of the Beast explicitly only grants two claw attacks, and you explicitly cannot use any other natural weapons when you attack with them.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-23, 12:50 PM
A 561

Girallon's Blessing and Claws of the Beast both transform your existing hands into claws. Girallon's Blessing has a fixed damage whereas the damage from Claws of the Beast varies with your size; they produce the same damage if you are Medium size. If Girallon's Blessing is cast first, Claws of the Beast renders that meaningless because the result specified in the power description is that you have only two claw attacks in your full attack (regardless of how many arms you have). If Claws of the Beast is manifested first and then Girallon's Blessing is cast, the size-dependent damage benefit of the power is overridden by the spell but you would have four attacks, as specified in the spell description.

unseenmage
2013-07-23, 01:48 PM
Q562

By RAW is there a difference between a Custom Magic Item and a +1 magic weapon with +9 worth in enhancement abilities?

Specifically, Custom Magic Items aren't available at your local magic mart by RAW but are custom weapons?

Urpriest
2013-07-23, 02:54 PM
Q562

By RAW is there a difference between a Custom Magic Item and a +1 magic weapon with +9 worth in enhancement abilities?

Specifically, Custom Magic Items aren't available at your local magic mart by RAW but are custom weapons?

A562

Custom magic items are created by the DM. "Custom weapons" can be crafted by anyone in the setting.

unseenmage
2013-07-23, 02:58 PM
A562

Custom magic items are created by the DM. "Custom weapons" can be crafted by anyone in the setting.

Thank you.

Q563
Does the same hold true for Staffs, Wands, and Scrolls with different spells in them than just what is represented in the DMG?

Baphomet
2013-07-23, 03:03 PM
Q 564
Could a creature with a fly speed take a 5-foot step upwards in lieu of other movement in a turn?

Also

Q 565
When measuring distance for the purposes of an area spell, every second diagonal counts as two spaces. Does that count squares (voxels? cubes?) that are diagonally adjacent in three dimensions or just two? For example, if a hypothetical spell with 1 square radius goes off at coordinate 0, 0, 0, would a creature flying at 1, 1, 1 be affected by it?

Khedrac
2013-07-23, 03:07 PM
A 564
That depends, if the creature has Perfect maneuverability then yes, otherwise no as upwards movement costs double and 5' up requires 10' of movement.

animewatcha
2013-07-23, 03:18 PM
Q 565

Entangling breath feat from Races of the Dragon. Dragonfire adept from Dragon Magic. Can the entangling effect be done at the same time as the slow breath breath effect. Causing both status conditions at the same exact time?

mattie_p
2013-07-23, 03:20 PM
A 565: Probably yes, assuming the caster aims correctly.

One problem with your question is that area spells do not originate in the center of a square.

Area effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#area): Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection.

The caster should simply select the appropriate grid intersection that borders both 0,0,0 and 1,1,1.

Baphomet
2013-07-23, 03:45 PM
A 565: Probably yes, assuming the caster aims correctly.

One problem with your question is that area spells do not originate in the center of a square.

The caster should simply select the appropriate grid intersection that borders both 0,0,0 and 1,1,1.

Q 565 clarification
The stated example was sort of an oversimplification. The actual issue involves an Entangle spell (40-ft. spread, which is kind of silly to envision as a sphere but we're treating it like the vines in the middle get more magic in them and thus grow longer, with the caveat that it probably wouldn't work that way if we weren't in a forest) in a large area with several flying enemies spaced out throughout it. But you're right, my numbering convention didn't make as much sense as I thought it did. So, say the origin of the spell is at (0, 0, 0), which is surrounded by eight cubes in each diagonal direction, whose centers are at (±.5, ±.5, ±.5). So, again for example, a creature in the (0.5, 0.5, 0.5) cube would count as 5 feet away from the spell, one in the (1.5, 1.5, 1.5) cube would count as being two diagonal squares away and thus 15 feet, one in the (2.5, 2.5, 2.5) cube would count as being three diagonal squares away and thus 20 feet, etc.? Thus, the furthest away a creature could be in a three-dimensional diagonal along that line to still be affected by the spell would be at the cube centered on (4.5, 4.5, 4.5) because that counts as 7 cubes away and the next cube out would make it 9, correct?

animewatcha
2013-07-23, 03:46 PM
A 565 cont.

Huh? Dragonfire adept class from dragon magic, his supernatural breath ability.

Feat from page 101 in Races of the dragon.

ENTANGLING EXHALATION [BREATH]
You can use your breath weapon to create an entangling
mesh of energy.
Prerequisites: Dragonblood subtype, breath weapon.
Benefi t: When you use your breath weapon, you can
choose to enmesh all creatures in its area instead of producing
its normal effect. Your breath weapon deals only
half its normal damage; however, any creature that takes
damage from your breath weapon becomes entangled and
takes an extra 1d6 points of damage, of the same energy
type as normally dealt by your breath weapon, each round
at the start of your turn. This effect lasts for 1d4 rounds.
If your breath weapon doesn’t deal energy damage,
creatures damaged by the initial breath are still entangled
but don’t take additional damage on later rounds.

No entangle spell is dealt with. Just two different breath status condition inducers.

Lateral
2013-07-23, 03:56 PM
A 566

(You have the wrong number, animewatcha.)

Yes. The feat Entangling Exhalation has a line that deals with breath weapons that don't deal damage; in those cases, they're still entangled, but do not take extra damage on subsequent rounds.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 04:06 PM
ba-bump...

