PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wizard Spell Question

Jett Midknight
2013-05-29, 02:30 PM
Hello, I'm new here but I had a question regarding the spells a 1st level Wizard could cast. According to Pathfinder if you have a high enough Intelligence you get to cast additional spells. If you have a 17 Intelligence for example, you get an additional 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spell. Does this mean a 1st level Wizard with a 17 Int could cast 3rd level spells? The only thing I could really find on Pathfinder was this:

"To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wizard's spell is 10 + the spell level + the wizard's Intelligence modifier.

A wizard can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Wizard. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells)."

This seems to imply they could cast 3rd levels spells, which seems unbalanced to me. I would appreciate any help on this ruling.

Zherog
2013-05-29, 02:33 PM
You only get bonus spells to spell levels you can already cast. Note that some classes (not wizard, though) will give you "0" spells per day. In that case, you get bonus spells only for that level.

eggynack
2013-05-29, 02:34 PM
No. The spells per day table tells you what level spells you can access, and you only have access to 0th and 1st level spells at level one. You get a number of 3rd level spells that's defined by a null set until level 5.

Edit: My answer, though it beat with the heart of all humanity, was too late by seconds. Truly, I am as the wizard. Just as the wizard could not cast spells as quickly as the original poster believed, so too could I not post an answer as quickly as I would like. The only deserved fate, for a man such as I, is to be swordsage'd.

I'm in a good mood though, cause I just remembered that purple was the color I was using for drama. I had forgotten the specific purpose I had assigned it.