PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Flame of Anor
2013-07-30, 10:22 AM
A 624

Yes. When you make a shield bash attack, the shield is counted as a "martial bludgeoning weapon". Weapon Focus requires you to select "one type of weapon". Therefore you can select the shield as your weapon. Of course, it will only be useful in shield bash attacks and will have no effect on your AC.

Pungatha
2013-07-30, 12:53 PM
Q 627

Would a Human Dragonfire Adept lose its breath weapon attack when under the effect of his Humanoid Shape invocation. The Humanoid Shape says that it functions like the Change Shape monster ability.

Basic question is are class abilities (like the Dragonfire Adept's Breath Weapon) carried through a Change Shape?

Thank You.

Karnith
2013-07-30, 12:58 PM
Q 627

Would a Human Dragonfire Adept lose its breath weapon attack when under the effect of his Humanoid Shape invocation.
A 627
Yes, the dragonfire adept would lose its breath weapon. Normally you would retain special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but breath weapons and gaze attacks are explicitly not retained after changing shape. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape):
The creature loses the natural weapons and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks.
(Emphasis mine)

KillianHawkeye
2013-07-30, 01:39 PM
A 627 correction:

He does retain the breath weapon because it is not a quality of his form, it is a feature of his class levels. You cannot just ignore the qualifying clause from that sentence.

Derjuin
2013-07-30, 01:40 PM
Q 628
For martial adepts with RHD, do you add 1/2 your RHD to your initiator level when determining the level of maneuver you can learn at levelup, or do you only count actual class levels?

I ask because under "Initiator Level", it says if you lack martial adept levels, your IL is equal to 1/2 your character level, while the next section, "Multiclass Characters", states you only use class levels.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-30, 03:53 PM
A 628

You follow the RAW, so only your class levels count for initiator level determination once you have at least one martial adept class.

Arkusus
2013-07-30, 06:12 PM
Q629

Is a spellcaster able to prepare lower level spells in a higher level spell slot? Without metamagics I mean.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-30, 06:19 PM
A 629 Yes.
Spell Slots

The various character class tables show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day. These openings for daily spells are called spell slots. A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-30, 06:58 PM
Q 630
Does a half-elf's elven blood ability permit it to qualify for things that have "Elf" as a requirement, such as the elven generalist ACF?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-30, 07:07 PM
A 630 No.
Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf. A racial prerequisite is not an effect.

Flame of Anor
2013-07-30, 09:21 PM
A 630 No. A racial prerequisite is not an effect.

Are you sure? Is "effect" actually defined anywhere?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-30, 10:13 PM
Re: A 630
Are you sure? Is "effect" actually defined anywhere?
Yes, I'm sure. Effect is defined in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/effect?s=t&path=/):
effect
-noun

1. something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin. An "effect" is an output. A prerequisite is an input.

Darkhope
2013-07-30, 11:45 PM
Q 631 Can an Intelligent item with Artificer levels make other magical items?

The Sword and Sorcery Book of Eldritch Might has a section in it on expanded rules for Intelligent Items and rules for classes an item can take. It was written by Monte Cook who also wrote the DMG. If an item with enough class levels gains the feat telikinetic hands so he can manipulate objects, he could essentially craft an item since he has all the pre-reqs. Now it also states it can only take a few feats from the players handbook. But the "Artificer" class in ECS gives those feats as class abilities. So if an item had this class he could craft other items right?

TuggyNE
2013-07-31, 06:23 AM
Yes, I'm sure. Effect is defined in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/effect?s=t&path=/): An "effect" is an output. A prerequisite is an input.

Re A630: So it's clear, then, by D&D rules, that there is no possible way you could refer to a feat's effect, in the sense of qualifying for it?

Put another way, I am not sure this is really RAW, so it should probably be taken to another thread.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-31, 06:38 AM
Re A630: So it's clear, then, by D&D rules, that there is no possible way you could refer to a feat's effect, in the sense of qualifying for it?
No. The feat's effect would necessarily not be in the Prerequisites section, but generally in its Benefit section.

A 631 Ask your DM.

Intelligent items are NPCs, and the DM controls all aspects of NPCs. From page 103 of Dungeon Master's Guide:

EVERYONE IN THE WORLD
It’s your job to portray everyone in the world who isn’t a player character. The DM also determines if 3rd-party books are allowed in their games. Unfortunately, questions related to such books are outside of the scope of this thread involving rules as written under license by Wizards of the Coast, the owners of the Dungeons & Dragons® game.

Norin
2013-07-31, 09:01 AM
Q632:

If i'm hidden, using the hide skill, can i use a maneuver and still remain hidden. That is, if the maneuver does not require an attack roll.

Example:
Swordsage hiding and using Shadow Garrotte on an unsuspecting target.
Will the target have any increased chance of finding/spotting/noticing/pinpointing me if i use the maneuver (strike)?

Andezzar
2013-07-31, 09:09 AM
Q 633

What does it cost a wizard to be able to cast a spell that he researched independently (PHB p. 179)? More specifically, how much time and money does it take to research a spell and once researched, is the spell automatically in the spellbook?

unseenmage
2013-07-31, 09:14 AM
Q 633

What does it cost a wizard to be able to cast a spell that he researched independently (PHB p. 179)? More specifically, how much time and money does it take to research a spell and once researched, is the spell automatically in the spellbook?

A633
DMG pg198
Researching a new spell costs 1,000gp per Spell Level (SL), takes 1 week per SL, and requires a DC 10+SL Spellcraft check. If the skill check fails the process must be repeated including paying for all costs again.
Then IIRC the spell has to be scribed into the spellbook separately.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-31, 12:41 PM
A 632 No.

A Hide check is only good to counter Spot checks once. If your character takes some action, there is something new for your enemies to get reactive Spot checks to try to notice. To oppose those new Spot checks you must make a new Hide check. If you have not done anything which allows a Hide check (and that's a fairly small list: movement, attacking, running, and charging) you're not hiding any more.

However, Shadow Garrotte does require an attack roll. If you still meet the requirements for the Hide skill, you may attempt to Hide while attacking, with the standard -20 penalty for doing so.

dascarletm
2013-07-31, 01:49 PM
Q634:

If you are an archer and have an ally between you and the target how does this play out assuming you can't move to get a better shot.

Grid:
Y=You
A=Ally
M=Monster
XXXXX
XXMXX
XXAXX
XXXXX
XXYXX
XXXXX

Can you just not shoot due to line of effect, or does the ally grant cover?

Q634a: Assume Monster and Ally are the same size
Q634b: Assume Monster is larger than your Ally

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 02:13 PM
A 634 a

Given the map you provided the monster would be provided cover and you might receive a penalty to attack if you don't have precise shot.

A 634 b

Same case as a monster can use any square it occupies to determine cover.

Andezzar
2013-07-31, 02:27 PM
A 634 a

Given the map you provided the monster would be provided cover and you might receive a penalty to attack if you don't have precise shot.
Contention: Cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover) grants +4 AC not a penalty to the attack.

dascarletm
2013-07-31, 02:30 PM
Contention: Cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover) grants +4 AC not a penalty to the attack.

If the +4 to AC is the deciding factor in hitting the monster would my ally be hit?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 02:35 PM

The penalty to attack comes from the target being in close combat and would be mitigated by the precise shot feat.

If the +4 to AC is the deciding factor in hitting the monster would my ally be hit?

No your ally is completely safe.

Andezzar
2013-07-31, 03:03 PM
The penalty to attack comes from the target being in close combat and would be mitigated by the precise shot feat.
True, I misread your post to mean that the attack penalty came from cover.

Flame of Anor
2013-07-31, 09:14 PM
Yes, I'm sure. Effect is defined in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/effect?s=t&path=/): An "effect" is an output. A prerequisite is an input.

1) The dictionary is not RAW.

2) The input produces the output. Qualifying for a prestige class or feat is an effect of having the prerequisites.

Norin
2013-08-01, 01:18 AM
Q632 (continued)

A 632 No.

A Hide check is only good to counter Spot checks once. If your character takes some action, there is something new for your enemies to get reactive Spot checks to try to notice. To oppose those new Spot checks you must make a new Hide check. If you have not done anything which allows a Hide check (and that's a fairly small list: movement, attacking, running, and charging) you're not hiding any more.

However, Shadow Garrotte does require an attack roll. If you still meet the requirements for the Hide skill, you may attempt to Hide while attacking, with the standard -20 penalty for doing so.

Just a little question here:
"If your character takes some action", does this mean any action, or just actions that requires moving or making sound?

(I was afb and had a brainfart of the attack roll there. Of course, it's an attack.)

Curmudgeon
2013-08-01, 02:13 AM
A 632 (continued)
Just a little question here:
"If your character takes some action", does this mean any action, or just actions that requires moving or making sound?
That depends on your DM.
Action: Varies. Every time you have a chance to spot something in a reactive manner you can make a Spot check without using an action. Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action. How your DM interprets that "something" will determine how often you need to make Hide checks. If the DM interprets it as "the same character" you'll likely only need to Hide once unless your enemies spend move actions for Spot retries. If the DM instead takes it to mean "the same character in the same place doing the same thing in the same way", then pretty much any action will require a new Hide check because your enemies will get reactive (no action) Spot checks which you will need to oppose.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-01, 04:56 AM
Q 635
Is there any racial trait type that is lost in neither an anti-magic field nor during a polymorph spell?

yougi
2013-08-01, 08:40 AM
Q636

Some abilities allow a caster to sacrifice their spell slots to fuel a power (Draconic Breath feat, Spell Shield ACF, etc...) Is the use of these powers subject to ASF?

Andezzar
2013-08-01, 09:11 AM
A 636

I'm assuming you meant to ask whether the powers are subject to ASF. No they are not. The powers are not arcane spells and as such do not suffer from ASF. Draconic Breath is an SUpernatural ability, so explicitly not an arcane spell.

Samalpetey
2013-08-01, 10:13 AM
Q637

Armor spikes do extra damage "On a successful grapple attack" What exactly is a grapple attack?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-01, 12:25 PM
A 637

It is an attack made during a grapple check.

Attack Your Opponent
You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a -4 penalty on such attacks.

You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.

Tvtyrant
2013-08-01, 12:41 PM
Q638

Are flasks considered brittle for the purposes of the Shatter spell? Is there a way to determine what "brittle" means?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-01, 01:20 PM
A 638

"Brittle" is a standard English word, and thus a dictionary definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brittle?s=t&path=/) will tell you what that word means. Whether the flasks used in your campaign are of brittle construction will be up to your DM. From page 126 of Player's Handbook (the Equipment chapter):
Flask: This ceramic, glass, or metal container is fitted with a tight stopper and holds 1 pint of liquid. Metal flasks aren't brittle. Also note that Shatter is a "spread" spell; the effect will turn corners and thus can get into open containers, but can't penetrate into covered spaces such as closed pouches and backpacks.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-01, 02:06 PM
A 630 Continued
Iron and steel, the principle metals of DND, are (particularly iron) brittle. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is not. Asking your DM what level of metallurgical skill your game has is important as it will give a more comprehensive answer.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-01, 03:25 PM
Re: A 630 Continued
Iron and steel, the principle metals of DND ...
Iron and steel are the principal metals of D&D arms and armor. Although we would make a flask out of stainless steel today, that would be a much harder crafting job with Renaissance-level technology. As you pointed out, iron is a more brittle metal. It also leaches metal into acidic contents, and the resulting metallic taste is undesirable. For that reason, iron and ordinary steel were not used for flasks. Tin was the preferred metal owing to its greater ductility and lower melting point; both of these make fabrication easier.