Q557

Can my shaper command his astral construct to manifest a power utilizing a soul crystal? Soul crystal's description was very vague on just who is qualified to use one.

Urpriest
2013-07-23, 05:04 PM
Thank you.

Q563
Does the same hold true for Staffs, Wands, and Scrolls with different spells in them than just what is represented in the DMG?

A563

Yes for wands and scrolls, no for staffs. Craft Wand and Scribe Scroll explicitly allow whoever has the feat to make any spell that meets the criteria into a wand or scroll, while Craft Staff merely refers the reader to the DMG, which says that each staff is of a specific kind.

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-24, 12:56 AM
Q567
A Master of Many Forms can change into Humanoid forms. She gains the base physical stats as listed in the monster entry of whatever she changes into.

...what stats does she get if she turns into a human? Or, for that matter, one of the other races that, to my knowledge, have no monster entries, like a goliath (after getting Monstrous Humanoid forms)?

Actually, I suppose this isn't MoMF specific; the question would also apply to Polymorph.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-24, 01:37 AM
A 567

From pages 6-7 of Monster Manual:
Except where noted otherwise, each creature is assumed to have the standard array of ability scores before racial adjustments (all 11s and 10s). Humans have no racial ability adjustments. Your DM will decide whether those physical abilities are 10s or 11s, but (except for carrying capacity) it shouldn't matter; the ability modifiers are the same.

DementedFellow
2013-07-24, 01:52 AM
Q 568

Would an artificer who is attempting to make a sand golem pay the XP price listed (920 XP) for the entire creature? I ask because one of the spells needed to create it is Awaken Sand which has a 500 XP cost. Would he be down 1420 or 920 XP after creating a sand golem? This answer will tell me pretty much if the XP cost for creation factors in the XP cost of the spells needed for creation or if they are a separate tally.

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-24, 06:38 AM
A 568
Magical item creation does not normally require casting the required spells; it requires preparing them, then expending the slot in an unspecified process; note DMG 215 never states the prerequisite spells must be cast. Therefore, no, the 920 listed is the total xp expenditure before cost reducers.

For example: if it was necessary to cast the required spells, a luck blade with three wishes on it would cost 710,000 xp to create in addition to the listed creation cost, because wish, with a 5,000 xp cost would have to be cast once for each of the 142 days it takes to create the item.

Note, also, that golems tend to have a nonstandard pricing scheme for their creation (by standard magical item creation rules, the xp cost should be 2,000 to create an item with a base price of 50,000 gp).

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 07:26 AM
*clears throat*

Q557

Thanks.

kaaskeizer
2013-07-24, 11:34 AM
q 569

my dm stated there is a difference between threatened squares and reach (for close combat weaponry)... is there? , i mean sure, u dont get a AoO with a repeating crossbow or what ever, but lets say i take the spike chain or the long spear.. both with 10 feet reach, in both cases i should get an attack of opportunity if someone was bald enough to simply walk trough my reach right? and if i increase size?

my dm stated that even if ur gargantuan (tall one, not long) ud usually have 4 squares reach, but u would not (necessarily) threaten that many squares, meaning u dont get attacks of opportunity even if your enemies walk by within your reach!

all i can think of is how and why, anyone?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-24, 11:41 AM
A 568 contention

From the construction section in the golem entry.

Construction

The cost to create given for each golem includes the cost of the physical body and all the materials and spell components that are consumed or become a permanent part of the golem. Creating a golem is essentially similar to creating any sort of magic item. However, a golem’s body includes costly material components that may require some extra preparation. The golem’s creator can assemble the body or hire someone else to do the job. The builder must have the appropriate skill, which varies with the golem variety.

Completing the golem’s creation drains the appropriate XP from the creator and requires casting any spells on the final day.

The creator must cast the spells personally, but they can come from outside sources, such as scrolls.

The characteristics of a golem that come from its nature as a magic item (caster level, prerequisite feats and spells, market price, cost to create) are given in summary form at the end of each golem’s description.

Note: The market price of an advanced golem (a golem with more Hit Dice than the typical golem described in each entry) is increased by 5,000 gp for each additional Hit Die, and increased by an additional 50,000 gp if the golem’s size increases. The XP cost for creating an advanced golem is equal to 1/25 the advanced golem’s market price minus the cost of the special materials required.

Emphasis mine.

Each type of magic item creation process contains its own rules as far as spell are concerned. Crafting golems doesn't require the normal preparing the spell and expending the cost of materials and XP. Instead the material and focus cost of the spells are included in the price of the golem and you only need to cast the spell on the last day. The XP cost for the golem does not include the XP cost for any spells you need to cast on the final day.

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-24, 12:00 PM
A 557
It says any creature and I don't see anything that explicitly stops a created minion, so I'm going to go ahead and say yes.

Q 570
Is there any class that grants a +4 or better bonus to diplomacy with a single level dip if you already have levels in cloistered cleric, incarnate, warlock, and marshal?

