PDA

View Full Version : Explosives in PF

Afool
2013-05-28, 09:41 PM
I'm joining a PF game with an Explorer Steampunk theme over at mythweaver (think the Odyssey in Steampunk England (on a Zeppelin) if the other side of the Atlantic just fell off into a void) and I've been trying to work out a character concept.

I've tried out a map maker (which didn't work for reasons) and I currently have a Gnome Siege Engineer in mind (Cannons EVERYWHERE!), but I've realized that moving the Cannon around would become a *bit* impracticable (and a bit more of a feat investment than would be wise, as to be capable without a Cannon) so I've decided that I'd like to go into explosives. This way I can keep my decently high Know: Engineering and it still apply to my theme.

Just one little itty bitty problem. I don't know very many explosives that do any sort of decent boom per say. The GM has a rule of nothing flat out magic with the stipulation that, if it can be refluffed to fit into Steampunk then it works.

What I have in mind now is a straight Gnome Alchemist (ACF Saboteur), but like I said, my issue is my lack of knowledge about various potential explosives. At the moment we can assume money is no abject and that any source is fine (as long as it can be properly sited).

Zubrowka74
2013-05-29, 11:34 AM
Have you tried Nikon instead ?

Afool
2013-05-29, 01:52 PM
What's Nikon? I tried googling it (with various references to RPGs, D&D, PF,and explosives) and the only things I've found is a camera, and several characters (and a ST civilization) by the same name.

Coidzor
2013-05-29, 03:34 PM
My understanding is that the alchemist's bombs are the only real source of explosives in pathfinder without bringing in outside material.

Well, other than alchemist's fire...

Edenbeast
2013-05-29, 03:38 PM
If it goes steampunky, then have a look at these:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/louis-porter-jr-design/machinesmith
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/interjection-games/tinker
I quite like the machinesmith, but the tinker is funny too. They can both do explosives and have an egineering feel to them.

zimmerwald1915
2013-05-29, 05:09 PM
At the moment we can assume money is no abject and that any source is fine (as long as it can be properly sited).

I'm posting from a phone, so you'll have to wait a while for links, but the trapper ranger archetype can create explosives and attach them to ranged ammunition. It's not really any better than what an alchemist can do, but the option exists. There also exist something called "fuse grenades" available for purchase. I believe, too, that you can rig some of the bigger seige firearms to explode on purpose, though it's a big investment.

Zubrowka74
2013-05-29, 08:36 PM
What's Nikon? I tried googling it (with various references to RPGs, D&D, PF,and explosives) and the only things I've found is a camera, and several characters (and a ST civilization) by the same name.

Canon is also a camera. :smallbiggrin:

Crasical
2013-05-29, 09:41 PM
I'm posting from a phone, so you'll have to wait a while for links, but the trapper ranger archetype can create explosives and attach them to ranged ammunition. It's not really any better than what an alchemist can do, but the option exists. There also exist something called "fuse grenades" available for purchase. I believe, too, that you can rig some of the bigger seige firearms to explode on purpose, though it's a big investment.

Fuse grenades are.... awkward. I was super-intrigued by the possibility of combining that with the launching crossbow to create a fantasy grenade launcher, but even assuming you are allowed to load an unlit grenade in the first round, then light and fire it in a second, the randomized timer means the enemy has time to flee, or worse, can pick the thing up and throw it back at you...

Afool
2013-05-31, 02:39 PM
My understanding is that the alchemist's bombs are the only real source of explosives in pathfinder without bringing in outside material.

Well, other than alchemist's fire...

Alright then, I'll check with my GM about opening up other sources, but it should be good. Let's see what other books/editions have.

If it goes steampunky, then have a look at these:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/louis-porter-jr-design/machinesmith
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/interjection-games/tinker
I quite like the machinesmith, but the tinker is funny too. They can both do explosives and have an egineering feel to them.

I've taken a look at the classes, and they're interesting and I have quite a few ideas to use them for other games, but they aren't quite my cup of tea here.

I took a look at the trapper ranger archetype and I started a maniacal giggle. It isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I would love to set one up as a bad guy that a party would have to get through his "personal" trap house to get something. That or infiltrating an enemy camp and trapping EVERYTHING while they are away :smallbiggrin:

I took a look at the fuse grenade and I see the potential for traps and infiltration, but I don't think that it would be practical in shorter combats.

If there are enemies with Siege Firearms, I now know what I must do :smallbiggrin: if you could link to the rules for that, it'd be much appreciated.

Canon is also a camera. :smallbiggrin:

That's not punny. :smallamused:

Fuse grenades are.... awkward. I was super-intrigued by the possibility of combining that with the launching crossbow to create a fantasy grenade launcher, but even assuming you are allowed to load an unlit grenade in the first round, then light and fire it in a second, the randomized timer means the enemy has time to flee, or worse, can pick the thing up and throw it back at you...