Aharon
2013-08-01, 04:10 PM
Q639
Do normal Inspire Courage and Dragonfire Inspiration stack or overlap? => Bard with both first round normal Inspire Courage, second round Dragonfire inspiration. Effect: +x/+x+xd6 or +0/+xd6?

Andezzar
2013-08-01, 04:21 PM
A 639

Technically they overlap, but since normal inspire courage gives morale bonuses and the modified inspire courage gives an unnamed damage bonus it still is +x to attack and +x+xd6 to damage.

Nettlekid
2013-08-01, 04:51 PM
Q640
Weirdstones from PGtF state that they block effects like teleportation and scrying within their location, but only within their location. It states that you could be right next to one and use Scrying to scry on someone outside the area, but not someone nearer to you. And it states that you couldn't teleport across the room, because teleportation doesn't work within its area.

My question is, could you use teleportation from within the area to teleport to somewhere outside the area, like being able to scry outside the area, or would that still be blocked?

EDIT: Followup similar question, what would happen if you were warded by Anticipate Teleportation and you teleported somewhere (outside the radius, say.) Would your spell delay yourself, despite not being there for the spell to take effect? (What about if you teleported within the radius?)

Perseus
2013-08-01, 08:40 PM
Q641

What happens to the Animal Companion of a Druid 5/ Planar Shepard 10 when the PC gets hit by a banishment or dismissal while on the material plane?

The Druid/PS gets banished to their new plane (say Syrania, the Azure Sky) but does the animal companion go along with him/her?

Arkusus
2013-08-01, 09:32 PM
Q642

Given that you can craft your own Specific Weapons, can you craft them out of special materials, like adamantium?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-01, 10:20 PM
A 641 Nothing.

The Planar Self ability applies only to the character, not their animal companion.

A 642 Yes.

One you have enough of the required materials (1/3 the item's price) you just start working. The increased cost from using the special material will require more crafting time. Additionally, your DM may impose a circumstance modification to the Craft DC for working with such a hard metal.

Valthonis
2013-08-02, 05:41 AM
Q 643

By RAW, while Concentrating to maintain a spell (such as Detect Magic) you are unable to cast other spells. Is this because concentrating takes a standard action or because you cannot think about two spells at once? In other words, can you cast spells that are faster than standard actions (such as a swift/immediate/free action) while actively concentrating on another spell?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-02, 06:07 AM
A 643

From page 176 of Player's Handbook:
You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one. The magic system rules say you cannot concentrate on two spells at the same time; it has nothing to do with the casting time of any spell.

Khedrac
2013-08-02, 06:39 AM
A640 part II
(Sorry I don't know Weirdstones.)

Anticipate Teleportation has no effect if the person with the spell teleports - it is not present at the destination to delay the arrival - it requires line of effect that is not there while teleporting.

Hytheter
2013-08-02, 08:39 AM
Q644
Are there any existing rules for nonlethal, wooden equivelants of standard weapons? Basically to be training swords, for example a wooden longsword that deals normal damage but nonlethal.
Not that it would be hard to come up with them myself, but it's nice to go by the book when possible.

cd4
2013-08-02, 10:45 AM
Q645 If I am standing on the edge of difficult terrain can I 5ft step onto normal terrain?

Q646 If I have Psicrystal containment can I:

A) Focus both myself and my psicrystal at the same time?

B) If I have Psionic Meditation as well, focus my psicrystal as a move action?

Methix
2013-08-02, 12:06 PM
Q647

For a dual-wielding Fighter with a base attack bonus that grants multiple main hand attacks, they could get 3 attacks on a full-attack (2 main, 1 offhand). How many attacks do they get after a move-action? And if it's more than 1, which attacks do they still get (both main attacks, 1 main/1 offhand)?

Thanks!

Urpriest
2013-08-02, 12:21 PM
Q647

For a dual-wielding Fighter with a base attack bonus that grants multiple main hand attacks, they could get 3 attacks on a full-attack (2 main, 1 offhand). How many attacks do they get after a move-action? And if it's more than 1, which attacks do they still get (both main attacks, 1 main/1 offhand)?

Thanks!

A647

Just one. In order to get multiple attacks you must make a full attack, as normal.

Andezzar
2013-08-02, 12:52 PM
A 647 Addendum

And the fighter would not get the TWF penalties either, because he is not dual-wielding at the time. He merely carries a weapon in the off hand.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-02, 01:49 PM
A 645 Yes.

Each square you move into difficult terrain costs double normal movement. Moving into normal terrain does not cost double movement, and thus you can take a 5' step.

Ruethgar
2013-08-02, 03:20 PM
Q 648 I know that weapn-like spells and spell like abilities would be applicable for various martial feats(improved unarmed attack, weapon focus, improved critical) but what about supernatural abilities that function similar to spells such as the Acid Splatter and Invisible Needle reserve feats?

Edit: Q 649 If a whirling frenzy barbarian takes fist of the forest, which rule is followed? "If you have the ability to enter a rage, you can do so while in a feral trance" or "A character can’t use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability)."

Inspector
2013-08-02, 05:21 PM
Q650

If a character is immune to ability damage - for example from the Sheltered Vitality spell (SpC p. 188) - how does Greater Divine Surge interact with this (ToB pg. 58)? I.e., can a character of the appropriate initiator level choose to "decide to take 10 points of constitution damage," gain +10 to the attack roll, deal an extra 20d8 damage (for a total of 26d8), but then have the immunity mean he does not actually suffer the ability damage?

yougi
2013-08-02, 05:32 PM
Q651

Does the feat Arcane Mastery allow you to take 10 on caster level checks when using items (wands, scrolls, etc...)

Verditude
2013-08-02, 05:39 PM
Q652

An assassin with a poisoned dagger (using wyvern poison, which does Con damage) uses the dagger to make a death attack. Which does the victim attempt to save against first, the poison or the death attack?

TuggyNE
2013-08-02, 06:33 PM
A646A: No. Your focuses are different, and must be gained separately.

A646B: Yes. It's still your focus, even if it's in your psicrystal. (Importantly, your psicrystal is unable to focus it, even if it becomes psionic on its own.)

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-02, 07:22 PM
A 651

Yes. As long as a caster level check is called for, you can take 10 on it.

O.j.s
2013-08-02, 08:02 PM
hello! i'm new in the forum and I have some questions abaout a CO wizard, as I don't wanna create a new post, perhaps I could ask here.

well I created a human Conjurer5[Imadiate Magic] / Master Specialist 10/Archmage3/Paragnostic Apostle 2. with 32pts 2 flaws. and I found out 2 problems in my build.

First is the resistance saves that are: F 17 / R 17 / W 25 how to improve it? i've tried create an item of " conviction" continuous but its too expensive and as I can't find a way to cast cleric Spells as A Wizar I couldn't use Empyreal or Resiliant's Armor special abilities either.

second. Does anyone know a way to replace the " Wind Wall" spell to g limited wish me agains archers? i know that i can cast it using limited wish but, 200xp hurts.

TY.

powerdemon
2013-08-02, 08:04 PM
hello! i'm new in the forum and I have some questions abaout a CO wizard, as I don't wanna create a new post, perhaps I could ask here.

well I created a human Conjurer5[Imadiate Magic] / Master Specialist 10/Archmage3/Paragnostic Apostle 2. with 32pts 2 flaws. and I found out 2 problems in my build.

First is the resistance saves that are: F 17 / R 17 / W 25 how to improve it? i've tried create an item of " conviction" continuous but its too expensive and as I can't find a way to cast cleric Spells as A Wizar I couldn't use Empyreal or Resiliant's Armor special abilities either.

second. Does anyone know a way to replace the " Wind Wall" spell to g limited wish me agains archers? i know that i can cast it using limited wish but, 200xp hurts.

TY.

That would actually be the perfect thing TO make a new thread for. This thread is for rules questions rather than advice.

re_e
2013-08-02, 09:01 PM
Q653

Metamorphic Transfer feat gives 3 uses per day of one specific supernatural ability per form, or 3 uses per day of supernatural abilities?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-02, 09:04 PM
A 648 No.

There are specific rules which allow weaponlike spells to work with those feats; see Complete Arcane on page 72:
Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage functions as a weapon in certain respects. As such, several feats that improve weapon performance can be used to enhance weaponlike spells. You would need specific rules language to extend this treatment to Supernatural abilities, and I'm not aware of any such treatment in the rules.

A 649 Both.

You are allowed to enter a rage while in a feral trance, but not any form of frenzy.

A 650 No.
For each point of Constitution damage you take, you gain a +1 bonus on your attack roll and deal an extra 2d8 points of damage. You only get the listed boost if you actually take the CON damage, so immunity to ability damage will also make you immune from gaining this additional benefit of Greater Divine Surge.

Vaern
2013-08-03, 03:16 AM
Q654
If a suit of armor that normally includes gauntlets is made of mithral, are the gauntlets also made of mithral (and therefore automatically masterwork)?

(Also, still waiting on 620-622; I would very much like to know if I can set things on fire with cold magic.)

Andezzar
2013-08-03, 03:47 AM
Q 655

What happens if you do not don the greaves/gauntlets/helmet included in some suits of armor?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-03, 09:34 AM
A 644

No. However, there is the Merciful weapon enhancement which turns all of a weapon's damage into non-lethal damage.

Kred
2013-08-03, 01:41 PM
Q656
Psychic Reformation power
Can this power affect N levels per 1 manifest? Or 1 lvl only?

Q657
Craft Universal Item
E.g. item's base price = 50000 g.
1) Spend 1/25 of the item’s base price in XP = 2000 xp
2) One-half of this price for raw materials = 25000 g
So, to craft this item i must spend 25000g+2000xp? And rest 25000g go away to nonexistence?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-03, 03:22 PM
A 655 Ask your DM.

The game has rules for putting on all of the pieces of a set of armor, but sloppily, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#gettingIntoAndOutOfArmor); the penalty is -1 to AC and a similar increment to ACP. How much worse actually choosing not to put on all of a suit of armor would be is up to your individual DM.