Khedrac
2013-07-24, 12:19 PM
q 569

my dm stated there is a difference between threatened squares and reach (for close combat weaponry)... is there? , i mean sure, u dont get a AoO with a repeating crossbow or what ever, but lets say i take the spike chain or the long spear.. both with 10 feet reach, in both cases i should get an attack of opportunity if someone was bald enough to simply walk trough my reach right? and if i increase size?

my dm stated that even if ur gargantuan (tall one, not long) ud usually have 4 squares reach, but u would not (necessarily) threaten that many squares, meaning u dont get attacks of opportunity even if your enemies walk by within your reach!

all i can think of is how and why, anyone?
OK this one is a bit complex, but yes your reach defines which squares you threaten, with some givens...

First, you must have a melee weapon ready to use to threaten. This can be an unarmed strike or a touch spell with the charge held. In either of these cases, or with a non-reach melee weapon, you threaten squares up to your natural reach (5' for most characters).

Second, a longspear is like most reach weapons, you threaten squares twice your natural reach away (10' for most characters) but you do not threaten squares closer than that.

A Spiked chain is special, it enables you to attack (and threaten) squares up to twice your natural reach (so 5' and 10' away for most characters).

There's a special case for 10' reach, because usually when measuring distances on the diagonals one goes 5' 15' 20' 30' a character with 10' reach does threaten the 15' diagonal squares (but no other squares 15' away) - this is to prevent opponents being able to walk up to you without ever entering your threatened area.

Next, does anything block your threat? You do not threaten squares which have cover against you.

Finally, are you flat footed? If you are flat footed (even if you retain your dex bonus from uncanny dodge) you do not threaten any squares - unless you have Combat Reflexes, when you do threaten while flat footed.

OK - that defines threatened area (well well enough for a "quick" answer). On to AoOs themselves.

Unless you have Combat Reflexes you get one attack of opportunity per round. This is not from the start of the round to the end, this is from your turn to your turn, thus if you use your AoO you get it back on your next turn.

Now, if someone provokes (large list of qualifying actions) in a square you threaten and you have an unused AoO you can choose to take it, but you do not have to - if you think someone is trying to draw your AoO so you can't use it on someone else then it can be best to pass up the first one.

Moving is the special case. Movement out of a threatened square provokes, however since a move is a single action, a single movement only provokes once against any one opponent no matter how many of their threatened squares are left.

It sounds like your DM is wrong, but it also sounds like you may have misunderstood him.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-24, 12:29 PM
Re: A 569

From the Glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_threaten&alpha=T):
threaten

To be able to attack in melee without moving from your current space. A creature typically threatens all squares within its natural reach, even when it is not its turn to take an action. For a Medium or Small creature this usually includes all squares adjacent to its space. Larger creatures threaten more squares, while smaller creatures may not threaten any squares except their own. There are only rare exceptions to this "typically" rule (such as when using the Ranged Threat feat).

heavyfuel
2013-07-24, 01:32 PM
Q 571

Is there any weapon besides the whip that has 15 feet range?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-24, 02:12 PM
A 571

All ranged weapons have at least a 15' range. The minimum range increment for any ranged weapon is 10', and ranged weapons function to a maximum of either 5 range increments if thrown, or 10 range increments for projectile weapons.

A whip is unusual in several respects:

It's a handheld (melee) weapon, but provokes attacks of opportunity as a ranged weapon does.
Also like a ranged weapon, a whip does not threaten.
A whip has a fixed reach, independent of either character size or weapon size.
A whip deals no damage in many cases.

heavyfuel
2013-07-24, 02:21 PM
A 571

All ranged weapons have at least a 15' range. The minimum range increment for any ranged weapon is 10', and ranged weapons function to a maximum of either 5 range increments if thrown, or 10 range increments for projectile weapons.

Sorry, I didn't mean "range", I meant "reach"... My question is if there is a 15 feet reach weapon besides the Whip.

Basically, so my duskblade can full attack channel anyone 3 squares away from me without being subject to AoOs.

qwertyu63
2013-07-24, 07:25 PM
Q 572

Do skill points per level have a minimum? For example, if a Fighter has an Int of 6, do they get 0 skill points per level (2-2) or is 1 the minimum?

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-24, 07:28 PM
Q 572

Do skill points per level have a minimum? For example, if a Fighter has an Int of 6, do they get 0 skill points per level (2-2) or is 1 the minimum?

1 is the minimum.

Karnith
2013-07-24, 07:28 PM
Q 572

A 572
You always get at least 1 skill point per level. Per the Player's Handbook:

1. Determine the number of skill points your character gets. See Table 4-1: Skill Points per Level.
A character gets at least 1 skill point at each level, even if he or she has an Intelligence penalty.
A human gets 1 extra skill point per level.
(Emphasis mine)

Curmudgeon
2013-07-24, 09:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean "range", I meant "reach"... My question is if there is a 15 feet reach weapon besides the Whip.
A 571 continued No.

All standard weapons use the character's natural reach, rather than having their own reach specification. Whips are a special case.

Lateral
2013-07-24, 09:44 PM
Q 573

Are there any true dragons that are immune to sonic damage?

Q 574

Are there any creatures which are both immune to sonic damage and CR 4 or lower?

Karnith
2013-07-24, 09:54 PM
Q 573

Are there any true dragons that are immune to sonic damage?
A 573
Battle Dragons, Howling Dragons, and Pyroclastic Dragons, from the Draconomicon, are immune to sonic damage. Emerald Dragons, from Monster Manual II, are likewise immune to sonic damage.

Q 574

Are there any creatures which are both immune to sonic damage and CR 4 or lower?
A 574
Wyrmling Battle Dragons are CR 3, and very young Battle Dragons are CR 4. Wyrmling Emerald Dragons are also CR 3. Wyrmling Pyroclastic Dragons are CR 4.