I agree, though considering the more advanced mechanical setting, I think my GM might allow preset fuse grenades (an extra 2d6 in a 15th level game shouldn't be too much).

Afool
2013-06-01, 07:24 PM
Is there any more interest in the topic? :smallfrown:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-01, 07:28 PM
You can always turn a fire lance into an explosive, if you wanted to.

Afool
2013-06-01, 09:13 PM
How? I see that it's listed under firearms, but I haven't found where the rules are for sabotaging a firearm (siege or otherwise).

And I asked my GM and he approved about finding explosives in other books as long as I run them by him first.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-01, 09:36 PM
So, you see, the fire lance is, well... terrible. The idea is to take advantage of how terrible it is to turn it into a semi-reliable makeshift explosive.

To do this you will need:

A person untrained with firearms.
An alchemical cartridge (I recommend entangling or flare)
A fire lance
Something to break a firelance with (a big rock should do)

The process is as such:

The First lance starts with a misfire chance of 1-4 (20%)
Break the first lance, increasing the misfire chance to 1-8 (40%)
Now, as an untrained person load the weapon, increasing the misfire chance to 1-12 (60%)
Finally, make sure you load it with an alchemical cartridge, increasing the misfire chance to 1-14 (70%)

You end up with a 70% chance for it to blow up. The blast would do half-1d6 piercing damage to all creatures in a 5ft radius, Reflex save DC 12 for half damage, and all creatures within 20ft are dazzled, Fort save DC 15 negates. You could try a similar trick with the entangle cartridge. That would target a reflex save.

Afool
2013-06-01, 11:23 PM
That... sounds like a very useful to deliver alchemical effects and is an awesome way to take advantage of the misfire mechanic, there's only the small problem of the DC.

We're playing a 15th level Steampunk game so I think that a decent amount of the enemies we'd face would be able to pass the checks with little problem (Though if I manage to get a stockpile *hmmm*....)

Right now I'm trying to get a better idea about the various types of explosives available and possible in a PF or 3.X game.

Oh and "Guns Are Everywhere" so finding someone non-proficient with firearms would actually be a bit difficult.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-01, 11:29 PM
In Pathfinder there is, in terms of raw explosives
- Gunpowder Kegs
- Alchemist Fire (kind of)

And nothing else immediately comes to mind. In 3.5 there are also hand grenade like weapons/tools. I think they're in the races of dragon book. Let me check.*

*Ah yes, Ditherbombs. The strongest deal 1d6x1d8 acid damage. They also ignore stone hardness. Page 122/123

Jett Midknight
2013-06-01, 11:29 PM
I've done a bit of Pathfinder, and really the only thing that I know of that falls into the category of explosives would be Alchemist Bombs and Alchemist Fire.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-02, 01:11 AM
A Gunslinger, or other character with the Gunsmithing feat, may craft Powder Kegs (100 shots worth of powder) 1/day for 100gp. If the setting has Commonplace/Guns Everywhere, this cost drops to 25gp or 10gp, respectively. They explode for 5d6 each, 20ft radius, reflex DC 15/half, and can make a chain reaction of exploding kegs.

If you plan it right, you can get a pretty big boom on the cheap. Dump dozens of them out of a Bag of Holding, perhaps? Who's up for a bombing run? :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2013-06-02, 01:15 AM
A Gunslinger, or other character with the Gunsmithing feat, may craft Powder Kegs (100 shots worth of powder) 1/day for 100gp. If the setting has Commonplace/Guns Everywhere, this cost drops to 25gp or 10gp, respectively. They explode for 5d6 each, 20ft radius, reflex DC 15/half, and can make a chain reaction of exploding kegs.

If you plan it right, you can get a pretty big boom on the cheap. Dump dozens of them out of a Bag of Holding, perhaps? Who's up for a bombing run? :smallbiggrin:
Combine with shrink item for extra carrying capacity.:smallamused:
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning, smells like . . . victory!

Slipperychicken
2013-06-02, 01:42 AM
Combine with shrink item for extra carrying capacity.:smallamused:
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning, smells like . . . victory!

That makes me think artillery.

If you have an airship, maybe you can load powder-kegs into a special-made ballista? They're only 5lb, much less than normal ballista ammunition.

Obviously, you have the old classic of filling a cart with kegs, then driving it at (or just adjacent to) the target and bailing out. Pretend to be a fellow traveller and engage him in conversation, get off to "take a leak", then blow it up in his face. Or just set it up as a roadside bomb with a really good Disguise check (just put it under some "normal" goods and/or keep a tarp over it all so no-one sees). Now all you need is remote detonation...

In a game with magic, an Explosive Rune would be all too easy for triggering a pile of explosives. You could just shoot the pile of kegs, or use that Alchemist Discovery for a time-bomb.

Fyermind
2013-06-02, 01:53 AM
Re romote detination:
Mage hand and a tindertwig