A 656

You can alter decisions from just the current level at the base price for PP and XP, or from a single or multiple levels earlier for a higher price. The power points expended don't change if you alter choices made at earlier levels, but the XP cost rises.
The subject can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels, if both the subject and the manifester agree to pay the necessary XP before this power is manifested (see below). The subject must abide by the standard rules for selecting skills and feats, and so it cannot take feats for which it doesn’t qualify or take crossclass skills as class skills.
XP Cost

This power costs 50 XP to manifest to reformat choices made when the character reached her current level. For each additional previous level into which the revision reaches, the power costs an additional 50 XP. The manifester and subject split all XP costs evenly.
A 657 Yes.

The rest of the cost is the value of your crafting labor.

Kred
2013-08-03, 03:28 PM
A 656

You can alter decisions from just the current level at the base price for PP and XP, or from a single or multiple levels earlier for a higher price. The power points expended don't change if you alter choices made at earlier levels, but the XP cost rises.

So, to change from 5 to 1 lvl i must pay 7pp + 250 xp or 7*5 + 750 xp?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-03, 04:38 PM
A 653
It gives 3 uses per day per form change. Ex: You change into a red dragon, you can use its breath weapon 3/day, every 1d4 rounds. If you later on change into a succubus, you can use her energy drain 3/day.

aleucard
2013-08-03, 05:11 PM
Q. 658

If someone's burrowed into the earth/rock/etc. while in the area of an Earthquake or similar effect (anything that causes the ground to shake violently), what happens to them? I'd think they'd take direct damage on top of whatever normal effects there happen to be (aside from losing footing; they're essentially swimming, that's a non-issue), but I'm not a DM.

Valthonis
2013-08-03, 05:21 PM
Q 659

Prismatic Wall states that "creatures trying to attack you or pass through the wall" are affected by the wall's colors. Attempting to pass through the wall makes sense to be affected, but under what circumstances would a creature be affected by the wall when they try to attack you? Do you need to be adjacent to the wall for this clause to trigger?

Edit: Also, do all the wall's remaining colors affect creatures (as Prismatic Sphere) or does only the current layer affect creatures? In other words, would only Red (the first layer) affect creatures until it was dispelled or do all 7 colors affect creatures unless a layer is dispelled?

Adept_Scholar
2013-08-03, 05:57 PM
Q: 660

3.5 D.M. Guide R.A.W. states under "Fast Movement" for barbarian that said class's base land speed is +10 and applies "only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load"; however, it then states: "When wearing medium armor or carrying a heavy load, his [human barbarian] speed drops to 30 feet". So which is it: benefit of fast movement when wearing medium armor or when not wearing medium armor...? :smallconfused: (If it functions the same as the ability under the monk, then it would seem this applies only when the class is wearing no armor)...

Adept_Scholar
2013-08-03, 05:58 PM
*3.5 P.H. rather.

powerdemon
2013-08-03, 06:02 PM
Q: 660

3.5 D.M. Guide R.A.W. states under "Fast Movement" for barbarian that said class's base land speed is +10 and applies "only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load"; however, it then states: "When wearing medium armor or carrying a heavy load, his [human barbarian] speed drops to 30 feet". So which is it: benefit of fast movement when wearing medium armor or when not wearing medium armor...? :smallconfused: (If it functions the same as the ability under the monk, then it would seem this applies only when the class is wearing no armor)...
A 660
The SRD does not have that second line you quoted.

Fast Movement (Ex)
A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
So you would still get fast movement in medium armor as long as you are not also carrying a heavy load.

EDIT: I just looked at my book and saw the line you are referring to.

I believe the confusion is that Medium armor reduces your speed to 30 from 40. Without the Fast Movement ability, you would be reduced to 20ft while in medium armor.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-03, 06:09 PM
A 659

From the SRD:

Each color in the wall has a special effect. The accompanying table shows the seven colors of the wall, the order in which they appear, their effects on creatures trying to attack you or pass through the wall, and the magic needed to negate each color.

Emphasis mine. They person would be hit by all seven veils when they attack you with a melee attack, regardless of reach. If any veils are dispelled only they are ignored; the rest still apply.

Brooksie
2013-08-03, 06:13 PM
I am creating a sniper with 2 levels of solitary hunter ranger wielding a truebane bow, shooting Raptor Arrows. Each have bane properties. I was wondering if they stack? If they do, it would be +2 attack/damage (ranger) + 2 attack +2d6 (raptor arrow) + 2 attack +2d6 (truebane) = +6 attack, +4d6+2 damage

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-03, 06:17 PM
A 658
By RAW nothing happens to someone underground when an Earthquake spell is cast, they are neither in a cave, nor near a cliff, nor in open ground, nor in a structure, nor in a lake, river, or marsh.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-03, 06:18 PM
Re: A 656
So, to change from 5 to 1 lvl i must pay 7pp + 250 xp or 7*5 + 750 xp?
The PP cost is 7. The XP cost for any number of allowed changes up to 4 levels back is 5*50 = 250 XP, but the manifester and target creature split this equally; your cost would be 125 XP unless you were both manifester and subject.

A 658 Ask your DM.

As you noted, this case isn't covered in the rules.

A 660

Wizards of the Coast didn't address this in the Player's Handbook Errata file, but they did provide revised rules in the Revised (v.3.5) System Reference Document (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35). In the SRD the example is omitted. Thus, the Barbarian's fast movement works when they're wearing medium armor, as specified.

kkplx
2013-08-03, 06:23 PM
Q661

If a PC took Steel Dragon (Dragons of Faerun, not Web version) as his Race and Sorcerer as his class, at the start of the game, would he be:

ECL3, Sorcerer level 2
ECL 3, Sorcerer level 1 x2 (2 separate spell lists and times he can cast spells)
ECL 3, Sorcerer level 1, Sorcerer CL 2
ECL 3, something else?

Chronos
2013-08-03, 06:47 PM
A 661:
I don't know Steel Dragons in particular, but I assume that they cast spells as a sorcerer of some level? When a creature has innate spellcasting as some class, it stacks with levels of that class. So if a dragon casts as a first-level sorcerer innately, and then takes a level of the sorcerer class, the dragon then casts as a second-level sorcerer. This gives all of the benefits of casting: Spells known, spells per day, and caster level.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-03, 06:54 PM
Q 662
Succbus was updated between 3.0 and 3.5, but her monster class was not. IF I want to take levels in her monster class, does it follow the 3.0 succubus? What about 3.0 only rules (like dr 10/+2)?

Valthonis
2013-08-03, 07:05 PM
A 659

From the SRD:

Emphasis mine. They person would be hit by all seven veils when they attack you with a melee attack, regardless of reach. If any veils are dispelled only they are ignored; the rest still apply.

Yes but where are they hitting you in relation to the wall? I am assuming that RAI means that they attacker is affected by the wall if they attempt to attack through it; however, RAW does not specifically that as far as I can tell...? If it does not specifically state that they must attack you through the wall to be affected, technically you could be attacked anywhere and the wall would trigger?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-03, 07:44 PM
A 662 Ask your DM.

From page 4 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments. Your DM will either need to make all the "minor adjustments" necessary, or decide to disallow that 3.0 content for lack of those necessary adjustments.

kkplx
2013-08-03, 11:03 PM
Q 611

What books have the baselines needed to use another (sped up) plane for crafting and/or aging a Dragon in a time-constrained campaign?

It might be worth mentioning that said access to plane has to be accessible with spells, not supernatural or PrC-Abilities

Reposting since it never got answered

Metahuman1
2013-08-04, 02:13 AM
Q 663

I'm looking for a template that will grant a natural weapon/attack that gives full STR mod when used, even when used in conjunction with something else in attack routine, such as unarmed strikes.

I would prefer the template to have LA +0 if at all possible.

If, by some twist of fate, it can offer boosts to a stat and/or still leave the base creature looking mostly normal, then major bonus points! Though this is just a nice plus and not a necessity for my purposes.

Does anyone know a template that fits the bill?

GernifTheBard
2013-08-04, 09:34 AM
Q664

If a character can take two standard actions per round, would taking two total defense actions result in a +8 to AC because dodge bonuses stack?

Andezzar
2013-08-04, 10:43 AM
A 664

Yes.

roguemetal
2013-08-04, 11:35 AM
Q665

Is it possible to utilize the Epic section of the SRD without having an Epic level character? Some feats specify Epic as a requirement, needing to be purchased through the Epic bonus feats, but some things, such as the templates, don't seem to state a restriction.

Chronos
2013-08-04, 12:05 PM
A 665:

Feats with the [epic] type all require that the character be level 21 or higher. Any means of gaining a feat can work for them, not just bonus feats, so long as you meet that prerequisite.

Most of the templates don't have a listed LA, but there are very, very few DMs who will allow them as such. They're mostly intended to be used on enemies.

Skills, however, have no particular epic requirement. Anyone can use the so-called "epic skill uses", as long as you can meet the DC.

heavyfuel
2013-08-04, 12:53 PM
Q 666

Does the "Martial Arcanist" feature from the Abjurant Champion affects your spell per day?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-04, 01:14 PM
A 666

No, It just increases caster level. All caster level does it improve the power of spells and qualify for things.

Shloogorgh
2013-08-04, 02:16 PM
Q 667

When wild shaped into a creature that has special attacks with DCs based on hit dice, do these scale based on your own hit dice or are they set by the base creature?

Ex- I wild shape into an 8 hd Cave Triceratops which has a trample attack at DC 18 (10 + 1/2 HD + strength mod). For the sake of argument, I am level 16 and am not doing anything to buff my strength. Would the DC increase to 22 due to my higher level or would it stay at 18 because the creature is 8 hd? I'm assuming class level = hd for this purpose.

Infundibular
2013-08-04, 03:09 PM
Q 668

If after applying a template, the creature still qualifies, can it be applied again? For example, if human acquires the Wereboar template, their base type does not change from Humanoid. Therefore, since they still qualify for the template, can it be applied again?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-04, 03:42 PM
A 667 No.

These two points from the description of Alternate Form are relevant:

The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
So you would get the extraordinary special attacks of the assumed form, based on your own hit dice, if these special attacks are specifically stated to be factored on all hit dice. However, that's not actually the way these DCs are computed. From page 6 of Monster Manual, under Special Attacks and Special Qualities:
When a special ability allows a saving throw, the kind of save and the save DC is noted in the descriptive text. Most saving throws against special abilities have DCs calculated as follows: 10 + 1/2 the attacker’s racial Hit Dice + the relevant ability modifier. The save DC is given in the creature’s description along with the ability on which the DC is based. Because you retain your own hit dice, you don't have any Cave Triceratops racial hit dice; if you figure your Trample Reflex save DC based on that metric you would add 0 for ½ the HD in this computation. You're obviously much better off sticking with the racial HD figure stated in the assumed form's description.

Urpriest
2013-08-04, 04:38 PM
Q 663

I'm looking for a template that will grant a natural weapon/attack that gives full STR mod when used, even when used in conjunction with something else in attack routine, such as unarmed strikes.

I would prefer the template to have LA +0 if at all possible.

If, by some twist of fate, it can offer boosts to a stat and/or still leave the base creature looking mostly normal, then major bonus points! Though this is just a nice plus and not a necessity for my purposes.

