PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Is there some metion about sorcerer's origin?

isildur
2013-05-29, 01:32 PM
In pathfinder, there is so many bloodline. and 4e.

but 3.5e? I see PHB, CArc, CMag, DMG. but there are only one guess.

'maybe' dragon blood.

is that all?

tyckspoon
2013-05-29, 01:42 PM
3.5 does not assume Sorcerers come from any particular bloodline; if you want yours to be descended from fey/outsiders/living too close to a source of natural magical radiation/whatever that is almost purely a roleplaying consideration and does not have mechanical influence (although some books do push the 'every sorcerer has draconic blood' thing a bit too hard, it is not required or assumed elsewhere.)

That said, if you want your Sorcerer's heritage to be more relevant in 3.5 there are a number of feats that can help reflect that; there are sets of Draconic/Fey/Aberration heritage feats scattered through some books that grant abilities similar to Pathfinder's bloodline powers, and Dragon Compendium has a bunch of bloodline feats that grant extra thematically appropriate Spells Known.

Mystral
2013-05-29, 02:07 PM
It's up to you where you got your innate talent. Heritage from fey, fiends, dragons? Strong magical talent that just crops up? Your mother got hit by lightning while pregnant and now you have an innate talent for electricity spells? It's up to you.

Most people go with the dragon blood, though.

Eldan
2013-05-29, 02:19 PM
You can have your heritage be whatever you want, really. There's material if you want to build more on that, though. There's bloodline feats. These can be taken by anyone, though many tend to be quite useful on a sorcerer. I remember Dragon, Fey and Fiendish, but there's probably more. Also a few prestige classes, certainly for dragons, fey, fiends and celestials.

If you want your sorcerous bloodline to be from, I don't know, Araneae or Rakshasa, no one's stopping you either.

Urpriest
2013-05-29, 02:21 PM
Just to add to the consensus here, 3.5 Sorcerors weren't meant to be exclusively bloodline-based. They were characters with talent at magic that dramatically outstripped their knowledge. That could come from a bloodline, but it doesn't need to. The whole "every Sorceror has a bloodline" thing is a PF/4e misinterpretation of the concept.

isildur
2013-05-29, 03:13 PM
Yes, that why i use 'origin', instead of 'blood'.

ArcturusV
2013-05-29, 03:19 PM
Only other origin for sorcerers I can think of really mentioned is the Sorcerers in Rokugan. Instead of them being "born with it", the sorcerers in that setting actually do train to become sorcerers by reading forbidden lore, or training as Master/Apprentice under another sorcerer, or forming a contract with a demon.

Which I suppose marks it out as the exception to the general rule that the game suggests or postulates that Sorcerers come from just a well spring of natural talent rather than any sort of training.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-29, 05:17 PM
There's the bloodline feats in Dragon Compendium too. Air, anarchic, axiomatic, celestial, draconic, earth, fey, fiendish, fire, illithid, necromantic, plant, serpent, and water. Each adds spells known and gives restrictions on what you can cast.

Diovid
2013-05-30, 02:35 AM
The books Dragon Magic and Races of the Dragon imply a relationship between dragons and at least some sorcerers. To a lesser extent this is also featured in Complete Arcane and Dragons of Eberron.