Forderz
2013-07-24, 10:15 PM
Q 575

I have a bite attack, two talon attacks, improved grab, pounce, and two rakes.

Do the rakes supercede the talon attacks in a grapple? does a talon attack need to hit to activate the rake? On the charge, do I immediately grapple on the bite before attacking with the talons, taking the -4 penalty?

Lateral
2013-07-24, 11:11 PM
Q 576

Does a Valkyrie's Lightning Gaze ability (ToB 157) require an action to use, or does it function as a normal gaze as described here? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)

Curmudgeon
2013-07-24, 11:32 PM
A 576
A valkyrie almost never actively gazes at a foe, preferring to use her melee attacks. Of course, the passive attack of her lightning gaze can put foes at a significant disadvantage. The gaze attack works as normal. If a foe is within 30' and can make out the Valkyrie's eyes, they must make a saving throw at the beginning of their turn. If they don't succeed at the Spot check to make out the Valkyrie's eyes, they're still not within range and thus don't need to save.
Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action. How the DM interprets "something" for Spot checks will determine to a great extent the effectiveness of gaze attacks. "Something" could be anywhere between "the same character" and "the same character in the same place doing the same thing in the same manner". The first choice will make gaining additional details harder because move action rechecks will be necessary; the latter choice will make reactive (no action) Spot checks reveal most details. The first choice will be harder tactically (because whether an enemy is wearing a holy symbol likely won't be revealed on first glance) but will also provide defensive benefits (such as failing to see the eyes of creatures with gaze attacks unless you do make Spot rechecks for more details).

Hytheter
2013-07-24, 11:49 PM
Q577
Do there exist rules for creating custom staves ie a staff with spells of the players choosing (as opposed to the specific staves in the MIC)? If so, what are they/where can I find them?

Khedrac
2013-07-25, 01:02 AM
A 575

On a full attack you have to use attacks in order of Attack Bonus so the bite goes before the talons if it is the main attack (it usually is but some creatures differ). This means that if the Improved Grab is from bite (it will specify) then yes, you must choose whether to grapple before making the talon attacks. If you successfully grapple then the talon attacks and subsequent bites are at -4. Note: rakes specifically don't take a penalty in a grapple.

No the rakes do not replace the talons, they are in addition.

animewatcha
2013-07-25, 01:08 AM
Q 578

In dragon magic. The explanation on draconic feats made it sound like one can take any of the draconic feats if you had dragontouched. I knowed some of them required draconic heritage. Would dragontouched allow me to take draconic vigor with or without the draconic heritage req?

unseenmage
2013-07-25, 01:12 AM
Q577
Do there exist rules for creating custom staves ie a staff with spells of the players choosing (as opposed to the specific staves in the MIC)? If so, what are they/where can I find them?

A577
Those rules can be found in the back of the DMG page 284 and in the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

Q579

Where, if anywhere, do the rules state when player controlled minions get the Elite Array and when they get the Nonelite Array?

Q580
Does said minion being granted by a class ability, a feat, a spell, or just DM fiat affect the above?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-25, 01:47 AM
A 579

There are no "player-controlled" minions. All NPCs are DM-controlled. The DM also makes all decisions about NPC abilities.

A 580

See above.

unseenmage
2013-07-25, 01:57 AM
A 579

There are no "player-controlled" minions. All NPCs are DM-controlled. The DM also makes all decisions about NPC abilities.

A 580

See above.

Including Animal Companions, Familiars, the other self from a Fission power, Simulacrums even?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-25, 03:06 AM
Including Animal Companions, Familiars, the other self from a Fission power, Simulacrums even?
Yes. From page 103 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
EVERYONE IN THE WORLD
It’s your job to portray everyone in the world who isn’t a player character.

D20ragon
2013-07-25, 07:49 AM
Q581
is it possible to put out a fire elemental ?

Urpriest
2013-07-25, 11:17 AM
Q581
is it possible to put out a fire elemental ?

A581

Yes, that is where half-elementals come from.

More seriously, a fire elemental is a creature, it is not by default vulnerable to being put out like a mundane fire.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-25, 12:33 PM
A 578

Dragontouched would allow you to take Draconic Vigor with the Draconic Heritage feat.
In addition, you can select draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer of your character level.
Dragontouched would satisfy the "sorcerer level 1st" requirement for Draconic Vigor (and Draconic Heritage).

Venger
2013-07-25, 01:18 PM
q 582

does alacritous cogitation allow one to qualify for versatile spellcaster?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-25, 01:36 PM
A 582

Yes but it is debatable whether you can get any use out of the feat.

unseenmage
2013-07-25, 02:05 PM
Q583

I have a spell with this text, "...and the duration of its previous casting has expired."

My question is, do spells with a duration of Instantaneous or Permanent simply never "expire" or do they not have a duration insofar as my line of text is concerned?

Escheton
2013-07-25, 02:29 PM
Q584:

Warforged saints have the Outsider type, living construct subtype and the extraplanar or native subtype depending on where they are.

Do they need to eat sleep and breathe?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-25, 04:28 PM
A 583

Instantaneous spells do not have any measurable duration. Permanent spells have a duration, but no natural expiration (permanent = until dispelled).