Does anyone know a template that fits the bill?

A 663

The only way this could work would be a template that grants the ability to use a natural weapon in a Flurry of Blows, and as far as I know that does not exist. Outside of special attacks like a Flurry of Blows, all natural weapons only deal 1/2 Str when used as secondary weapons.

Qc Storm
2013-08-04, 05:46 PM
About Fangshield Barbarians...

Q 669

How does Awesome Charge work with Pounce? Am I allowed an Awesome Blow, then some normal attacks? Several awesome blows? Nothing at all?

How does Fast Charge work? Is the 10ft enhancement bonus doubled by the charge?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-04, 06:22 PM
A 669

Awesome Charge allows a single "attack at the end of the charge" to benefit as if using the Awesome Blow feat. If using Pounce, only the last attack of the full attack would be the one at the end of the Charge special full-round action.

Fast Charge works as stated: a +10' boost to speed when charging.
You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent. Yes, you may move up to double your adjusted speed.

Darkhope
2013-08-04, 06:37 PM
Q 670

Do multiple Aura of Despair Blackguard class feature stack? Its an un-named penalty? If 4 were side by side do all within 10' take -8 penalty to all saves?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-04, 07:10 PM
A 670 No.
Aura of Despair (Su)

Beginning at 3rd level, the blackguard radiates a malign aura that causes enemies within 10 feet of him to take a -2 penalty on all saving throws.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). The source is (an instance of) Aura of Despair in each case, so these cannot stack.

qwertyu63
2013-08-04, 07:50 PM
Q671

What school of magic is the aura of a generic magic weapon/armor? For example, a +1 longsword or +1 chain shirt.

Urpriest
2013-08-04, 08:08 PM
Q671

What school of magic is the aura of a generic magic weapon/armor? For example, a +1 longsword or +1 chain shirt.

A671

Weapons are Evocation, Armor is Abjuration. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsandDetectMagic).

Amakule
2013-08-05, 03:57 AM
Q 672: A Warforged is a Construct. Constructs gain bonus HD based on size. Do Warforged gain bonus HD based on size?

Infundibular
2013-08-05, 06:56 AM
Q 673

Do Deformity bonuses stack with other deformity bonuses? Do perfection bonuses?

Vaern
2013-08-05, 07:40 AM
Q674
For wizards created above level 1, what is the cost to add new spells to your spellbook during character creation? Is it assumed that the wizard has wizardly friends or something that he can copy additional spells from, paying only the 100 gp per page to scribe the spells? Or does he need to buy scrolls of the spells to be learned in addition to the base cost of scribing them?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-05, 07:55 AM
A 672 No.

You appear to be confused. Constructs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType) gain bonus hit points (not hit dice) based on their size. Additionally, Warforged hit dice are entirely from class levels rather than Construct racial HD.
A warforged derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.
A 673 No.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. With three exceptions (dodge, racial, and circumstance), all typed bonuses are subject to this stacking rule.

A 674

You get the initial spells known at level 1, plus 2 spells per level free. After that, you have nothing in your spellbook other than what your DM allows at character creation (which could be none; there's nothing in the RAW which presumes any particular assistance before you start playing the character). See the rules for CREATING PCS ABOVE 1ST LEVEL on page 199 of Dungeon Master's Guide. Talk to your DM about what spells the character might have had access to, and how much it would cost to acquire copies of them. After that expense you would pay the normal 100 gp/page cost, all out of your starting character wealth.

Amakule
2013-08-05, 02:16 PM
Re: A 672: My mistake. So, they do gain 20 bonus HP? It's not mentioned in anything I can see on what they do not get.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-05, 02:21 PM
Re: A 672

Yes, as I stated: Constructs get bonus hit points based on their size.

re_e
2013-08-05, 06:23 PM
Q675
If a psion manifest a twined schism, he can make two extra purely mental standard actions in his next round?

Q676
Meditate to gain psionic focus is a purely mental action?

Codyage
2013-08-06, 12:39 AM
Q675
If a psion manifest a twined schism, he can make two extra purely mental standard actions in his next round?

Q676
Meditate to gain psionic focus is a purely mental action?

A 675, 676 sorta

All though I am not 100% sure on this, but the schism power lets your 2nd mind take only standard mental actions.

Gain Psionic Focus

Merely holding a reservoir of psionic power points in mind gives psionic characters a special energy. Psionic characters can put that energy to work without actually paying a power point cost—they can become psionically focused as a special use of the Concentration skill.

If you have 1 or more power points available, you can meditate to attempt to become psionically focused. The DC to become psionically focused is 20. Meditating is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. When you are psionically focused, you can expend your focus on any single Concentration check you make thereafter. When you expend your focus in this manner, your Concentration check is treated as if you rolled a 15. It’s like taking 10, except that the number you add to your Concentration modifier is 15. You can also expend your focus to gain the benefit of a psionic feat—many psionic feats are activated in this way.

Once you are psionically focused, you remain focused until you expend your focus, become unconscious, or go to sleep (or enter a meditative trance, in the case of elans), or until your power point reserve drops to 0.

When you meditate for a Psionic focus, it is a full round action. I do not know if it is purely mental, or not. Sorry.

Q677

Does a player turned lich from Dread Necromancer, or Vampire from Shadow Sun Ninja prestige classes, retain the Level Adjustment for those templates, or do they not gain any, since it was given by the class?

Andezzar
2013-08-06, 01:04 AM
A 677

BY RAW, they gain the template, the template includes the LA. Since there is no rule of waiving the LA if templates are gained from classes, they do still suffer from it. A very popular houserule however is to waive the LA.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-06, 01:07 AM
A 677 additional

Shadow sun ninjas who become vampires via their class ability are NPCs.

RoyVG
2013-08-06, 03:33 PM
A 672 additional

Warforged have the Living Construct subtype, therefore do not recieve the Construct Bonus HP based on size (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha) because the Living Construct subtype supersedes some of the Construct traits.

Arkusus
2013-08-06, 04:15 PM
Q677

I've got a player who's trying to make a Dreamblade... and for the life of me, I can't find where a dreamblade comes from.

Does anyone know the book a dreamblade is from? I'm concerned because I know a few books he's looked at before were from 3.0 or something else.

Adept_Scholar
2013-08-06, 05:36 PM
Q: 678

Are characters who pick up the two-weapon fighting feat able to attack with an off-handed weapon (dual-wield) prior to picking up their second attack via level advancement?

Arkusus
2013-08-06, 05:39 PM
Q: 678

Are characters who pick up the two-weapon fighting feat able to attack with an off-handed weapon (dual-wield) prior to picking up their second attack via level advancement?

Yes, a second level ranger for instance (with the melee choice) can with a full attack hit with both weapons.

Point of interest, you don't even need the feat, you just take massive penalties without it.

Pinkie Pyro
2013-08-06, 08:23 PM
Q: 679

Precocious apprentice requires an arcane caster level 1st, could it be taken with hexblade, which gets arcane spells, but can't cast any at 1st level?

mattie_p
2013-08-06, 09:00 PM
A 679: No.

Through 3rd level, a hexblade has no caster level.

Due to the special clause of Precocious Apprentice where the feat may only be selected by a 1st level character, a 1st level hexblade is ineligible.

Arkusus
2013-08-06, 10:21 PM
Q680

What's an easy way to get a bard the dragon blooded subtype

mattie_p
2013-08-06, 10:30 PM
A 680: Dragon Magic indicates several LA +0 races (Silverbrow Humans are highly suggested) which all grant the dragonblood subtype. Dragonborn (from Races of the Dragon) also receive the subtype, as do Kobolds, both for LA +0. Anything with the dragon type automatically qualifies for anything requiring dragonblooded, as well, per Dragon Magic p4..

faircoin
2013-08-06, 11:02 PM
Q 681

Do craft construct constructs count as magical items for the purposes of wish?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 12:18 AM
A 681 No.

Creatures and items are in separate categories in the D&D rules. Craft Construct results in creatures of the Construct type, not items.

faircoin
2013-08-07, 12:21 AM
Q 682

Launching off A 681, the spell clock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) requires both craft construct and craft wondrous item to create. Is it therefore a construct or a wondrous item?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 12:35 AM
A 682 Ask your DM.

This looks more like an item than a creature to me (as it has no specified movement, which is a characteristic common to most creatures), but that's just my best guess. Absent a clear statement in the rules, your individual DM will make the call.

ben-zayb
2013-08-07, 12:40 AM
Q 683

Does the Trip maneuver impose some sort of weight/encumbrance limitations? If yes, does that mean Setting Sun fails at making a DEX-based trip build?

Andezzar
2013-08-07, 12:41 AM
A 682 Addendum

It does not have hit dice either. The text does not provide ability scores or mentions a lack thereof. Both are further indicators that the spell clock is an item.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 12:49 AM
A 683 No.

The Trip special attack has Strength and size adjustments, but not weight or encumbrance limits.

Andezzar
2013-08-07, 01:43 AM
Q 684

What happens to your current HP when CON damage gets healed?

Example: A creature with 4HD and 30HP, is damaged so his current HP are 25, then it gets hit with 2 points of CON Damage so his new current HP will be 21 out of a maximum of 26 HP. So when this creature receives a restoration spell will his current HP remain 21 (of 30 then) or will it be 25 of 30?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 01:49 AM
A 684

D&D rules say you track damage and adjust relative to your hit point total, so "current hit points" is always a derived figure rather a running total. Your example creature has 5 points of damage, and would still have 5 points of damage after their CON was adjusted.

tofucake
2013-08-07, 02:25 AM
Q685

What happens when a creature that has unusual natural weapons, such as a shadow and its strength damaging melee attack, gets buffed with spells or effects that increase it's damage ?

eg if a shadow with a natural melee attack of 1d6 strength damage gets buffed with a spell or effect that increases weapon damage by 1, does the shadow do 1d6+1 strength damage?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 02:37 AM
A 685

A creature with natural weapons, and an effect that increases weapon damage without specifying whether that effect is for manufactured weapons only or also natural weapons, would indeed increase the natural weapon damage. However, a Shadow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm) does not have natural weapons. Instead, it has a special attack which does not rely on weapons, but on touch alone.
unarmed attack

A melee attack made with no weapon in hand. The Shadow's special attack would not be improved by such a spell.

TuggyNE
2013-08-07, 02:59 AM
A 681 No.

Creatures and items are in separate categories in the D&D rules. Craft Construct results in creatures of the Construct type, not items.

A681 contention: Where is it stated that magic items cannot be constructs, or vice versa? For one thing, intelligent magic items are explicitly treated as constructs. And, of course, Craft Construct is an [item creation] feat.
An item creation feat lets a spellcaster create a magic item of a certain type.

Objects and creatures are of course mutually exclusive, but where is it stated that magic items are always objects?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 03:37 AM
Re: A 681 contention
Where is it stated that magic items cannot be constructs, or vice versa?
The result of Craft Construct is specifically stated to be a Construct, rather than a magic item which is treated as such. Your "contention" isn't germane to the answer. The burden of proof is upon you to show that there's a RAW statement which invalidates the answer given.

