PDA

View Full Version : So I am making a pen and paper game with a friend.

slaydemons
2013-05-28, 09:31 PM
Hello folks of giant in the playground, while I am not sure this thread belongs here I am pretty sure it doesn't belong in homebrew as it isn't done and doesn't need analysis yet.

I need some people who would like to help out with this pen and paper game I am making. It is called Devastation:the corruption of life and is a game where it is both high-fantasy and a post-apocalyptic world. Games that have high fantasy normally have some sort of magic, this one does too, except the magic comes from minerals in the ground that have had their molecules altered by a type of radiation and react to blood. People can jab these minerals into them to cause a reaction in a variety of ways. As well as some people having these minerals growing inside them, their bodies act like miniature radiation generators for these minerals and can cause reactions inside their bodies.

That is pretty much what I have so far I have to actually make things for it but I was thinking it should be a d20 game with changes on how the magic works and a different set of skills. if you would like to help out and have an easy way of communication such as facebook, skype, etc etc.. please send me a message and you can join my friend and me help make what seems like to both of us an interesting game.

Mods if this does in fact belong in another area please tell me so I may correct my mistake.

Pyromancer999
2013-05-29, 12:37 AM
It seems this would belong in the Homebrew Design forums, as it pertains to creating your own stuff.

slaydemons
2013-05-29, 05:44 PM
but at the same time on the homebrew forums it says "post your custom creations for critique and review." but my creation isn't anywhere near completed and doesn't need review, which is why I posted it on friendly banter for a casual conversation and something that doesn't quite fit in another forums. you can see my confusion I assume?

Razanir
2013-05-29, 10:24 PM
but at the same time on the homebrew forums it says "post your custom creations for critique and review." but my creation isn't anywhere near completed and doesn't need review, which is why I posted it on friendly banter for a casual conversation and something that doesn't quite fit in another forums. you can see my confusion I assume?

You can still post in homebrew for conversation like this. It's not as common, but it definitely happens. Sometimes you just have an idea but don't know where to start

Komodo
2013-06-03, 05:46 AM
Actually, for something fluffy like this without hard rulesets, it would probably go into world-building, which is a sub-forum of homebrew.

On topic...

When you said that "magic comes from minerals," the first word that came to my mind was "midichlorians." I'm not sure how much of a Star Wars guy you are, but the reason everyone hates that word is because something asnebulous as "the force" or "magic" immediately becomes less interesting when you slap a feeble science-y explanation for its existence onto it.

My advice would be to choose magic or science as an explanation for things, but not to mix them unless you have thought about it most thoroughly. While I don't know what exactly you're going for in your setting, what you've presented here gives me a feeling of Fallout meets Bioshock. In case you haven't played either of those games: Fallout is a game in which you wander a post-apocalyptic wasteland, under constant threat of nomadic bandits, radiation, and gibbering mutants, and Bioshock is a game in which you inject yourself with syringes full of strange blue liquid that give you various powers, including lightning blasts, fireballs, and the ability to shoot bees you grew out of your hand. Bioshock uses what's essentially a technobabble explanation: the powers come from a chemical extracted from a sea slug, and they call them "plasmids." I might advise you to try and use a certain future-y name for your setting's powers as well; calling it "magic" means that audiences might come to your game with a certain level of expectation that the game is no designed to cater to. Hope I was helpful!

Finlam
2013-06-04, 10:52 AM
On topic...

When you said that "magic comes from minerals," the first word that came to my mind was "midichlorians."

The first thing I thought of was the splices from BioShock. If it is like that, it could be kind of cool.

Gray Mage
2013-06-05, 09:04 AM
Am I the only one that thought of Skies of Arcadia? >.>

Anyway, it's not common, but it isn't without precedent. Do you have something in mind about magic schools/subtypes?