Baphomet
2013-07-25, 05:34 PM
Q 585
Where can I find options for creatures a paladin can use as his mount besides the ones listed in the PHB?

unseenmage
2013-07-25, 05:59 PM
Q586

I know you can make Metamagic-ed potions, Scrolls, and Wands by RAW, but can you buy them?

Can a player buy Metamagic-ed magic items or would they count as Custom Magic Items similar to how unlisted Staffs do?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-25, 06:14 PM
A 586 Ask your DM.

Availability of any specific magic item for purchase is up to your individual DM.

zlefin
2013-07-25, 07:56 PM
Q 587

Is there a spell like wc3 spellbreaker's Spell Steal?
http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/spellbreaker.shtml

Andezzar
2013-07-25, 11:44 PM
A 585

DMG p. 204 f.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-26, 12:23 AM
A 587 Not really.

Elements of the Spellthief class (Complete Adventurer, pages 13+) and Spellblade weapon enhancement (Player's Guide to Faerûn, page 120) have some of the characteristics of this Warcraft III spell. The closest D&D spell is probably Reaving Dispel (Spell Compendium, pages 169-170).

Baphomet
2013-07-26, 01:44 AM
A 585

DMG p. 204 f.
D'oh. Thanks! If it were a snake...

Q 588
The Druid's Thousand Faces ability, post-errata, reads "At 13th level, a druid gains the ability to change her appearance at will, as if using the disguise self spell, but only while in her normal form. This affects the druid’s body but not her possessions. It is not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration of the druid’s appearance, within the limits described for the spell." (emphasis mine)

The Disguise Self spell entry reads, "A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion."

Since the Thousand Faces ability is specifically called out as not being illusory, does that mean that creatures interacting with a character who has changed shape using the ability do not get a Will save to recognize the Druid's true form? Additionally, since the effect is not technically called out as a polymorphing or transmutation effect, does that mean that a creature with True Seeing will be unable to see through the ability?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-26, 02:13 AM
A 588

As to whether A Thousand Faces allows a Will save to recognize it, you'll have to ask your DM. It's supposed to work as Disguise Self, which does allow such a save, but it's not an illusion, so by that criterion it wouldn't. Given the conflicting direction of the RAW, the individual DM will have to make a decision which way to go.

True Seeing will discern the Druid's original form, as it works against non-illusory changes of shape.
You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. That's a very broad specification of capability, and it goes beyond the specific examples called out in the spell description.

RFLS
2013-07-26, 12:13 PM
Q 589:

Is there a way (preferably through a feat) to gain extra uses of a Supernatural ability per day?

Q 590:

Is there a way to avoid having a spellbook as a wizard?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-26, 01:06 PM
A 571 Addendum

Your DM might allow the Pyrokineticist's Fire Lash ability to function with arcane channeling.

A 590

There is the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF for wizards from a Dragon magazine.

Karnith
2013-07-26, 01:19 PM
Q 590:

Is there a way to avoid having a spellbook as a wizard?
A 590, Additional

Complete Arcane details the use of structure, tattoos, and tokens as alternatives to a spellbook on pages 186 and 187.

unseenmage
2013-07-26, 01:34 PM
Q591

I know there are rules in the DMG about how many NPC of what levels can be found in a settlement based on it's size.

But are there rules detailing how many of those NPCs are likely to be part of the local military/government?

Urpriest
2013-07-26, 01:45 PM
Q591

I know there are rules in the DMG about how many NPC of what levels can be found in a settlement based on it's size.

But are there rules detailing how many of those NPCs are likely to be part of the local military/government?

A591

Yes. The same section details which of those NPCs is the captain of the guard, typically the highest level Fighter or Warrior.

Ianuagonde
2013-07-26, 01:57 PM
Q 592

Does a prestige class that advances spells per day and spells known (such as Loremaster) give a character with Wizard levels his two new free spells in his spellbook when leveling up?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-26, 03:32 PM
A 592 Only if specified.
Spells per Day/Spells Known

When a new loremaster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly. The Loremaster class description is very explicit: you get the spells per day and caster level as if you were advancing as a Wizard, and nothing else. Free spells in the spellbook are a Wizard class feature not advanced by Loremaster levels.

Andezzar
2013-07-26, 03:48 PM
Free spells in the spellbook are a Wizard class feature not advanced by Loremaster levels.So the free spells do not increase the spells known of a wizard? I know wizards do not have a maximum number of spells known like sorcerers, but are the spells a wizard knows not considered spells known?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-26, 04:37 PM
Re: A 592
So the free spells do not increase the spells known of a wizard? I know wizards do not have a maximum number of spells known like sorcerers, but are the spells a wizard knows not considered spells known?Note the conditional mention in "(and spells known, if applicable)"; the spells a Wizard knows are not purely a function of adding "+1 level of existing class" in the Loremaster table and thus not applicable to that advancement.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-07-26, 05:02 PM
Q 593

What are all the distinct spell lists in 3.5, and what do they each go up to?

Andezzar
2013-07-26, 05:12 PM
Re: A 592Note the conditional mention in "(and spells known, if applicable)"; the spells a Wizard knows are not purely a function of adding "+1 level of existing class" in the Loremaster table and thus not applicable to that advancement.I don't get it. A wizard gets to know two more spells at each level. Why would those two spells not be spells known and thus apply to the loremaster progression?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-07-26, 05:16 PM
Re: A 592Note the conditional mention in "(and spells known, if applicable)"; the spells a Wizard knows are not purely a function of adding "+1 level of existing class" in the Loremaster table and thus not applicable to that advancement.