TuggyNE
2013-08-07, 04:46 AM
Re: A 681 contention
The result of Craft Construct is specifically stated to be a Construct, rather than a magic item which is treated as such. Your "contention" isn't germane to the answer. The burden of proof is upon you to show that there's a RAW statement which invalidates the answer given.

Re: A681: The general rule that [item creation] feats produce magic items is not obviously violated or contradicted by the wording of Craft Construct. As such, it applies, and therefore the result is a magic item. Certainly, it is a construct as opposed to any other sort of magic item, but since the categories are not mutually exclusive, that indicates nothing.

Wondrous items are noted to be objects, in all cases. Other magic items still seem to have no such restriction.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 05:46 AM
Re: A 681
Wondrous items are noted to be objects, in all cases. Other magic items still seem to have no such restriction.
Actually, most magic items are objects. From Magic Item Descriptions in Dungeon Master's Guide:
A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite. From SPECIAL MAGIC ITEM RULES in Magic Item Compendium:
A lesser augment crystal functions only when attached to an object with a magical enhancement bonus of +1 or higher (such as a +1 longsword or bracers of armor +l). So these passages also identify scrolls, wands, staves, armor, and weapons as objects.

I'm afraid this is exceeding the discussion limits of this forum. At this point, your argument has the advantage. I can't find a RAW foundation that Constructs are not treated as magic items as well as creatures. That might come as a surprise to some players of Warforged characters.

kkplx
2013-08-07, 07:00 AM
Q 686

Is there a way for an Artificer to fill the function of a counterspeller for a party, aside from a (Greater) Ring of Counterspells and Dispel Magic Scrolls/Wands?

Basically, Scrolls/Wands/Et.Wands/Staffs/Schema/SpellstoringItem of spells - what conditions have to be met for them to be used as a readied action to counterspell, if at all possible:

Have the correct item in your/at hand
Have the correct item available with a Free Action
Have the correct item available with an Immediate Action
Have the correct item available with a Swift Action
Have the correct item available with a Move Action

Ruethgar
2013-08-07, 10:09 AM
Q 687 How are spell slots designated arcane or divine? Is it by what spells can be used with said slots? I do hope it is defined by RAW somewhere.

Khedrac
2013-08-07, 10:34 AM
A 687 They are defined by the class that grants the spell slots.

Ruethgar
2013-08-07, 10:44 AM
RE: A 687 Where? I can only find spells being defined by class, not slots.

Spells
A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. A wizard must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below).

Spells
A cleric casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. However, his alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A cleric must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).

No mention of slot type. Which lends me to believe that it is defined by what type of spells are usable with the slot, not necessarily by class though this is most often determined by class. However I cannot find if/where it is defined which is why I asked here with the masters of RAW.

mattie_p
2013-08-07, 11:04 AM
Re: A 687: Look in the class description.

Spells
A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. A wizard must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below).

Like other spellcasters, a wizard can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Wizard.

Spells
A cleric casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. However, his alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A cleric must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).

Like other spellcasters, a cleric can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Cleric.

killem2
2013-08-07, 11:08 AM
Q 688: Can you cast spells, while using hide in plain sight? Like, cast, then go back to hiding?

unseenmage
2013-08-07, 11:11 AM
Q689

How could a character detect a soul residing within a mundane, non-magical item or object?

Ruethgar
2013-08-07, 02:27 PM
A 688 Yes. I believe it would fall under the sniping rules of the hide skill, you must be hidden already, attack, then you take a -20 penalty on your hide check to hide after attacking. It is a move action though so that is something to keep in mind.

Players Handbook 3.5 p. 76 column 2 paragraph 2

Andezzar
2013-08-07, 02:42 PM
A 688 Yes. I believe it would fall under the sniping rules of the hide skill, you must be hidden already, attack, then you take a -20 penalty on your hide check to hide after attacking. It is a move action though so that is something to keep in mind.

Players Handbook 3.5 p. 76 column 2 paragraph 2Contention

Casting a spell is not necessarily an attack. If the casting is a standard action, the character could simply use his movement to hide as normal (without any penalty if he moves half his speed or less).

It is unclear whether spells that are considered ranged attacks, have to use the rules for sniping, or could use the rule above.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 05:34 PM
A 688 Maybe.

Hide in Plain Sight is a term shared by a large number of abilities with at least six different sets of characteristics. What they all have in common is that they will (in particular environmental conditions) allow you to bypass the "not being observed" requirement to use the Hide skill. Some of the versions of HiPS (generally only the Supernatural ones) will also bypass the cover/concealment requirement to Hide; others are paired with a class ability (Camouflage) which does that separately; and some do nothing to help in that regard and you'll need actual cover/concealment before you can Hide.

Assuming you can continuously satisfy all the requirements to use the Hide skill, there are several possibilities regarding casting a spell and attempting to Hide.

As mentioned previously by Ruethgar, the special case of Sniping can be used if you were previously hidden,
your spell is a ranged attack, and
you use a move action Hide check afterward. You will become visually apparent while casting the spell, meaning everybody will get a reactive (no action) Spot check to notice you at your attacking location. You don't move anywhere when using Sniping rules, so if they attack that square after you Hide they've got a 50% miss chance. Sniping isn't helped by Hide in Plain Sight unless your version of HiPS is how you're handling the cover/concealment requirement of the Hide skill. Sniping always involves a -20 penalty to your Hide check.
If your spell is an attack (ranged or melee) you can Hide while attacking, not using the Sniping rules. If you were already hidden and also surpass your enemy's Spot check with your Hide score you never become visually apparent. Even if you're making a touch attack against an adjacent enemy they won't have a clue if you're in the next square or 30' away. There is a -20 penalty to Hide while attacking.
For any type of spell (including an attack spell) you can move afterward and Hide as part of that movement. You'll become visually apparent while casting, but you won't remain in that square. This option includes any actual movement, including a 5' step. There may be a penalty to Hide depending on your speed. (A 5' step necessitates a -5 Hide penalty because you have to go the full 5', rather than 2.5' at half speed; 2.5' won't actually move you out of your square.)
If you somehow can cast your spell while running or charging (not before or after, but during those actions), you can Hide at the same time. There is a -20 penalty to Hide while running or charging.
The basic limitation of the Hide skill is that, except for the oddball Sniping case, Hide is never a separate action. Instead, there are only a limited number of actions (all listed above) during which the rules allow you to make a Hide check.

Jsaur
2013-08-07, 08:29 PM
Q: 690

Can Silent Image be used to create a bright light? If so:

690A. Can that light be used to illuminate an area like a dungeon room?

690B. Can the light be used to harm an enemy?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-07, 08:50 PM
A 690 No.
Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can. They cannot cause damage to objects or creatures, support weight, provide nutrition, or provide protection from the elements. Consequently, these spells are useful for confounding or delaying foes, but useless for attacking them directly. A figment like Silent Image cannot produce a real effect, which would include illumination. Most explicitly Silent Image cannot damage anything.

Larkas
2013-08-07, 09:20 PM
Q691: If a shapechanger (say, a doppelganger) druid went into warshaper, which ability would it get at that class's 5th level: flashmorph or multimorph?

mattie_p
2013-08-07, 10:41 PM
A 691: Multimorph.

A 5th-level warshaper gains one of two class features...

If it casts the polymorph spell, has polymorph as a spell-like ability usable less often than at will, or has the wild shape class feature, it instead gains the multimorph class feature.

The RAW is clear you only get one of the two features, in an either/or configuration. If you have polymorph or wild shape, you gain multimorph instead of flashmorph.

Alokue
2013-08-08, 12:02 AM
Q 692 : When Shadow Blend, via the Shadow Creature template, gives full concealment, do other characters know which square the Shadow Creature is in, or is he invisible?

mattie_p
2013-08-08, 12:21 AM
A 692: No, that creature is effectively invisible, barring other abilities.

From the Rules Compendium:

If you have line of effect (see page 80) to a target but not line of sight (see page 81), that target is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think that foe occupies.

When line of sight is blocked by something that doesn’t otherwise physically block or prevent an attack that doesn’t require line of sight (such as fog), you can still make that attack, but your target is treated as if it were invisible (see page 76).

Andezzar
2013-08-08, 12:48 AM
Q 693

There may be a penalty to Hide depending on your speed. (A 5' step necessitates a -5 Hide penalty because you have to go the full 5', rather than 2.5' at half speed; 2.5' won't actually move you out of your square.)

Where do you get that a 5ft step induces the penalty? Moving faster than half your speed gives you the -5. A 5ft step only takes more than half your speed if your speed is lower than 10 ft, but greater than 5 ft (at which point you cannot take a 5 ft step at all). That does not come up very often.

kkplx
2013-08-08, 12:51 AM
Q 694

If i have the ability to cast Flesh to Stone, from either a Prepared/Known spell, a Scroll, Staff or Schema, can I decide to instead cast Stone to Flesh?
For some reason I've always thought I could, but I couldn't see an according rule in the PHB.

Andezzar
2013-08-08, 12:55 AM
A 694

You can't. Those are two separate spells. Knowing one does not give you the ability to cast the other, just like knowing ray of enfeeblement does not give you the ability to cast ray of clumsiness.

kkplx
2013-08-08, 02:47 AM
A 694

You can't. Those are two separate spells. Knowing one does not give you the ability to cast the other, just like knowing ray of enfeeblement does not give you the ability to cast ray of clumsiness.

While I've been informed on the fact that it is not possible in 3.5 to use one to cast the other, this was actually possible in earlier editions, which is where my confusion stems from.

On a different note, please reread your analogy to find how completely unrelated it is. The correct comparison would be Cure/Inflict X Wounds or Create/Destroy Water.

DeltaEmil
2013-08-08, 04:01 AM
Q 695

Do the spells under the "All" category count as spells of the shugenja's favored element for the purpose of applying the spell focus feat gained from the elemental focus class ability?

kkplx
2013-08-08, 05:33 AM
Q 696

As (apparently intentionally NOT) mentioned in Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11444642&postcount=4), post #4:

Are there ways to get rid of racial HD in an ongoing campaign, OR at character creation when playing as a monster?

(As an example, take a Steel Dragon Wyrmling with 4 rHD [DoF, 140ff] - can you somehow remove the 4 HD and all the BAB, Save and Growth(?) bonuses tied to it, leaving your ECL at just Class Level & LA+2 ? )

TuggyNE
2013-08-08, 06:45 AM
A696 partial: There is no official mechanism for doing that. Monster classes and savage progressions come close, though. Beyond that, this is more a topic for its own thread, since it's a how-to, rather than a simple verification.

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-08, 07:02 AM
Q 697 a

Can the Detect Magic spell and higher-level spells that are modifications of this spell (such as Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) detect active and residual supernatural effects? I assume that these spells can't detect supernatural abilities while they are not in use. But can they detect supernatural effects that are always active (such as a pixie's Greater Invisibility, unless the pixie suppresses it), or that happen to be active right now (such as a werewolf's Alternate Form ability while it is in the form of a wolf)?