I don't get it. A wizard gets to know two more spells at each level. Why would those two spells not be spells known and thus apply to the loremaster progression?

If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

unseenmage
2013-07-27, 01:18 AM
Q594
Does a Gondsman survive the death of it's Techsmith? (Faiths and Pantheons)

Q595
Does a Dedicated Wright Homunculus survive it's Artificer?

Q596
If one of my players paid for a stronghold to be built, is there any RAW justification for the project being abandoned or completed?

Ruethgar
2013-07-27, 08:36 PM
Q 597 Is Produce Flame a weapon-like spell?

Q 598 Are the flames from Produce Flame considered thrown weapons?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-27, 10:20 PM
A 597 Yes.

The spell effect requires an attack roll to hit, and deals damage. As a weaponlike spell it will threaten a critical hit on a rolled 20 and deal double damage on a confirmed critical.

A 598 Not exactly.

Thrown weapons use a regular (not touch) ranged attack, have a maximum of 5 range increments, and add the attacker's STR bonus on a successful hit. Produce Flame's effect uses a ranged touch attack, has only 1 range increment, and does not add any STR bonus. The mechanics of using Produce Flame's effect at range are similar to a thrown weapon attack, but still different.

Ruethgar
2013-07-27, 10:31 PM
Q 599 Is produce flame a weapon-like touch spell or ranged spell considering the effect is neither a ranged touch or melee touch but rather the evocation of flames that can be used for such attacks?

INoKnowNames
2013-07-28, 12:57 AM
Q 600

When a Knowledge Check is called upon, can a Cloistered Cleric's Lore or a Bard's Bardic Knowledge be used as a substitute?

Sliver
2013-07-28, 01:07 AM
Q 601

Does a totemist with Winter Mask bound may use the touch of fatigue with a full attack of natural weapons (rolling against normal AC instead of touch) to force a fort save on every successful hit or is it limited to a standard-action touch attack?

Is the bonus damage from invested essentia limited to the touch attack or can be added to all natural weapons?

Khedrac
2013-07-28, 01:36 AM
A 599 Yes
As Curmudgeon has already answered.

If you consider the flame produced not to be part of the spell then it will either burn the hand holding it or go out (or more likely both).

Andezzar
2013-07-28, 01:49 AM
Q 602

Is there a general rule in which order augmentations from abilities (feats, class abilities etc.) must be applied?

Q 603

Has the Sanctum Spell been errataed or is the rule still written as "A sanctum spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level."? I.e. Could you stack whatever metamagic you want on a spell and then add Sanctum spell to get the spell slot down to the original level?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-28, 01:59 AM
A 600 Only to a limited extent.
Bardic Knowledge

A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to his bard level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places.
A successful bardic knowledge check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function.
Only a few Knowledge checks overlap with these specific insights available via Bardic Knowledge or Lore. For instance, knowledge of "noteworthy places" might satisfy some Knowledge (architecture and engineering) or Knowledge (geography) checks, but wouldn't tell anything about ordinary (non-noteworthy) architecture, anything about engineering, or any geographical information for non-heralded places.

kkplx
2013-07-28, 03:49 AM
Q 604

Is there a spell with a similar strength to True Strike that does not cost you a standard action to cast (I'd want to cast it and attack in the same round - no metamagic involved)

DementedFellow
2013-07-28, 04:05 AM
Q 605

Let's say I want to advance a creature by hit dice. The stat block says advancement: 3 to 6 Hit Dice. Does that mean that 6 Hit Dice is a hard limit?

Andezzar
2013-07-28, 04:07 AM
A 605

Yes, for advancement by hit dice

TuggyNE
2013-07-28, 04:36 AM
A605 correction: No, but it is a fairly firm limit.

The advancement line shows how tough a creature can get, in terms of extra Hit Dice. (This is not an absolute limit, but exceptions are extremely rare.)

kkplx
2013-07-28, 05:17 AM
Q 606:

Are summoned creatures bound by the range of the spell (25ft+5/2levels) or can they move freely after being summoned? (Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally)

I'm asking because Unseen Servant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/unseenServant.htm) can't leave the 25+ 5/2lvl range of the spell, but most druids I ever played with had their summons run around ALL over the place.

Khedrac
2013-07-28, 05:37 AM
A 604 No, but you might be interested in the feat [i] Arcane Strike[]/i]

Andezzar
2013-07-28, 05:58 AM
A 606

After the casting, the effect (a summoned creature) can move around freely. Only through the explicit rule in Unseen servant is the servant restricted to a certain area.

Chronos
2013-07-28, 07:09 AM
A 602:

In general, the creature applying the effects can apply them in whichever order is most beneficial to that creature.

Valthonis
2013-07-28, 10:09 AM
Q 607:

What book (or books) contains information on demiplanes? In particular, I want to allow for easy access to my wizard's demiplane.

Urpriest
2013-07-28, 10:25 AM
Q 607:

What book (or books) contains information on demiplanes? In particular, I want to allow for easy access to my wizard's demiplane.

A 607

The Manual of the Planes and the Dungeonmaster's Guide contain rules on the demiplanes themselves. Spells, power, and class abilities to create demiplanes exist in the Manual of the Planes, Epic Level Handbook (reprinted on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm)), and Expanded Psionics Handbook.