My next question is similar.

Q 697 b

Can the Detect Magic spell and higher-level spells that are modifications of this spell (such as Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) detect active and residual immortal magic? I assume that these spells can't detect a deity's magical powers while they are not in use. But can they detect magical divine interventions that are presently operative – as magic of "overwhelming" power?

I'm not sure whether these questions have clear answers within the RAW, but I couldn't interest anyone in them by starting a thread devoted to them, so here I am.

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-08, 08:25 AM
A 688, Q 693 Commentary

A 688 Maybe.

For any type of spell (including an attack spell) you can move afterward and Hide as part of that movement. You'll become visually apparent while casting, but you won't remain in that square. This option includes any actual movement, including a 5' step. There may be a penalty to Hide depending on your speed. (A 5' step necessitates a -5 Hide penalty because you have to go the full 5', rather than 2.5' at half speed; 2.5' won't actually move you out of your square.)

Q 693

Where do you get that a 5ft step induces the penalty? Moving faster than half your speed gives you the -5. A 5ft step only takes more than half your speed if your speed is lower than 10 ft, but greater than 5 ft (at which point you cannot take a 5 ft step at all). That does not come up very often.

Curmudgeon's calculation comes from the rule that making a Hide check without a –5 speed penalty requires you to move only half as far as your normal speed in a given length of time.

I myself would prefer not to allow making a Hide check while taking a five-foot step at all. I interpret the sniping rule ("...hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action") to mean that hiding while moving after attacking is irreducibly a move action and cannot be a five-foot step. However, if I did allow making a Hide check while taking a five-foot step, I would apply the –5 penalty, as Curmudgeon advised.

I agree with everything else Curmudgeon said, but I have another thing to add. In addition to spells that resemble mêlée or ranged attacks, there are spells that are more subtle, above all non-flashy illusions, divinations, and enchantments. I would argue, following the "Unobtrusive Spellcasting" rule (on page 117 of the Rules Compendium), that you can hide while casting these spells by making a Sleight of Hand check that beats all Spot checks.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-08, 08:34 AM
A 697 (a & b) No.

These spells only do what's listed in their description, which is to detect magical auras. Supernatural and other forms of magic only have auras if specifically stated. Deities always have divine auras, and these can be detected should they be within range; however, their particular magical abilities themselves do not have auras listed in their descriptions.

Andezzar
2013-08-08, 08:42 AM
Curmudgeon's calculation comes from the rule that making a Hide check without a –5 speed penalty requires you to move only half as far as your normal speed in a given length of time.No, that is not the rule. The rule refers to speed which is a well defined property. It does not say "if you move more than half the distance of what you have left in this round". I know of no creature that has a speed lower than 10ft but higher than 5ft. Only in this range is a 5ft step ever "greater than one-half but less than your normal speed"

I myself would prefer not to allow making a Hide check while taking a five-foot step at all. I interpret the sniping rule ("...hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action") to mean that hiding while moving after attacking is irreducibly a move action and cannot be a five-foot step. However, if I did allow making a Hide check while taking a five-foot step, I would apply the –5 penalty, as Curmudgeon advised.That is all well and good, but houserules and opinions are way beyond the scope of this thread.

I agree with everything else Curmudgeon said, but I have another thing to add. In addition to spells that resemble mêlée or ranged attacks, there are spells that are more subtle, above all non-flashy illusions, divinations, and enchantments. I would argue, following the "Unobtrusive Spellcasting" rule (on page 117 of the Rules Compendium), that you can hide while casting these spells by making a Sleight of Hand check that beats all Spot checks.This sleight of hand check conceals the spellcasting, not the character casting the spell. The poster asked for the latter.

Razanir
2013-08-08, 08:52 AM
Q 698 Can a half-elf with the half-dragon template (or any template for that matter) still take levels in half-elf paragon?

Andezzar
2013-08-08, 09:38 AM
A 698

By RAW, I'd say yes, because no template AFAIK changes the character's race, even though some change type and or subtype. Race is the only prerequisite for gaining level in paragon classes.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-08, 10:09 AM
Q699 Is there any ECL 1 Monstrous Humanoid?

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-08, 10:23 AM
Q & A 697 Invitation

A 697 (a & b) No.

These spells only do what's listed in their description, which is to detect magical auras. Supernatural and other forms of magic only have auras if specifically stated. Deities always have divine auras, and these can be detected should they be within range; however, their particular magical abilities themselves do not have auras listed in their descriptions.

Considered in isolation, the claim that "supernatural and other forms of magic only have auras if specifically stated" seems like a reiteration of the good advice that one shouldn't read anything into the rules that isn't there. However, if we apply this particular claim universally, the number of "forms of magic" that become detectable by the Detect Magic "tree" of spells (including Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) shrinks dramatically. Very few spell descriptions specifically mention any aura at all, so very few spells should manifest themselves as detectable magic auras. If we don't want to accept this consequence, we must assume that active or residual magic as such generally does manifest itself as a detectable aura. The only question is how far the term "magic" extends – and that is the question that I am asking.

This seems to me not to be a question that can be answered entirely within the RAW, so I will take it once again to a separate thread – with apologies. I just need to find a catchier title, I guess.

mattie_p
2013-08-08, 10:24 AM
A 699: Yes.

Anthropomorphic bat (from Savage Species) is a 1 HD, LA +0, Monstrous Humanoid. There are almost certainly others. Rather than propose numerous other answers, may I suggest you start a thread to discuss other options and their pros/cons?

Venger
2013-08-08, 02:15 PM
Q 700 Can I use expansion/compression when I am under the effect of metamorphosis?

ex: metamorphosis's HD cap is 15, so it in effect rules out most gargantuan/colossal monsters. could I turn into a mountain troll then manifest expansion to get gargantuan?

Arkusus
2013-08-08, 02:36 PM
Q 700 Can I use expansion/compression when I am under the effect of metamorphosis?

ex: metamorphosis's HD cap is 15, so it in effect rules out most gargantuan/colossal monsters. could I turn into a mountain troll then manifest expansion to get gargantuan?

So long as you are still capable of manifesting powers, absolutely. Mind you, it'll make fitting through doorways a bit trickier, but yeah.

Venger
2013-08-08, 03:14 PM
So long as you are still capable of manifesting powers, absolutely. Mind you, it'll make fitting through doorways a bit trickier, but yeah.

since they lack components, I don't see why that'd be a problem (unless I'm missing something?) lol. thank you

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-08, 04:03 PM
Q 701
Can Mortalbane be applied to Eldritch Claws?

re_e
2013-08-08, 05:38 PM
Q702
Is there any way to remove the swarm subtype?

Telok
2013-08-08, 06:25 PM
Q 703: Is the Artificer's Blast Rod infusion subject to spell resistance or a golems immunity to magic?

Arkusus
2013-08-09, 03:12 AM
Q704

So, spells like Bestow Curse can deal ability damage, but cannot reduce a score below 1...

After using Bestow Curse, can you then use a spell like Contagion to inflict ability damage to 0? Or will Bestow Curse automatically reduce it's effect till it's either not causing ability damage, or only reducing to 1?

TuggyNE
2013-08-09, 04:37 AM
A704: Bestow curse does not do ability damage, it applies a decrease. Therefore, it's unable to continue decreasing below 1, so it won't stack with contagion in that case.

Norin
2013-08-09, 07:35 AM
Q705:

Using the spell Spiritjaws can i grapple incorporeal creatures?

Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions.

Although the [Force] descriptor suggests that the spell affects incorporeal creatures like it was not incorporeal.

Sugashane
2013-08-09, 10:57 AM
Q 706

A fighter in full plate gets Freedom of Movement cast on him when he in very rough terrain. Next round the ambush occurs and the fight ensues. With him having Freedom of Movement active does his Max Dexterity Bonus go up?

Norin
2013-08-09, 11:01 AM
A706
No.

FoM does not affect max dex bonus in relation to armour worn.
It will let the fighter ignore movement penalties from the difficult terrain though.

Or did i not understand your question?

Sugashane
2013-08-09, 11:22 AM
A706
No.

FoM does not affect max dex bonus in relation to armour worn.
It will let the fighter ignore movement penalties from the difficult terrain though.

Or did i not understand your question?

No that was exactly what I was referring to. I wasn't sure if the spell would limit the restrictive nature armors have. Thank you for the answer.

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-09, 12:15 PM
Q702
Is there any way to remove the swarm subtype?

A 702 Partial

We can eliminate polymorphing as a possibility, at least, because according to the SRD: "A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate)."

There may be other possibilities, but a separate thread may be a better place to inquire about them.

Andezzar
2013-08-09, 12:40 PM
Q 707

Does Freedom of movement remove the speed reduction from wearing medium or heavy armor?

Codyage
2013-08-09, 01:36 PM
Q 708

Does a warforged with the Blueshine enhancement MIC pg. 9 have immunity to acid damage and rust? Since the Warforged's armor can be enchanted, does his entirety have the blueshine enhancement?

Arkusus
2013-08-09, 02:05 PM
Q709

So, the Elan has a racial ability which lets it use a power point to add 4 to it's saves as an immediate action.

If the Elan didn't have warning before the save (Say the attack came from an invisible enemy), would the Elan get a chance to add the bonus before rolling the dice?

Codyage
2013-08-09, 02:18 PM
Q 707

Does Freedom of movement remove the speed reduction from wearing medium or heavy armor?
A 707
No.

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

Heavy and medium armor change your speed, and are your normal movement. Think of it this way, if you have a movement penalty for being encumbered, that movement penalty won't go away, because you are still carrying the heavy load. The heavy load, becomes your normal movement.

Q709

So, the Elan has a racial ability which lets it use a power point to add 4 to it's saves as an immediate action.

If the Elan didn't have warning before the save (Say the attack came from an invisible enemy), would the Elan get a chance to add the bonus before rolling the dice?

A 709

Immediate Action

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time—even if it’s not your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed.

If the character is flat footed, he would not be allowed to use it. In this case, the attacker is invisible.

If the character for some reason was not flat footed. He can use it.

Arkhaic
2013-08-09, 05:05 PM
Q 710 What type of natural weapon are hooves (such as that of a light warhorse)?

Codyage
2013-08-09, 05:17 PM
Q 710 What type of natural weapon are hooves (such as that of a light warhorse)?

A 710

A hoof doesn't bite, rip, spear, or stab. Leaving a Slap/Slam, or tentacle. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons) I think hoof fits well in the Slap or Slam category for bludgeoning damage.

TuggyNE
2013-08-09, 05:35 PM
A705: No. [Force] spells do not treat their targets as corporeal; they merely do not suffer a 50% failure chance when attacking and cannot be ignored as mundane armor/barriers can be. Immunity to grappling, inability to make Str checks, and other properties of incorporeality are unaffected.