The Viscount
2013-07-28, 10:39 AM
Q 608
Does wounding bypass DR?

geekintheground
2013-07-28, 10:44 AM
Q 609: can divine casters take feats in complete arcane?

Urpriest
2013-07-28, 10:47 AM
Q 609: can divine casters take feats in complete arcane?

A 609

Yes, just like NPCs can take feats from the Player's Handbook. The name of a book is not a rule about the book.

Chronos
2013-07-28, 10:56 AM
A 607 continued:
There's also a spell in Tome of Magic, "Word of Genesis", for creating a demiplane.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-07-28, 10:59 AM
Q 593

What are all the distinct spell lists in 3.5, and what levels do they each go up to?

Reposting because it was missed.

Andezzar
2013-07-28, 11:20 AM
A 608

Ability damage and the indirect hit point reduction from wounding are not weapon damage. As such neither is reduced by DR.

A 593

You may find a fairly complete list here (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Index_LevDom.php).

Perseus
2013-07-28, 03:11 PM
Q 610

If a Planar Shepard is on the Material Plane and is hit by a Dismissal or Banishment, would they be sent to their chosen plane (the one they take as a class feature)? Or would they just stay on the material plane?

kkplx
2013-07-28, 03:30 PM
Q 611

What books have the baselines needed to use another (sped up) plane for crafting and/or aging a Dragon in a time-constrained campaign?

It might be worth mentioning that said access to plane has to be accessible with spells, not supernatural or PrC-Abilities

Curmudgeon
2013-07-28, 03:38 PM
A 610

Before 10th level, the Planar Shepherd would remain on the Material Plane (their native plane). At 10th level their Planar Self class feature would change their native plane to that chosen for Planar Attunement, and Dismissal or Banishment would operate accordingly.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-28, 04:19 PM
Q611

At one point I saw a creature that has the ability to change its DR depending on what weapon hit it last. So if struck by a spear it would get DR/slashing or bludgeoning, if by a morningstar DR/slashing. I can't find it though. Anyone know what and where it is?

Derjuin
2013-07-28, 06:41 PM
Q 612

When classes/prestige classes grant templates (such as Dread Necromancer 20 or Walker in the Wastes 10), does the character suffer from the LA normally associated with that template? For example, is a Cleric 5/Walker in the Wastes 10 considered a level 20 character because Dry Lich has an LA of +5?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-28, 07:07 PM
A 612 Yes.

Unless the class description specifies an exception, templates behave in the same fashion whether acquired at character creation, via a spell, or through a class feature. See the Monster Manual treatment of READING A TEMPLATE (starting on page 291) and ADDING A TEMPLATE, STEP-BY-STEP (on page 293).

Crasical
2013-07-28, 10:05 PM
Q613
For someone who's not familiar with Incarnum.
Do Totemists visually grow all their claws, tentacles, extra arms, ect. that they shape?

If so, is there any way to hide your new biological mashup form on a long-term basis, like using a hat of disguise?

Lastly, if a totemist under the effects of Disguise Self attacked someone with one of their soulmelds, would the target be allowed a save to realize what was going on?

mythmonster2
2013-07-28, 10:53 PM
Q614

Where is it stated that creatures with the dragon type do not suffer penalties from aging? The Monster Manual description of the dragon type does not state anything of the sort.

(Also, my question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15633647&postcount=996) about shapeshifter subtype, wild shape, and Warshaper was never answered. Is it alright to bring that up?)

yougi
2013-07-28, 11:17 PM
Q615

How much does a single magic arrow (say +1) cost, and where can I find that rule in the books? I am fairly certain it is 1/50 of a "regular" weapon of the same bonus, but since I can't find the rule, I'm starting to doubt...

Thurbane
2013-07-29, 12:19 AM
A 615

Under the section on Magic Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm), there is a note on the Base Price column of Table: Weapons*

* This price is for 50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.

KillianHawkeye
2013-07-29, 01:42 AM
A 611 #2 (possibly)

That sounds like the Vril from Drow of the Underdark.

Thurbane
2013-07-29, 01:49 AM
A611b

Sounds like you might be thinking of a Skindancer (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83012.jpg) from MM3 (p.158), but there may be more than one creature with this kind of adaptive DR.

Arkusus
2013-07-29, 03:43 AM
(Also, my question about shapeshifter subtype, wild shape, and Warshaper was never answered. Is it alright to bring that up?)

Q 495

If a creature with the shapechanger subtype, like a changeling, obtains wild shape and then reaches level 5 of Warshaper (Complete Warrior, page 90), would they gain both of the benefits of the capstone or just one or the other?

A 495

After looking over the Warshaper's final ability, I imagine it would give you both abilities, but tied separately to your other abilities.

For instance: if you were a Doppelganger with the Shapechange (su) ability, you could shapechange as a move action (and then attack the same action I suppose, or just shapechange again really super fast to freak people out)

But then the same Doppelganger with levels in Druid wouldn't be able to Wild Shape as a move action. Instead, he would gain the ability to Wild Shape multiple times during the same duration.

Point of interest though, he could still use his Shapechange ability as a move action while in animal form. At least as far as I can tell.

But yeah, no move-action Wild Shape at least not from what I would go with. This IS mostly interpretation though, but I think it makes way more sense.

Thurbane
2013-07-29, 05:42 AM
Q 616

What is the Challenge Rating of a Skulk (RoD p.105) with no class levels?

KillianHawkeye
2013-07-29, 08:08 AM
A 616

From the table: CR 2.

kkplx
2013-07-29, 10:18 AM
Q 617

Is there a way to use your own Int Modifier for Spell Trigger and -completion items (wands, scrolls etc) by getting a specific feat?

Scrolls crafted by a person with Int higher than the minimum required for the spell still are created with an automatic Int modifier equal to the one needed to cast the spell, correct?

kkplx
2013-07-29, 10:43 AM
Q 618

Is there a way to use your own Caster Level for Spell Trigger and -completion items (wands, scrolls etc) by getting a specific feat?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-29, 11:31 AM
A 617 No.

You may use your INT modifier for spell trigger items if

INT happens to be your spellcasting ability.
The spell trigger item is a staff.
"INT modifier" is largely meaningless when it comes to magic items, because whether the crafter used INT or some other ability score is irrelevant to the user. There are no feats which let you retroactively increase the power of a scroll or wand.
For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.
A 618 No.

Malimar
2013-07-29, 02:32 PM
Q619

If you choose to delay on the first round of combat, are you still flat-footed until you choose to enter initiative?

TuggyNE
2013-07-29, 05:18 PM
A619: Yes.
By choosing to delay, you take no action… You are flat-footed until you take an action.

Karnith
2013-07-29, 05:46 PM
Q614

Where is it stated that creatures with the dragon type do not suffer penalties from aging? The Monster Manual description of the dragon type does not state anything of the sort.
A 614

There is, to the best of my knowledge, no general rule to this effect. True dragons do not age like lesser beings do, and actually gain power as they get older, which is represented in-game by the 12 age categories that they move through as they age. Lesser dragons (creatures of the Dragon type that are not true dragons) generally do not have information relating to their age, but the Monster Manual tells us (on p. 68) that they do not gain power as they age in the same manner that true dragons do.
All true dragons gain more abilities and greater power as they age. (Other creatures that have the dragon type do not.)

If you are asking about Dragonwrought Kobolds in particular, Races of the Dragon says that they do not take aging penalties on page 39.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-29, 09:02 PM
A 614 Dispute

In the Draconomicon, at the section about Dragon aging, there is actually a (small) section about them taking ability penalties for aging - as they enter the Twilight, they can quickly suffer from ability drain before succumbing.

Vaern
2013-07-29, 11:31 PM
Q620
Just for a bit of clarification on the rules for becoming an elemental savant...

It doesn't say under the requirements that your energy substitution feat and the spells you need to qualify for the class need to be of the same type, nor that the outsider that you contact must have anything at all to do with the element you are choosing to dedicate yourself to. All that matters is that three spells share an energy descriptor, and that you contact an elemental or an outsider with an elemental subtype. Your elemental devotion is based solely on your energy substitution choice.

I would be able to take Energy Substitution (cold), learn nothing but fire spells, and then contact an earth outsider to qualify to become a water savant, correct?

Q621
An elemental savant automatically converts spells that deal energy damage into their chosen energy type. Does this class feature affect which spells they can use to channel the abilities of reserve feats?

For example, suppose a sorcerer who became a water elemental savant has selected Wall of Fire as his first (and only) fourth level spell. He knows the spell as a fire spell, but casts it as a cold spell.

Can he use the cold cone ability of the Winter's Blast reserve feat as though he had a cold spell of fourth level available to cast, since he would cast the spell as a cold spell?

Would the same elemental savant be unable to use Wall of Fire to fuel the fire burst effect of the Fiery Burst reserve feat, since he is not able to cast it as a fire spell and the feat requires having a fire spell "available to cast"?

Q622
How do spells like Combust and Ray of Flame work after becoming an elemental savant of a type other than fire? Both spells deal damage upon striking their target, offering no saving throw. After the damage has been dealt, the target then makes a reflex save to avoid catching fire.

Would the spell no longer cause the target to catch fire, since it no longer deals fire damage?

Would the spell ignite the target with magical fire that deals energy damage appropriate to the savant's energy substitution, since it is a secondary effect of an energy-substituted spell?

Or would the target burn and take fire damage as it normally would, because it's magic and you don't need to explain how an ice ray could make someone burst into flames?

Q623
I need some clarification on the Opalescent Glare spell in the Spell Compendium.

The spell's range is "personal," the target is "you," and the duration in "instantaneous." The description states that "you gain a gaze attack usable against creature within 60 feet." The description makes it sound as though the spell permanently grants this ability to its caster. Is this correct?

Sith_Happens
2013-07-30, 08:03 AM
A 623

Technically, yes. It's pretty safe to assume that's not how the writers meant it to work, though.

See also: Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm).

qwertyu63
2013-07-30, 08:27 AM
Q624

Can you take Weapon Focus (Shield)?

Andezzar
2013-07-30, 08:54 AM
Q 625

What happens if a character suddenly does not have enough XP to support his current level? E.g. Fighter 4/Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 9, acquires enough XP to go to ECL 15 and takes the tenth level of Dragon disciple. He now is a half-dragon with 15 class levels and thus ECL 18, but he does not even have enough XP to have ECL 16.

Q 626

Does a character wearing a collar of umbral metamorphosis earn less XP than without it?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-30, 09:14 AM
A 625 You don't level up until you get enough experience until you have enough to hit ECL 19. In the meanwhile you chug along as normal.