Andezzar
2013-08-09, 06:21 PM
Q 707 Clarification
A 707
No.

Heavy and medium armor change your speed, and are your normal movement. Think of it this way, if you have a movement penalty for being encumbered, that movement penalty won't go away, because you are still carrying the heavy load. The heavy load, becomes your normal movement.How is a movement penalty from armor or encumbrance more normal than a penalty from moving through difficult terrain? Both penalties are intrinsic to the situation and differ from movement without those conditions. I'm pretty sure "normal" is not defined in any D&D book. So we have to go with the dictionary definition. Whether you wear armor or are hindered by effects in the environment, both situation differ from the norm of an unencumbered unhindered character.

Codyage
2013-08-09, 07:25 PM
Q 707 ClarificationHow is a movement penalty from armor or encumbrance more normal than a penalty from moving through difficult terrain? Both penalties are intrinsic to the situation and differ from movement without those conditions. I'm pretty sure "normal" is not defined in any D&D book. So we have to go with the dictionary definition. Whether you wear armor or are hindered by effects in the environment, both situation differ from the norm of an unencumbered unhindered character.

Freedom of Movement

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, allow water breathing.

A 706 dispute, A 707

This is all Freedom of Movement does by RAW.

As the spell states, you are able to move and attack normally, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement.

Succeed on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as we well as succeed on grapple or escape artist checks made to escape a grapple or pin.

Move and attack normally underwater.

I myself never brought up Difficult Terrain, and as the spell itself states, it only seems to work for underwater as well.

Urpriest
2013-08-09, 08:00 PM
A 710

A hoof doesn't bite, rip, spear, or stab. Leaving a Slap/Slam, or tentacle. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons) I think hoof fits well in the Slap or Slam category for bludgeoning damage.

A 710 Contention:

Those are explicitly only the most common types of natural weapons. A Hoof is none of the above. Rather, it is a Hoof. In general, the name of a natural weapon is synonymous with its type.

Codyage
2013-08-09, 08:33 PM
A 710 Contention:

Those are explicitly only the most common types of natural weapons. A Hoof is none of the above. Rather, it is a Hoof. In general, the name of a natural weapon is synonymous with its type.

A 710 Continued
Okay, than show me where "Hoof" damage is listed, which book is it in because I can't find it.

Karnith
2013-08-09, 08:37 PM
A 710 Continued
Okay, than show me where "Hoof" damage is listed, which book is it in because I can't find it.
A 710 Continued
Check either the Monster Manual or the SRD's Horse entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm) for horses with hoof damage listed. Also note that your own SRD citation says that it lists "the most common" types of natural weapons, meaning that all natural weapons need not be classified as one of the listed types.

Any further discussion of this topic should probably take place in its own thread.

Urpriest
2013-08-09, 08:40 PM
A 710 Continued
Check either the Monster Manual or the SRD's Horse entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm) for horses with hoof damage listed.

Any further discussion of this topic should probably take place in its own thread.

To briefly clarify, we are discussing the type of natural weapon, not the type of damage it deals, as no one asked about the latter.

Magma Armor0
2013-08-09, 08:45 PM
Q711:
How, exactly, does enhancing weapons/armor work, as far as prices go?

if I want a Splitting, Force Shortbow, is the total cost (+3 enhancement--9,000+ +2 enhancement--4,000=13,000 or +3+2 enhancement=+5 enhancement for total cost 25,000? OR does it double the price of the second effect, per DMG 285--multiple different abilities--for a total cost of 17,000?). Thank you in advance.

Urpriest
2013-08-09, 08:55 PM
Q711:
How, exactly, does enhancing weapons/armor work, as far as prices go?

if I want a Splitting, Force Shortbow, is the total cost (+3 enhancement--9,000+ +2 enhancement--4,000=13,000 or +3+2 enhancement=+5 enhancement for total cost 25,000? OR does it double the price of the second effect, per DMG 285--multiple different abilities--for a total cost of 17,000?). Thank you in advance.

A 711

There is no such thing as a Splitting, Force Shortbow. Every magic weapon must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

If you were instead getting a +1 Splitting, Force Shortbow, you would add together the effective enhancement bonuses: +1+3+2=+6. The item is equivalent to a +6 item in terms of price, which costs 72,000gp. (Note that magic weapons are 2000gp times bonus squared, not 1000gp).

Codyage
2013-08-09, 09:05 PM
A 710 Continued
Check either the Monster Manual or the SRD's Horse entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm) for horses with hoof damage listed. Also note that your own SRD citation says that it lists "the most common" types of natural weapons, meaning that all natural weapons need not be classified as one of the listed types.

To briefly clarify, we are discussing the type of natural weapon, not the type of damage it deals, as no one asked about the latter.

Ah I see what happened, I mistook type of Natural Weapon, as the original poster asking for the damage type. I apologize.

Baphomet
2013-08-09, 09:33 PM
Q 712: Does a creature with Darkvision only see in black and white at all times, or can they see color under normal lighting conditions?

Vaern
2013-08-10, 01:10 AM
Q 712: Does a creature with Darkvision only see in black and white at all times, or can they see color under normal lighting conditions?
A 712
Only things observed through darkvision are restricted by its black-and-white quality. If there is light, then the creature is not using its darkvision to see and is therefore able to perceive color normally.

Andezzar
2013-08-10, 01:12 AM
This is all Freedom of Movement does by RAW.

As the spell states, you are able to move and attack normally, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement.

Succeed on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as we well as succeed on grapple or escape artist checks made to escape a grapple or pin.

Move and attack normally underwater.

I myself never brought up Difficult Terrain, and as the spell itself states, it only seems to work for underwater as well.That's it, the spell allows the subject to move and attack normally. This is a global statement. The "even under the influence of magic that impedes movement" part is not a a restriction it is merely a clarification. The statement most certainly does not mean that the subject cannot move and attack normally under any other condition.

Points two and three are also only clarifications how far the ability to move and attack normally reaches.

kkplx
2013-08-10, 01:18 AM
Actually, I'm gonna open a thread for this. Ignore please.

Andezzar
2013-08-10, 04:04 AM
Q 713

Where can I find stats for the tanarukk?

kkplx
2013-08-10, 05:10 AM
Q 714

When crafting magic items, do you need to meet the Caster Level mentioned for particular items in their description, or do you only need the ability to cast the spells that are required for their creation?
(Assuming you have the appropriate Item Creation Feat, and the creation of the item isn't coupled to a minimum level, like needing 3x the enhancement bonus as Caster Level for weapon enchantments)

Also, If a magic items is created, does it always assume the caster level mentioned in the source book (MiC for example), or does it assume the caster level of the creator? (assuming the 2nd is true, which led to the first question to begin with ^^)

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-10, 05:15 AM
A 714

Most magic items that are not weapons or armor do not have a specific caster level as a prerequisite. I believe the few that do have it mentioned separately.

With the exception of wands and scrolls which can be crafted at a higher level for an increased cost, items use the CL printed rather than the CL of the crafter.

kkplx
2013-08-10, 05:35 AM
A 714

Most magic items that are not weapons or armor do not have a specific caster level as a prerequisite. I believe the few that do have it mentioned separately.

With the exception of wands and scrolls which can be crafted at a higher level for an increased cost, items use the CL printed rather than the CL of the crafter.

Uh, every single item ever listed has a "Caster Level:" entry. The question is if that Caster Level is simply there for randomly rolled loot, or if it actually is the prerequisite for crafting the item, even if the "Prerequisites" entry doesn't require a level x Caster to be cast.

Therefore, if you can craft an item if you have the spell available, but not the CL mentioned in the Item's description (which per RAW wouldn't be a prerequisite), then the item should logically assume the crafter's Caster Level, not the (in this case higher) CL mentioned in the source. This ALSO means that an item crafted by a high level crafter could have a higher than normal CL.

Andezzar
2013-08-10, 06:07 AM
A 714

The "Caster Level:" entry is a property of the created item. It is for deducing how the item interacts with dispel magic and other abilities. It is not a prerequisite, and the creator's CL has nothing to do with that entry. Regardless of the creator's CL the item will always have a CL as described in the "Caster Level:" entry. If you want to create an item with a different CL, you have to follow the guidelines for custom items. Such an item will not be one of the standard items published in the books even if every other property matches those published in a book.

There are very few items (besides magic weapons and armors) that require the creator to have a minimum CL. The golem manual (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#golemManual) is one of them.

Urpriest
2013-08-10, 10:05 AM
Q 713

A 713
There are stats for them in Monsters of Faerun.

unseenmage
2013-08-10, 12:02 PM
A 714 contention

A 714
The "Caster Level:" entry is a property of the created item. It is for deducing how the item interacts with dispel magic and other abilities. It is not a prerequisite, and the creator's CL has nothing to do with that entry. Regardless of the creator's CL the item will always have a CL as described in the "Caster Level:" entry. If you want to create an item with a different CL, you have to follow the guidelines for custom items. Such an item will not be one of the standard items published in the books even if every other property matches those published in a book.

There are very few items (besides magic weapons and armors) that require the creator to have a minimum CL. The golem manual (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#golemManual) is one of them.
Emphasis mine.

This one is not (as in I find no RAW for it) and should not be true. Otherwise characters (specifically Articicers but spellcasters benefit as well) can effectively "cast" spells at higher CL just by searching for a listed high CL on an item.

Not all listed item CL are as low as they should be, some are arbitrarily high just for fluff reasons. Lower level characters making higher CL items is just asking for abuse.

Chronos
2013-08-10, 12:50 PM
This one is not (as in I find no RAW for it) and should not be true. Otherwise characters (specifically Articicers but spellcasters benefit as well) can effectively "cast" spells at higher CL just by searching for a listed high CL on an item.
How so? The items which can be used to cast a spell, such as potions, wands, and scrolls, all have variable caster level which is capped by the caster level of their creator. And for items that have artificially-inflated CLs, what does it matter if a low-level character can create them?

Norin
2013-08-10, 12:50 PM
Q 713

A713:
Fully statted out for use as player character race in Races of Faerûn p.124.

mattie_p
2013-08-10, 01:03 PM
A 714 contention

Emphasis mine.

Not all listed item CL are as low as they should be, some are arbitrarily high just for fluff reasons. Lower level characters making higher CL items is just asking for abuse.

A 714 (Regardless): The best way to answer this is to quote from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemDescriptions) word for word.

Caster Level
The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

Short Answer: Andezzar is correct.

unseenmage
2013-08-10, 01:52 PM
A 714 (Regardless): The best way to answer this is to quote from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemDescriptions) word for word.

Short Answer: Andezzar is correct.

Andezzar is both correct and incorrect. Which is why I emphasized the incorrect portion of his answer. Even by your quoted text an item created by a player meeting the prerequisites earlier than the item's listed CLdoes not use the Custom Magic Item Rules. It just uses the quoted text from the SRD.

Items created with a different CL than what is listed do not equal Custom Magic Items.

I apologize if I did not make that clear. I'll not be posting about this again as discussion of a potentially nebulous rules is beyond the scope of this thread.

Metahuman1
2013-08-10, 04:21 PM
Q 715 Are there any Vestiges that grant flight? If so, what sorces and if applicable, page numbers, can they be found on?

Q 716 I a martial initiator takes a prestige class that designates getting new maneuvers/stances at certain levels, such as the Shadow Sun Ninja (Note: That's just for the sake of an example.) does he also get the benefit of progressing his base class maneuver advancement at 1 for every 2 levels of the prestige class?

Chronos
2013-08-10, 04:34 PM
A 716:
Levels in a ToB prestige class (or possibly any prestige class at all; the rules are unclear) gives you a 1:1 advancement of your initiator level (which determines what level of maneuver you are eligible for, and, in some cases, the potency of your maneuvers). Levels in other classes give you half advancement of your initiator level. Nothing progresses your base class maneuvers known except levels in that base class.

RFLS
2013-08-10, 05:05 PM
Q 717:

How would Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star Ranger, Sword of the Arcane Order, and Master Spellthief interact when placed in an optimal order on a Spellthief 1/Wizard 1/Ranger 7?

Arkusus
2013-08-10, 07:06 PM
Q718

Can a Handy Haversack be pierced from inside like a bag of holding can? Basically, can a player put a bunch of arrows inside for later use safely?

Verditude
2013-08-10, 07:58 PM
Q719

Is there a rule, in 3.0 or 3.5, that if a creature has both Regeneration and a way of being immune to nonlethal damage, its Regeneration is instead treated as Fast Healing (or something similar)?

Urpriest
2013-08-10, 08:07 PM
Q719

Is there a rule, in 3.0 or 3.5, that if a creature has both Regeneration and a way of being immune to nonlethal damage, its Regeneration is instead treated as Fast Healing (or something similar)?

A719

No such rule exists.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-10, 09:23 PM
A 718

The construction of a Heward's Handy Haversack is substantially different from that of a Bag of Holding:
It is constructed of finely tanned leather, and the straps have brass hardware and buckles.
This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size. The similarity to a Bag of Holding in the Heward's Handy Haversack description is that they both contain nondimensional spaces; that's the full extent of their commonality. (Also note that this similarity is only mentioned for the two side pouches, not the main compartment.) Only the Bag of Holding item description mentions the danger of piercing.

You can place arrows inside without danger. You will, however, need a move action to retrieve each one.

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 12:19 AM
Q 720

How many move actions do you need if you retrieve an item which contains other items from heward's handy haversack? For example a quiver containing 20 arrows.

unseenmage
2013-08-11, 12:59 AM
Q721

Is there a method of Alchemical flight? Especially looking for nonmagical flight.

RFLS
2013-08-11, 01:01 AM
Q 722:

Would Dragonborn erase an inherited template, such as Dark from ToM?

Lateral
2013-08-11, 01:13 AM
Q 723

What action is it for a pyrohydra to use its fire jets? It doesn't explicitly say, and I can't find any place where it's called out as a supernatural ability so the general rule for those doesn't apply.

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 01:18 AM
A 723 Possibly

Since the creature "breathes jets of fire", I'd say it is a breath weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#breathWeapon), whose action at least typically is a standard action

Telok
2013-08-11, 07:15 AM
A 720: From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack)
Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does. Pulling out a quiver is a move action that leaves you holding the quiver in your hand. Removing arrows from the quiver will require either your other hand or dropping or wearing the quiver.

A 721: There are no alchemical flight items printed. There are some woods which may come close or provide similar benefits but they may or may not be in your game depending on the setting and the DM. For non-magical flight your best bet is a flying race, winged template, or to convince your DM that you can build a glider.

Q 703: Is the Artificer's Blast Rod infusion subject to spell resistance or a golems immunity to magic?Any takers? I haven't gotten any good answers elsewhere on the net.

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 08:02 AM
Pulling out a quiver is a move action that leaves you holding the quiver in your hand. Removing arrows from the quiver will require either your other hand or dropping or wearing the quiver.
Well the thing is you are not pulling a "specific item" form the handy haversack, you are pulling 21 specific items (1 quiver and 20 arrows) out of the haversack

Sylian
2013-08-11, 09:29 AM
Q 724

How much xp does it cost to Scribe a level 0 spell? 0 xp, 0.5 xp or 1 xp?

kkplx
2013-08-11, 10:36 AM
Q 724

How much xp does it cost to Scribe a level 0 spell? 0 xp, 0.5 xp or 1 xp?

A 724

0.5*1*25=12.5gp base cost
12.5*0.04= 0.5xp, rounded up, so 1xp

*edit*
keep in mind that you have the option to scribe 1d3 spells per scroll - put 2 level 0 spells per scroll to avoid having to round up the 0.5xp cost

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 11:35 AM
A 724

0.5*1*25=12.5gp base cost
12.5*0.04= 0.5xp, rounded up, so 1xpWhile the table in the SRD and the DMG (p. 287) say 1xp, this violates the rule for rounding fractions. According to that rule you should always round down.

kkplx
2013-08-11, 12:30 PM
While the table in the SRD and the DMG (p. 287) say 1xp, this violates the rule for rounding fractions. According to that rule you should always round down.

According to that exact case I've drawn the conclusion that whenever fractions are involved, you choose what is less beneficiary to the player - in this case 1xp cost, instead of 0. just like you'd round up the UMD check for casting spell storing item for a cantrip. But that's obviously a personal way of handling it.

Sugashane
2013-08-11, 01:01 PM
Q. 725

Does the Seeking enchantment mean that you cannot miss with the ranged weapon (if aimed in an occupied space) or does it just negate all miss chances from concealment and allow invisible enemies to be hit normally (if aimed in the correct square)?

Ruethgar
2013-08-11, 01:15 PM
A 722 Yes. Dragonborn was written with the words "original race" which would include what you were born with(arguably this may or may not include acquired templates). If it said it removed the "base race" racial traits it would be a bit more of a grey area.

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 01:31 PM
A 722 Contention

Where does it say that the traits of a template become part of the traits of a race? They are traits of the character with the template but not traits of the race that character belongs to.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-08-11, 01:55 PM
Q 726
What counts as "ongoing control" for the purposes of Protection From Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm) and similar spells? Is it any enchantment (compulsion) with a non-instantaneous duration? Is it just dominate?

kkplx
2013-08-11, 02:14 PM
Q 727

If an Artificer readies his action to counterspell a creature, could he only use whatever Spell trigger and -completion items he has in his hands to counterspell, or could he also access any such item that is retrievable as a free action (as per wand bracelet, spare hand etc.) to complete his readied counterspell action?

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 02:54 PM
A 726

Ask your DM. It is not clear by RAW.There has already been a discussion about that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293248).

Curmudgeon
2013-08-11, 05:04 PM
A 725

Seeking negates miss chances, but has no effect on your ability to overcome a target's AC.

A 727

Counterspelling uses the Ready special initiative action. As part of Ready, you may establish a response plan involving a standard action, a move action, or a free action. Your plan may not involve multiple actions, so a free action plus whatever action is required for casting the counterspell exceeds what's allowed by the RAW.

Telok
2013-08-11, 05:18 PM
Well the thing is you are not pulling a "specific item" form the handy haversack, you are pulling 21 specific items (1 quiver and 20 arrows) out of the haversack

You'd better never store a spell component pouch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellComponentPouch) in there then. Because it will take forever to pull out an infinite number of little balls of guano and sulfur.

The quiver is a container, as such it is a single object regardless of it's contents. It is silly to take 21 times as long to pull out a quiver with arrows in it as opposed to pulling out an empty quiver.

Andezzar
2013-08-11, 05:31 PM
I agree that the intention probably is to be able to pull a container with items within out of the haversack with a single move action. The rules however do not say so.

If you go by that logic, what prevents the whole party to fly with a single fly spell by holding on to the subject of the spell?

Lateral
2013-08-11, 05:54 PM
Q 728

Do spellcasters have line of sight and/or line of effect to targets behind a wall with arrow slits in it?

spainchaud
2013-08-11, 05:54 PM
Q729

When a weapon hits a babau demon, it must make a reflex save to avoid acid damage. Is this save the same as the characters reflex save, or is it a special weapon save?

Urpriest
2013-08-11, 06:00 PM
Q728

When a weapon hits a babau demon, it must make a reflex save to avoid acid damage. Is this save the same as the characters reflex save, or is it a special weapon save?

A729

Magic weapons have their own saving throw bonuses. You use them or the character's, whichever is higher.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-11, 06:08 PM
A 728
An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect. Arrow slits are purposely designed to give the archers protection, including from spells. You would have line of sight to only the tiny area directly behind the arrow slit, and no line of effect.

RFLS
2013-08-11, 07:41 PM
Q 730:

How would Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star Ranger, Sword of the Arcane Order, and Master Spellthief interact when placed in an optimal order on a Spellthief 1/Wizard 1/Ranger 7?

A.A.King
2013-08-11, 07:51 PM
Q 731

Do you qualify for Shadow Sun Ninja by knowing one 2nd-level Setting Sun maneuver and one 1st-level Shadow Hand Maneuver (or rephrased: does your 2nd-Level Setting Sun/Shadow Hand maneuver known also count as your Setting Sun/Shadow Hand maneuver known of any level)?

RFLS
2013-08-11, 07:53 PM
Q 731

Do you qualify for Shadow Sun Ninja by knowing one 2nd-level Setting Sun maneuver and one 1st-level Shadow Hand Maneuver (or rephrased: does your 2nd-Level Setting Sun/Shadow Hand maneuver known also count as your Setting Sun/Shadow Hand maneuver known of any level)?

A 731

Yes.

Chronos
2013-08-11, 07:57 PM
A 729 elaboration:

A magic item's saving throws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems) are all 2 plus half the item's caster level.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-11, 08:12 PM
If you go by that logic, what prevents the whole party to fly with a single fly spell by holding on to the subject of the spell?

The subject's carrying capacity:

The subject of a fly spell can charge but not run, and it cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load, plus any armor it wears.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-11, 08:24 PM
Re: Q 730

Your "optimal order" specification makes this a matter of opinion rather than a simple question. I suggest you open a new thread to start a discussion on the topic.

kkplx
2013-08-11, 08:26 PM
Q 732

Quite a few of the items listed in Magic of Eberron (P110+) all list a Caster Level, but not the Spells OR Infusions needed to create them - is the assumption therefore that ANYONE can craft them, given that they've reached the listed caster level?
(XP, Gold and Item Creation Feats are still listed as requirements, but many miss the spell involved in the creation - if this means that they are in fact not powered by permanent spells, this would be a nice fluff aspect for their interaction with Infusions)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-11, 10:19 PM
A 732

If it doesn't have a spell listed as a requirement than you don't need to know a spell to make the item.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-11, 10:42 PM
Sheriff: This thread has reached to 50 page mark and a new one was started here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15803584).Please take any unanswered questions and repost them there (with whatever new number they need in that thread).